Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#54540 08/09/08 05:08 PM
cp33 Offline OP
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
I have been looking at the boards and I am trying to decide what makes folks read a story. Is it the reputation of the author?

As the board morphs with newer authors and many of the established authors moving onto other fandoms I am just curious.

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Several things take place to read a story, for me.

1. The author. If I trust the author, like Nan, I read the story without reservation. Some authors have burned me enough that I will not read their stories with a strong recommendation by someone else. Other's, I'll PM them and ask if there will be things I don't want to read about. If they say no, then I'll read.

2. Catchy titles help.

3. Mind numbing boredom when the muse is out playing tennis and I can't write.

“…with God everything is possible.” Matthew 19:26.

Also read Nan's Terran Underground!
Columnist
Columnist
First and foremost 99.99999% of the time I do not read a story until it is finished. If the author indicates it is going to be a series then sometimes I don't read anything until the series of stories is finished. Although I greatly appreciate all the effort that goes into writing (and as a beta reader believe me I know) I don't have the time to waste on a story or series that is never going to be finished. So what makes me read a story:

1. THAT IS IT FINISHED. (Considering I have almost 40 stories sitting on my hard drive waiting for the author to finish - not posted to in months or years - you can see why this is my number one requirement.)
2. The author - having previously read their work and enjoyed it will make that author's new story jump to the front of the list.
3. That it captures my attention. If it doesn't grab my attention I tend to start skim reading until something in the story does grab my attention.

Again I applaud all the authors and beta readers. clap

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
1. It's the free time thing, for one. I'm pretty sure ML was 25 parts into her latest story before I even jumped on the train.

2. Catchy titles

3. Catchy opening lines

4. Previous authors do help. If I'm used to someone's style it's a lot easier for me to get into a story, but I try and give everyone a read. I wish I had time for more feedback, but well, I have to go to work and school to keep my apartment, I have to keep my apartment to steal Josh and TJ's internet... goofy

JD

"Meg...who let you back in the house?" -Family Guy
F
Kerth
Kerth
F
I read part one of anything that posted. If it is half way interesting I'll read part two. I'll keep reading till it is pap or boring or very out of character.

Framework4
Features Writer
Features Writer
1. writing style- the opening lines are a huge, huge draw for me, especially if I see something interesting, be it in content or style.

2. author reputation- there are some people that will catch my attention. smile

alcyone

One loses so many laughs by not laughing at oneself - Sara Jeannette Duncan
http://languagelog.ldc.upenn.edu/myl/llog/duty_calls.png
T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
Like Patrick, I generally read part one of anything. However, nowadays I don't read fics where I know that the focus is not on Lois and Clark. It is particularly important to me that Lois is at the center of the story, along with Clark. I don't read Lois deathfics, as many of you probably know. Similarly, I don't read Clark-moves-on fics. (What about Lois-moves-on fics? There basically aren't any. All right, there is one on the Archive, where Lois moved on after Clark had gone to Krypton and not sent her any messages for eighteen years.)

I keep on reading if I get sufficiently interested in the first part. I get interested if the writing is humorous, which I have come to appreciate more and more, or if there is a sense of mystery coupled with a feeling that Lois and Clark can probably solve the mystery and overcome the difficulties together. I love the feeling of sensuality in a fic. I like different takes of Lois and Clark, which still let me feel that the two characters are basically the same, though put in new situations. Elseworld fics can be extremely intriguing. Generally I want a positive feeling from the story, a feeling of hopefulness and love. Nowadays, I'm ashamed to admit, I appreciate it if the stories are not too long. Well-known authors can be a plus, but since I generally give most fics at least one chance, I'll read any author who hooks me with the first part of a fic.

Ann

Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Online Content
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Right now I read most fics. If time becomes an issue, I prioritize and go for the series continuation and the next blockbuster by a well-established author first.

Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
Top Banana
Top Banana
I pretty much read at least a bit of everything that I see posted. That's probably a factor of my newness to all this. Once I get a feel for where the story is going I may or may not continue. I am a sucker for WAFFy stories and have a low-threshold angst-o-meter. When the conflict gets intense I often have to step back and catch my breath, but if I am confident that the story will head for a harmonious resolution, I always come back.

Now, all that said I do look carefully at the author and the theme. Aside from what is posted here, I am in the process of attempting to read every Kerth nominated story ever over at the archive site (I still have a LONG way to go). That has given me some exposure the authors and writing styles and I use that as a guide.

Finally, I simply don't like unhappy and/or inharmonious endings. I am here because I love the dynamics of the Lois and Clark relationship. If that gets busted in a way that will not be fixed in the story, then I am not interested and I will bail on a story even if it had been entertaining.

Bob

C
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
C
Ann- what about Ad Astra Per Aspera by Becky Bain?

Or is that the one you're talking about? Don't think so but...

More later but that caught my attention.

Carol

T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
Actually, yes, Carol. Ad Astra Per Aspera is the Lois-moves-on fic I was talking about. It should perhaps be noted that Becky Bain's fic is a Clark-moves-on story, too.

Ann

C
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
C
You are right of course. I tried to find a way without spoiling too much but it's not coming to me wink . It focuses much more on Lois IMO which was why it was the first one that sprang to mind when I read that.

Off to feed kiddos smile .

Carol [who is at home for the night!!]

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard