Lois & Clark Forums
Posted By: bobbart FDK: Memory (1/1) - 04/06/13 02:53 PM
Comedy is SO hard!!! Give me WAFFy anytime. smile

And obviously this is based on the "magic kiss" that ends the movie Superman II. (But not the Donner-cut version.)

Feedback here please.

Note: Renamed from Memories. No change in the story, I just changed the title. I hope no one gets confused.

Bob
Posted By: Morgana Re: FDK: Memory (1/1) - 04/06/13 03:06 PM
Yikes! dance

LOLOLOL! Loved it! Poor Lois, those super kisses really did a number on her. Maybe Clark should have listened to Zara and Ching.

Nice job!
Posted By: Lara Joelle Kent Re: FDK: Memory (1/1) - 04/06/13 03:22 PM
Oh my gosh, what a riot! "Everybody knows that!" rotflol
Posted By: Lynn S. M. Re: FDK: Memory (1/1) - 04/06/13 03:58 PM
rotflol That was *hysterical*! And it was the first memory-wipe kiss I ever came across that I actually liked. (I wouldn't be surprised if it were the last one, too.)

One slight correction you might want to make:
Not only does he support this charity as Superman, he volunteers regularly in his everyday identify of Clark Kent.
I think you meant "identity."

I already know I'm going to have a tough time deciding what story to vote for in the Kerth comedy category next year -- this is definitely a strong contender.

Joy,
Lynn
Posted By: Classicalla Re: FDK: Memory (1/1) - 04/06/13 04:29 PM
She turned to Clark and held the printout in front of her. “Without Superman's intervention, the fire would have gutted the Seventh Street Orphanage. The fact this intervention was Superman's first activity after his return to Metropolis is particularly ironic. This organization has been a favorite of our local hero since shortly after he arrived in Metropolis. Not only does he support this charity as Superman, he volunteers regularly in his everyday identify of Clark Kent.”
ROFLOL!!! Poor Clark. I can see a sequel.
Posted By: Annalina19 Re: FDK: Memory (1/1) - 04/06/13 04:38 PM
Nice job, a really funny fic. The erase kiss is a great idea, it is one of the best revelation story! Who would have thought that telepathy could be so dangerous! ; )
Posted By: Christina Re: FDK: Memory (1/1) - 04/06/13 07:51 PM
Love it, love it, love it!

I love how you found an in canon reason for the kiss to work in this universe (of course he wouldn't WANT it to work though.)

And that last line...priceless.

clap clap clap
Posted By: IolantheAlias Re: FDK: Memory (1/1) - 04/06/13 08:12 PM
/bursts out in guffaws/

Great ending line!

Now, I'm a person that thinks that Perry already knows The Secret, so it's OK that he proof-read this article. Bob, the way you wrote this makes me think that you think that Perry already knows The Secret too.
Posted By: VirginiaR Re: FDK: Memory (1/1) - 04/06/13 10:11 PM
clap I like that Clark keeps having to change identities because he messes up with his thoughts during the memory wipe kisses. "Everyone knows" [Linked Image]

When you mentioned that his family had the strongest telepathic abilities on Krypton, I thought he was going to accidentally share his thoughts to Lois with the whole world (or just Metropolis).

This is great! Big surprise ending. Love it!
Posted By: bobbart Re: FDK: Memory (1/1) - 04/07/13 12:17 AM
First of all, thank you all so much for the very kind words. I really was worried about how well this would work. Beverly was my only beta on this and she has a tendency to be less-than-critical when she reviews my stories. I'm very happy that so many are enjoying the story.

Morgana:
Maybe Clark should have listened to Zara and Ching.
But everything was going so well... The reality is that I don't think any of us would be willing to listen to this type of caution unless we had some very hard evidence that there was a danger. Well, Clark did get the evidence, he just got it a little late.

Lara:
Oh my gosh, what a riot! "Everybody knows that!"
I'm very happy that it worked for you. Naturally I thought it was funny, but you never know until you read the FDK. smile

Lynn:
And it was the first memory-wipe kiss I ever came across that I actually liked. (I wouldn't be surprised if it were the last one, too.)
thud High praise indeed. I... Thank you.
I think you meant "identity."
I did and it is fixed now. Thank you.

Classicalla:
ROFLOL!!! Poor Clark. I can see a sequel.
Thanks, but even though I have a few thoughts, I'm not sure they would do justice to the idea. Of course, one never knows.

Annalina19:
The erase kiss is a great idea, it is one of the best revelation story!
Thank you.
Who would have thought that telepathy could be so dangerous!
Clearly not Clark. smile

Christina:
I love how you found an in canon reason for the kiss to work in this universe
Actually, the first place I saw the connection between the Superman II “magic kiss” and the LnC Kryptonian telepathy was in Dandello's “Plane Storm”. I would like to think I might have made the connection had I never read “Plane Storm”, but I did see in in Dandello's work first.
And that last line...priceless.
smile

IolantheAlias:
Now, I'm a person that thinks that Perry already knows The Secret, so it's OK that he proof-read this article. Bob, the way you wrote this makes me think that you think that Perry already knows The Secret too.
Well, in a word... Yes. Or at the very least, he was all but sure. Remember that this is set in Season 5+. He's seen the interaction between Lois, Clark and Superman for a long time. He's their friend, but as has been pointed out in many a story, he knows how to observe.

VirginiaR:
Who says you can't write comedy? Very well done!
Well, thank you. But I still find it very challenging. I am in awe of people like Mary (Queenie) that can turn out funny story after funny story.
When you mentioned that his family had the strongest telepathic abilities on Krypton, I thought he was going to accidentally share his thoughts to Lois with the whole world (or just Metropolis).
That has me thinking that there are a lot of potential stories that can pick up as soon as he returns to Earth. There are an almost endless set of possibilities. And, to be honest, many of them are very NOT funny.
This is great! Big surprise ending. Love it!
Again, thank you so much!

Bob
Posted By: Shallowford Re: FDK: Memory (1/1) - 04/07/13 05:45 AM
Doh!! Things'll never be the same in the Kent/El/Lane household.

The MWK was already comedy--I'm glad to see it finally used for good rather than evil.
Posted By: HappyGirl Re: FDK: Memory (1/1) - 04/07/13 08:22 PM
I love it, Bob! And as your normally critical beta, wink I will say that I'd only give one minor comment and one typo. Sorry I missed your emails. I was sick Friday and recovering Saturday. Seriously, this is a great story, and the punch line works well. It's a great dig at the magic kiss, too.
Posted By: bobbart Re: FDK: Memory (1/1) - 04/07/13 10:14 PM
Hi, Shallowford
The MWK was already comedy--I'm glad to see it finally used for good rather than evil.
Yeah. I still remember the first time I saw that in the movie. It was a confused dizzy wallbash moment.

I mean really, I'd been reading and watching Superman all my life and never heard of anything like that. It was bad movie-making of the worst kind.

Fortunately, Kryptonians being telepathic sets the stage for making it reasonable. But you still have to set the stage!!!

HappyGirl:
I was sick Friday and recovering Saturday.
I hope you are feeling better.
Seriously, this is a great story, and the punch line works well. It's a great dig at the magic kiss, too.
Thanks. As you can see above, the magic kiss is NOT my favorite part of the Superman multiverse.

Note to all: I hope that my changing the name of the story doesn't confuse people too much. After some consideration, I decided I like Memory better given the nature of this story.

Bob
Posted By: Mouserocks Re: FDK: Memory (1/1) - 04/08/13 11:41 AM
rotflol Well done! I think you did just fine all on your own! I loved it!
Posted By: mrsMxyzptlk Re: FDK: Memory (1/1) - 04/08/13 12:22 PM
I mean really, I'd been reading and watching Superman all my life and never heard of anything like that. It was bad movie-making of the worst kind.

Fortunately, Kryptonians being telepathic sets the stage for making it reasonable. But you still have to set the stage!!!
What about super-hypnotism? Superman used that all the time in the 60's. Maybe he super-hypnotized her into forgetting.
Posted By: bobbart Re: FDK: Memory (1/1) - 04/08/13 04:40 PM
Mouserocks:
I think you did just fine all on your own! I loved it!
Thank you, I'm glad you enjoyed it. smile

mrsMxyzptlk:
What about super-hypnotism? Superman used that all the time in the 60's.
Really??!! I don't remember that at all. I remember lots of super-ventriloquism for when he had to talk to people at a distance, but I don't remember that.

However, in the context of Superman II, I still don't like it. All they would have had to do was toss in a Fortress of Solitude scene where he was told about mental powers. Then when the MWK happened, we - the viewers - would have had some chance at understanding what happened. The reason I called it bad movie-making, was not the idea, it was the complete lack of context.

Anyway, I need to do some research on super-hypnosis. Maybe I can use it some time in the future. (With context of course. smile )

Thanks for the note.

Bob
Posted By: mrsMxyzptlk Re: FDK: Memory (1/1) - 04/08/13 06:28 PM
It would probably take me a while to dig and find some issues where Superman uses super-hypnotism. I'll see what I can find.
Along with using it to mess with people, he would use super-hypnotism as part of his disguise. I've got a comic from the late 50's or early 60's where it showed that every morning before Clark left for work, he would do his hypnotism thing in the mirror on himself so that all day he would subtly hypnotize everyone he met into not noticing that he looked exactly like Superman. I'm pretty sure he used it a few times to mess with Lois's memories.

However, even given this obscure precedent for Superman having mental powers and being able to mess with people's minds, I agree that the whole Superman II mind-wipe kiss is pretty messed up. Even creepier, though, is Superman IV: A Quest for Peace. In that one, Clark walks off of Lois's balcony, completely freaking her out and blowing his secret identity. Then, after he takes her flying, he mind-wipes her AGAIN. The casual way he does it seems to imply that it's not an isolated incident. Exactly how much time has Lois lost due to Clark messing with her like that? How many times has he taken her away for some romantic weekend or whatever and then made her forget it? The implications are horrible.

I like the way you made the mind-wipe part of Clark's telepathy. It hadn't occurred to me before I read this story that his telepathy might be used that way.
Posted By: Queen of the Capes Re: FDK: Memory (1/1) - 04/10/13 12:04 PM
Bob, never think you can't write comedy. laugh
Posted By: John Lambert Re: FDK: Memory (1/1) - 04/10/13 09:53 PM
This was funny. smile1 that Clark quickly fixed the problem, at least most of it.

After getting to the end, it made a bit more sense what Lois had said to Clark earlier. She does not realize they even have to keep the secret, so mentioning Miami in the newsroom is no big deal.

The headed for Perry's office. “Please close the door,” he said when they arrived.
I think that line should open with "they".
Posted By: John Lambert Re: FDK: Memory (1/1) - 04/10/13 09:57 PM
Originally posted by bobbart:
First of all, thank you all so much for the very kind words. I really was worried about how well this would work. Beverly was my only beta on this and she has a tendency to be less-than-critical when she reviews my stories. I'm very happy that so many are enjoying the story.

Morgana:
Maybe Clark should have listened to Zara and Ching.
But everything was going so well... The reality is that I don't think any of us would be willing to listen to this type of caution unless we had some very hard evidence that there was a danger. Well, Clark did get the evidence, he just got it a little late.
Considering it was the only way he had to communicate with his wife, I don't really blame him. I am more shocked he went at all.
Posted By: John Lambert Re: FDK: Memory (1/1) - 04/10/13 10:05 PM
Originally posted by Shallowford:
Doh!! Things'll never be the same in the Kent/El/Lane household.

I have to say the memory wipe kiss is the msot distubing power Superman ever had. It has huge potential as a date rape drug.

I am glad that here he only intentionally uses it to try to counter-act what he did before.

On another note, I am confused as to how Lois rememberes losing her memories, but does not remember that Clark has a secret. I guess the easiest way to explain it is that probably if she thought about it, she would realize that they worked to keep the secret, she probably remembers the incidents with Samantha's photos, but the impression of who Clark really is is so deeply implanted in her psyche that she subconciously thinks everyone knows.
Posted By: John Lambert Re: FDK: Memory (1/1) - 04/10/13 10:11 PM
Originally posted by mrsMxyzptlk:
It would probably take me a while to dig and find some issues where Superman uses super-hypnotism. I'll see what I can find.
Along with using it to mess with people, he would use super-hypnotism as part of his disguise. I've got a comic from the late 50's or early 60's where it showed that every morning before Clark left for work, he would do his hypnotism thing in the mirror on himself so that all day he would subtly hypnotize everyone he met into not noticing that he looked exactly like Superman. I'm pretty sure he used it a few times to mess with Lois's memories.

However, even given this obscure precedent for Superman having mental powers and being able to mess with people's minds, I agree that the whole Superman II mind-wipe kiss is pretty messed up. Even creepier, though, is Superman IV: A Quest for Peace. In that one, Clark walks off of Lois's balcony, completely freaking her out and blowing his secret identity. Then, after he takes her flying, he mind-wipes her AGAIN. The casual way he does it seems to imply that it's not an isolated incident. Exactly how much time has Lois lost due to Clark messing with her like that? How many times has he taken her away for some romantic weekend or whatever and then made her forget it? The implications are horrible.

I like the way you made the mind-wipe part of Clark's telepathy. It hadn't occurred to me before I read this story that his telepathy might be used that way.
Superman 4 was a horribly done movie, but I have to agree Clark reusing the mind-wipe kiss was beyond bad. At least in Lois and Clark when Lois lost her memory that Clark was Superman, it was not Clark erasing that memory.
Posted By: Darth Michael Re: FDK: Memory (1/1) - 04/14/13 04:04 AM
I just wanted to let you know that we're about to enter Earth orbit. I'll be home in a few minutes. We'll talk for real then.
Ooooh! Teeping!

He was finding it a constant challenge to not engage her in continuous conversation.
Yeah, that could be distracting. Although, I wonder who would be the more playful one during a press conference about the mayor’s daughter’s best friend’s poodle learning a new trick or a staff meeting.

In any case, the ability to reach out to her at any time was going to come in so handy next time she was in trouble.
[Linked Image]

Shortly thereafter he realized he was hearing Lois's thoughts.
Oh my. That *is* long distance. Hope he’s got a good service provider, otherwise the charges will be a killer.

Clark had been giddy over being able to contact Lois, but both Zara and Ching seemed to think it was a bad idea to exercise his telepathy with a non-Kryptonian.
Spoil sports.

“Oh, I completely forgot,” Lois said. “I was working on some research when you arrived. I need to pick up those files.”
Oh my.

“Superman, how could you?” she asked, clearly distraught. “You know I'm married to Clark. How could you come into my house like this? I...”
Uh-oh.

Then it hit him. He'd been told that physical contact would greatly enhance his Kryptonian telepathy but he'd completely forgotten that warning
[Linked Image]

It's okay to kiss Superman, you're married to him. Finally the kiss ended and Lois sighed against him. Good, he thought. That's better.

Then he felt Lois go stiff. “Clark! What are you doing?” she yelled.
[Linked Image]

“What can we do?” Lois asked. “I don't want to risk having my memory altered every time we have a passionate kiss.”
[Linked Image] Can you imagine what happens when they go to the bedroom and Clark thinks his wife is as good in bed she could make money with it?

“Sure,” she said. “There's this place in Miami that I read about. They are supposed to have some of the best sandwiches in the country.”
Oops? Not so loud, Lois.

Perry offered a printout to Lois. “Read the section I circled.”
laugh

Not only does he support this charity as Superman, he volunteers regularly in his everyday identity of Clark Kent.”
[Linked Image]

“Everyone knows that Superman is just Clark dressed up so he can help people.”
[Linked Image] Someone was a bit too unspecific in his indoctrination, huh?

wave Michael
Posted By: bobbart Re: FDK: Memory (1/1) - 04/14/13 12:36 PM
mrsMxyzptlk:
I found some examples. It is a good hook to use to explain why no one recognizes Clark <=> Superman. I just don't remember it.
Even creepier, though, is Superman IV: A Quest for Peace. In that one, Clark walks off of Lois's balcony, completely freaking her out and blowing his secret identity. Then, after he takes her flying, he mind-wipes her AGAIN. The casual way he does it seems to imply that it's not an isolated incident.
Superman IV is really one continuous train wreck. I guess that the most amazing thing is how bad it could have been. Have you ever watched the deleted scenes from that movie? As bad as the movie was, it would have been even worse if they had left in some of the really bad stuff that they filmed. razz

Queen:
Bob, never think you can't write comedy. [Rotflol]

Oh, poor Clark! [Laugh]
Thank you. Telepathy should come with a warning label. smile

John:
This was funny. [Smiley] that Clark quickly fixed the problem, at least most of it.
Well, it looks mostly fixed. Now they get to try to figure out what Lois thinks she knows vs. what she used to know. dizzy
She does not realize they even have to keep the secret, so mentioning Miami in the newsroom is no big deal.
Exactly! Fortunately she didn't invite any of the rest of the newsroom to come to Miami with them for lunch. smile
I think that line should open with "they".
Fixed now. Thank you.
I don't really blame him. I am more shocked he went at all.
I didn't see this trip as a particularly big deal. This time it was strictly a month-long business trip. There was no talk of marrying someone else and no threat of not coming back.
Superman 4 was a horribly done movie, but I have to agree Clark reusing the mind-wipe kiss was beyond bad.
I may have to re-watch Superman IV just to remind myself how bad it really is.

Michael:
Oh my. That *is* long distance. Hope he’s got a good service provider, otherwise the charges will be a killer.
evil devil
[Clap] You do comedy well, Bob.
Thank you, Michael.

Bob
© Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards