Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
DW

she is unexpectedly to go away for a few days
Time to clear up a misunderstanding. AFAIK, you can fly from one side of the USA to the other in about 5 hours. If we assume Kansas is somewhere in the middle, that's about 2.5 hours. So, if Lois were to leave really early, she could be back the same day. 5 hours of flying, 3 hours of driving from Wichita to Smallville and back, 3 hours in Smallville. Leave about 6am, return about 5pm. Does that work?

So she won't have to swap her shifts much - and she won't have to leave Clark for too long.

Elizabeth Any comment I make is going to give away too much. wink

MozartMaid Uhmm - again, if I answer definitively, I'm going to give away half of the plot. All I will say is that Lois *will* go to Smallville.

Laura I'm so glad it made your day, Laura.

Bellarase Your day, too, Bellarase. smile

Lois - I think she would have seen a lot in her job - granted, she probably didn't see too many alien creatures, laugh but it takes a lot to rattle her.

Kathy Clark wouldn't be Clark if he thought about his own safety before Lois's smile

Emily

Lois's display of trust by allowing him to glimpse some of her insecurities went a long way. She needs him too!
That's a crucial point. Lois does need Clark.

I'm on serious high alert for the other shoe to drop.
Uhmmmm. dance

Vicki I hope your computer problems get fixed quickly. Thanks for phoning in your FDK.

Lady Moira One of the things I really enjoy about writing the LnC relationship is that they can 'gel' quickly. Blame it on the soul mate thing!

Michael The cleaning up will come. Clark might just need that diagram one day. But there is no evil plan - at least not by me. I intend to keep Tempus *out* of this fic!

Laura So glad you had a happy birthday, Laura.

Again, many thanks to everyone for reading and letting me know your thoughts. My muse (I feel I know Bob's muse personally rotflol so perhaps this is the time to introduce mine - his name is Goo, and he's a workaholic!) always resonds well to such wonderful comments.

Corrina.

Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
I haven't been able to find any direct flights between New York/Philadelphia and Kansas. But it's about two hours from either to Chicago, and two hours from Chicago to Wichita. Assuming she could get a direct Metropolis-Wichita flight, that might shave it to, what, 3.5 hours?

L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
Amy,

Don't forget that this story takes place in the 1990s -- before some airlines went out of business. Even if there are no direct flights now, there may have been then. And even if there weren't any in our universe, it is not requesting one to suspend too much disbelief to think that there would be in the L&C universe. If we can let ourselves believe that a man can fly between Metropolis and Kansas, we can certainly permit ourselves to believe that a plane can do so. smile

Joy,
Lynn

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Originally, I didn't think that plan on flying would work, Corrina. But guess what I found:
Tue, May 10 Delta Air Lines 2673
Depart:6:40am New York, NY (LGA)
Arrive:8:45am Memphis, TN (MEM)
1 stop
• Economy
• 3hr 5min
• Airbus A320

Change planes. Time between flights: 0hr 45min
Delta Air Lines 3811
operated by PINNACLE DBA DELTA CONNECTION
Depart:9:30am Memphis, TN (MEM)
Arrive:11:00amWichita, KS (ICT)

• Economy
• 1hr 30min
• Canadair
Total duration: 5hr 20min
-------------
Return Tue, May 10 Delta Air Lines 4004
operated by PINNACLE DBA DELTA CONNECTION
Depart:4:40pm Wichita, KS (ICT)
Arrive:6:05pm, Memphis, TN (MEM)
1 stop
• Economy
• 1hr 25min
• Canadair

Change planes. Time between flights: 0hr 50min
Delta Air Lines 1960
Depart:6:55pm Memphis, TN (MEM)
Arrive:10:35pm New York, NY (LGA)
• Economy
• 2hr 40min
• Boeing Douglas MD-88
Total duration: 4hr 55min
So today you can fly between New York and Wichita round trip in 12 hours. Everything has to run on schedule, but some miracles do happen.
Hope this helps.
cool
Artemis
The travel and clock nerd.

History is easy once you've lived it. - Duncan MacLeod
Writing history is easy once you've lived it. - Artemis
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Either you've seen my files [Splat] or you're making a reference to something I *think* might have to do with Friends. I'm hoping it's the latter [Wink] but having never watched Friends, that is a guess. [Confused]
Yeah that was me... I responded "He's her lobster" to the part when Clark accepts his powerlessness in the face of Lois. I think on the Friends ep Phoebe quips that Ross is Rachel's lobster b/c lobsters mate for life? It's been awhile since I've seen the ep. It was one of those instances in which the quote so succinctly embodied what I was attempting to convey but became more like a wtf? moment if you didn't recognize the reference smile Sorry 'bout that.

Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
Amy

I haven't been able to find any direct flights between New York/Philadelphia and Kansas.
I couldn't find any either. Lucky for me, Lois is going from Metropolis to Kansas wink

Lynn When you put it like that ... cool

Artemis Thanks for that. A direct flight would shorten the time further.

Emily Thanks for the explanation. My laugh

Corrina.

Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Yeah, I have no problem with her being able to find a direct flight. I was just trying to figure out how long said flight would be. I think 2.5 hours is overly optimistic.

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Nerding further: The distance between New York and Wichita is 1385 miles. The average speed of a jet aircraft is 500 mph. That makes a direct flight 2.77 hours. Takeoff and landing take more time, so it's at least 3 hours. Then the boarding and deplaning process at each end is around an hour even without baggage. So it's at least 6-7 hours round trip on a lucky day even for a direct flight.
cool
Artemis
Who did many flights mid country in the 1990's

Top Banana
Top Banana
What about a night flight? I've taken flights fron NYC to San Juan that left at 11 pm and got in at 4 am. In this uviverse there could be flights like this from Metropolis to Kansas.

"Hold on, my friends, to the Constitution and to the Republic for which it stands. Miracles do not cluster and what has happened once in 6,000 years, may not happen again. Hold on to the Constitution" - Daniel Webster
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Sure, there are night flights. That doesn't make the flight any shorter, though. It just gets you there earlier in the day at your destination. And, admittedly, Metropolis could be closer than New York. But on the east coast it will be about the same time. I've done a lot of flying from California to Washington D.C. and points in between, and the longest pole in the tent is getting from ground to plane to taxiing on the runway to lift off and back again, not the flying time. There's a saying among the Road Warriors "If you have time to spare, go by air." My personal horror is changing planes in ORD (Chicago). It is never a good experience. But we can assume that things work out the best for Lois. There would be less airport traffic and hence runway delays on a night flight.
cool
Artemis

Top Banana
Top Banana
No of course the flight would not be shorter, but the discussion I thought was: can she fly out, drive to Smallville, and get back again before her night shift? if she leaves at 6 am, maybe not. if she leaves the previous night, yes.

"Hold on, my friends, to the Constitution and to the Republic for which it stands. Miracles do not cluster and what has happened once in 6,000 years, may not happen again. Hold on to the Constitution" - Daniel Webster
Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
No arguments that it's going to be a struggle to get from NYC to Kansas in under three hours. However, if we have a fictitious city, it's not too much of a stretch to have a fictitious direct flight. And not much more of a stretch that the direct flight between the fictitious city and Kansas is under three hours.

I admit that having a fictitious airport that runs efficiently might be stretching it a bit!

Corrina.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard