Lois & Clark Forums
Posted By: Karen FDK: 24 Hours pt 17 - *whimper* - 12/08/05 10:15 PM
Wendy, Wendy, Wendy. You give us a little hope, and then you *yank* it away, like pulling the rug out from under our feet and sending us tumbling onto our rears. I was so hoping, along with everyone else, that the vial held the answers. But the road you pave is never easy, is it? However, I did love Lois's thoughts about Clark. And the end of this part! Go, Lois! If you can't take control of one aspect of your life, grab hold of the rest with both hands and yank it where you want to go.

I'm about to fall off my seat, since you keep leaving us at the edge of it. When are you going to let us sit securely again?
Posted By: SuperGEM Re: FDK: 24 Hours pt 17 - *whimper* - 12/08/05 10:26 PM
whinging whinging whinging whinging whinging whinging whinging whinging

Since I can't really see the screen at the moment ... I'll have to come back later to post feedback ... but Wendy I just have to say, YOU ARE BREAKING MY HEART!!
Posted By: archbish99 Re: FDK: 24 Hours pt 17 - *whimper* - 12/08/05 10:30 PM
Yes, and then Clark blithely dismissing the flakes of "something metallic". Having this be mercury is their "only" hope, but Lois doesn't think mercury poisoning symptoms quite fit. Could there be another "something metallic" that produces similar symptoms?

And getting married as a way of dealing with her parents -- aie!

"Mom, Dad -- Clark and I got married tonight."
"WHAT??? Baby, you're not... Are you pregnant?"
"No, actually, I've been poisoned."
Posted By: ChiefPam Re: FDK: 24 Hours pt 17 - *whimper* - 12/08/05 10:31 PM
I've been wise-cracking my way through most of these sections (I think it's called distancing <g> ) but... just can't do that here.

That shaky, teary hug... still, I was holding it together until this part:

Now, of course, she was more of a peninsula of sorts; since Clark had been partnered up with her, they’d brought his desk closer. It wasn’t quite touching hers, but if she left a folder overlapping the edge of her desk the gap would be bridged.

Slowly, carefully, she nudged a manila folder backwards, away from her, until it was part-off her desk.
whinging

That's just... so mundane and so filled with meaning and so *sad*...

But now I mostly want to see the next section to get Clark's reaction <g>

PJ
Posted By: Incognito Re: FDK: 24 Hours pt 17 - *whimper* - 12/08/05 10:55 PM
This story makes me want to bawl like a baby. Completely heartbreaking, Lois talking about the end, telling Clark not to let her parents take over... Ouch, my heart is in serious pain here.

A little bit of happiness over the thought of the two of them getting married, but under the circumstances...

*whimper* really is the right word.
Posted By: vive60 Re: FDK: 24 Hours pt 17 - *whimper* - 12/08/05 10:56 PM
So sad thumbsup I can just imagine the look on Clark's face at that one laugh please post more soon
Posted By: Capes Re: FDK: 24 Hours pt 17 - *whimper* - 12/08/05 11:05 PM
SuperClark.
That just makes me laugh. Given the dire circumstances our heroine is facing, this response is hardly appropriate, but that hasn't stopped me yet.

Clark. Where was Clark? She needed Clark. He should be here...
Awwww.

the vial revealed no more than we already knew
I could say I was shocked, but that would be a lie.

If she had no choice but to die, that was how she wanted to go.
So sad yet so sweet.

So much for hubris.
Like this part.

Who would write her obituary?
Oh the angst!

Someone else would have to write the final story of her life.
*sob*

No chance to lose herself in his kisses.
As if it weren't getting bad enough...Oh wait, there's still more.

Clark should have that right. He knew her best, had been with her all today, knew what she wanted...
And if that doesn't say it all.

Clark... will you marry me?”
Wendy, you did it. You broke my heart. /me faints dead away...
If this were the next-to-last post, I'd expect the blood test in Vegas to show something the doctors in Metropolis had missed, and she gets an antidote (probably something mundane, like a chocolate sundae) just in time.

But that would be too easy, too quick, too not-heart-rending, so there's no way that's going to happen.

Wow! I'm glad I'm not Clark right now.

And since I know some in-laws who are a bit like the Lanes, I sympathize with Lois's desire to leave them a note saying, "Sorry, I'm dead. Be nice to Clark. He's your new son-in-law." What a hand grenade that would be!
Posted By: Squirky Re: FDK: 24 Hours pt 17 - *whimper* - 12/08/05 11:22 PM
Wendy, I have been waiting impatiently for this installment, and I have to say that I'm impressed. A great piece of writing! I fell apart when Clark started to cry. mecry I think they hugged to affirm life and comfort them both. It was an attempt to hold on to each other for dear life.

I can't wait to read the next piece!! Please, pretty please with a cherry on top, post soon!!

(One note, though: your "lab testers" are histologists. smile )
Posted By: Kent28 Re: FDK: 24 Hours pt 17 - *whimper* - 12/08/05 11:45 PM
Wendy, you are killing me here! I don't post often, but I have to say this is one of THE most gut-wrenching stories I have ever read. You weren't kidding when you say your fans eat angst for breakfast! smile I have to go get a new box of kleenexes now.
whinging whinging whinging whinging
Marcy
Posted By: lovetvfan Re: FDK: 24 Hours pt 17 - *whimper* - 12/09/05 01:00 AM
SOOOOOOO SAD! How can you do this to them???

The suspense is killing me here and when Clark broke down??? WOW

And Lois proposing???? My God! MORE!
Posted By: LolaDane Re: FDK: 24 Hours pt 17 - *whimper* - 12/09/05 01:06 AM
Oh Wendy...this has to be one of the sadest parts yet. i just love that Lois and Clark are coming together an inch at a time each part you post. And now you have Lois asking clark to marry her...Ah! I may need another box of tissues. Please more and soon!!!!
Posted By: Ank. K. S. Re: FDK: 24 Hours pt 17 - *whimper* - 12/09/05 01:19 AM
Wow! Well another dead end, but then I can't complain what with Lois proposing and all goofy

And loved Lois' contemplation especially her wanting to reaffirm her connection with Clark with the manila folder. thumbsup notworthy
Posted By: TOC Re: FDK: 24 Hours pt 17 - *whimper* - 12/09/05 01:27 AM
What can I say but yes, yes, yes, I agree with everybody? Except possibly with anyone who doesn't want Lois and Clark to get married under the circumstances. Of course they should get married, and although it's an absolutely heartbreaking scene it's still one of the loveliest proposals I have come across in LC fanfiction. Lois means it. She is *not* just trying to get away from her parents. And if you cure her, Wendy - *when* you cure her, I mean - Lois won't regret being married for a second. Well, assuming Clark is willing to do his part to see to it that they get married, and assuming Lois is still sufficiently alert to know what to say when the minister asks her the question... frown

Ann
Posted By: Incognito Re: FDK: 24 Hours pt 17 - *whimper* - 12/09/05 01:44 AM
Just wanted to clarify that if someone doesn't want L&C to get married under the circumstances, that person isn't me. I, for one, am happy that Lois proposed and am sure that she truly wants to marry Clark. I just meant that the happiness over it isn't encompassing me at the moment, because I'm still too heartbroken about her illness and the situation they're in.

If you didn't already know, Wendy, I can't wait for the next chapter. This is really masterful writing.
Posted By: Shadow Re: FDK: 24 Hours pt 17 - *whimper* - 12/09/05 01:54 AM
That's it. I've just fallen apart. That's all I've got. I'm broken. I can't even sign my name.
Posted By: groobie Re: FDK: 24 Hours pt 17 - *whimper* - 12/09/05 02:32 AM
“Can you fly me to Vegas?”
Wow...I never saw that coming! I'm intrigued by the possibilities of his answer. Under normal circumstances, he'd say no. But feeling like they're running out of time, willing to do anything to provide her with some comfort...hmmm. Of course, a quicker way to solve her stated problem would be to have Clark quickly write up a living will and get Lois to a notary.

A serious note to any readers out there: I know nobody likes to think about it, but it's important to have a will (or living trust) and a living will. What would happen if you were fatally injured by a drunk driver on New Year's eve? Have you provided a potential guardian for your children? Would your doctors know your wishes for medical care? There's software available to help you fill out the paperwork - a few hours of your time today could be very valuable in the event of a tragic accident tomorrow.
Susan
Posted By: Laurach Re: FDK: 24 Hours pt 17 - *whimper* - 12/09/05 11:23 AM
Wow talk about a roller coaster of emotion. They have five hours to fit in a life time of love! Maybe they'll get hit by lightning on the way and Lois will get Superpowers and the poison will be gone. OY! More soon. Laura
Posted By: daneel Re: FDK: 24 Hours pt 17 - *whimper* - 12/09/05 12:04 PM
goofy

Jose hyper
Posted By: Ultra Woman Re: FDK: 24 Hours pt 17 - *whimper* - 12/09/05 02:45 PM
Owww... I need to give vent to my sorrow. whinging whinging whinging

“Okay.” A muscle ticked in his jaw as he spoke. That, and the fact that he didn’t argue that there were other things they could try, other avenues to pursue, told her louder than words that he knew it was hopeless, too. They’d done all they could, and it was time to accept the inevitable.
I'm broken to pieces. whinging

There're 5 hours left to Lois and 4 parts to the story. I bet you're gonna let her (and us) on the rack until last part, aren't you? As ever, you gave us a silver lining in the end, but I'm sure you are scheming other heartbreaking twist. [Linked Image] I can feel it. [Linked Image] You're sadist and I'm masochist, because I keep reading and wrecking my heart. [Linked Image]

He took her to the stairwell, scooping her into his arms once the door closed behind them and they were alone. Silently, she bade farewell to the newsroom. Maybe she should have said goodbye to Perry, too. And Jimmy. They were both still around, and they’d seen Clark lead her away. They probably both knew they wouldn’t see her again.
I can't write any longer. My nerves are shattered. /me runs out to cry... [Linked Image]

Andreia [Linked Image]
Posted By: Nicole S Re: FDK: 24 Hours pt 17 - *whimper* - 12/09/05 03:34 PM
Oh, now I get it... The rest of the story will be in Vegas! They'll celebrate being alive, she'll die, the story will end. Okay, okay, I'm with you now. See, I thought we were going to continue to look for a cure for her and save her. But no, this... this is good, too! She's had a good life. Why not?! WENDY!! mad They do not have time for this!!! The woman is running on borrowed time! Not that I don't love the idea of them getting married and confessions of an eternal, undying love; not that I don't like this plot twist, (which I could not have seen coming), but... THEY... DO... NOT... HAVE... TIME... FOR... THIS!!!! I'm not sure if it comes across in my posts, but I am very involved here! Very! And to answer your question, I am not having nightmares anymore, no... but I do think I could be sleeping more peacefully if Lois got an antidote. Thanks for the follow up!! smile

How could I have missed that you'd be doing something like this!!?! I mean, the track record should have prepared me! You threw me under the bus with the gunshot last time, I should have figured a marriage proposal was next. So it's not you, Wendy. It's me. And aside from the fact that I'm still recovering from some kind of angst-whiplash, I loved this part!

there wasn’t anything else for her to do right now. Except wait - wait for Clark, wait for Dr Sutton.

Wait for someone to save her from dying.
Or just wait to die. Waiting... a crucial element of this story. This line stood out to me for that reason. This is absolutely heartwrenching! Lois Lane, waiting around for others to take care of her and fix this situation... it's such a fantastic moment. So sad, of course!! goofy )

She had so little time left, and she wanted to spend it with him. Even if all she could do was curl up in his arms and let him hold her.

Lie in his arms until she slipped away. That sounded so tempting... If she had no choice but to die, that was how she wanted to go.
She loves him so much. This is so sweet!

Ewdin Grifin, scientst and fahter of gunrunner Kyle Griffin, was last night named as the killr of Lois Lane, award-winning invstigatve journaliat at the Dailp Plwnet.
You're killing me, Wendy!

This is a nightmare! But you go through everything, and in such a way that it becomes so horrifyingly real to me!

“Take me away from here, Clark.”
#2 favorite line in the whole section (another tear-jerker, coincidentally... as much as I complain you're killing me, clearly I like it... what is wrong with me??)

she’d just been assuming that Clark would be able to do whatever she wanted on her behalf. That was just plain wrong. Clark should have that right.
And, me thinks he soon will!

Wendy, I can't even really be mad at you! This section was beautiful torture and I am sure with a possible wedding, the next one will be too! But honestly, WHERE is her cure? Should someone fly down to KYLE Griffin and give him like a truth serum or something, find out what he knows? I love weddings. And I cry at weddings. But this is just ridiculous! I really would like to have happy tears at some point in the near future. That's all. Thank you! smile

MORE MORE MORE SOON PLEASE! (I am growing frantically less patient, yes!)

~NICOLE

I do have to add just one thing, in case it wasn't clear... I LOVE that she proposed! She clearly loves him so much and he clearrrly loves her soo much, too! I'm just frantic for a cure!!! A 5 hr. marriage makes it look like Renee Zellweger and Kenny Chesney were lifers!

SOS, Wendy. PLEASE!!!! (STS, too!)
Posted By: SuperRoo Re: FDK: 24 Hours pt 17 - *whimper* - 12/09/05 05:58 PM
GET BACK HERE GIRL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I NEED MY FIX!!!

Just one or two flakes of something metallic. On the floor, more of the flakes. No doubt shavings from one of the models lying around the place.
You too Clark, get back here and look at this. DUH!!!! It could be something!!!!!!!!!!!

Hehehe *she loves him she loves him* YES!!!

Awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted By: mariadferdez. Re: FDK: 24 Hours pt 17 - *whimper* - 12/09/05 06:08 PM
Hi,

Great part. hyper

More ASAP, please.

MAF hyper
Posted By: mmprincess Re: FDK: 24 Hours pt 17 - *whimper* - 12/09/05 09:18 PM
My heart goes out to both of them on this very painful and seemingly hopeless time. frown frown hyper
Posted By: Sheila Re: FDK: 24 Hours pt 17 - *whimper* - 12/09/05 09:45 PM
OMG! whinging I didn't see that proposal coming! I went from sad tears to happy ones, then realizing that so much more could happen...to sheer panic!

Please pull me back from the end of my seat...SOON! wallbash
Posted By: lovesuper97 Re: FDK: 24 Hours pt 17 - *whimper* - 12/10/05 12:21 AM
OMG! HOLY S***T! WAY TO GO WENDY!
keep the story coming.That was so beauitful. clap
Posted By: TOC Re: FDK: 24 Hours pt 17 - *whimper* - 12/10/05 02:36 AM
Just a thought here. Seeing that Dr. Sutton is incompetent and has no time for Lois - well, he is, and he doesn't - why doesn't Clark take Lois to Starlabs and Dr. Klein? Am I missing something here? Are we in the alt-universe or something, so that Starlab doesn't exist?

And just so you know, Wendy, you almost killed me with that previous chapter, which ended with a gunshot. I thought for sure that now Lois had been shot as well, and not just poisoned! And just a few days ago, Pam ended a chapter of hers in almost the same way, making me think that Lois would be shot. That's the second time in a week that I've almost been killed by you guys. Reading too much Lois and Clark fanfiction can be hazardous to your health!!! help eek

Good thing that all you FOLCs out there are reminding me with your comments why Wendy's story is so, so darn good that we have to have more of it or we will die anyway, this time of withdrawal symptoms! (And we can sure use more of Pam's story, too!) Thanks in particular to you, Nicole, you said it all. But I side with Terry Leatherwood, too. Maybe that chocolate sundae is just the antidote that Lois needs! goofy

Ann
Posted By: traceylynn Re: FDK: 24 Hours pt 17 - *whimper* - 12/10/05 04:01 PM
Wendy! I'm holding it together, but just barely. Alernately loving and hating this story - hating what Lois and Clark are going through, hating the situation, hating the posts that seem to end too soon <g>... but completely loving your writing, the emotion, and that it takes but a split second to draw me back into the story as soon as I begin reading a new post.

Hurry with the next one, please! I'm looking forward to seeing what Clark says back to Lois.

Tracey smile
Posted By: Wendymr Re: FDK: 24 Hours pt 17 - *whimper* - 12/10/05 08:21 PM
You know, I had a feeling that the end of this section might get some sort of a reaction... smile1 Yes, there are other ways around it - Lois could arrange power of attorney for Clark or, as Susan says, she could write a living will. But those, I guess, just aren't options she would immediately think of. The living will is something she could do herself - Clark would write it for her, true - but would there be questions about whether it was really Lois's wishes? And if she wasn't compos mentis - which would be when it'd need to kick in - she couldn't verify that she drafted it. The power of attorney thing... she'd need to get a lawyer for that, and at 10pm that's not easy.

So she thinks of Las Vegas and a quickie marriage. wink

Aside from your reactions to her proposal, what really made my week with the comments on this section was those of you who commented on the manila folder linking Lois's desk with Clark's. I don't even know where that idea came from. It just appeared out of nowhere when I was writing, and I wasn't sure that anyone else would see it as touching, the way I did. Yvonne, when BRing, loved it. And, Pam, your reaction both here and on IRC made me want to hug you. goofy

Seriously, I love your posts. You make me laugh, you make me blush and you leave me humbled and grateful. Thank you so much.

And, also, thank you to everyone else who's posted comments. all your feedback means so much to me. I don't think I have ever got so much feedback on a story before - certainly not consistently, on every section. And I'm in awe and very, very grateful. You're amazing and I love you all. sloppy

Part 18 coming up in a few minutes.

Wendy smile
Posted By: SuperRoo Re: FDK: 24 Hours pt 17 - *whimper* - 12/10/05 08:33 PM
I loved the whole manila folder concept. I meant to comment on it, but what usually happens to me is I get so absorbed into the reading that by the time I have to write comments I forget what I just read. I just remember how I feel.

Now that it is at the forefront of my mind:
That part made me get teary and thought it was so sweet and a wonderful touch. It is the little things like that, that people do that are awesome to me.

EDIT --
Part 18 coming up in a few minutes.
ohmyohmyohmyohmyohmy!!!!
party )
© Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards