You already know what I think of this, Yvonne, but I have to say it again anyway. I was bowled over when I first read this - when you sent me those first 28 pages or so. Not only is the idea highly original, but its execution is so well done.

You've portrayed an addict so perfectly, so convincingly. The image of Clark persuading himself that it's some other guy, not himself, getting the Kryptonite, opening the box and so on seems so real; I could just imagine an addict behaving like that. Likewise, his attempt to drown out reality in sex and in silly TV programmes... and all the time his work suffers. So credible!

That scene in Perry's house is great, too. It's obvious that Clark's high as soon as the door is opened and he greets Perry - and then he runs away as soon as the conversation gets a little bit tough, and he grabs another hit. frown Poor Clark!

And all because he's alone and his Lois is dead. whinging Yvonne, I really hope that you're going to do something about that! mad

This bit, though, even brought tears to my eyes re-reading it yet again:
“Sorry, Clark?” said Perry. “I didn’t quite catch that.”

He shuddered. It was over. Perry knew, the whole world knew. Clark Kent, the farmer’s son from Kansas, was a fraud, an out of control kryptonite junkie.

“Yes,” he said. “Yes, you’re right.” He fought silently with himself for a moment, defeat warring with the need to remain private, to keep the sordid little secret to himself. But Perry had cracked him open, and he soon found the words tumbling out of his mouth. “I can’t...I can’t live without it any more.”

His voice broke and the tears came again, rolling down his cheeks, wracking his body with sobs he couldn’t control. “I’m a mess, Perry,” he sobbed. “I can’t do anything right any more. Job, girlfriend, Superman...it’s all gone to hell. The kryptonite is the only thing that gets me through the day.”

“Hey, hey there.” Perry’s solid frame was suddenly beside him, strong arms hugging him tightly while he blubbered against his friend’s shoulder. “We’re going to get you some help, okay? Whatever it takes, we’ll find it for you.”
WAAAH!!! mecry Please make him better!!!

More!

Wendy smile

Just a fly-by! *waves*