Print Thread
#58037 12/08/08 07:25 AM
L
Lieta Offline OP
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
L
*wince* ouch... poor Clark... that was probably the *worst* was for him to find out what was already a hard truth...

wonder what will happen with Lara now...

Sara "Lieta"
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Totally cool post. Love the Gotham reference.

Poor Lara. Yes, she and Jor did a horrendous thing. They abondoned their child and lied to him.

On the other hand, they tried to send him someplace were civilization was.

Imagine if he had landed in Africa and was found by a female gorilla...

James

“…with God everything is possible.” Matthew 19:26.

Also read Nan's Terran Underground!
A
Features Writer
Features Writer
A
Oh, this part made my heartbreak for Clark. I felt a little miffed that he seemed to be a bit self-absorbed and not realizing that his words might hurt Martha and Jonathan, but then I decided that we only saw his initial reaction and later he probably realized it.

It was a truly horrible way for him to find out the truth - or part of it. At least if he had heard it from Lara, she could have explained the reasons and he would have seen her guilt on her face which may have lessened the pain.

And Lara's dream was heartbreaking as well. The guilt she carries around over what happened to her son is so awful. I hope Clark and Lara meeting helps to ease both of their pain.

T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
Oh, Lara's dream reminded me of what things used to be like for women here in Europe a few centuries back:

"Premarital displays of affection," he spat venomously, "*sexual intercourse* , even having a child out of wedlock---"

The crowd stirred.

"Burn the tramp!"

"Kill her!"
Well, usually she wouldn't be killed *just* for having had sex out of wedlock. If she was unmarried and he was unmarried, she probably would not.

"Strip her and throw her out into the street!"
But, yes, this could happen. And she would get a thorough beating.

"Furthermore," the figure continued, sending her an icy glare, "This callous whore then broke the cardinal rules of motherhood, the very laws set by nature itself. She abandoned her own offspring!"
If an unmarried woman was found guilty of abandoning her out-of-wedlock child, she would indeed be executed. And before they executed her they would torture her and maim her. Admittedly though, they needed to find the baby's body first.

"Even the animal kingdom behaves better than this," the accuser roared, now addressing her, "and then, as if you were somehow above the retribution for your crimes, you chose to lie and live as an 'honorable woman'. You liar."
Yes, this would have been seen as aggravating circumstances. Not only had the woman sinned, but she had lied about it and pretended to be honourable. Instead of bravely confessing what she had done as soon as she had had illicit sex and meekly borne the punishment that her society would have inflicted on her, I mean!

Women who were found guilty of adultery were forced to wear a whore\'s red hat for the rest of their lives, so that people could not mistake these women for honorable persons! frown

And then Lara dreamed that she had a miscarriage, and she thought it was divine punishment - a woman like her did not deserve to have children! thumbsup

Ann

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Man, I can't imagine what it would be like to find out that Krypton and his people have been alive and kicking all this time...

eek
JD

"Meg...who let you back in the house?" -Family Guy
Freelance Reporter
Freelance Reporter
Poor Clark! Now he doesn't know what to think or feel. Lara is certainly feeling loads of guilt. I think she's going to have to answer some hard questions.

"We've been sitting here all night and the longest conversation you've had with a woman was when your mom called."
Leonard to Howard: The Big Bang Theory
L
Lieta Offline OP
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
L
Originally posted by Mister Data:
Imagine if he had landed in Africa and was found by a female gorilla...
*snort* Super-Tarzan?

Sara "Lieta"
T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
Tarzan the monkey-man
Swinging on a rubber band
Lost his pants and away he ran!
That's Tarzan the monkey-man.
sung atonally by children when dinosaurs ruled the earth
Wow. We know what Lara thinks of herself now, don't we? And I think she's going to have to talk to Clark and explain both why they sent him to Earth and why she has come to meet him before she can find a measure of peace. I'll bet Martha will have some hand in that.

Poor Clark. It's not so much that his birth was outside wedlock, I think, but because what he has believed about his bio parents and his entire people for years was a deliberate lie. This is bigger than him not telling Lois about Superman. This is bigger than the "Cheese of the Month Club" kind of thing. This is bigger than - well, anything I can come up with right now.

But he'll bounce back. He'll eventually work himself to the point of listening to Lara and her explanations ("It seemed like a good idea at the time! No kidding, it did!"), and then he'll process her reasoning and realize that, while he probably wouldn't have made the same choices she and Jor-El did, he can at least understand and accept their reasoning. And I wonder how Clark and Lois will feel about Kryptonian society and culture after this little episode. I doubt he'll want to go "back home" for a visit after this is done.

But Lara needs to find a "Jack and Jill" reader. She can't keep asking Bernie questions like "What does this word mean? Is hydrochloric acid suitable for human consumption?" And when she picks up a hot beaker without reacting or being burned, Bernie's going to put two and two together and get the square root of negative three. But at least he'll know she's not from Kansas.

Intriguing story. I plan to keep reading, so please keep posting! You wouldn't let me get depressed, would you?

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Online Content
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
clap Mary

The world slowly began to blur. "I'm a bastard."
laugh

Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Originally posted by Darth Michael:

But you know what the eeriest thing is? Before now, you have done all these comedic pieces and it's really hard to shake this anticipation. And the funny bits still slip through, making my lips twitch even when my heart should be breaking.

Michael
Thank you! sloppy

~•~

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard