Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
L
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
L
Yes, the idea for this story was hatched during several extremely boring meetings I was forced to attend. No, they weren't safety meetings; they were far more bureaucratic and far more useless than a safety seminar would be. Contemplating this story was my RL equivalent to Lois and Clark's poke-paper polka.

I had gotten the idea for this story several months ago, but hadn't had time to write it up, but I couldn't let this month's comedy challenge go by without contributing a story.

As always, all comments welcomed.

Joy,
Lynn

Kerth
Kerth
Liked this, but you're wrong to say health and safety courses would be more exciting. I'm a lab technician and possibly the most boring courses I've ever been on have been health and safety related. You haven't lived until you've heard an instructor who probably handles chemicals once a year teaching a class of laboratory technicians (who probably do it every day) the correct way to dispose of a chemical spill...

Marcus L. Rowland
Forgotten Futures, The Scientific Romance Role Playing Game
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Perhaps they would have more luck of having the material stick if they made Lois and Clark TEACH the course instead of just attend it. laugh

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
That was great! Especially the ending line! And it's all Lois' fault, too!

My favorite?

"You're her partner. The head honchos wanted you to have a refresher course so that you could remind Lois not to do anything dangerous."
Right. That'll work. He might as well tell Lois not to jump in before checking the water level. It would have exactly the same effect: none whatsoever.

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing
L
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
L
Marcus, I find it hard to imagine anything more boring than some of the meetings I have attended on quality assurance (which is more like quality prevention the way my school does things), but if your health and safety courses really are more boring -- or even just half as boring, for that matter -- then you have my sympathy.

Virginia, a good thought, but probably futile. Lois would just tackle it as if it were an undercover assignment -- she'd play the role she needed to get the job done, but it wouldn't really be her, if you know what I mean.

Terry, I agree completely. This is just another example of upper management not knowing anything about the people under them or what they actually do. And I'm sure that if by some miracle Lois actually did start to play it safe (I know, I know -- It would never happen. Just humour me.), the paper's bottom line would plummet, since she wouldn't get the scoops necessary to sell the papers. To take a RL example of this, we are being required at work to spend so much time jumping through quality assurance hoops that we don't have the time we used to have to do the job right, and quality is suffering. And to add insult to injury, the QA exercises we are doing aren't even effective. razz

Yep. Writing this story was a bit cathartic for me.

Thank you all for taking the time to leave feedback.

Joy,
Lynn

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Lynn:

Working for a pharmecutical company I couldn't agree more! The head honchos upstairs do not have a clue about importance of our work, yet they send countless hours (and dollars) trying to tell us how to do our jobs.

RL work can sometimes be very ______ fill in the blank! wink

Morgana

A writer's job is to think of new plots and create characters who stay with you long after the final page has been read. If that mission is accomplished than we have done what we set out to do, which is to entertain and hopefully educate.
U
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
U
This fic really does capture the boredom and bureaucracy of health and safety seminars *extremely* well! As someone who has her annual Health and Safety seminar coming up, this was also extremely cathartic to be able to read!

Believe it or not, I actually do have a friend who attended a rather exciting one of these seminars. The speaker was talking about how to safely handle chemicals and was demonstrating with (don't ask me why) a capsaicin solution. Apparently he left the solution on the bunsen burner just a *little* too long. It boiled over, and filled the room with -- you've got it -- pepper spray!

-- Ultra Lucille

Ultra Lucille
L
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
L
Morgana, I'm too polite to say aloud the words that immediately pop into my mind to complete your sentence, so instead I'll just fill it in with "frustrating, fruitless, and futile."

Ultra Lucille, good luck with your upcoming seminar. I hope it proves to be more interesting than most, but without any capsaicin catastrophes.

Thank you both for leaving feedback.

Joy,
Lynn

Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
"Something far more routine. Next week, you and Kent will be going to a safety seminar at the Lexor."
What she do? Got thrown out of a window again?

Lois' eyes narrowed. "But I already went to my annual cure-for-insomnia seminar this year. I'm not due for another one for at least another six months."
wave Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
Top Banana
Top Banana
There is so much good stuff in here:
They say that you are single-handedly causing the paper's workers' compensation premiums to skyrocket.
notworthy

Masterfully done.

Bob

L
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
L
Yay! Darth Michael feedback! smile1 100% guaranteed to bring a smile. smile

"You're her partner. The head honchos wanted you to have a refresher course so that you could remind Lois not to do anything dangerous."
But he already does that all the time. She’s kinda deaf though.
So true. Even to Superman.

"And in the event of a fire, do not use the elevators. Use the stairs.
Actually, you go to a window, open it, and yell ‘Help, Superman!’
clap </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Thank you. I must admit to having been pleased with that turn of phrase.

Lois and Clark looked at each other and groaned.
Maybe they could also attend a seminar on sexual harassment while they’re there?
What? You mean it's NOT appropriate to perform the Dance of the Seven Veils for one's colleague? Or to wear one's underpants over the rest of one's clothing for all to see?

clap Lynn, you so have a way with comedy shorts!
Coming from the master of the rejoinders and one-liners, that is quite a compliment. Thank you. blush

Joy,
Lynn

L
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
L
Hi Bob wave ,

Thanks so much for the feedback.

There is so much good stuff in here:
I'm glad you liked it. When I write comedy, I know what tickles my own funny bone, but until I receive feedback, I have no idea of whether what struck me as humorous will fall flat when translated onto "paper."

He should get credit for all the times he saves her.
And he actually has even saved her as Clark once or twice.

Absolutely awesome punchline!!! notworthy

Masterfully done.
blush blush blush Thank you. smile

Joy,
Lynn

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Hi Lynn!
Yay! Darth Michael feedback! [Smiley] 100% guaranteed to bring a smile. [Smile]
blush

What? You mean it's NOT appropriate to perform the Dance of the Seven Veils for one's colleague? Or to wear one's underpants over the rest of one's clothing for all to see?
[Linked Image]

Coming from the master of the rejoinders and one-liners, that is quite a compliment. Thank you. [Embarrassed]
Awwww, thanks blush But it’s kind of easy when working with good source material wave Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
Features Writer
Features Writer
This is hilarious! I think my favorite part is that even though Clark has taken this course before, he's actually trying to be responsible and listen to the whole thing, and Lois just wants someone to listen to her complaints! So in-character but also funny! Favorite line is probably when Clark decides that he can avoid an extra poke even without super reflexes, surely! smile

L
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
L
Hi Anti-K,

Glad you enjoyed it. smile Just thinking about writing it helped me get through some pretty miserable meetings in RL.

Joy,
Lynn

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Catching up on some reading - yay!

They say that you are single-handedly causing the paper's workers' compensation premiums to skyrocket.
I believe it too.

Ha! Good luck with that! She doesn't even listen to Superman!

Silly him! Of course, that only prompted her to repeat her complaint at a higher volume.
Um...yep. Have you learned nothing yet, Clark?

turned around and felt a piece of paper being thrust into his hand.
How cute! It's like they are in school!

He decided that even if he weren't super, he could have fast enough reflexes to avoid the double-poke.
Oh look! He *does* learn!

"The big wheels upstairs had told yesterday's speaker to keep an eye out for you. It seems he reported that you were passing notes and weren't paying attention. You're going to have to go to next month's safety seminar offering."
rotflol

How fun! Thanks for the laughs!

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

"Being with you is stronger than me alone." ~ Clark Kent

"One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation." ~ Figment the Dragon

L
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
L
Hi Deadly,

I love getting feedback a while after I have posted a story; it's always a wonderful surprise.

I also like seeing running reactions to the story. (By that, I mean running commentaries, not the reaction of running away from the story. wink ) Thanks so much for giving me such running feedback.

Joy,
Lynn

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard