Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#62791 04/18/09 03:18 AM
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Okay, fine, so I might have accidentally refreshed the board in time to see "the motion carries" in the last FDK thread :p

Anyway, moving on. Are you serious about this, Sue? You're going to alter the future to get them together in the past? help shock wildguy wildguy wildguy wildguy wildguy

Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
#62792 04/18/09 03:52 AM
C
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
C
And then what's stopping you from posting 10, say now? Or later today at the very least?

I'm just... I don't even know what to say except - GET BACK HERE!
Carol

#62793 04/18/09 03:57 AM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Oy vey. I think my head hurts. I love time travel, but it's too early in the morning to process this. help

I'm pretty sure part 10 will be the only cure for my headache/confusion.

#62794 04/18/09 04:10 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
Ah, I get it! Very interesting concept. I'm liking this. smile

Oh, and I agree with Carol. There's nothing to stop you from posting part 10 right about... now.

"Hold on, my friends, to the Constitution and to the Republic for which it stands. Miracles do not cluster and what has happened once in 6,000 years, may not happen again. Hold on to the Constitution" - Daniel Webster
#62795 04/18/09 04:33 AM
C
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
C
Okay - I've been pondering it a bit and I won't pretend to claim that I might not have misunderstood something that Wells said...

But as I get it... When Lois goes back, Flois and Flark will just disappear? Get caught in the 'poof' as it were.

So is Clark going to say leave them where they are? Or does the universe implode if they do that? /me isn't quite sure

But that seems like the best plan maybe from Clark's POV [assuming there's no universe exploding] even if it means that he and Plois won't ever have kids - I think this Plois would be more okay with that than Flois because Flois had to grow into it and Plois hasn't yet and wouldn't the same way knowing that it wasn't possible - doesn't mean adoption wouldn't be an option but...

Anyway - that's if there's no universe implosions of course...

And yes, Flark, you most likely would have been sleeping with Plois in your arms if you hadn't taken off...

So, part 10, today right?
Carol

#62796 04/18/09 05:54 AM
A
Columnist
Columnist
A
No wonder you started that part by hiding behind a wall!

Apparently all it takes is a motion to get Sue to post (it worked last time anyway), so I move for part 10 now.

I'm not sure I entirely understand the intricacies of the time travel, but I'm waiting for the last part before I try to unravel it all in my head. So don't leave me in this cognitive uncertainty!

You are working on something else after this, right?!

Amber

#62797 04/18/09 06:38 AM
Blogger
Blogger
Originally posted by amberlea:

Apparently all it takes is a motion to get Sue to post (it worked last time anyway), so I move for part 10 now.
Seconded!

Truly evil, Sue. I love it. What a great idea. And hey, you could build on the universe you create, as it would be all new!

Love this story, as I love all of your stories. POST PART 10 SOON!!

Adele

#62798 04/18/09 07:39 AM
S
sjp Offline
Freelance Reporter
Freelance Reporter
S
Very smart! Definitely thinking outside the box!

Where's part 10? laugh

#62799 04/18/09 09:24 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
I go away from the fandom for a year and miss a Sue story. Gah!

*puts this on her list*

Totally reading this thing tonight when I get back home.

Angry Clark: CLARK SMASH!
Lois: Ork!
#62800 04/18/09 09:50 AM
T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
Ehhrrrmmm. Sue, do you know that I always hated Star Wars? And do you know why? It was because Darth Vader blew up Princess Leia's planet - her PLANET!!!!!!!! - and everybody, not least Leia herself, acted as if it was not that big a deal. After I had seen that movie, I walked out of the movie theater and looked around. What if someone had blown up my planet just so that they could have a bit of an adventure? I mean, imagine what would be gone. The Statue of Liberty - check. Yellowstone - check. The Grand Canyon - check. Hawaii - check. Ankor Wat - check. Slottsparken here in Malmö, which looks so absolutely lovely in spring - check. My favorite ice cream bar here in Malmö, and everybody else's favorite ice cream bar in whatever country they live in - check. All the puppies and kittens in the world - check. Little kiddies playing with kites like Charlie Brown and the boys in "The Kite Runner" - check. The blue sky and the blue seas and all the sailing boats sailing the seven seas and all the little fishies swimming in them, and the Great Barrier Reef - my goodness, when you start thinking of all that would be lost if your planet was lost, your head starts spinning, doesn't it?

And you, Sue, you are about to erase an entire timeline? Ummm. That means, if I get you correctly, that you are going to erase, wipe out, implode not only the Earth of that timeline, not just everything and everyone that exists on that Earth, but in fact the universe belonging to that timeline, too. Sue, I believe you are about to commit timeline-specific spacetime-cide, and I take exception to that, being an astronomy fan.

[Linked Image]

Don't kill the universe! razz

Ah well. I guess that all those people who loved Star Wars thought that the loss of Princess Leia's planet was worth it. And, I guess, what is the loss of one timeline-specific universe if the sacrificing of it leads to the creation in another universe of Utopia? Better to have one utopic universe than two mediocre ones, right? Particularly if the two are really one, so that the killing of one is naught but the killing of the potential of a mediocre universe to remain mediocre. In other words, the wiping-out a universe basically doesn't happen. Though I have to wonder... where do you get the energy to create the universe which you are wipe out down to the last molecule, electron, quark and string?

[Linked Image]

Ann

#62801 04/18/09 10:35 AM
T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
Wait! I just thought of something!

Wells was basically asking Flark's permission to destroy Flark, Fetropolis and Fearth. Either that, or else both timelines would be destroyed, so that there would be no Lois and Clark anywhere - make that anywhen.

Okay, but what about Lois? I mean, what about Plois? If she goes back and Flois stays, then there will be two Loises in one timeline, and catastrophe will ensue. (Surely two Loises is more than one universe can cope with.) But what if Plois goes back and Flois is sent back, too, or rather Flois is sent forward - only she is sent forward to nothing? Because her timeline imploded when Plois returned? So that Flois will implode herself when she goes forward?

Can Flark allow that?

Can any Clark say to H. G. Wells, Yes, by all means, fix the timeline so that Utopia can exist, and fix it by killing Lois if you must? Fix it by killing my wife?

No, Lois won't really be killed. Or at least, she will go on existing. Plois will go on existing. But Flois, the woman Flark has been married to for three years, will be killed. The woman Flark has held in his arms almost every night since their wedding, the woman whose heartbeat he has listened to, the woman whose hair he has buried his face in, the woman he has caressed...Can he just say to H.G. Wells, Yes, kill Lois by all means?

Can he?

Maybe he has to, if that is the only way for him to save any Lois. Still... doing so would be so not Clark.

Ann

#62802 04/18/09 11:26 AM
G
Freelance Reporter
Freelance Reporter
G
Wow. Brilliant. Time travel creates never ending circles. Love it!.
BUT Flark and Flois will not be killed - well, they will eventually be if they leave things as they are..
"It's true, we could leave things just as they are now, but eventually - and most likely quite soon - a ripple will be created that could destroy everything."
It is only the current version of the future that will obviously change when the Lois's are changed back
It was only this version of the future that ceased to exist - not him or Lois.
In fact the new altered future might be really good - I mean, Plark and Plois would have married a lot sooner, without a lot of the angst, and will have had children already - so the new future will have none of the horrid memories, including the one that they cannot have children.
Oh, BRING ON NUMBER 10 - I'm getting quite excited here. hyper hyper hyper

#62803 04/18/09 11:29 AM
G
Freelance Reporter
Freelance Reporter
G
ps. It is *really* weird writing Plark, Plois, Flark, Flois. LOL

#62804 04/18/09 12:24 PM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
ps. It is *really* weird writing Plark, Plois, Flark, Flois. LOL
I agree. I'm always confused as to what letter to capitalize after putting the p/f before each of their names. Perhaps we need a book of grammar standards for this story?

Back to the chapter. I read the chapter this morning, after I got up, and I was confused, so I thought, perhaps I was sleepy, and I would try again later this afternoon. However, after re-reading it again, several times, I think I'm still confused.

My understanding is exactly the same as Carol's. Lois can't go back to her time cause the universe will explode. Secondly, if Flark and Plois get together, things will be ok, but they won't be able to have children. I didn't get how Utopia will be maintained, however, without Superman descendants.

One more question, if things remain as is, will Flark and Flois still remember their futures as they've occurred to date? Or would the switch nullify the future as it had happened?

Sorry, for all the questions, I'm just wondering out loud I guess. Looking forward to the next part. If I'm still lost, though, could you post a dumbed-down version for me? wink I would have apparently failed grade 2 if I lived in China, based on my inability to pass the leap frog test (see the Off Topics folder). Go easy on me, won't you Sue?

grinch

#62805 04/18/09 02:08 PM
T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
Ehhrrrmmm. Sue, do you know that I always hated Star Wars? And do you know why? It was because Darth Vader blew up Princess Leia's planet - her PLANET!!!!!!!! - and everybody, not least Leia herself, acted as if it was not that big a deal.
Ann, I agree with you wholeheartedly. Leia's whole planet - nearly everyone she knew and loved, all the places around which she'd grown up - were gone forever, and she didn't even cry! That experience should have either pushed her into a catatonic state or enraged her beyond recovery. But everyone treated it like someone bulldozed a local park. "Oh, well, we have lots of other planets in the Republic. We'll just go on vacation somewhere else this year." I liked the movie overall, but I've always thought that was a problem Leia never dealt with.

They have to get past-Lois (I just can't type Pl - P - Plo - sorry!) in on this decision. I think Wells is wrong, that leaving things as they are (with Loises swapped out) would create a second timeline, not destroy everything. The worst it would do would be to overlay the current reality with the altered one. Of course, that presupposes that bringing Lois back to the past from a future which no longer exists won't do something hinky to the timeline.

Eww. I hate temporal mechanics.

And what is Wells doing? What is the arrogant little idiot thinking? If Utopia is dependent on Clark and Lois having kids and the only way to fix that is to kill Luthor way earlier, and he knows that there really is a Utopia, then isn't he fixing an altered timeline? Why couldn't he just whack Luthor himself? It's not that much different from deliberately setting the events in motion which would kill him.

And what will the time cops do to him when they find out what he's up to? What actions might they take to "fix" the timeline yet again? Are we going to see a quantum leap (sorry!) in the number of possible universes, all branching out from 1993?

I'm not sure that past-Clark would want to be married to past-Lois now. He's just proposed to future-Lois and she's accepted. Doesn't that cheapen their love for each other if he's playing with their hearts like it's a game of jacks?

Fascinating concept. Very well executed. Engaging story. Post the last chapter already!

Then I'm going to find Wells and punch him right in the mouth. Hard!

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing
#62806 04/18/09 04:32 PM
S
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
S
so i'm a bit confused. if things stay as they are right now, would kids just pop into Clark's life in 1998 or will there be 2 life-lines or whatever? i'm getting a headache....

#62807 04/18/09 07:29 PM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
oh that was quite the brain twister! Lovet this fic sooo much!

LOIS:I don't like you.
MAYSON: Really? Oh god, that is such a relief - I don't like you either.
LOIS: That makes me feel so much better
#62808 04/18/09 07:30 PM
Kerth
Kerth
OMG! OMG! OMG! sloppy sloppy sloppy

One of the scariest things about posting this part is that no one else had read it first. So, if this part was confusing, I apologize profusely. grovel

The key to understanding why Wells did what he did (aside from the fact that he's an interfering busybody) is to accept one important thing: the characters are not separate entities, but really are the same people. It's probably time to stop referring to them as Flark/Plark/Flois/Plois (which was only what my early beta, alcyone, called them to stave off confusion). Over the course of the story, while they might be in different times, they were never different/separate people. They are, and always were, simply Clark and Lois.

There's no way that the whole planet blows up! I never suggested that having Lois return to 1995 was going to annihilate anything but every stupid plot twist from the series that I, personally, have long despised with every fiber of my being. The only thing that changes if Lois returns to 1995 is that there is no clone arc, very little NK action and the possibility of children. True, the future that the older Clark currently inhabits changes, but it certainly doesn't utterly disappear. He still has a future, it just might be different.

Thank you so much for sticking with me to this point. I hope Wells' logic makes a little more sense now. He will elaborate a tiny bit more in the next part, but maybe I should change that to be more clear. blush

Lois: You know, I have a funny feeling that you didn't tell me your biggest secret.

Clark: Well, just to put your little mind at ease, Lois, you're right.
Ides of Metropolis
#62809 04/18/09 08:56 PM
T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
Ah, I get it, Sue! You are committing plot-twist-cide instead of timeline-specific universe-cide. That's reassuring, not least because your energy budget can be so much smaller when you are doing away with plot twists rather than creating a whole new universe, juggling two universes for a while and then destroying the universe that has gone plot-twist-bad!

(I guess I read this part the way I did because I've never gotten over a book I read at least twenty years ago where some scientists try to save a dying Earth by sending a message to the past, pleading with the people of the past to make certain changes in their behavior and decisions. The message reaches its intended addressees who wisely change their behaviour and save themselves, but this does not bring salvation to the poor future-fellas who sent the desperate message to the past. Instead the entire universe clones itself and branches into two, so that there are now two timelines where there used to be one, and indeed two universes where there used to be one. By sending that message into the past and having it received the scientists did not save their own timeline, but they did create a entirely new timeline with a fringe benefit extra universe in tow, where everyone belonging to that universe really was saved!!!) dizzy

[Linked Image]

Two universes for the price of one? Where do you get the energy to create a whole new extra universe? dizzy

I'm glad you are more energy conservative, Sue, so that you didn't create an extra universe just to be able to destroy the faulty one when you were done. But I, too, certainly look forward to a slightly made-over LnC universe where Lois didn't accept Lex's proposal! wallbash Where Clark didn't break up with Lois for her own good! wallbash Where Clark didn't choose Zara over Lois, however temporarily, just so that he could have his family jewels scrambled! wallbash Where Lois didn't get herself replaced by a clone just as Clark was marrying her! wallbash

Okay, looking forward to part 10! It's going to be interesting to see Plois and Plark - all right, 1995 Lois and 1995 Clark - meet again after they have gotten to know the 1998 versions of each other!

Ann

#62810 04/18/09 11:27 PM
Kerth
Kerth
I love this explanation. It works so well.

"There can be no Utopia without your children, that is, the natural children of you and Ms. Lane."

Clark flushed and looked away. "Then there isn't going to be a Utopia. We can't have children."

"Not in this future, no. But in the past, with Mr. Luthor dead, there is no one to stand in the way of you and Ms. Lane marrying. And, if you are married prior to the New Kryptonians arriving on this planet, well, they will not compel you to join them. In fact, they will abandon this planet and you as lost causes and move on. When your people placed you in that molecular disruptor, Mr. Kent, you were temporarily, uh, disrupted. Yes, the process was reversed, but not everything was entirely restored. Were you never to be disrupted, you and Ms. Lane would have been able to have children."
What a shock for Clark - to know that once, he and Lois could have had children. And now, they can ... in another time line.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard