Page 1 of 2 1 2
T
TOC Offline OP
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
It's always a pleasure to read a new chapter of My Wife The Boss. smile

I don't know if it's a good idea to go somewhat off topic right from the start - probably not - but I was thinking to myself just the other day how I'm often not too fond of next gen fics, but I love your portrait of the entire Kent family in MWTB. I love seeing Matt, in particular. I think that is because you so firmly make him a supporting character, not the star, of your fic. And as far as I can remember, we always see him through Lois or Clark's - mainly Clark's - eyes. I love that. Also his name is Matt, which is so 'un-LnC-like' that it firmly establishes Matt as his own person, not as a 'younger and better' Clark. So Matt is a supporting character that we watch through Lois or Clark's eyes, and the kid is really interesting in his own right without ever taking over the story. I love it! clap clap clap

Let's return to the chapter in question. It was interesting to see Clark deal with how limited his powers are. Even better was the interplay between Clark and Lois. And I love the fact that Clark is finding more and more evidence against Timmons.

A small nitpick here:

Lois needed no further encouragement as she pulled up her chair. “OK, what have you got so far?”

“I checked the DMV data-base, but I didn't find a match, not at first ... not until I checked their archive.” Clark retrieved a number of documents from the printer, which he handed to Lois. “Timmons let his license lapse. I have no idea why, but he did apply back in the late eighties, and that's not the only thing I discovered,” Clark said, with just the tiniest amount of smugness. “I found out he worked as a driver ...”
Personally I almost never have the time or the energy to go back and re-read old chapters of ongoing fics. To me the paragraph I quoted above was almost incomprehensible. The DMV database? Timmons worked as a driver? Reading on didn't help much, although I think that Timmons must have bombed Speedy Deliveries because he used to work there, and he was fired. But I don't remember that a delivery company was bombed, although I guess it was.

And I have one more nitpick, which is the same as before. I find it absolutely, totally shocking that the police aren't looking for Timmons, at least for questioning, after Clark has given them all that circumstantial evidence against him. Yes, I know that the police don't always take all the tips they get from the general public seriously. After all, I remember reading that the FBI or CIA got very serious tips that they didn't bother to investigate from their own agents and others about the men who eventually flew the airplanes into World Trade Center. And in Sweden, there was a horrible murder of a little girl, and an aquaintance of this man had contacted the police before the murder and warned the police, who did nothing. But in the case of World Trade Center, nothing serious had happened at the time when the FBI and the CIA got their warnings, and in Sweden, the man who would later murder the little girl was only known as a small-time sex offender. The police didn't take these tips seriously because nothing serious had happened so far. But in your fic, multiple horrible bombings have happened already. And the police still won't do anything about Timmons unless Clark can give them watertight proof against the man???? clap

Ann

P.S. I only skimmed the very beginning of the introduction and didn't see the part about your uncle. I'm sorry. frown

Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Ooooooooh another update clap

Okay, now LnC are both at the DP and Clark is basically powerless. Oh boy. But they are cute together. Although, isn't the boss demanding more or less intimate touches in the work place considered sexual harassment laugh

Ann, the SP-Truck got bombed right before or after Lois drove by it right at the start of the fic.

I'm sorry to hear about your uncle frown

Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
Columnist
Columnist
Jenni, This chapter was a real treat! Clark's flashes of his different powers is comforting to see him returning to what is normal for him.

His scenes with Matt in the last chapter were wonderful and seeing how pleased Lois was with his parenting skills was very touching.

Thanks for posting such a sweet chapter. Loved. loved the scenes with Lois and Clark at the Planet.

Nan Offline
Kerth
Kerth
Whew! In all the rush of stories popping up on the boards, I almost missed this.

Clark is hot on the trail, and it was good to see Lane and Kent together in action, if only for a short time.

I hope Clark's powers will continue to strengthen. As they are now, intermittent, it would be awfully frustrating for Clark. Anyway, Clark seems to be figuring out some things that I'm sure Thomas wouldn't like if he knew.

I suspect that the Daily Planet, or possibly Lois and Clark's home are somewhere on his agenda soon. Tell Clark to hurry up and figure this stuff out, will you? dizzy

nan

Earth is the insane asylum for the universe.
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Ditto, Michael, they are cute together. wink Great to see another part, Jenni!

JD

"Meg...who let you back in the house?" -Family Guy
C
CJ Offline
Blogger
Blogger
C
Still reading, and still enjoying. Just wanted to check in and let you know.

By the way, I don't know what happened to my registration but I have posted quite a number of times as CarolynK.

Peace, Carolyn

CJ
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Still reading as well.

I liked this chapter and the Lois and Clark interaction. I like that even after all these years of marriage, these two still can't keep their hands off of each other.

You've shown nicely how Clark is adapting to being a reporter again, and how he is coping without his superpowers.

I'd like to see a bit more interaction with Clark and his daughters. How is Sara coping with her new powers? How are they finding having a father again? It's important to realize that Lois was both mother and father to these three children for nearly four years. Is Clark having trouble disciplining them for example, because he's been away so long, or doesn't want them to hurt any further? Do the girls have any resentment towards their father for being away so long? Are the girls jealous with all the time Clark spends with Matt, and not them?

You've mentioned these things before, I'm sure, but with the focus on the bomb plot and Jor-El, I miss reading about the other members of the family, including Martha and Jonathan.

It's also so difficult to see Clark without superpowers. They are a part of him, and I feel that a part of him died when they went away. I hope he'll be super again by the time this fic ends.

T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
I'm still reading too, Jenni. And I remembered that the delivery truck was the first thing bombed. I also remember that the police and our favorite reporters thought at first that Lois had been the target, so that slowed down the investigation a bit.

Ann, even in the time when this story is set, the police already have all the chewing gum they can stuff in their mouths. They don't have time to follow the thin leads of reporters on cases that are officially closed, especially when the closure is due to political pressure. That's a very real-world scenario in the US. If it's not like that in Sweden, then you are blessed in that regard.

I agree with Grinch about more interaction between Clark and Sara and with Vicki. They need a daddy, too, not just Jor-El. I'm going to assume that we'll see such interaction very soon, and that it will be just as heart-rending as anything else we've seen.

I do have one little nit-pick for you, though. In this chapter, we started off in Clark's POV, and then when Lois entered the newsroom we slipped into her head for a few sentences, then back into Clark's head. That's disconcerting. You're an outstanding writer presenting a most engaging story, and such POV slips make the readers work a little harder than they need to.

Now, to soften the sting of my previous comment, I want to see more chapters more often! I always read these as soon as I see them, and I really enjoy the way Clark is adjusting to life as an almost-normal man. I like the occasional phantom twinges from his missing finger. They're very realistic. And his manner of dealing with people (like the priest and the alcoholic they interviewed) is totally in character for Clark. His concern for Matt is also in character, and his regret for not being there for his family is completely on target, even when he realizes that he can't be held responsible for being held captive for so long. There's a resolution coming up, and I'm getting the feeling that Clark and Lois will be right in the middle of an explosive climax, whether they want to be or not.

Keep them coming, Jenni! I hope this new year gives you plenty of free time, some of which you might apply to your writing. We can always use a good Jenni fic, and those are the only kinds you post, so let's hop to it!

Please?

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing
R
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
R
'Clark cupped Lois' face with his hand and ran his thumb softly over her cheek. “Don't say that, Lois. You have more insight in dealing with broken-hearted superheroes than you'll ever know, and, believe me, I'm speaking from experience here. There were times when I felt I couldn't go on, yet you always gave me the strength to go back out there.”'

Beautiful, absolutely beautiful. I love how you write Lois and Clark together

robinson
Columnist
Columnist
Hi,

I'd like to thank you all for your fdk and for your insightful comments.

Terry, I did let the change of POV slip by, and I can only suggest that it was because I was trying hard to finish this story by the end of the year.

Now I have not succeeded in that goal, I hope to take more time and care with the writing process.

Ann, I do confess that with a story that has taken so long to post and to write, I also have difficulty in remembering the details from the early chapters. I keep having to check back for continuity.

I'm sorry that some of you feel there hasn't been enough interaction between Clark and his daughters, but to tell the truth, this story has been more about Clark getting back to his job as a reporter and adjusting to his limited powers.

Perhaps I could write a sequel which would feature his daughters more ... but I have to finish this story first.

Thanks again for your comments,
Yours Jenni

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Jenni, I'm still reading it and I loved this part. It was heartwarming seeing Lois supporting and encouraging Clark. He's still so unsure of himself and frustrated about his wavering powers that Lois's reassurances are vital for him. He's always said that being together is stronger than him alone, and it's still very true. It's clear that Lois misses working with him, too. When he accepted her help she was ecstatic. They are good alone, but together they are the best. wink And I'm glad both are realizing it and getting over the early problems. smile1

Andreia

"My wife's love is what unites Krypton and Earth in my heart. Without it, without her, I truly would be in hell."

~ Superman: Man of Tomorrow #15
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
As you know Jenni, I love this story.

When I read your Lois and Clark, I SEE the Lois and Clark from the series with the expected evolution you have put them through.

I love the spark of Lois and Clark working together.

I find the police interesting. I actually think you would find that in real life it is rare for the police to listen to the newsmakers. I always get the impression there is a line there they don't cross .. whether it is because of pride, or stupidity....
so... I guess... I find the idea of the police only slowly wanting to acknowledge Clark a reflection of the real world.

I worry about where Tom is targeting next... You've alluded to something in one of the parts... so I'm worried....
I hope 'Lane and Kent' can stop him in time.

"He's my best friend, best of all best friends
Do you have a best friend too
It tickles in my tummy
He's so Yummy Yummy
Hey you should get a best friend too" - Toy Box
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Hi all

Jenni asked me to let everyone know she is currently very sick and unable to write or spend much time at the computer, so there will be delays in posting of the next part.

I know we're all disappointed, but her health must come first.

All the best,

Lisa

"He's my best friend, best of all best friends
Do you have a best friend too
It tickles in my tummy
He's so Yummy Yummy
Hey you should get a best friend too" - Toy Box
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Hi Jenni (by way of Lisa?)!

I hope you get better soon but take all the time you need.

Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
Nan Offline
Kerth
Kerth
How is Jenni? Does anyone know?

Nan

Columnist
Columnist
Hi everyone,

Nan, thank you for asking. I am feeling back to normal, at last. That flu really was bad, and it left me feeling very washed out. I couldn't find the energy to do much at all.

Then, just as I was starting to feel better, my laptop broke down on me -- the screen disappeared as I was writing a new part of my story!

Anyway, both the laptop and I have recovered, and hopefully I'll get back to writing more of MWTB.

Only I'm going away for a short break this weekend. I've had this respite break booked since before New Year. I might be a bit too busy to write, but I will take my laptop with me, just in case I find some free time.

I think I'll try to get quite a bit of my story written before I start posting again, as I don't want to find something else interrupts my muse and I have to apologize again.

I really am sorry for keeping you waiting so long for the end chapters of MWTB, but it just seems to have been one thing after another for me these last couple of months.

Hopefully, I'll do better in the future. smile

Yours Jenni

R
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
R
glad to hear you are feeling better

robinson
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Glad to hear you're feeling better! That's most important; we'll still be around when you get back to posting. smile

Take care,
JD

"Meg...who let you back in the house?" -Family Guy
Columnist
Columnist
Take care of yourself and we will still be here waiting for more.

Nan Offline
Kerth
Kerth
I'm glad to know you're feeling better, Jenni. I hadn't heard anything, and I was worried the flu might have hit you harder than we knew.

We'll be waiting for the next part of My Wife, the Boss whenever you are ready to post it.

Nan

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard