Aha! There's the Female Hawk twist! There's usually one somewhere in your stories. clap

I love the parallels between Jane's secret and Clark's secret. He can totally understand what Jane's going through and extrapolate it into his own life. What would have happened if Jane's back story had actually been Lois's? What if she had the super big secret, she was keeping from Clark? Hmmmm.

It seemed to me that both Lois and Clark took Jane's side of things, which bodes well for Clark revealing his secret to Lois. They've known each other for less than 24 hours, though. It's clear that they both care about each other and want *more* of their relationship, but I can see why Clark would be hesitant to reveal his secret so soon in their relationship, especially to such a terrific investigative reporter. I'm not surprised that Lois nosed out that Clark had a secret, the way he defended Jane so adamantly as if had considered this issue prior to walking into Shane's house.

I wonder if Jane's friendship, idol-worship, of Lois was, in a way, a plea for help. She no longer wanted to carry the burden of this secret and maybe the best way for it to be revealed would be is Lois figured it out. Or maybe it has to do with one of the reasons canon Clark is drawn to Lois, that if Jane/Clark can be friends with such a great reporter who doesn't have an inkling about who she/he really is, then it means her/his secret is all the more safe.

I agree with KathyB:
I have to agree with the above post that there may be too much here to figure out in one morning. With his high level of anger (Dude, did you ever think that she was afraid you would act exactly like you are NOW?? And you just proved her right to be afraid??), I'm not sure Jane should marry him today, even if he has a change of heart and agrees to show up at the church. Yes, she kept something big from him and they need to work that out. But he also needs to earn her trust back after reacting the way he did.

I know I'm biased, but I think that Shane's betrayal is just as bad as Jane's here. Not only did he refuse to talk to her about it and work out his feelings *with her*, but he told her secret to several other people. I know he had to tell the secret to explain himself, but the fact remains that by lashing out with such vehemence and anger, he proved himself to be selfishly thinking more of himself than of the woman he supposedly loves. He hasn't said one word about how awful and scary it must have been for Jane to grow up the way she did, in and out of foster homes, always wondering if her family was going to come back to hurt her, always afraid someone would find out her secret. (Heh, yeah, not biased at all. [Lol] ) All he's thinking about right now is how that might affect *him* as her husband.
Would Jane still want to marry the man who spilled her secret to everyone? I agree that she should have told Shane earlier, but being that she's embarrassed by her past and afraid that he might reject her for something she can't control (her past and family), I can see why she didn't tell him... or kept postponing it. In a way, what if her secret had been different. What if Jane's secret was that she had been a victim of sexual child abuse? Would Shane have reacted the same way because she hadn't told him? *IS* her secret any less damaging to their current relationship? If Shane loves her, truly loves her, who she was at age 5 shouldn't matter to him. I am a bit surprised that Jane still considers her criminal family her family, though. I'm assuming that she hasn't had any contact with them, especially since they've threatened her due to her testimony, for over 20 years.

If WHO Jane's family is was so important to Shane, the fact that he hadn't met any of Jane's family prior to their wedding should have been a red flag long before this weekend. Jane would have been better off telling Shane that she no longer has contact with her birth family, that she has disowned them and them her when she went into foster-care, and would tell him the truth about them, when she was ready, instead of avoiding the subject altogether. Although, being that he's a journalist, that would have been enough of a hint for him to start looking into her past, which only proves that he has serious trust issues. The fact of the matter is that Jane DID tell Shane about her family and her horrid past before the wedding, even if it wasn't in the way either of them wished.

If they do decide to continue with their relationship, I believe they need some premarital counseling before they walk down the aisle in order to trust one another again.

I don't know what it means for Lois and Clark's relationship, though, that trust-issue Lois has discovered that Clark Kent, the man of her dreams, has some deep dark secret. But I can't wait to find out!

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.