Next Thread
Print Thread
T
TOC Offline OP
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
Oh, how scary! How frightening! The baby may have stopped growing! How utterly helpless you would feel. And this would be happening just as Lois is investing all her emotional energy into preparing for her expanding family, so that the idea of losing that growing family and that little baby would be so heartbreaking. Worse, it might be emotionally paralysing.

There is another possibility than the really horrible one that the baby has stopped growing. It could be that it is simply growing more slowly than a fully human baby would. Now that it is six weeks old, it is the size of a four-and-a-half weeks old human baby. If this is what the problem is, then a fully human baby grows one and a third times as fast as a human and kryptonian one. But guess what that means? If Lois's pregnancy is going to take one and a third times as long as a normal pregnancy, then she is going to be pregnant for twelve months! No way anyone is going to believe that her pregnancy is in any way normal! What is Cat, gossip reporter, going to report about that?

This was adorably sweet:

Luckily, while I was struggling with what to do – I wanted to take the day off, but knew I could not take off for the next several weeks, Perry came over.

“Go home, honey,” he said quietly.

“What?” I asked as I noticed Clark glance up at us.

“You look awful,” Perry said, the compassion in his voice taking the sting out of his words. “Go home. Work from there if you can. If you can come in for staff meetings, I'd appreciate it, but other than that, you can work from home until you feel better.”

“Thank you, Perry,” I said, feeling tears building behind my eyes.

Perry smiled. “Just take care of the little one, darling',” he said to me. “And Clark,” he said over my head. “You should stay home, too. Take care of your wife.”
Oh please, don't let the baby die and rob Perry of the chance of being a "grandfather" of it!

I liked how you made Lois feel that her relationship with Clark was growing even stronger:

Clark went out occasionally to interview people for our stories and more often than that for Superman duties, but he was by my side as much as he could be. I was a little nervous about the baby. You hear so many stories about couples that fall apart after the arrival of a baby. But while I was still a little nervous, the week that followed eased those fears some what. I felt like all the time alone together made us closer together and I felt reassured that even thought things were going to change in a big way once the baby arrived, we were too strong together for it to cause problems we could not work out.
Jimmy had come over in the evening ostensibly to bring us some paperwork, but it was clear it was largely to check on me. Anyway, we were just chatting, when he pulled some gum out of his pocket.

“You want a piece?” he asked Clark.

Clark wrinkled his nose. “Sorry, Jim. I've never been a fan of grape bubble gum.”

“I'll have some,” I said. Even as I said it, I wondered why. I hadn't had grape bubble gum since I'd been a kid and given my inability to keep much of anything down right now, it was a weird choice. But within minutes of chewing it, I felt better.

It was the strangest thing, but Clark went that night and bought six packs of grape gum for me and I continued to chew them for the next several weeks.
Grape, as in grape fruit? Gaaah. I'd have to be really sick before I'd want something that tastes so bitter. Grape fruit for breakfast? No, thanks. Admittedly, though, if this is Lois's only pregnancy craving so far, it is not strange at all, and good luck to her if it works!

“So, how are you feeling?” Evelyn asked as we walked in.

“I'm good now,” I told her. “I was feeling really nauseous until a couple of days ago, but I'm feeling better now.”
When I had read through this part for the first time, I thought back on the disappearance of Lois's morning sickness and thought that perhaps it had gone away because the baby had died. But now I see that Lois has only been okay for the last couple of days, probably three or four days, and there is the possibility that the baby stopped growing about ten days ago. The timing doesn't match. Of course, Nancy, you know that we will all be so sad if there is somethng really wrong with the baby. Please let it be okay!

“But, if that is the case, if the baby has stopped growing, what happens next?” I asked.

“Well, we want to be sure, of course,” Evelyn said. “But if that was the case, and we left it alone, your body would catch on eventually and you'd have a miscarriage.”

My hand went immediately towards my stomach as if I could shield the baby from the idea of miscarrying.
I was so touched by this, as if Lois's body and mind would want to do different things with the baby.

“So,” I said, my voice quieter than I would have liked, “I should come back on Saturday for another test?” I asked.

“Yes,” Evelyn said, “although unfortunately, I won't be here. My sister is getting married,” she said apologetically. “But maybe Bernard?” she looked at him.

“I'm sorry, I can't,” he said. “I have a road trip with the Bio Bikers this weekend.”

“The Bio Bikers?” I couldn't help but ask.

Bernard blushed. “It's just a group of scientists, mostly biologists, who like to ride motorcycles.”
That was just so endearing - Bernard Klein and the Bio Bikers! But I wish he could have that road trip on another weekend.

“We can go anywhere we need to, Evelyn,” Clark reminded her.

“Oh,” she smiled slightly. “Right. The closest place that uses the same lab is in Platslum County.”

“Not a problem,” Clark said. “We'll go there on Saturday,” he said as he held me even closer to his side.
The Platslum County? I don't know why, but the name in itself sounds slightly evil to me.

Well, like Perry said to Lois - take care of the little one for us, Nancy!

Ann

Blogger
Blogger
Oh my god I hope everything works out fine... eek

Can't wait to read the next part. smile1

I am Top Banana - that's the way I like it... (Pilot - Lois Lane)
Blogger
Blogger
I'm really loving this fic... don't let anything unfixable happen to the baby.
Francisca

A LOVE THAT RISK NOTHING, WORTHS NOTHING (JONATHAN KENT- BIG GIRLS DON'T FLY)
Columnist
Columnist
Very scary not knowing what's happening.

I also enjoyed Clark's attempts to help Lois feel better. Why wouldn't she want fried chicken? wink I love his sweet ineptitude.

Grape, as in grape fruit?
Ann, I think she means grape as in:

[Linked Image]

Grapes!

A
Features Writer
Features Writer
A
Thank you for the reviews!

Ann- I just want to point out that Kryptonian pregnancies are completely unknown. They could be slow at first and then speed up and still be nine months. Or even if they are slow, presumably this would also mean it will take longer for Lois to show, so it may not be obvious to anyone she doesn't tell (and presumably she'd be pretty careful about telling knowing that this is a possibility). I haven't yet figured out what's going to happen, but I'm not so keen on this being the thing that brings Clark's secret to the public eye, so you can be sure it's not going to involve Lois being noticeably pregnant for months on end.

Beth is correct about the grape gum. Not grapefruit! It sounds weird either way, but I got this from my sister-in-law. She said any sort of grape flavored candy (gum, sucking candy, etc.) eased her morning sickness.

I was so touched by this, as if Lois's body and mind would want to do different things with the baby.
I didn't think about it that way, but I like that interpretation of Lois' action. It's very poetic.

Bernard Klein and the Bio Bikers
Sounds like a rock group!

Top Banana and FraNciScA - Thanks!

Beth-

I also enjoyed Clark's attempts to help Lois feel better. Why wouldn't she want fried chicken? I love his sweet ineptitude.
Sadly, that part was autobiographical. My husband (who has felt nausea before) kept offering me the strangest things. No fried chicken since we're vegetarian, but things like ice cream and all sorts of fried food. Nearly everyday for a week or so, he would offer a different strange option and I'd end up looking at him strangely, asking "Would that sound good to you if you were nauseous?"

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard