Print Thread
#53181 06/19/08 11:10 PM
T
TOC Offline OP
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
Thanks to Ann (TOC) for the inspiration for this piece.
Wow, Terry! I have no idea what I may have said to inspire this piece, but I'm flattered nonetheless!

Well, I enjoyed the dialogue between Lois and Clark. You are, as always, a master at writing dialogue. I giggled at this:

Of course, Clark wouldn't need to defragment his hard drive or back up his files. Those were daily tasks for him.

The anal-retentive lunkhead.
Hmmm, funny - but even so, Lois, you might consider washing your mouth - eh, your inner musing brain center - with soap....

“So, you want to make this interesting?”

She stopped and threw a glare over her shoulder at him. “It will only be interesting if you can refrain from playing a heroic brand of golf.”
A heroic brand of golf!!! Tiger Woods, watch out!!! rotflol

“Look. The ball must have kicked into this old rabbit hole. See, you can just make it out, about two feet down.”

She stood. “Well, then, now you'll have to take a drop. There's no way you can hit that ball. It's what the rule book calls an "unplayable lie'.”

He laughed. “That's ridiculous, Lois. There's no such thing as an unplayable lie for Superman.”
Well, wow! Now I know what an 'unplayable lie" means in golf terms. Though I'll bet you have another interpretation of the term up your sleeve, Terry.

Looking forward to the next part!

Ann

[Admin: Just adding part no to header of post.]

Pulitzer
Online Content
Pulitzer
Wow, what an interesting scenery, Terry.

Before I read the story and knew it was about golf, I thought that *lie* meant not telling the truth. I was obviously wrong.

Though I wonder if for Clark to claim he was using no superpowers wouldn't be something like a lie in that sense of the word.

Anyway, I'm curiously waiting for the next part and Lois reaction to Clark's use of superpowers - or whatever.

Great writing!

It's never too dark to be cool. cool
Columnist
Columnist
I liked this description of Lois' feelings
She wasn’t sure she wanted to see Superman at the moment. She wasn’t sure she wanted to see Clark, either, although his proposal had certainly been heartfelt and sincere, and she’d thought she’d explained her reason for turning him down. She needed time to get to know him again, time to integrate the two aspects of his life into one, time to make the mental adjustments needed to be at ease with him again.

He didn’t understand. The lunkhead. Why couldn’t he just accept that she wasn’t rejecting him? Either part of him? She only wanted time to reconcile his two selves into one self in her mind. She only wanted to defer their marriage, not refuse to marry him. She still wanted to marry him.

Didn’t she?

She took a deep breath and told herself, yes, she wanted to marry him, but not yet. Not until she’d learned to trust him again. Not until she’d made the adjustments she needed to make.

Including an adjustment to his insufferable attitude. Just as soon as she could find a big enough stick.
Nice nod to the kiss we saw at the Tea after they disarmed the bomb and the emotions that had to still be under the surface
Clark saw her coming out of the corner of his eye. Typical Lois, on a mission of some kind, one surely destined to drive another stake into his heart. She couldn’t leave well enough alone, she had to push him to help her and be around her and why couldn’t she see that it was sheer torture for him?

They’d defused the bomb set by Intergang at the museum as a team. Neither of them separately could have done the job, but they’d overcome their relationship difficulties long enough to learn some things about themselves and each other. Things were better than they had been after Lois had refused his proposal, but they weren’t right yet. There were still things they needed to talk over and things they needed to settle. She kept saying that she needed time to get used to his “other job,” and he was still having trouble getting past the word “no” coming out of her mouth. The tension was stronger at some times than at others, but it wasn’t going away any time soon.
Just don't let them us the irons on each other on the course!

F
Kerth
Kerth
F
groan, all this to set up a PUN!
wildguy wildguy wildguy

Framework4
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Heee! This is so much fun! Excellent work, Terry - I'm enjoying the story immensely and will be looking forward to the second part. smile

Totally loved reading the golf parts -- I'll have to show my BF, he'll get a kick out of it, I'm sure. Hehehe!

If I may argue over just the tiniest little thing, though... Clark would know that Lois plays golf - they were at a driving range together once, at the very start of "Witness" -- Clark even got some tips from Phil Mickelson, the lucky devil! "Don't be afraid to hit the ball, the ball's not going to hit you back" -- I, uh, know the scene by heart, it's one of my all-time favorites... *blushes* I'm a *huge* fan of Phil Mickelson. (and yeah, what can I say, I'm also a dork!)

Superman: Why is it that good villains never die?
Batman: Clark, what the hell are good villains?
=> Superman/Batman: Public Enemies
T
Merriwether
Merriwether
T
Cute story idea.

I think Clark is over-reacting just a bit to Lois' needling. It seems like typical over competitive Lois to me.

One small nitpick. You must have made a typo. A 348 yard hole would never be a par five. It wouldn't even be considered a particularly long par 4.

Tank (who hasn't been able to play golf yet this year because he currently only has four golf balls and given the way he plays... that ain't nearly enough)

E
Merriwether
Merriwether
E
Unlike Tank, I know nothing about golf. I'm assuming that an unplayable lie means that the ball is laying down someplace where it can't be hit with a stick? As for the rest, par something, bogey, and that other word have me scratching my head.

Anywho, I'm enjoying Clark's misery and Lois' crowing even if I don't understand the lingo. Megets that Lois is winning and Clark is... not.

Elisabeth
PS Lady Moon is correct. It was when they were doing intros that were totally unrelated to the actual stories.

T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
Patrick wrote:
groan, all this to set up a PUN!
No, the title is a double entendre, which means that it has more than one direct meaning. The following would be a pun.
Recent discoveries have now revealed that several members of the William Tell family were avid bowlers. Unfortunately, the league records were destroyed years ago, so we will never know for whom the Tells bowled.
Now you can groan.

Um, Tank, this is a really hard 348-yard hole with lots of hazards and twists and turns and - yeah, it was supposed to be 448. I'll change it. Thanks for the range-finder eyes.

Lara, Clark would know that Lois plays, but he might not know how often she plays or how badly she wants to beat him at something. And maybe she's sniping a bit, and maybe Clark's too sensitive, but there's that big elephant wearing a red-and-blue costume in the room that they're trying to ignore. That'd make almost anyone a little chippy.

Oops. Unintentional pun.

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing
Columnist
Columnist
This was so much fun to read. I've never played golf in my life, so all the lingo they were using flew over my head like a ... (insert golf metaphor here)

But I loved seeing them interact together, and I can't wait to see what's going to happen next.

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I have no clue about golf but the story was cute. laura

Clark: “If we can be born in an instant, and die in an instant, why can’t we fall in love in an instant?”

Caroline's "Stardust"
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
What a great little story! And most likely the first LnC story including golf I ever read.
I have never played myself but do understand some of the metaphors.

I just wished Anita was still around to read this story. She was such a golf fan and player, she would have gotten a kick out of this!

I am glad the unplayable lie was not Clark/Superman's downfall. wink

Natascha

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Well, I do play golf (amateur now, haven't been on a team since the schooling years), so it was nice to wrap a story around one of my interests! But what I really enjoyed was Lois' anger. Yeah, I know, I'm some kind of masochist reader in disguise :p , but it's just a reminder to me that the show kind of dealt with a lot of the initial CK=S stuff in one episode (you know, let's disarm a bomb and then kiss and make up). So it's always nice to see another story that looks into that whole mess.

Two thumbs up!
JD

"Meg...who let you back in the house?" -Family Guy
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Online Content
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Terry, your Lois-writing in this was just plain brilliant. You certainly have a way with words. clap

Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard