Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
#62811 04/18/09 11:55 PM
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Oh so very true, Sue. But I guess that's always the problem with time travel. What's your point of reference? For instance, think what could happen if Wells got them together in college, before Lois got burned by Paul. They could already be together happily ever after.

Only there is one small issue there. What about the rest of the world. How many children will not be born because of the changes. Sure, they probably get replaced by different ones, But just the fact that Mayson stays alive can mean that one family won't find each other and Mayson will have the kids instead. And what about NK? Will it mean civil war and tons of deaths?

Which basically is the problem. You change the past, you change people's lives in the future. And the only consolation you have is your point of reference. LnC will still be there. Utopia can happen. But not everybody will come out ahead huh

Not that I'm saying 'don't snip the timeline', just saying, maybe the future shown in S3 and s4 was the twisted timeline that had to be rectified huh

So, part 10? Still waiting grovel

Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
#62812 04/19/09 08:20 AM
C
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
C
So it could kind of be like Frequency where everything just changes around him?

more later...

#62813 04/19/09 09:04 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
Very cool part, and I was right in thinking that somethings would be totally unexpected, like in the beginning, it was Clark with whom Wells was talking.

And the stopgap theory... cool!

I absolutely loved all your plot untwists, especially their apparent inability to procreate.. wow! mind boggling!

smile1

If she had to move heaven and Earth, perhaps come back to haunt Perry and explain the story after they'd killed her, she would do it.

Waking a Miracle by Aria
#62814 04/19/09 05:27 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Wow I didn't see that coming! I love it! What a crazy and wonderful theory! Laura

Clark: “If we can be born in an instant, and die in an instant, why can’t we fall in love in an instant?”

Caroline's "Stardust"
#62815 04/20/09 12:31 PM
Top Banana
Top Banana
I'm having a major OMG! moment. I just read the entire story and the audaciousness of it all leaves me speechless. I am still soaking it all in so I don’t have a feel for where it is going yet.

My read is that based on what Wells says, if he leaves things as they are, the universe will collapse. Personally, I see a split timeline.

1. Leave the Lois’s where they are any you have one kid of split.
2. Put them back and you have a different split.

Of course, you may put them back and the universe implodes anyway.

Finally, what if the switch makes everything worse instead of better? You might poof a perfectly good future just to have the alternate time line that overlays it be worse than the one you started with.

Time line meddling can be hazardous to your (and everyone else’s) health!

Bob

#62816 04/20/09 01:30 PM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
When the timelines split, will future Lois and Clark know that they are reliving things though, or will the future they know, vanish as well? (kind of like that memory zapper thing in Men in Black?)

Time travel stories are so fun, but I'm a curious person, and they often make my head hurt, cause I think of loads of questions that need answers... smile

#62817 04/20/09 03:11 PM
T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
Wouldn't it be nice if Flark (okay, 1998 Clark) wakes up in the morning, feeling disoriented and sad because he can't give Lois children. And suddenly the world seems to wink out just momentarily all around him, and then it comes back (you know, like a power outage where the power is restored almost immediately) and then Lois comes walking into their bedroom, holding their baby in her arms?

Ann

#62818 04/20/09 03:30 PM
C
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
C
So 10 is coming... when exactly?!

#62819 04/20/09 03:33 PM
Freelance Reporter
Freelance Reporter
Or maybe he will have a couple toddlers climb on the bed. smile1 I'm looking forward to seeing how this ends.

"We've been sitting here all night and the longest conversation you've had with a woman was when your mom called."
Leonard to Howard: The Big Bang Theory
#62820 04/21/09 07:54 AM
S
sjp Offline
Freelance Reporter
Freelance Reporter
S
Originally posted by carolm:
So 10 is coming... when exactly?!
Yeah when will 10 be here? smile1

#62821 04/21/09 04:55 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Ditto to pretty much everyone else! And this:

When your people placed you in that molecular disruptor, Mr. Kent, you were temporarily, uh, disrupted. Yes, the process was reversed, but not everything was entirely restored. Were you never to be disrupted, you and Ms. Lane would have been able to have children."
Is ridiculously original and gets the Really Freaking Interesting Award for tonight.

Great part,
JD

"Meg...who let you back in the house?" -Family Guy
#62822 04/22/09 04:59 AM
Kerth
Kerth
I confess, seeing this much FDK, while it is unbelievably exhilarating, also has me doing a little bit of this hyper

Lois: You know, I have a funny feeling that you didn't tell me your biggest secret.

Clark: Well, just to put your little mind at ease, Lois, you're right.
Ides of Metropolis
#62823 04/22/09 05:06 AM
C
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
C
Originally posted by Sue S.:

I need a chance to read the whole thing through, to make sure that part 10 still fits with the story as a whole, and then I'm going to send it to the FoLC who has been hinting (both subtly and not-so-subtly) for weeks that she'd read for me. So let's just blame Carol right now for any delays. wink
Hey, if you'd gotten it to me last night you'd have it back already! And if you get it to me today, you'll likely have it back within the hour. Tomorrow, however, I'm gone till 4 and can make no such promises...

And I specifically didn't hint last night though I could have!

Carol [who accepts *NO* blame]

#62824 04/25/09 06:21 PM
Top Banana
Top Banana
Sue, all I can say is that when you are finished with this story and it has stopped echoing in your head (or at least started echoing more quietly), you have *got* to come read Foreshadowing, etc. I won't put a spoiler here, but I will say that the similarities and the differences are almost creepy. We could have a two-woman comparative literature class with just these stories. eek

This *is* my happily ever after.
#62825 04/26/09 10:31 AM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Great Part Sue!
I'm still a bit confused about the time travel and the alteration of 1998 so I hope that the last part will be on soon so I don't have to wonder anymore laugh
I liked it that you saved Mayson because I liked her. peep

Kathryn
#62826 04/26/09 04:08 PM
BJ Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
I'm late for this feedback train, but since you haven't posted part 10 yet, I'll go ahead anyway.

I loved this part and wholeheartedly support Jen's "Really Freaking Interesting Award" for originality. Using the NK disruptor as a Utopia killer is quite brilliant. clap

Like others, it makes me want to slap Herbie upside the head, though. Let's see... go back in time and get some of the super-swimmers before the NK invasion so that future Lois can get pregnant...

OR...

Destroy the universe as we know it by changing the timeline and then ... ONLY THEN ... asking just one of the 7-8 billion people affected if that's okay.

:rolleyes:

Of course, I also have to ask this... If future Lois marries past Clark and gets immediately pregnant, then if Wells switches them back, future Lois and future Clark could also have a natural child together.

Of course, past Lois and past Clark would have to deal with the consequences, but hey, they've got time now that Lex is dead, right? Isn't that what Wells was trying to do?

When are we getting the last chapter?
wildguy

#62827 04/27/09 10:53 PM
T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
Ummmm... Sue?

[Linked Image]

Ann

#62828 04/27/09 11:18 PM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
To quote Ron from Kim Possible
Time travel, it's a cornucopia of disturbing concepts.

#62829 04/28/09 04:02 AM
Kerth
Kerth
Alas, I cannot blame Carol (who has nudged me consistently) for the delay. I have to plead that RL issues are sucking up my time, as well as my private meltdown that either the story was too complicated and/or too obvious/identical to other stories. blush

HappyGirl - I think you'd have to include at least three other authors if you're going to do a comparative reading. wink I stated at the outset in my author's notes that I got the idea for a switcheroo from RodStewFan and Kipp's "Switch" (an nfic) and Kipp's sequel "Not Again" (also nfic). Last summer when I was telling a group of FoLC's about the story I was working on, I was informed that zoomway wrote one as well (sorry, I don't know the title).

Kathryn - I've been reworking 10 to try and make it crystal clear what's going on. Hopefully you won't be confused after that.

Brenda! - You're right -- I've been dawdling all this time in the hopes that you'd come back. :p Seriously, I'm thrilled/relieved/delighted to find out that you're still reading. dance

Ann - Soon! I'm hoping to have time tonight. <fingers crossed>

dcarson - Very true - but it's the disturbing concepts that make it so fun. laugh

I apologize both for the delay and for attempting to write without a beta. I see now that what made perfect sense in my mind really should have been reviewed by a sentient being first. blush Mea culpa! grovel

Lois: You know, I have a funny feeling that you didn't tell me your biggest secret.

Clark: Well, just to put your little mind at ease, Lois, you're right.
Ides of Metropolis
#62830 04/28/09 05:01 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
No No Sue! Forget your doubts, the other similar stories and trust yourself. Just let it roll, babe!
Readers are intelligent enough to like similar stories and appreciate their differences. You're rethinking it too hard. Heck, we'll *all* beta for you!
cool
Artemis
p.s. I thought the explanation with the NK molecule disruptor was original and very cool (if sad for LnC)

History is easy once you've lived it. - Duncan MacLeod
Writing history is easy once you've lived it. - Artemis
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard