What's happened between Shane and Jane? What has Shane learned that made him believe that Jane isn't who he thought she was? I'm a bit surprised that Lois didn't want to go straight to Jane and try to figure out what it was that Shane learned about Jane's past.

None of the good cares is open yet, so the obvious place was the park.
I think you meant "cafes" here.

Shane and Jane would be all right. A solution would be found. The wedding would probably go ahead, and this story would be told to their children as a tiny, even humorous, glitch in an otherwise perfect day.
Wow, Lois's perception on marriage has changed so drastically since she meant Clark.

He slowly stood. "I'm so sorry, Lois," he said. "I can't believe I let Belinda talk me into abandoning our date."
But Belinda didn't. He was hesitant until Lois told him he should go.

"That's better than worrying that I've blown my only chance with you."

His apprehension glimmered from behind his glasses, curling around her heart and melting more of its crusty edges. "You haven't blown anything," she said.

He lifted his hand, ran it through his hair and left it perched at the back of his neck. "Lois …" She'd meant her words to be reassuring, but it was clear they hadn't had the intended effect.
It took several readings to figure out HOW Clark could have taken her words poorly. Then, I realized he thought she was saying THIS wasn't anything to blow up. mecry No wonder Clark is freaking.

Clark shook his head. "I was trying to … I hoped … but the first thing comes along, and I …" He grimaced. "I really wanted you to know how important this is to me."
He doesn't want her to know that now?

"Is that why you told me to go to and speak with Shane?" Clark asked. "So our date can be over with?"

"No!" Lois shuddered through a long breath, calming her rampaging heart. "No. If I didn't want to be with you, I would just say so."

"You did."
I'm sorry, Clark. WHEN did she say this?

Lois had said she was afraid of being vulnerable, but she'd rarely felt as vulnerable as Clark looked now. It was as if he'd placed his heart in her hands and ceded all control of it to her. "I'm confused, and I'm scared," she said.

"Lois, I can't promise that I won't do something stupid," Clark said.
You mean like so totally misinterpret everything she's ever said? /checked that box/

"It will save time. We can go from Shane's to the place with sensational coffee. Or we can continue our picnic. There's plenty of food left."
Perhaps they can find a quiet corner of the hotel and finish their picnic there. I'm sure that coffee place won't be open by then. wink

She snuggled into the soft sweater as his arms enclosed her.

It felt like … He felt like …

Home.

He felt like home.

He felt like the place she had sought and never found in work or stories or busyness or success or bad relationships with unworthy men.

He felt like the answer to every lonely cry from her heart.

He felt like he was hers.

Now. In this moment.

And for a whole lifetime of moments in the future.
Awwwwww.

Interesting turnabout to having Clark be the one freaking out about their chances for a relationship and Lois being the calm, reasonable one.

Can't wait to find out what Shane learned about Jane! Post again soon.

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.