Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#91092 11/13/12 06:25 AM
bobbart Offline OP
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
In the episode, Lois - as well as everyone else - woke up on morning #2 clear of Revenge. Based on my review of the timing, that would have been on the close order of 44 hours after exposure.

So, for this work, my operational rules are that Revenge normally wears off between 36 and 44 hours after exposure with 36 being the minumun time that the drug will remain active.

Comments here please.

#91093 11/13/12 08:30 AM
J
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
J
Revenge + 51 hours
So is Lois free now?

It was nearly noon when the elevator door opened to admit Clark and Lois to the Daily Planet bullpen. Clark took only half a step before he paused and looked around nervously. This morning was going to be the “coming out” for his and Lois’s new relationship.
How are they going to explain being so late?

If he and Lois were still engaged when the weekend arrived,
Their engaged? When did this happen? Is this is "I will not marry you until you come out of this" being an engagement, or was there something else?

“All those decorations are down. Don’t you remember? Yesterday morning the whole place looked like someone set off a Valentine’s Day bomb.”

“I remember,” she said wistfully. “I liked the decorations.”
Yep, she is still affected.

“You mean this?” Lois asked with a smile, holding up her hand and showing off her engagement ring they’d just purchased.
smile1 Clark got her a ring. I guess they are officially engaged. Have they set a date? Hmm.

“The headache. Just like everyone else here.” Jimmy was clearly in pain.
So how did Lois luck out and avoid this?

“I did,” Lois said without hesitation.
Maybe she should not be so quick to admit this. People will suspect the genuiness of her engagement to Clark. Hmm, on the other hand, whether or not she admits being hit by the perfume people will suspect.

John Pack Lambert
#91094 11/13/12 08:46 AM
J
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
J
I am glad Clark still wants to bring Lois back, even if Cat doesn't.

With the ring on her finger, hopefully Lois won't Clark too much a cad when she recovers. On the other hand, maybe she will.

Half of me likes the new Lois, but I do not know that she can last, and I am not sure she can really continue to function in her job.

John Pack Lambert
#91095 11/13/12 03:32 PM
Merriwether
Merriwether
You know, it never occurred to me to wonder before what might happen if the drug never wore off. So my hat is off to you, Bob, for coming up with a truly original premise. If there's another story out there that explores this idea, I haven't read it!

I'm delighted by this story and am eagerly reading each chapter. Seeing the newsroom's response was fascinating. Not only did we learn more about how unusual Lois's response to the drug was, but we also got to see how honestly and openly Clark navigated the questions.

I definitely did not see "Lo-Lo" coming, though! I'm not sure whether to laugh or cry. She's a so much happier person (and it was particularly fascinating to see Cat's take on the situation, not to mention Clark's protective stance, which I *loved*) yet I can't help but feel sad for Clark. As much as he wants to be with Lois, and as wonderful as Lo-Lo treats him, she's not Lois ... and he knows it. So you've done a nice job of making the reader feel exactly what Clark surely feels ... happy that they are so sweet together, but worried about when the other shoe is going to drop and what the reaction will be. Kudos to you!

Kathy

#91096 11/13/12 04:18 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Wow. To think I almost passed this one by; I glanced at the title, wasn't sure what to infer from it (I was thinking maybe another "Clark and his Issues" story), and figured maybe I'd see its description when it was archived. Thank goodness somebody got my attention about it! Bob, this is Awesome! smile1

I can't wait! This is such a sexy and romantic and sad exploration of the woman Clark loves. How soon can you post more? grovel

~•~
#91097 11/13/12 08:14 PM
bobbart Offline OP
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
John
So is Lois free now?
Obviously not. She isn’t going to be free for some time.
Their engaged? When did this happen? Is this is "I will not marry you until you come out of this" being an engagement, or was there something else?
And
Clark got her a ring. I guess they are officially engaged. Have they set a date? Hmm.
He won’t complete the marriage. I went back and looked at the end of chapter 2 again. It was supposed to be clear that he was promising to marry her in the future when she recovered. That is my idea of an engagement.
So how did Lois luck out and avoid this?
There is a big science section coming in chapter 5 where I take my best shot at explaining Revenge. One part of the research I did was to explain why Lois had no headache. That part got cut from the story but I’ll be happy to explain when I post chapter 5. (Her lack of headache, or more specifically, the headache that everyone else has, it tied to how Revenge works. At least in my universe. smile )

Kathy
You know, it never occurred to me to wonder before what might happen if the drug never wore off. So my hat is off to you, Bob, for coming up with a truly original premise. If there's another story out there that explores this idea, I haven't read it!
Thank you. But I must bow to Queen of the Capes for the origin of the idea. However, I really am surprised that as often as PML has been covered, no one explored a Lois that remained affected.
…yet I can't help but feel sad for Clark. As much as he wants to be with Lois, and as wonderful as Lo-Lo treats him, she's not Lois
Keep this in mind.

Queen of the Capes

First, thank you for the wonderful short that was truly the origin of this idea.

Now it's official. Now, the title's significance is revealed. This is not Lois. There's something potent about names. You can stretch your definition of Lois to include "Lois, only she's acting tipsy" and "Lois, only she has a touch of mania," but now, she's Lo-Lo. Not Lois. Lo-Lo. A different woman, with a different identity.
And we have a winner!!! Yes, Lo-lo vs. Lois is – in my opinion – the most important aspect of this story. (If it wasn't, the title would be something different smile ) I’m tempted to say more, but I don’t want to spoil anything.

This is such a sexy and romantic and sad exploration of the woman Clark loves.
You are too kind. This is exactly what I’m trying to achieve. (Yes, there is some sad mixed in.) Consider what we’ve already seen. Lois is respected/Lo-lo is liked. Lois is successful/Lo-lo is happy. I love the line from Harvey:
Years ago my mother used to say to me, she'd say, "In this world, Elwood, you must be" - she always called me Elwood - "In this world, Elwood, you must be oh so smart or oh so pleasant." Well, for years I was smart. I recommend pleasant. You may quote me.
All of us, Lois included, should consider Elwood’s mother’s words carefully.

My “official” posting schedule is every other day. However, so far I am staying ahead of that. My plan for right now is to post Chapter 4 tomorrow evening.

Bob

#91098 11/13/12 08:44 PM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Bob, I love that quote from Harvey. Such a great movie. smile1

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
#91099 11/14/12 01:41 AM
Kerth
Kerth
Cat might prefer Lo-Lo, but I don't! wink

I wonder if this is going to feel like being with Lois-clone to Clark. She looks like Lois, but she isn't Lois.

What is it that makes a person that person?

Very interesting, Bob. And wonderfully well handled, too.

Corrina.

#91100 11/14/12 04:32 AM
S
SJH Offline
Features Writer
Features Writer
S
Yeah, what they said. Lois is scaring me. She behaving as if she's locked in a chocolate factory or something and Willy Wonka has the key.
Although...

"I'm red-eyed, tired and drunk" Teri Hatcher
"Fun will now commence" 7of9
#91101 11/14/12 08:23 AM
bobbart Offline OP
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Virginia:
Yes, though I thought Lois and Clark had decided on marriage in the last part, I didn't feel like it was official enough for a ring, because Clark fell in love with Lois, not Lo-Lo (the Yo-yo). I figured they would wait and see what happened when Revenge wore off. I also figured since the engagement was being kept from his parents they wouldn't be so bold as to go and get her a ring.
My vision was that Lo-lo wanted the ring right now, just like she wanted to get married right now. For this whole section of the story, I see Clark as just trying to ride the wave and not fall off. Is he making some bad decisions? Absolutely! But he’s doing his best in an incredible situation.

As for you other points, many will be addressed as the story moves forward.

Corrina:
Cat might prefer Lo-Lo, but I don't!
I certainly understand that. Lo-lo is based on Lois’s behavior in the office the morning of day 2. She struck me as a no-worries, almost childlike personality. As such, she is the type of personality that will tend to get on your nerves.

Now, that said, in many ways Lo-lo is only 1 day old. Lois has no life experience living and acting this way. She has to learn how to take this personality out in the real world. I see her as growing more mature and becoming less childlike the longer Lo-lo stays around.

SJH:
Yeah, what they said. Lois is scaring me. She behaving as if she's locked in a chocolate factory or something and Willy Wonka has the key.
This is actually how I see her too. However, my reasoning for the “sugar fog” behavior is as much the point I made to Corrina – the fact that Lo-lo is only 1 day old – as it is the effects caused directly by Revenge.

Bob

#91102 11/14/12 01:38 PM
J
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
J
Well we havn't seen Lo-lo take on Miranda, so I will hold off my full judgements.

On the issue of getting the ring, I think Clark made the best decision. Lois would have told the whole office whether or not she had a ring. Giving her the ring shows that Clark is committed to it. It will weight in his favor well Lois recovers, at least I hope.

It is not like anyone at the DP known Martha and Jonathan so not telling his parents does not impact her wearing the ring there.

However, they have not discussed whether or not they will tell her parents. That might be a bigger issue.

Hmm, maybe that is the way to snap some sense into Lo-lo. Mention her parents to her.

John Pack Lambert
#91103 11/14/12 03:58 PM
Merriwether
Merriwether
Regarding the decisions Clark has made, I think one could make a case for him actually protecting her by his actions. By keeping her close to him, he ensures that she openly talks with him about her reaction to the drug, which will presumably lead to them finding "Lois" again. It also prevents her from doing something reckless or dangerous in an attempt to get Clark's attention (e.g., how Jimmy was almost hit by a car in his depressed lovesick state).

Obviously he didn't need to make love to her to return her feelings -- that one's all on him -- but the engagement itself doesn't bother me. And hopefully it won't bother Lois when (if? peep ) she "returns".

Kathy (yeah, you know you're hooked when you find yourself thinking about the story when a new part hasn't even been posted. wink )

#91104 11/14/12 05:01 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Hey Bob - is this the story by Queen of the Capes that sparked the idea for this fic?

(BTW, Queenie's story is great!)

#91105 11/15/12 06:18 PM
bobbart Offline OP
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Hi, John. wave
Well we haven't seen Lo-lo take on Miranda, so I will hold off my full judgements.
Yes, what kind of reporter is she? How much of Lois IS there? These will become significant questions.
Hmm, maybe that is the way to snap some sense into Lo-lo. Mention her parents to her.
wave It’s been too long.
Hey Bob - is this the story by Queen of the Capes that sparked the idea for this fic?
Yes. I posted a link at the top of Chapter 2. I hope you enjoy the story.

Thank you all.
Bob
wave

#91106 12/30/12 06:13 AM
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Online Content
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Despite the assurances that Lois continued to offer, he couldn’t completely quell doubts about the decisions that the two of them had made with respect to their relationship
Also, her mind ‘clearing up’ and her getting ticked off just before they enter the news room, oh boy. That would be *really* bad.

“All those decorations are down. Don’t you remember? Yesterday morning the whole place looked like someone set off a Valentine’s Day bomb.”

“I remember,” she said wistfully. “I liked the decorations.”
Yep. So still in la-la land.

Lois threw her arms around him and this kiss lasted far more than the second or so of the previous one. Her attack caught him off-guard, but Clark quickly decided to simply enjoy the moment. He put his arms around her and made sure that this was a kiss worthy of office gossip.
Well… the pony sure is out for the show now.

“You don’t want to give me away?” Lois asked in a disappointed tone.
[Linked Image] Poor, drugged Lois.

Lois stood so that her back was to Perry. Then she smiled at Clark and mouthed the words, “You’re in trou-ble,” without making a sound.
She’s a naughty little elf.

“Since when does ‘the best’ mean taking advantage of her when she’s under the influence of that drug?” Perry asked in a voice that clearly conveyed his displeasure.
Well…he *is* the best.

Something seemed to change in her after that time and it got a lot more complicated.”
Well…she *was* naked in his bed. That made things difficult.

And, when she does return to her old self, I won’t try to duck the consequences of my part in this.”
He means the 9mm stocked with Kryptonite bullets.

“Lo-lo tells me you two are engaged.”
wave Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
#91107 01/01/13 08:19 AM
bobbart Offline OP
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Michael:
Yep. So still in la-la land.
Yes. Lois is on the "all summer long" trip to Wonderland. It's a happy and sparkly place and she's going to stay awhile. smile1
He means the 9mm stocked with Kryptonite bullets.
shock Now THAT would be an unexpected twist.
/imagines her going ‘Lo-Lo Lane for the Daily Planet’ during a press conference/ Oh boy. Not good.
I should have written that scene!

Bob

#91108 01/05/13 09:38 AM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Online Content
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Now THAT would be an unexpected twist.
wave Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard