Well, I took a stab at it. A couple stabs, actually. I've got a couple companion pieces here. Just a slight difference in the writing, but I hope the feeling is changed a lot.

---Midnight #1---

The cape, once bright and proud, lay in soiled tatters in the corner. What was once a symbol of Truth, of Justice, and – most of all – of Hope, now held nothing but memories of disaster and failure. Truth was no longer resplendent. Truth was screams of terror, cries of despair, the vacant stares of the dead. There had been no justice tonight. The young, the elderly, the innocent – none of them had been spared from the abyss of loss and death. Hope was lost here in the dark of his bedroom, alone with the knowledge he could never do enough.

---Midnight #2---

The cape, once bright and proud, lay in soiled tatters in the corner. What was once a symbol of Truth, of Justice, and – most of all – of Hope, now held nothing but memories of disaster and failure. Truth was no longer resplendent. Truth was screams of terror, cries of despair, the vacant stares of the dead. There had been no justice tonight. The young, the elderly, the innocent – none had been spared from the abyss of loss and death. Hope would be found in the dark of his bedroom, with the woman who believed whatever he could do was enough.

"Lois Lane is Clark Kent's Superman." - Brian Miller