Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#9183 12/15/03 08:52 AM
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
LOL, nice one, Wendy! I was about halfway through before I twigged to who "he" probably was, or at least who he wasn't <g> Nice work. It's almost like a real story! laugh

and again, Happy Birthday, Tank!

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
#9184 12/15/03 09:02 AM
G
Columnist
Columnist
G
Cool! cool

gerry

#9185 12/15/03 09:36 AM
Features Writer
Features Writer
Nice job, Wendy. smile

In her comments, Pam wrote,
I was about halfway through before I twigged to who "he" probably was, or at least who he wasn't
Me too, Pam! And I'm a bit embarrassed to say that, considering I just finished reading and writing feedback on the "other" birthday story.

But before I realized exactly what you were doing, Wendy, I really liked this:

She’d accepted his proposal, if she was honest with herself, purely on the rebound. And - this required even more honesty - as an act of defiance, in the hope that *he* would realise just what he’d thrown away and that he’d come crawling to her, begging her to forgive him and marry him instead.
Because I don't think this is an aspect that has been touched on much in fanfic before. That Lois might have been harboring some deep secret hope that accepting Lex's proposal would force Superman to admit his love for her.

Certainly this has worked on mere mortal men more than once. And since Lois believed that she would love the ordinary man beneath the super powers, perhaps she at least fantasized about such a scenario...

But that's not the direction this story headed, is it? :rolleyes: But it was terrific, nonetheless, especially the promise about the hair...

Happy Birthday again, Tank! party

Kathy

"Our thoughts form the universe. They always matter." - Babylon 5
#9186 12/15/03 09:49 AM
Merriwether
Merriwether
Well, I had a feeling from the beginning who "he" was going to be, but I still cracked up when I read "his" line:

“I do,” he said fervently. “I’ll even promise to learn to live with your long hair. As long as we don’t have kids... Lois Lane, will you marry me?”
I think the "as long as we don't have kids" part was what really did me in ... LOL, Wendy, nice!

Though I have to agree with KathyM about Lois's hope that Superman (or Clark, for that matter) would come to stop the wedding, declaring his undying love for her as he marched down the aisle to carry her away, is an interesting void in our fanfic ... hmm, maybe you have your next story in mind now. <bg>

Happy Birthday, Tank, round two! smile

Kathy

#9187 12/15/03 10:00 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I was clueless till the end.

Loved the line about not having children.

James

“…with God everything is possible.” Matthew 19:26.

Also read Nan's Terran Underground!
#9188 12/15/03 10:50 AM
Merriwether
Merriwether
Lol. From the first "he", I figured it was Tank and not Superman that she was thinking of. I wasn't too sure until I saw the ending, though. I loved how Lois couldn't get him out of her head. Tho I'm not sure Tank would ever crawl and beg. wink Great story, and I'm sure Tank's happy, even with the long hair! laugh

Again, happy birthday, Tank. laugh

"You need me. You wouldn't be much of a hero without a villain. And you do love being the hero, don't you. The cheering children, the swooning women, you love it so much, it's made you my most reliable accomplice." -- Lex Luthor to Superman, Question Authority, Justice League Unlimited
#9189 12/15/03 10:59 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
“I do,” he said fervently. “I’ll even promise to learn to live with your long hair. As long as we don’t have kids... Lois Lane, will you marry me?”

“Oh, Tank, I’d love to!”
rotflol rotflol rotflol

I was clueless til the end as well.
Jen

"Meg...who let you back in the house?" -Family Guy
#9190 12/15/03 11:41 AM
T
Merriwether
Merriwether
T
Let's just say that considering what the story was for, I had my suspicions from the start as to who 'He' might be (or more accurately hopes).

There was one little flaw in the story though. Since I don't have any super hero double identity to hide, nor am I as stupid as Clark; there is no way in he -, er, heaven and earth that I'd ever turn down an affirmation of love from Lois Lane. (I'd have to think hard about one from Teri Hatcher as it's likely that she'll keep custody of 'the child').

Good ending though. I can accept the hair, but that doesn't mean I wouldn't try to change her mind. wink

Tank (who, on second thought, wonders if in this alternate universe he wasn't supposed to be Superman... no, the thought of him in tights is just too horrible to contemplate)

#9191 12/15/03 11:52 AM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
lol, Wendy!

Unlike others, who obviously know your tricks, you evil thing, you, I didn't get it until the very end. But it was still hilarious! Loved the part about the kids and the hair. So, did Tank reject her because she refused to cut her hair? *grin* Sounds very Tank-like to me. I guess he can live with it, if it means getting Lois (and no kids).

Nice work!

#9192 12/15/03 12:18 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Hi,

Cute! hyper

Maria D. Ferdez.
---
Don't like Luthor, unfinished, untitled and crossover story, and people that promises and don't deliver. I'm getting choosy with age.
MAF
#9193 12/15/03 10:15 PM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
rotflol Can't type for laughing! I was clueless till the very last line, especially since I completely missed this line
"I'll even promise to learn to live with your long hair. As long as we don't have kids... Lois Lane, will you marry me?"
I think it's because I was simply reading it as Lois' thoughts in that ep, having completely forgotten who it was written for blush , and so I was assuming it was Clark. Tho I did wonder what had happend to the Krypontite cage...

Belated Happy Birthday, Tank. party

Loriel

"Inappropriate attachment" didn't begin to cover the depth of the feelings Vaughn had for Sydney Bristow.
~Ties That Bind by RJ Anderson~

I ramble at http://www.livejournal.com/~loriel_eris
#9194 12/15/03 11:43 PM
Columnist
Columnist
rotflol

Good job, Wendy! Happy Birthday, Tank!

Irene

I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me at once.
#9195 12/16/03 12:10 AM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
...And here I was reading innocently along, suspecting the person in question was Perry! goofy laugh

Nice one, Wendy! Hope Tank enjoyed. smile

Hazel

Lois: You know the deal.
Clark: Superman gets the guys in capes, Lois and Clark get the guys in suits.

-- Action Comics 827
#9196 12/16/03 01:49 AM
Kerth
Kerth
Good story... but "HE" was to obvious laugh

Jose smile1

"Practice up your shielding spells...and remember to duck if you see green light coming your way."

Harry Potter to Wizengamot in OotP trial

A Bad Week in the Wizengamot
#9197 12/16/03 09:26 PM
T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
Wendy

ROTFL!! smile1

Tricia cool

#9198 12/16/03 11:05 PM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Thank you, Hazel!

suspecting the person in question was Perry!
I'm so glad I wasn't the only one! blush

Loriel

"Inappropriate attachment" didn't begin to cover the depth of the feelings Vaughn had for Sydney Bristow.
~Ties That Bind by RJ Anderson~

I ramble at http://www.livejournal.com/~loriel_eris
#9199 12/17/03 05:27 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
WENDY!!!!!!!!!!!
clap

Happy Birthday, Tank! party

Kaethel smile

- I'm your partner. I'm your friend.
- Is that what we are?
- Oh, you know what? I don't know what we are. We kiss and then we never talk about it. We nearly die frozen in each other's arms, but we never talk about it, so no, I got no clue what we are.

~ Rick Castle and Kate Beckett ~ Knockout ~
#9200 12/17/03 02:15 PM
Features Writer
Features Writer
Just caught up Wendy
nice story
Happy Birthday, late Tank
merry

#9201 12/18/03 01:58 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I just want to say thanks to everyone who commented on this little bit of silliness. It was a spur-of-the-moment thing, written in about 45 minutes once I realised that it was Tank's birthday and I thought I couldn't let my occasional writing partner's birthday go past without some sort of tribute. wink Glad you liked it, Tank! laugh

As for why 'he' might have rejected Lois in the first place, well, who knows? goofy Though I do like Sarah's suggestion that Lois might have refused to cut her hair and insisted that she wanted children. wink

KathyM said:
I don't think this is an aspect that has been touched on much in fanfic before. That Lois might have been harboring some deep secret hope that accepting Lex's proposal would force Superman to admit his love for her.

Certainly this has worked on mere mortal men more than once. And since Lois believed that she would love the ordinary man beneath the super powers, perhaps she at least fantasized about such a scenario...
and KathyB also commented on it:
Though I have to agree with KathyM about Lois's hope that Superman (or Clark, for that matter) would come to stop the wedding, declaring his undying love for her as he marched down the aisle to carry her away, is an interesting void in our fanfic ... hmm, maybe you have your next story in mind now. <bg>
LOL! goofy

But, yes, it is an intriguing approach, and is another possible way to explain Lois's crazy decision to marry Lex. Maybe she never really did think that she'd have to go through with it? Perhaps she was, even subconsciously, hoping that Superman would change his mind when confronted with, she hoped, feelings of jealousy.

Would I write a story based on that premise? Well, I wouldn't say no, but I do have several other WIPs which I need to get back to fairly soon, so I don't want to commit to anything - and I wouldn't want to stop someone else from using this premise in the meantime, either. If anyone else does want to run with it, feel free, though it'd be nice if you mentioned the source of the inspiration. wink

Hope you had a great birthday, Tank!

Wendy smile

Just a fly-by! *waves*

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard