Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#71566 05/07/10 02:04 AM
Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
Just a note ... when we talk about a place, we use singular verbs - Melbourne is the capital of Victoria. When we talk about a football club, we often use plural verbs - Melbourne are having a good season.

Thanks,

Corrina.

#71567 05/07/10 03:45 AM
R
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
R
Even old ladies are susceptible to Clark's charm.

I totally get about moving a team and the loyalty to it. The Baltimore Colts got moved in the middle of the night and became the Indianapolis Colts. It is a sad day some people still talk about.

Great part, looking forward to how it progresses. I am glad last time you gave us a glance of what Lois was thinking.

It is nice to see her boss is like Perry to her

Kathy
www.chili-everyway.com

robinson
#71568 05/07/10 05:04 AM
D
DW Offline
Columnist
Columnist
D
Great part, again smile

Also like how Browny does think highly of Flinders.

Eargerly waiting for part 8 hyper hyper hyper hyper
because I would love to know where this story will go.

#71569 05/07/10 09:25 AM
T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
Like DW said, another great part!

I love your take on canon Clark's interview with the old actress - of course, me being an LnC illiterate, I'm not too sure how the original interview went. Your version was delightful, though.

This was so moving:

"He hoisted me up onto his shoulders and when the siren went, I couldn't see much at all because I was crying like a baby. When my dad took me down, I saw his eyes were red and damp too. He stood me in front of him and put his hands on my shoulders, and just kept saying over and over again, 'We did it, Bess, my girl, we did it'."

Bessie reached into the sleeve of her pink cardigan and pulled out a lacy white handkerchief. She dabbed at her eyes before continuing. "We knew it was special - to see South win a flag - we knew it was special, but deep, deep down in our hearts, we thought we would see another one together. We had a good team, and we had Bob Pratt to kick our goals and we thought ... we thought there would be another one."
Don't take this the wrong way, but this part of your story reminds me of something I asked a Swedish professor of islamology more than twenty years ago. I had tried to read the Koran, and I had read a good bit of it before I gave up out of boredom. Also, I had very recently heard a Muslim woman declare that her religion was the most wonderful thing in the world.

"What's so wonderful about it?" I asked the professor. What I have read in the Koran doesn't strike me as particularly wonderful at all."

"To many Muslim people, the best moments of their lives are often the great Muslim holidays, when the families are gathered and there is a wonderful sense of togetherness and celebration," the professor answered. "It's really not the religion itself that makes most Muslims so happy, but rather the sense of community and celebration as everybody 'gathers around it', as it were."

I was thinking about that statement when I read Bessie Bellchambers' story. Why does she love footy so much? Because she shared so many wonderful moments with her father when the two of them watched their favorite team play, and because she lost her father so early, her memories became doubly precious. Now she has created a "family of her own" which is centered around footy:

Clark asked a few more questions and discovered Bessie had never married - "one bloke was interested, but he barracked for Carlton, so that was never going to work" - and had taken dozens of children to the football on the proviso they wore red and white and cheered for the Swans. Those children, now grown, ensured she always had a ride to the footy.
That's so poignant.

Your fic is lovely without being sappy. That's a hard thing to pull off.

Ann

P.S. I found this recipe for Lamington cakes. Sounds delicious! drool (But as for Vegemite, I think I'll let the Aussies keep it, Corrina!) laugh

#71570 05/07/10 03:35 PM
L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
"If you had the time-management skills of a koala, it would have been ready Tuesday,"
That leaves me both cringing on behalf of Lois and laughing at the turn of phrase.

"That girl ..." he said. "I swear she'll be the death of me."

Clark had not been expecting the affection so clear in the editor's voice.
Lois seems to have that effect on editors, regardless of the continent she is on.

She was pounding her keyboard so hard that he half expected to see smoke rising from it.
Nope. Smoke coming from keyboards only happens when Clark types.

"There's no scope for initiative in Browny's newsroom?" Clark asked. "No room to be creative, to run with an idea?"

Lois sighed. "There's plenty of scope but not without first running it past Browny - and not with a story he's already pencilled in."
That can't sit well with Lois. I wonder whether this is laying additional groundwork for her motivations in going back to Metropolis with Clark by the end of the story? (Assuming, of course, that that is what happens.)

"Do you want to fly solo?" Lois asked.
An interesting question to ask Earth's resident Kryptonian.

"I'll give you the recipe," Bessie said. "You can take it home to your mother."
Two thoughts on this one: Corrina, have you a favourite recipe for them? They sound delicious. 2) Bessie's comment strikes me as more than a bit sexist.

Clark asked a few more questions and discovered Bessie had never married - "one bloke was interested, but he barracked for Carlton, so that was never going to work"
I know you had already mentioned that footy is taken extremely seriously; but is this level of team loyalty typical, or would Bessie's level of loyalty be considered extreme to the point of fanaticism?

If I ever meet your mother, I'm going to tell her what Bessie said."
Hmmm...I wonder whether it is a telling point that Lois is thinking even passing about meeting Clark's "mum".

Looking forward to part eight.

cheers,
Lynn

#71571 05/09/10 03:33 AM
Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
Kathy

I totally get about moving a team and the loyalty to it. The Baltimore Colts got moved in the middle of the night and became the Indianapolis Colts. It is a sad day some people still talk about.
Yeah, Iolanthe gave me some links so I could read about that.

Thanks for your FDK. You're right about even older ladies recognising Clark's charm.

DW Thanks. How could an editor *not* like Lois?

Ann

I was thinking about that statement when I read Bessie Bellchambers' story. Why does she love footy so much? Because she shared so many wonderful moments with her father when the two of them watched their favorite team play, and because she lost her father so early, her memories became doubly precious. Now she has created a "family of her own" which is centered around footy:
Ann - you keep nailing exactly what I'm trying to say. To a non-footy fan, it's just a bunch of men chasing a ball. To a fan, it is so much more than that.

Your fic is lovely without being sappy. That's a hard thing to pull off.
Thanks. And thanks for the recipe too.

Lynn

That can't sit well with Lois.
Maybe, maybe not. There *is* scope, but within Browny's rules.

Two thoughts on this one: Corrina, have you a favourite recipe for them? They sound delicious. 2) Bessie's comment strikes me as more than a bit sexist.
1 - Ann linked to a recipe. You can cut the sponge blocks in half and spread with jam/jelly before covering them in chocolate if you want to.

2 - Bessie is in her 70s. In her world, the women do most of the cooking. She has already surmised that Clark has a great mother - and that includes cooking goodies for him.

I know you had already mentioned that footy is taken extremely seriously; but is this level of team loyalty typical, or would Bessie's level of loyalty be considered extreme to the point of fanaticism?
It was mostly a joke. I was thinking that Bessie was a bit ambivalent about the suitor and now uses footy as a humorous way of explaining why she never married. A person who would refuse to get involved *just* because of footy differences would be considered extreme. OTOH marrying a like-minded person means you don't have to fight over who the kids will barrack for!!

Thanks, Lynn.

Corrina.

#71572 05/09/10 04:28 AM
S
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
S
so, who do you barrack for?

#71573 05/09/10 08:47 AM
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Wow. Browny actually makes sense. And Lois understands. Never expected this twist shock

Now, the two things that still need resolving.

- Why did Browny stick her with Nanny duty in the first part? Certainly not just to emphasize her 'top-of-the-totempole' impression. I'm thinking because he knew the Yank needed to be taught footy (or more precisely, footy reporting) and Lois sure is the best teacher around.

- Is it going to eventually backfire if Lois doesn't know she's any good, or actually appreciated for her talent?

And the scene with Bessie was sweet. Gave Clark so much more insight smile

Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
#71574 05/09/10 06:05 PM
D
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
D
Ah, I really did love this chapter!

You've done such a great job with Bessie-- it was such a great way of showing how footy can mean so much to people. It's not just the game--it's the social aspect as well.

And I absolutely love Browny! laugh

#71575 05/10/10 03:07 AM
Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
Sarah

so, who do you barrack for?
Hawthorn, since 1972 - which I think makes this my 38th season. I did consider having Lois barrack for another team, but I doubt I could write it convincingly.

Michael

Why did Browny stick her with Nanny duty in the first part?
It could be, as you suggested, because Lois could introduce Clark to footy better than anyone. Or it could have been just that she wasn't out on a story at the time.

From a fic POV of course, it just wouldn't have been the same if Gazza had met Clark at the airport!!

- Is it going to eventually backfire if Lois doesn't know she's any good, or actually appreciated for her talent?
Yes and no. Sorry, I can't be any more specific than that. laugh

Thanks, Michael.

Deja Vu I'm glad you liked the part with Bessie. It's there for a reason which will become more apparent in later parts. Thanks for your FDK (and a great beta job, too!)

Corrina.

#71576 05/10/10 08:43 AM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Another great part.

Loved the way how Lois is trying to control her feelings for Clark.

I'm wondering what exactly was the nature of Lois' relationship with Dan....hmmm?

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard