Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#94287 04/10/13 06:05 PM
J
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
J
Originally posted by Shallowford:
Doh!! Things'll never be the same in the Kent/El/Lane household.

The MWK was already comedy--I'm glad to see it finally used for good rather than evil.
I have to say the memory wipe kiss is the msot distubing power Superman ever had. It has huge potential as a date rape drug.

I am glad that here he only intentionally uses it to try to counter-act what he did before.

On another note, I am confused as to how Lois rememberes losing her memories, but does not remember that Clark has a secret. I guess the easiest way to explain it is that probably if she thought about it, she would realize that they worked to keep the secret, she probably remembers the incidents with Samantha's photos, but the impression of who Clark really is is so deeply implanted in her psyche that she subconciously thinks everyone knows.

John Pack Lambert
#94288 04/10/13 06:11 PM
J
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
J
Originally posted by mrsMxyzptlk:
It would probably take me a while to dig and find some issues where Superman uses super-hypnotism. I'll see what I can find.
Along with using it to mess with people, he would use super-hypnotism as part of his disguise. I've got a comic from the late 50's or early 60's where it showed that every morning before Clark left for work, he would do his hypnotism thing in the mirror on himself so that all day he would subtly hypnotize everyone he met into not noticing that he looked exactly like Superman. I'm pretty sure he used it a few times to mess with Lois's memories.

However, even given this obscure precedent for Superman having mental powers and being able to mess with people's minds, I agree that the whole Superman II mind-wipe kiss is pretty messed up. Even creepier, though, is Superman IV: A Quest for Peace. In that one, Clark walks off of Lois's balcony, completely freaking her out and blowing his secret identity. Then, after he takes her flying, he mind-wipes her AGAIN. The casual way he does it seems to imply that it's not an isolated incident. Exactly how much time has Lois lost due to Clark messing with her like that? How many times has he taken her away for some romantic weekend or whatever and then made her forget it? The implications are horrible.

I like the way you made the mind-wipe part of Clark's telepathy. It hadn't occurred to me before I read this story that his telepathy might be used that way.
Superman 4 was a horribly done movie, but I have to agree Clark reusing the mind-wipe kiss was beyond bad. At least in Lois and Clark when Lois lost her memory that Clark was Superman, it was not Clark erasing that memory.

John Pack Lambert
#94289 04/14/13 12:04 AM
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
I just wanted to let you know that we're about to enter Earth orbit. I'll be home in a few minutes. We'll talk for real then.
Ooooh! Teeping!

He was finding it a constant challenge to not engage her in continuous conversation.
Yeah, that could be distracting. Although, I wonder who would be the more playful one during a press conference about the mayor’s daughter’s best friend’s poodle learning a new trick or a staff meeting.

In any case, the ability to reach out to her at any time was going to come in so handy next time she was in trouble.
[Linked Image]

Shortly thereafter he realized he was hearing Lois's thoughts.
Oh my. That *is* long distance. Hope he’s got a good service provider, otherwise the charges will be a killer.

Clark had been giddy over being able to contact Lois, but both Zara and Ching seemed to think it was a bad idea to exercise his telepathy with a non-Kryptonian.
Spoil sports.

“Oh, I completely forgot,” Lois said. “I was working on some research when you arrived. I need to pick up those files.”
Oh my.

“Superman, how could you?” she asked, clearly distraught. “You know I'm married to Clark. How could you come into my house like this? I...”
Uh-oh.

Then it hit him. He'd been told that physical contact would greatly enhance his Kryptonian telepathy but he'd completely forgotten that warning
[Linked Image]

It's okay to kiss Superman, you're married to him. Finally the kiss ended and Lois sighed against him. Good, he thought. That's better.

Then he felt Lois go stiff. “Clark! What are you doing?” she yelled.
[Linked Image]

“What can we do?” Lois asked. “I don't want to risk having my memory altered every time we have a passionate kiss.”
[Linked Image] Can you imagine what happens when they go to the bedroom and Clark thinks his wife is as good in bed she could make money with it?

“Sure,” she said. “There's this place in Miami that I read about. They are supposed to have some of the best sandwiches in the country.”
Oops? Not so loud, Lois.

Perry offered a printout to Lois. “Read the section I circled.”
laugh

Not only does he support this charity as Superman, he volunteers regularly in his everyday identity of Clark Kent.”
[Linked Image]

“Everyone knows that Superman is just Clark dressed up so he can help people.”
[Linked Image] Someone was a bit too unspecific in his indoctrination, huh?

wave Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
#94290 04/14/13 08:36 AM
bobbart Offline OP
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
mrsMxyzptlk:
It would probably take me a while to dig and find some issues where Superman uses super-hypnotism. I'll see what I can find.
Along with using it to mess with people, he would use super-hypnotism as part of his disguise. I've got a comic from the late 50's or early 60's where it showed that every morning before Clark left for work, he would do his hypnotism thing in the mirror on himself so that all day he would subtly hypnotize everyone he met into not noticing that he looked exactly like Superman. I'm pretty sure he used it a few times to mess with Lois's memories.
I found some examples. It is a good hook to use to explain why no one recognizes Clark <=> Superman. I just don't remember it.
Even creepier, though, is Superman IV: A Quest for Peace. In that one, Clark walks off of Lois's balcony, completely freaking her out and blowing his secret identity. Then, after he takes her flying, he mind-wipes her AGAIN. The casual way he does it seems to imply that it's not an isolated incident.
Superman IV is really one continuous train wreck. I guess that the most amazing thing is how bad it could have been. Have you ever watched the deleted scenes from that movie? As bad as the movie was, it would have been even worse if they had left in some of the really bad stuff that they filmed. razz

Queen:
Bob, never think you can't write comedy. [Rotflol]

Oh, poor Clark! [Laugh]
Thank you. Telepathy should come with a warning label. smile

John:
This was funny. [Smiley] that Clark quickly fixed the problem, at least most of it.
Well, it looks mostly fixed. Now they get to try to figure out what Lois thinks she knows vs. what she used to know. dizzy
She does not realize they even have to keep the secret, so mentioning Miami in the newsroom is no big deal.
Exactly! Fortunately she didn't invite any of the rest of the newsroom to come to Miami with them for lunch. smile
I think that line should open with "they".
Fixed now. Thank you.
I don't really blame him. I am more shocked he went at all.
I didn't see this trip as a particularly big deal. This time it was strictly a month-long business trip. There was no talk of marrying someone else and no threat of not coming back.
Superman 4 was a horribly done movie, but I have to agree Clark reusing the mind-wipe kiss was beyond bad.
I may have to re-watch Superman IV just to remind myself how bad it really is.

Michael:
Oh my. That *is* long distance. Hope he’s got a good service provider, otherwise the charges will be a killer.
evil devil
[Clap] You do comedy well, Bob.
Thank you, Michael.

Bob

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard