Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
Well, you know I've read the Bible, so let me quote the Bible now!

For we know in part and we prophesy in part, but when perfection comes, the imperfect disappears. When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put childish ways behind me. Now we see but a poor reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known.

And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.
This is from 1 Corinthians 13, and Paul the apostle is talking about how faith, hope and love are the three things that let a person into the Kingdom of Heaven. He also praises love as the greatest of these three 'keys to Heaven'. But let's imagine that Paul was talking about love between a man and a woman here on Earth. Note the significance that this statement takes on:

When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put childish ways behind me.
Well, Clark is still being childish, isn't he? He hasn't been able to give up his Lana fantasy - and it is a fantasy. How often does a boy end up happily married ever after to the girl he fell in love with when he was six? I'm not saying that it has never happened, but it must be a rare occurrence indeed.

Now let's look at this:

For we know in part and we prophesy in part,
Clark, you keep prophesying to yourself and to Lois too about how you will leave her in five years. Well, you only know in part, Buster.

but when perfection comes, the imperfect disappears
Well, here is where Clark remains stubbornly knowledge- and sight-challenged. Perfection, at least the kind of perfection that comes along on this Earth, has already come to him in the shape of Lois. But he desperately hangs on to the dream of the imperfect, Lana.

Now we see but a poor reflection as in a mirror
That is what Clark does! He is seeing Lois and Lana as if he saw their reflections in a fun house mirror:

[img]http://farm1.static.flickr.com/54/158272298_a6c67ce636.jpg?v=0[/img]

The distorting mirror makes Lana look perfect, but Lois comes out looking wrong, precisely because she isn't Lana.

then we shall see face to face.
Clark is unable to really see when he is looking at Lois and Lana face to face. He can only see their funhouse reflections.

Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known.
But one part of Clark already knows in full, and that is his heart. But Clark won't listen to his heart.

Listen to your heart

Clark is a very strong-willed young man, very principled. His mind keeps insisting that he is in love with Lana, and he keeps wallowing because he believes it. But sometimes his mind is stilled, and his heart can see clearly. And that is when he loves Lois so much.

Apparently, she'd decided that this was the night to do the whole 'we're married' pajama thing. In that second, I noted that she was wearing a black satin gown that fell to nearly the floor and that she had a matching robe wrapped around her. She was reaching for her bathrobe and she put that on as well. She was probably as uncomfortable with it as I was, but it was necessary.

Was it possible that she was expecting some reaction? After all I'd told her that it was possible that we'd... I made myself think it. Make love someday.
Clark's mind is unimpressed with Lois's 'married pajamas'. But his heart is not.

I headed towards the bathroom to get ready for bed.
The young husband, so in love with his wife, has just seen her in a stunning new nightie. He goes to the bathroom to take a shower. And then we know what must follow next.

It made sense they would think that Lois and I would have our own... celebration later, an... initiation of sorts for our new room.
Clark even knows that others expect thim to make love to Lois on this particular night.

Lana.

I hadn't let myself think about her like that in a long time, but a sudden vision of her in front of a fireplace came to me. She wasn't wearing anything then as I looked down at her. I closed my eyes and tried to will the image away. When I opened them again, instead of Lana in front of the fire, it was Lois lying there with me.
Clark has thought of Lana, imagining her before a fireplace, all naked. And then he opens his eyes and sees Lois.

But something happens inside him when he is longing for Lana and looking at Lois. His mind doesn't know that it is Lois he really longs for, but his heart knows it.

And as for what almost happened at the end of part 57, I feel you just gave us a glimpse of what really happened that night in the cabin, Carol. Clark's heart saw Lois lying naked next to him after having saved his life. His heart overflowed not only with gratitude, but also with love and with a soft, gentle, but growing desire. And he kissed her sweetly, unaware of what he was really doing, just as he was unaware of what he was really doing now in part 57, even though he wasn't suffering from hypothermia. And then as now, Lois's love for Clark made her respond to him.

Please make the lunkhead see face to face soon and know fully!

Ann

F
Kerth
Kerth
F
Delightful end point. The end of this section hit me much the same way the second part of Crimson did, sucker punch.

Protest all you want it is clear this is the Clark Kent of the Smallville mythos.

Originally posted by TOC:
Well, you know I've read the Bible, so let me quote the Bible now!
If you are going to quote scripture than I think it fair to do it back.

“The heart is more treacherous than anything else and is desperate. Who can know it?" Jeremiah 17:9

This Clark is fixated on loving Lana and protecting Lois and as a result is screwing up both. He is clearly limping upon two opinions.

“How long will YOU be limping upon two different opinions?" (1 Kings 18:21)

Regardless of what he might feel for Lois he is going to beat himself up about Lana and anything that happens to her.

So what bad thing is going to happen next?

Oh and I take back any bits about Clark finding out the baby is his. Now I think it would be better if he finds out when the kid begins to develop powers.

Knowing it is Clark's child would only add one more barrier at this point. Besides there is no way he can dig himself out of the hole he's dug in less than a decade.

Framework4
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I think I had a dream that the baby was his...my mind is working way too overtime with finals...

Knowing it is Clark's child would only add one more barrier at this point. Besides there is no way he can dig himself out of the hole he's dug in less than a decade.
I agree. I think he'll be grey–haired before he can make amends, BUT, he might stop being a loser and be more interested in the baby and Lois' health if he had a genetic tie to it...

JD

"Meg...who let you back in the house?" -Family Guy
E
Merriwether
Merriwether
E
I have to take you to task on this one. There are some things in this part that don't match the character of the Clark that you have formed for us. I'm not saying that he doesn't match the Clark of canon; I'm saying that he isn't acting like the Clark you have portrayed for us.

So far your Clark has never lied. He might have omited things, but he has carefully never told lies, even though it makes him sound smart alecky.

While I understand that people act differently sometimes when they're depressed, normally they don't exchange one set of values for another. Your Clark values honesty more than canonical Clark. I can't see canonical Clark as telling a lie without at least crossing his fingers and being swamped with guilt. I find your Clark telling a lie as being even more out of character. Not only do you have Clark lieing about the birthday present, but you also don't have him feeling anything but mild embarassment about it. I don't buy it.

Elisabeth
PS You know that I only cricize stories that I like. If I don't like it I just quietly quit reading. However, I think this one has enormous potential.

Columnist
Columnist
Hi Carol,

I'm sorry, but I've lost all patience with Clark.

He's not just acting like a teenager, he's acting like a sulky five-year old. He really is blaming Lois for all his problems, yet, as I said before, she didn't ask him to marry her.

Not only is he spiteful in not buying her a birthday present, he commits the cardinal sin of insulting her by attempting to make love to her and then calling her Lana! The fact that he's asleep doesn't excuse him, in my opinion, because his subconscious is only acting out what his conscious mind is brooding over.

He has to get over himself soon and start acting like a responsible teenager, if he can't be an adult.

Of course, what I'd really like to see in the next part is that the whole episode was Lois' dream and Clark really didn't act like a total lunkhead ... actually, in this case, lunkhead doesn't quite cover his behaviour.

As you see, Carol, you've really got me involved with this story, but I hope that fairly soon, I'll be cheering for Clark and not wanting to shake some sense into him.

Yours Jenni

Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Okay, the whole kicking theme got me going...

/jumps up and down

May I kick Clark, too? Please? Pwetty Pwease? jump
[Linked Image]

Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
C
carolm Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
C
Okay - I just posted the next two and then remembered I hadn't fully responded here smile .

Robinson - um they're posted now wink .

Karen - Yep. Ouch...

Sarah - so sorry. No, not trying to kill you... wink

Andreia - Sleep kisser /giggle/ Yes it is Saturday. /whistles innocently/

Ann - How do you really feel? wink Found the I Cor. 13 stuff interesting too [think it's the first time I've Bible quotes in a FDK thread...]. Clark will grow up. I promise.

Michael - love the shoes... And I'm not Missy. Though I did talk to her for like 45m yesterday...

JD - Clark is being a loser and he does realize that - but, as my pastor says, 'in order for change to happen, the pain of staying the same has to exceed the pain of change'. Often, change hurts. Often, staying the same hurts. If staying the same hurts more than changing, then change happens. Clark's not there yet frown . Though I think Michael [and Alisha really wink ] might find some Kryptonite that would make the changing seem real appealing... [from farther down] I've had fic dreams before. I think ML's last one caused several...

Grinch - As for why... some of it's coming up in what I just posted.

Natascha - Have fun on your vacation! But you're already gone! Hope you're enjoying your present [that's really for all of you so you know that she got a bit of a preview since she's OOT and she probably won't read this since it'll be on like page 3 by the time she gets back... /runs for cover/]

James - I love you, too.

sjp - aww... sorry... not really...

FYI for the rest of you, Alisha has threatened Clark with Kryptonite repeatedly too...

Sara - no there was no conscious maliciousness there. He didn't realize what he said. I think he made a conscious choice to kiss her etc, but he didn't realize what he said. We've all done that, I think, when the wrong word or name or something slipped out [heck, I call my kids the wrong name 2/3 of the time, I think] but that was an especially bad time for that to happen...

Lara - /hands her a bandaid/

Sonia - See what I said above about the change thing. /whistles about the nanny thing/

AnKS - /just whistles and then moves on/ See you when you get back!

Amy - nope, not a dream, and you're probably right about Clark.

Lisamaree - No, I don't think so. I think Clark's just feeling rejected by Lana [who is, very understandably, rejecting him] and annoyed at life in general and being petty - 'the 'real' marriage thing doesn't extend to birthday gifts since she didn't get me one' kind of thing. Mindy will be back eventually.

Patrick - Um, I've seen like 3 eps of Smallville... maybe. As for the paternity revelation... that'll be a while, either way. Decade? May be long enough...

Elisabeth - yes, I know that. I hope I addressed that in the next section. I think he felt a bit on the spot and am not sure what he could have said - maybe that it 'wasn't in yet' or something [without mentioning, of course, that 'it' wasn't ordered yet...] I don't think he felt he could say he didn't get her anything and the first thing that popped into his head was that he'd left it in their room to give to her later... If you see another work around there, please let me know.

Jenni - /waves/ He will grow up and start being [at least somewhat] responsible before too long. Promise. You do know you have to hit him over the head pretty hard [with that bat of Michael's] to get any sense into him, right? Waiting [semi?] patiently [?] for more of 'My Wife'.

/points to boards/ There's more for you...
Carol

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally posted by carolm:
And I'm not Missy. Though I did talk to her for like 45m yesterday...
Make you a deal: You stop doing those nasty cliffhanger-bits (as in: posting the whole thing continuously) and you get back to being Queen of Evil blush wink

Michael, who gently points out that torturing your prisoners isn't appropriate at all. spider

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard