Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#8582 11/30/03 03:36 AM
Wendymr Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
You already know what I think of this, Yvonne, but I have to say it again anyway. I was bowled over when I first read this - when you sent me those first 28 pages or so. Not only is the idea highly original, but its execution is so well done.

You've portrayed an addict so perfectly, so convincingly. The image of Clark persuading himself that it's some other guy, not himself, getting the Kryptonite, opening the box and so on seems so real; I could just imagine an addict behaving like that. Likewise, his attempt to drown out reality in sex and in silly TV programmes... and all the time his work suffers. So credible!

That scene in Perry's house is great, too. It's obvious that Clark's high as soon as the door is opened and he greets Perry - and then he runs away as soon as the conversation gets a little bit tough, and he grabs another hit. frown Poor Clark!

And all because he's alone and his Lois is dead. whinging Yvonne, I really hope that you're going to do something about that! mad

This bit, though, even brought tears to my eyes re-reading it yet again:
“Sorry, Clark?” said Perry. “I didn’t quite catch that.”

He shuddered. It was over. Perry knew, the whole world knew. Clark Kent, the farmer’s son from Kansas, was a fraud, an out of control kryptonite junkie.

“Yes,” he said. “Yes, you’re right.” He fought silently with himself for a moment, defeat warring with the need to remain private, to keep the sordid little secret to himself. But Perry had cracked him open, and he soon found the words tumbling out of his mouth. “I can’t...I can’t live without it any more.”

His voice broke and the tears came again, rolling down his cheeks, wracking his body with sobs he couldn’t control. “I’m a mess, Perry,” he sobbed. “I can’t do anything right any more. Job, girlfriend, Superman...it’s all gone to hell. The kryptonite is the only thing that gets me through the day.”

“Hey, hey there.” Perry’s solid frame was suddenly beside him, strong arms hugging him tightly while he blubbered against his friend’s shoulder. “We’re going to get you some help, okay? Whatever it takes, we’ll find it for you.”
WAAAH!!! mecry Please make him better!!!

More!

Wendy smile

Just a fly-by! *waves*
#8583 11/30/03 04:27 AM
R
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
R
Very interesting premise. Its a story that will enrage many die hard Superman fans. He has to be perfect with no self-doubt or weak emotions in their view and any deviation from that is not allowed.

Interestingly Smallville is using red kryptonite in the same way. As a drug that blurs Clark's emotions and covers over the psychological hurts. A drug he intentionally exposed himself to in one episode to get away from the emotional pain.

I frankly prefer this more complex Clark who is not perfect at all times. I love these "out of th box" takes on the Superman legend. The comic books would be selling a lot better if those writers had the creative freedom so many writers here on the board embrace.

If the addiction goes too far (in the Smallville epissode Clark still had his loved ones to pull him out of it but Lois is gone here) does Superman become more a threat to humanity?

There is a whole other potential plot here that has been toyed with in the books at times. What if Superman becomes dangerous? Does the government bring him in? But not jail can hold him. Do they enlist Batman who has kryptonite or, more dramatic yet, Luthor to come up with a permanent solution to the Superman problem?

Or does Clark have the super-will to overcome the addiction?

Looking forward to where you take this story.

#8584 11/30/03 05:01 AM
G
Columnist
Columnist
G
Wow! I was excited when I saw that you were posting another story, but then I read it and...Wow!

This is so powerful. You've created a Clark here who is so believable. His loss of Lois, along with any support system (other than Perry and Alice) is developed so realistically. And his growing dependence on the box is so clearly written.

You've looked at different aspects of his life:reporter, Superman, friend (to Perry), his romantic attachments. They all spell a downhill slope, until he hits the bottom.

Let's hope that Clark will let Perry help him.

Did I say Wow! yet?

This is going to be incredible, Yvonne.

gerry

#8585 11/30/03 05:22 AM
Features Writer
Features Writer
Yvonne,
very powerful
ditto others
more
merry

#8586 11/30/03 05:49 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
Yvonee,

Wow.

Just pulled me right in from the first words. And this makes such perfect sense. That the properties of red kryptonite make it irresistible to a Clark Kent in pain and abandoned.

This is bleak, but in a good way, in a Yvonne Connell way in that it is never overdone, is always smart, and has moments of great poignancy and sweetness, too.

So glad, glad, glad you were ambushed by this story and are posting....Keep it coming!

CC

You mean we're supposed to have lives?

Oh crap!

~Tank
#8587 11/30/03 11:18 AM
T
Merriwether
Merriwether
T
Well, you certainly like your Clark's weak don't you wink .

Actually I have much less problem with this story than I did with Purity.

I have to disagree with Randi in her assertion that the comics would sell better if the writers had the 'freedom' that the fic writers do. One of the problems with the comics is that the writers too often use their freedom to explore themes that either don't work well for the character or aren't particularly interesting to the average comic book reader. I think you can agree that the majority of comic book readers would have little interest in the types of stories that proliferate in our fanfiction.

Too often, in an effort to make Superman seem more human the comic writers come up with storylines that totally go against who Clark Kent/Superman really is. He doesn't succomb to those things that can 'get to' other people. His emotional strengths and resolute moral center are what makes him who he is. They are what makes him Superman. Too often the comic writers only think the powers make him Superman.

Now this has been a long round about way to compliment Yvonne, but there is only one thing that can cause Clark/Superman to fail in such a manner. Only one real weakness. The button that Yvonne was wise enough to push... Lois.

The unfortunate part of this story is that once again my forty plus years of comic book reading puts me at odds with the 'details' of the story. It's not really important that the series got red kryptonite wrong, but it is a minor irritant to us long time comic book readers.

For those who don't know what I'm talking about. In the comic books, each piece of red kryptonite has a unique effect on a Kryptonian, and it can only effect them once. This allowed the silver age comic writers to put Superman into ridiculous situations if they wanted to (like Superman with an ant's head). So, there is no problem with a particular piece of red K having this 'effect' on Clark, but according to comic legend it could only effect him once (I believe it wore off in 48 hours).

Off course, that would sort of kill the story, wouldn't it?

Tank (who wonders if Yvonne is going to be able to 'cure' this Clark without a Lois)

#8588 11/30/03 11:40 AM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Wow! Interesting story! I've never thought of this angle on a LnC story! Keep up the good work!

#8589 11/30/03 12:34 PM
Blogger
Blogger
Wow! It's been a long time since I've seen a truly unique concept. This is amazing and very well written. Kudos to you!

#8590 11/30/03 12:35 PM
R
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
R
I take your points Tank about the comic book, its established readers and what they want/expect.

The problem is still there IMO. The shrinking base of readers hate any changes or growth in the canon. But if something does not grow it dies. Superman sells 30,000+ copies/month. Batman and Spiderman sell around 110,000/month.

If nothing else tells you the Superman books and this franchise in general are in trouble (how long has it been since there has been a successful Superman project and look at the still in development hell of Superman Lives), these numbers do.

New readers as a rule don't seem interested in the one-dimensional Boy Scout who never has a bad thought. They are looking for more complex (and partially dark) characters and characterizations.

I love the way Luthor is portrayed on Smallville. Not a one-dimensional bad guy but someone I can sympathize with and maybe even root for. But fanboys hate the Lex of Smallville. Its the same thing again. No chnages allowed in the Superman mythos despite the fact everything else is changing around it.

DC wants to explore this version Luthor but the pressure from the "don't change a thing" lobby is forcing them to do that experiment under the Vertigo, not DC, logo next year.

The sales of Superman's titles will continue to drift down as long as this creative straighjacket remains and the time could come when the books are cancelled because they are not selling. Even the Flash and Green Lantern are now outselling the Superman title most months.

When something new and interesting like Birthright comes out the fans (many of them anyway) rip it to pieces and hope it will fail. But for me, Birthright has gotten me into purchasing a Superman book again for the first time in years.

Its a no-win situation and that is why lots of writers don't want to do the Superman books. Too much "baggage" and not enough creative freedom.

We can all be thankful for the creative freedom on this board, and that the effects of red-K last more than 48 hours - in our little corner of the universe anyway!

#8591 11/30/03 01:35 PM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Oh, Yvonne... I'm supposed to be studying for a test tomorrow, but I sneaked a look at this and had to read it. (I can see me trying to explain this tomorrow!) smile Anyway, it was definitely worth putting off the books for a bit. Poor Clark is so alone! This definitely magnifies the fact that he needs Lois. Another woman, no matter how well intentioned, just wouldn't be the same.

I'm so glad Perry is there to intervene. Hopefully Clark gets the help he needs and then maybe he can figure out how to solve this Lois is missing and maybe dead problem. (I'm trusting you will find a way!) huh

Anyway, great start, Yvonne and a very original idea! I can't wait for part two. eek

Jana (who is going back to studying diseases and disorders of the kidneys)

"Don't you people have lives?!?" ~Joe on Wings

"An eternal, burning flame. Hope lives on and love remains." ~from Love Remains, by Collin Raye
#8592 11/30/03 02:59 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Hi,

Great start. thumbsup

But Perry was going to get him the help he needed, right? He wouldn’t need this stuff at all once Perry’s friend was finished with him.

Yeah, that sounded better. He would be back to his old self, and she...well, he wouldn’t even remember her name. She’d be erased from his soul.
He feel miserable. frown

More soon, please.

MAF thumbsup

Maria D. Ferdez.
---
Don't like Luthor, unfinished, untitled and crossover story, and people that promises and don't deliver. I'm getting choosy with age.
MAF
#8593 12/02/03 01:54 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
Well, phew. I had worried that this story was a complete character assassination of poor Clark, who really doesn't deserve all that I throw at him. But you all seem to think this is a legitimate way of torturing him, so that's all right. laugh

To answer the posting schedule question first, I plan to post every other day, with a view to finishing before Christmas (2003, not 2004 <g>). This isn't a massively long story, unlike most of my previous efforts.

Next, I'll answer the superpowered withdrawal question - no (and I hope I haven't spoiled anyone by leaking that information). I don't think it's in Clark's nature to get violent, so even when high on drugs or fighting a craving for drugs, I don't think he'd intentionally hurt anyone or even threaten to hurt them. On the other hand, there are certainly unique problems associated with handling an addict who can see through just about anything, force anything open and travel faster than anything else on the planet. wink

Thirdly, the originality accolades. Well, not quite. I have to admit that I was aware that Smallville has made use of red kryptonite as a drug, so I'm not the first person to think up the idea. That said, I didn't consiously think 'Hey, I'll copy that marvelous Smallville idea' - it was just one of those fragments of information which swim around in the messy gloop of my imagination. Anyway, as far as I know, teenage Clark didn't actually get addicted to the stuff.

Fourthly, Tank and Randi. You probably know already that I don't read the comics and have zero interest in them - I tried one once and just couldn't get along with it at all. So I'll never be able to make my stories fit that universe and I'll certainly never include other comic characters like Batman in my stories. smile Tank, you're right - there's probably something deeply psychological about the way I treat and write Clark, but let's not go there. laugh It's a scary place. blush Leave that stuff to George...oh, you haven't met George, yet, have you? You will if you manage to read any more of this thing. smile

Finally, many, many thanks for letting me know exactly what you think of this. It's especially heartening to hear that I've managed to move at least one of you to tears (I mean that in a positive way laugh ). If I ever move you to tears in a negative way, do let me know. wink

Yvonne

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard