Print Thread
T
TOC Offline OP
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
Ann - go with the whole traditional wedding thing
I understand what you mean, Carol, but traditions differ. In Sweden, and, I think, in most of northern Europe, it has been traditional for the bride and the groom to walk down the aisle together. I like that tradition. It puts the bride and the groom on an equal footing and underscores that their marriage is something they undertake together, on equal terms.

Here is a picture of a young couple, walking down the aisle together. I think that the picture is from Great Britain:

[Linked Image]

There is of course another tradition, where the father of the bride walks his daughter to the altar...

[Linked Image]

...and hands her over to the groom.

[Linked Image]

All I can say is that I like the other tradition better, although I certainly understand that Jimmy and Lucy would like to get married according to the tradition which is most popular in their own country and culture.

I very much liked how Lois and Clark talked about how far they had come in a year, on the "anniversary" of the horrible near-rape of Lois. I agree that the attack on her really brought Lois and Clark much closer, and it provided them with the financial means to start a new life for themselves. I really liked that both Clark and Lois talked about how they had felt about their marriage and each other a year ago. It's so good to see how their honesty and trust gives their marriage an ever more solid foundation.

The whole "Clark-asking-Lois-for-a-date" was funny and touching. They were both nervous, and they were play-acting, as if they were putting on a performance for each other. But they hadn't rehearsed the performance first, and they had to come up with the script as they went along.

Lucy and Jimmy's marriage was sweet, but since I'm such a diehard Lois and Clark addict, and take an interest in the other characters only as much as they have an impact on Lois and Clark's lives, I'm going to let others comment on that.

I loved how you built the nervous tension as Lois prepared for her date with Clark! clap

Looking forward to seeing how Lois and Clark's date turns out!

Ann

C
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
C
Ann - I wasn't aware of that tradition. I kind of like it, but I've never heard of it around here.

Lara Joelle Kent emailed and I gave her clarification...

Those are the three KINDS of things I'm including in LtL Lucy's Story - not just one or another - but most [all?] things fall into one of those categories.

Thanks.
Carol

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Wow, boards are really dead...

Loved this part. Got me weepy a couple of times.

Loved that last bit. "Knock. Check."

James

“…with God everything is possible.” Matthew 19:26.

Also read Nan's Terran Underground!
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Loved this part, Carol. The coupon was clap and your ideas for the follow-up stories sound great.

Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Finally their date!!! Woohoo!!! smile1

Andreia

"My wife's love is what unites Krypton and Earth in my heart. Without it, without her, I truly would be in hell."

~ Superman: Man of Tomorrow #15
Columnist
Columnist
Wonderful Carol! I like that Lois is really beginning to regret some of things she missed.

I love that Clark gave Lucy away, he was much more of a father figure to her than Sam Lane was, it was fitting.

Lois gave him the coupon! Hurry back with their date.

Top Banana
Top Banana
Okay, Carol, I have been reading but not commenting. I know how much comments help a writer to be productive but the semester is about to end and school has been sooo demanding. So I apologize. Anyway, I just must comment on how wonderful this part is.
"I love you, Lois. I love you on so many different levels. I love you as my work partner. Your writing makes mine better; it always has. I love you as my best friend. The one person I can tell anything and everything. I love you as my wife, my soul mate. The woman who will spend the rest of my life with me. I love you as the woman who will – someday – be my first and only lover and the mother of my children. The part where we'll make love is only a part of why I love you and what I love – or will love – about our lives together." He kissed her hair. "Think about a year ago tonight. Think about it honestly. How did you feel about me a year ago?"

One tear followed another down her face to his chest. "I think part of me hated you. Maybe not hated, but wanted to hate you; thought I hated you. You were having sex with another woman – and even though we weren't, you'd promised me so many times that you wouldn't cheat on me. I knew that I was weeks away from you leaving me – either for Mayson or someone else or no one. I couldn’t believe that you'd really love me at all, much less enough to stay long enough to let me work through my issues. And..." She stopped, unable to go on.

"What, honey?"

"You're going to hate this," she warned.

"It's okay."

"Part of me wondered if you wouldn't... not force exactly, but guilt me into sex. The whole 'I've worked my tail off for over three years to get us through college and take care of your sister – you owe me' or 'if you don't want me to leave, you'll have sex with me' type thing."
Wow! There was a lot of emotions packed into these few lines. I am so lad that Lois and Clark had this little talk and are *really* talking to each other now. This had gotten them so much closer, as they said, than a year ago. I love that they were honest about their feelings, good and bad, but I especially love how Clark told Lois how he loves her at different levels. He was so sensual. I almost got tears in my eyes just visualizing Dean pouring his heart out to Teri (on the series).
Clark didn't say anything for several minutes. "It's hard to explain," he finally said. "I loved you, but different than how I love you now. It was a feeling, which is good. But love is more than that. To a certain extent, love is a choice. I chose to be there with you every night, every day, even though I felt you pulling farther and farther away from me all the time. It would have been easy for me to just sort of bail like you thought I was going to, but I also knew that wasn't what I wanted. I was afraid that you were going to do that and I was trying plan how I'd win you back if you did. I was counting the money I'd saved in my head and how best to spend it to get the most bang for my buck; to impress you the most, if I thought that was what it was going to take to get you to stay. I hated the distance between us and couldn't wait to graduate so that we could finally spend time together and maybe I could figure out what it was that kept us from committing more fully to each other. Maybe get you to open up to me about your past, your family. I had *no* idea how you felt and I knew that, but I didn't know just how little I knew."
Clark would have tried to win Lois back. Just wow! This should speak volumes to Lois about how much Clark loves her...is in love with her.
"I don't know," he said honestly. "I don't think we would have left Metropolis together. We wouldn't have the money we do. Though that's small compensation for what happened, it's true. A week or so before graduation, I would have asked you out for a date the day after graduation. What would you have said?"

"I don't know. I think I would have said yes, but still questioned your motives – if it was just a ploy to get me to have sex with you or if your motives were more altruistic than that."

Clark chuckled. "Well, I won't lie and say that I didn't hope it would lead to making love with you someday, but I certainly didn't expect it to for a while. I didn't really have a timeline in mind or anything, but I figured it would be at least a couple months, if not longer and I was okay with that. I just wanted a chance to romance you, no matter how long it took for us to get to that point."
Funny how Clark can take Lois's fears about his motives and turn them into his attraction for her, yet giving her honest answers.
"Hey, what did I miss?"

"Not much." She looked at him thoughtfully. "A cute guy asked me out."

He smiled back. "I hope you said yes."

"I did."

"Good. You'll have to tell me how it goes."

"I'm sure you'll know all about it."

"I'm sure I will."
This whole date thing was so sweet. I love how they had to be impromptu, as if they had just really met. I think this way the pressure was less for both of them. It was so sweet how nervous they both were.
Lucy and Jimmy headed for the balcony as Clark turned back to Lois. "I hear you have a date tonight," he said with a smile.

She nodded. "He's supposed to pick me up at seven at Perry and Alice's."

"Well, I won't see you before then, so I hope you have a good time."

She smiled softly at him. "I plan on it."
Just so sweet...so emotional...such progress. As usual, I am in awe at how well you have laid this story out. I am anxious for more. When they do make love it will be magical, with or without first time awkwardness.

Ann wrote:
Lucy and Jimmy's marriage was sweet, but since I'm such a diehard Lois and Clark addict, and take an interest in the other characters only as much as they have an impact on Lois and Clark's lives, I'm going to let others comment on that.
Ditto!

Absolutely fabulous!
~Sheila

I'm a firm believer in the fact that God doesn't put any more on us than we can bear. He does however make us come to Jesus every so often.
Columnist
Columnist
First to TOC. The first picture appears to be the bride and groom leaving the church after the wedding. If you look most people are facing in the opposite direction of the couple and a clergyman of some sort is at the top left. Also if they were coming in you should be able to see the doors which you can't. It may be a tradition where you live for the bride and groom to come in together but not here in the States. So Carol was right on with tradition.

Now to Carolm. Loved this section. You describe an American wedding perfectly. I also agree that it was fitting to have Clark give Lucy away. Yes he has been more of a father than Sam. I also thought it was cute to also have him be Jimmy's best man.

Oh and I could go on and on about the presentation of the coupon, the actual asking out etc. I'm happy that Lois is starting to realize that they've both missed out on a lot of things.

Awaiting the next section with great anticpation. hyper

T
TOC Offline OP
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
First to TOC. The first picture appears to be the bride and groom leaving the church after the wedding.
I agree. However, this picture was the only one I could find of a young man walking beside the bride down the aisle. I assure you, it has been traditional in northern Europe for the bride and groom to walk down the aisle together on their way to the altar. But I realize that traditions in the United States have been different.

Ann

C
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
C
No real time to respond properly at the moment. Kids and all... But thanks everyone! Chapter 41 coming soon...

Carol

Nan Offline
Kerth
Kerth
I haven't had much time for comments this week, Carol but I liked this part. I do think Lois should get a little help. Trying to cope with trauma like hers by herself could leave her emotionally crippled for years, and while I'm sure Clark would hang in there, it wouldn't be fair to him or to her.

Nan

Earth is the insane asylum for the universe.
E
Merriwether
Merriwether
E
I enjoyed the wedding of Jimmy and Lucy. They have patiently wooed each other for so long; it's nice to see the culmination of that.

As for the wedding ceremony, while it may be tradition for the bride and groom to walk together elsewhere I love the way we do it here. Everyone gets to see the first moment where the groom sees his bride. It's a lovely moment that is memorable in many ways. Also it is fitting that the parents are involved in the wedding ceremony. Lucy and Jimmy were unable to have a traditional unity candle, but it is a strong picture in the wedding demonstrating the legacy of faithfulness passed along from generation to generation. Faithfulness is beautiful. Also James and I have made a promise to our girls: we will give you everything you need while you are in our home and teach you everything you need for after you are in our home. That moment in the wedding is a commissioning of sorts, as we give them over to their adult lives. Husbands and wives are to leave their parents and cleave to each other. If you don't mind the pun, cleavage is beautiful as well.

Elisabeth

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard