Hi,

I just had a story idea -- one which I find too disturbing to work on myself, but one which has the potential to be a very powerful, angsty story. I got the idea while reading Dandello's excellent, if also depressing, What is Lost in the Mists of Time .

Despite donating some of his life force to Jimmy, Clark still ages extremely slowly. When he is 90 chronologically, he is still in his early thirties biologically. Lois had died about a couple decades earlier. Clark's primary pleasure has been to be an active part of his family's life. He is close with all of his grandchildren, but there is one grand-daughter with whom he has always has a special affinity. As the girl has become a woman, he gradually realizes, to his horror, why he has always felt so close to her -- she is Lois reincarnate. And by the time she has reached adulthood, his grandfatherly feelings of affection have become tinged with amourous feelings as well. She is, after all, his Soul Mate. But she is also his grand daughter, and so he is repulsed by those feelings. The grand daughter is similarly an emotional mess.

What happens next? The only possible way to a happy ending that I can think of would be if Wells went back a couple of decades and convinced Clark to do something which resulted in his death and subsequent reincarnation, thereby letting him once again be in the same generation, and no longer biologically related, to the young reincarnation of Lois.

As I said, I think this has the potential for being a powerful tale, but - even though I came up with the idea myself - it is too warped for my tastes. And I must admit to finding the whole reincarnation concept distasteful anyway. So if anyone else wishes to weave the yarn, be my guest.

Joy,
Lynn