Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Shadow Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
I had a sixth sense you were posting tonight, Carol, despite the fact that it's almost 4AM LOL.

So, WHAM!

And of course it's nothing like I thought. I had all kinds of other plots in my head but Paul never came to mind. He always gave me the creeps, so I'm glad his slimy nature is out in the open. But just leaving him there...? I align with Clark that that's pretty sketchy. Who knows what other trouble could stir up by not reporting some self-D...

And hmmm Lucy senses the warp ridge in Lois and Clark's marriage. (That was probably a ridiculous descriptor, blame it on the Warcraft tonight.) I wonder if Lucy's going to say something to Lois...

And of course a big UGH about Paul lying to Lois about Maysonator. Way to fill her head with more ideas. I'm impressed she didn't act on it. Honestly, I think it could have been easy to cheat right back even though she doesn't know her fears are unfounded, but she really took the high road. Makes me wonder what that says about her and what she thinks about Clark...

Great part!
JD

"Meg...who let you back in the house?" -Family Guy
T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
I knew that Paul was bad news!!! But I didn't expect that he would try to rape Lois!

This made me horrified:

"No one will believe me. He made sure of that."

"What on earth do you mean? Why wouldn't anyone believe you?"

"He told me. He's put hints out that I... wanted him. We've worked late together, alone, several times. He said he's hinted to others that there's more to our relationship and that I'd be willing to do anything for an A."

"Why would you need to sleep with him to get an A? You're an excellent student."

"He can doctor grades, Clark."

"Why would he do that?"

"Because he didn't get what he wanted and if he discredits me, then there's nothing I can do to stop him."
Paul will make sure that Lois can't report him for attempted rape, and he can hold her grades against her and tell everybody that she tried to sell him sex in exchange for good grades??? So it is Lois who will come out of this looking like a whore and a slut, and as a bad student who'll use her body to get the grades that she can't get through honest studying?

And everybody will believe Paul here, and no one will believe Lois? mad mad mad

And what was this, Carol?

He lowered himself to the ground, pulling her into his lap. Another click went unheard.
Another click went unheard? A click? What is going on? Is anyone spying on them? Is there a camera taking pictures? Is Mayson there, for example? Or Linda?

Are Paul and Mayson in collusion? Those two lowlifes.

Will everything get worse between Lois and Clark because of this, Carol? It shouldn't. After all, Lois was mentally calling out to Clark for help, and he heard her, one way or another. Surely that must count for something, even in her book?

But what will happen to Lois's grades now? Her graduation? Will she flunk because Paul didn't get what he wanted? So that he will get no punishment for his attempted rape, but instead he will torture Lois further to punish her for not giving herself to him? So she will get punished, but not him? So that society makes Paul the law and the god who is allowed to set the rules for Lois's life? It makes me so furious to think about it.

Ann

Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Wow, Carol. I really was scared you would go through with it. I believe that's the closest Lois ever came to getting raped (Except for those couple of stories where she is married to Luthor). Oh, and Masques.

Don't scare people like that eek

But it is great Lois had her tape recorder in her pants. Great news. When will she listen to it? Soon, or just before everything falls completely apart? Please don't make the tape recorder a red herring. And have them find it TONIGHT or else wildguy

Or let Paul get run over by a car. A bus. A truck. A tank. Have him then fall into a vat of hydrochloric acid. Fry him. Crush him. Make him feel the pain. grovel

Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
The clicks must be her tape recorder, right? Please tell me I am right! Paul, you will so get what you deserve! If Carol doesn't make sur eof that, I will. I know guys who know guys!!!

I liked the conversation between Lucy and Clark and am interested in seing what the future holds.

Clark, I am proud of you for being there at the right time! Not one second too soon.

Lois, hang it there. I can see an important talk in your future. One that should reassure you.
Natascha

Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Can't do comments. I'm just numb.

Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Oh, wow. Maybe I'm not on to your evil scheme after all. This completely took me by surprise, not what I expected at all. Paul is just pure evil. It's unfathomable how someone can do something like this. He's got Lois in such a bad position too. Ruin her reputation, her grades, her future. Poor Lois! Let's see those Lane & Kent investigative skills fix everything!

But you made me so proud of Lois, standing up for her marriage! I'm afraid I honestly thought at the beginning of the scene that she'd take him up on his offer and Clark would bust in to find something mutual going on. I'm glad to see that Lois is willing to honor her marriage even if it's not going well.

I'm with everyone else here. I thought perhaps the "click" was Lois' tape recorder. Please let it be her tape recorder. (And if it is her tape recorder, I bet it will be the tape they won't find until the eleventh hour).

You've made this story truly addicting, Carol. What started out as a little sweet and heartbreaking is now riveting and heartbreaking. I'm anxiously awaiting more!

F
Kerth
Kerth
F
Clark needs to stop her right now. This is no longer about her.

Clark: "What about the next girl?"

Lois "What?"

Clark: "I said What about the next girl? Rapists don't stop at one victim. The next girl may not have a husband with superhearing and superspeed who arrives in the nick of time."

Lois: "I don't care"

Clark: "What if it was Lucy?"

And so on.

Framework4
F
Kerth
Kerth
F
I enjoyed the part. I missed the bit about the click till I read other's feedback.

Please DON'T let the click be a tape recorder. It is an easy out for Lois.

Lois is faced with circumstances that thousands of young women face every year. They have to decide to do what's right without a tape recorder and a lucky recording.

As for not being believed. Yeah it happens, but far more often a man like this is already riding on the edge. File charges and see how many other victims step forward into the light of day.

Framework4
C
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
C
Wow. That was more coherent than my reaction when I hit 'refresh' on the boards this morning. Then I just stared at the number in the replies column, mouth agape, for a few seconds.

I'll respond in more detail later, but did want to say thank you.

Michael - Becky Bain's excellent In a Dark Time deals with that in an S5-6 time period [as in post series]. I tear up every time I read it [I cry every time I read her Ad Astra Per Aspera ]. My goal is *not* to rewrite IaDT because she did that much better than I could ever hope to.

Carol

T
Merriwether
Merriwether
T
This has been a well written story, and I have been following it. I haven't been commenting because most of the angst in this story is the kind that I find annoyingly frustrating. The angst of two people being conveniently stupid.

They both know something is wrong, but refuse to 'talk' to each other to find out what the problem is. Instead they allow the problem to continue until it has some dire consequence for their relationship.

Now I know that their are many gentle readers who love to see the angst levels cranked up so that the 'happy resolution' pay off is that much more satisfying. That's part of romance fiction, I know that. I also realize that this story has been well thought out in providing circumstances that can lead to the kind of misunderstandings that can create the problems. It's just that I get annoyed when it drags on and on and on. To me that seems artifically forced. But that's just me.

Back to the story.

We now have a situation that is a perfect catalyst for allowing Lois and Clark to find out about each other's fears and the misunderstandings they have caused. Or... it can just be used to push the angst levels higher and the couple farther apart.

I'll be interested to see where this goes.

Please realize that this is not meant to be a negative feedback. What is being done is being done very well. The writing is crisp and the imagery is clear. The characters feel real (if a bit dense) and we sympathise with the hurdles they are forced to overcome. I'm just not fond of extended angst based soley on misunderstanding.

Tank (who may have the whole thing wrong and the gentle writer is planning on showing that Lois and Clark aren't actually meant to be together wink )

Top Banana
Top Banana
Please let the 'click' be Lois's recorder - yes it's an easy out for her, but given her reaction to the event, Clark should find it and hand it over to Perry or the police without Lois knowing.... :rolleyes:

And yes, sexual predators of that nature not only do not stop, but may well escalate to murder. In fact, chances are very good that Paul will try to flunk Lois anyway and the next girl will end up dead.

Big Apricot Superman Movieverse
The World of Lois & Clark
Richard White to Lois Lane: Lois, Superman is afraid of you. What chance has Clark Kent got? - After the Storm
Top Banana
Top Banana
Carol, I have been reading but not replying because I just didn't have the time, but this part just had me in so much angst...

"I'm going to be moving out pretty soon."
This is probably a blessing in disguise for Lois and Clark because they need to have some time alone together to start new. They did what they had to do so, now their lives should be about understanding each other and being married.
"I think I’m going to go for a walk. Maybe go pick up Lois at the paper." He glanced at the clock. "She should be done soon."

"Are you okay?"

"Yeah, I've just got this feeling and I can't quite figure out what it means."

"What kind of feeling?"

"I don't know. That's just it. I'm just... uneasy and restless and I don't know why."
Wow, this is how so in sync those two are. Clark can feel that something isn't right. What better way to express how so in tuned to Lois that Clark really is and how much he loves her.
"Excuse me?" Lois had no intention of telling him how things really were between her and Clark. She backed up until her legs hit the conference table. There was an audible click as something in her pocket hit the table, but neither noticed.
Tape recorder, PLEASE!
"Does he satisfy you, Lois? Does he treat you the way a beautiful woman should be treated? Does he make love to you like a man in love should?"

"That's none of your business."

"I know. It's not, but I'm worried about you, Lois."

"Why?"

"Because the whole campus knows about him and that English major – something Drake."

Lois felt her face go pale. "What about him and Mayson?"

"That they've had a thing going on for years now." He moved closer until he was standing mere inches from her. "They've made you the laughingstock of the university, Lois."

"They have?" Her voice sounded small even to herself.

"They have, Lois." He raised one hand until it gently grazed her cheek. "You're too beautiful to be treated like that."
I hope that Lois isn't going to fall for this. I wouldn't be surprised if Mayson had some input in this. If Lois voluntarily slept with Paul and didn't stick to her guns, then she would have something to taunt Clark about and possibly get him to leave Lois. Not happening...right?
The sound of the door jamb splintering startled both of them. Lois closed her eyes in relief as she realized Clark stood there, but the relief was short lived as a hand lightly gripped her throat.

"Let go of my wife." Clark's voice held barely concealed anger.

"Didn't you know she likes it rough, Kent?" her attacker snarled.

"I'm not someone you want to make mad, Paul. Let her go."
YES! Controlled angry Clark...I love it!
"Shh. Lois. I'm here. He can't hurt you." He lowered himself to the ground, pulling her into his lap. Another click went unheard.
Oh God...he just loves her so much. They really need to talk.

Tape recorder off, now.
"No one will believe me. He made sure of that."

"What on earth do you mean? Why wouldn't anyone believe you?"

"He told me. He's put hints out that I... wanted him. We've worked late together, alone, several times. He said he's hinted to others that there's more to our relationship and that I'd be willing to do anything for an A."

"Why would you need to sleep with him to get an A? You're an excellent student."

"He can doctor grades, Clark."

"Why would he do that?"

"Because he didn't get what he wanted and if he discredits me, then there's nothing I can do to stop him."

"We'll go to Perry. I saw what was happening."

"And because one journalist believes the students he's friends with, that means it must be true? He'll discredit me and you and Perry if he has to."

Groaning from the corner caught their attention.

Clark stared intently at the older man. "He doesn't have a concussion."

"Good. Then let's get out of here." She stood, grabbed his hand and pulled him out the door.

When they reached the center of the newsroom, he stopped in his tracks. "Lois, we can't just leave him here, even if he is the lowest form of life imaginable."

She turned on her heel and headed for the stairs. "Watch me."
Never fear Lois. You have all the evidence you need to be credible! I cannot wait until Clark hears the tape and find out that Lois believes that he is having an affair with Mayson. OOH Carol, you musn't keep us waiting!

This story has been absolutely genius. Carol you have just touched on all of my emotions with it. Loved it! Absolutely fabulous. I hate that you have the power to distract me from my studies just to see if there is more posted. I hate you having that power over me! Damn you!

Now get back here before Monday!

~Sheila

I'm a firm believer in the fact that God doesn't put any more on us than we can bear. He does however make us come to Jesus every so often.
Columnist
Columnist
Maybe it's a sign of the changing times, but my (admittedly limited) experience with sexual harrasment had shown that people tend to side with the student's claims as opposed to the teacher's. Teachers are considered guilty until proven innocent, usually only when the student admits they have been lying.

However, Lois may not be aware of this, and I'm sure she wouldn't be the first student who was scared into silence.

On a fairly unrelated note, David Mamet's play Oleanna deals with this issue in a very interesting way. Although it has a very tragic ending, blame can reasonably be placed on both the student and the teacher. Although I haven't been able to see it performed live, it is a great read, and there is a movie made of it as well. But be careful if you object to strong language and physical violence.

But back to the story. I can see how this could put additional stress on Lois and Clark. Although Clark may now realize Lois' suspicions, I can see him becoming very upset if she believes the word of a rapist over his own. And Lucy's departure may do them some good, but it can also go in reverse. When Lucy leaves, there is no more pressure to "pretend", and Lois could easily decide to move into Lucy's room. I'm hoping that this doesn't happen, though, and that the recent events will force this couple to get things out in the open.

Top Banana
Top Banana
Whoa! nick of time...

I just hope that this is *all* what you meant by 'things will go worse before they go better'.. or is there worse yet? /me shudders.

I too loved how Lois clung to Clark mentally to help her survive the encounter, and her refusal to cheat as well as "eyes open" shows how strong she is despite her self-esteem reducing experiences.

Waiting impatiently to know what Lois & Clark decide to do about the low-life, coz if they simply leave now, "Paul the horrible" can still execute what he threatened to to destroy Lois' reputation. I mean he can still blackmail her and as pointed above countless other students. Of course there is the clicking tape recorder smile

Also, a lot will depend on how L&C decide to cope with this. If they turn to other people instead of each other to talk about this then that's... not nice smile1

If she had to move heaven and Earth, perhaps come back to haunt Perry and explain the story after they'd killed her, she would do it.

Waking a Miracle by Aria
C
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
C
Am having a crappy night and so am going to read through the lovely FDK again and reply to some of it smile . Am actually contemplating posting the next segment for that very reason, but it's one I'm nervous about [though Alisha tells me the reasoning/rationale works] so... and I'm down to a 5 part buffer so...

JD - what're you doing up so late too?!?! wink Exactly what Paul knows and Mayson's involvement, if any, should come to light later [have I mentioned that A plot isn't my strong suit?] I can see how it might be easy for Lois to 'cheat back' but she has issues with that kind of relationship in general - skittish about it anyway - more of that will come out next time as they start to deal with the aftermath.

Ann - he chose her carefully. More details on why will come out later - besides simply that she's very insecure in her relationship with her significant other. This is one of those pivotal points in a person's life or in a relationship. This could either solidify everything between them or tear them apart. That certainly is one potential outcome: Lois fails and Paul moves on to his next victim.

Michael - you've got me opening Masques [like I have *that* kind of time]. I *think* I read it eons ago, but I honestly don't remember. Tape recorder? /me reads part again seeing no mention of a tape recorder wink Clark does try to come up with some inventive pain inducing situations for Paul later.

Natascha - /me stays away from her guys who know guys. Lucy hasn't been in the forefront here much at all. She will get more page time a bit later, but she's really a minor character here. I am, however, really enjoying seeing everything from her perspective in her story [which I haven't touched in a while because I *have* to get this one done].

Amy - Sorry you're numb, but I'm going to take that as a good thing.

Rona - hee hee - I got my notebook back wink . Doesn't mean I'm giving up yours! I did rec Mon/Tues to someone just tonight [but that someone is a Dan fan - some of you guys probably know who that is because they're so few and far between wink ].

Framework - you're right that it needs to stop now. This kind of thing is so rarely a one time event. A date rape type thing, maybe - where she says no at the last minute or whatever - still reprehensible, but not necessarily indicative of a pattern of behavior. Tape recorder could be an easy way out, but you're right - they really should decide what they should do about it without knowing they have proof [assuming of course that it is a recording].

Tank - once again, you have me glad I'm sitting down. Thank you - and I truly mean that. Between your compliments here and in the other thread and an email from another long time FoLC who I am in awe of, you two have absolutely made my YEAR. /me contemplates Tank's last... You know I bet Clark could end up happy with Mayson - or even going back to Lana. And Dan really isn't so bad. Lois may come to appreciate the gifts.

Dandello - you make very good points. When I was emailing another FoLC who offered her A plot expertise, I felt like someone from Criminal Minds [of course, I'd just watched it earlier that night wink ] when describing Paul to her.

Sheila - I'm glad to hear you've been around and I understand the no time to post things. That whole scene was a fairly late addition. The segment originally was supposed to be just the second part which would have been way short, but I didn't want to go on - I wanted to leave it there. The part with Lucy moving out came later still... I *will* say that Clark does not find out about Lois' suspicions about Mayson from a tape recording. How/if he finds out is still one of life's mysteries though. At least for you guys. I am completely humbled that I can drag you from your studies, but as a college instructor I must protest and send you straight back to the books.

Beth - I think that is the case today. I'm not so sure about 20 years ago. I think part of it also depends on whether there's any publicity involved. If it's all over CNN then there's more likely to be action, I think - or even all over a local station or two. As mentioned earlier - you've hit it on the head. This is one of those crucial moments in time and what they do here will have ripple effects.

AnKS - worse yet? That may depend on your definition of 'worse'. You'll see... wink

Thank you again everyone. Even though I've been damned here, it has lifted my spirits a bit smile . Now if I can just win the lottery and quit my job... hee hee. I don't suppose there's any paying positions for fic writers out there is there?

Not sure when I'm going to post. Probably late Sunday night or earlyish Monday morning.
Carol

Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Hey Carol~

First off, Happy Mother's Day to you! Thanks for giving us the present wink

Okay, now for the other stuff... I don't really know what to say or how to respond to that part - and not in a bad way. Rather, it was well written as always, and emotion evoking. While I had my anxieties about Paul, I wasn't expecting him to go *that* far, and I sat and read in trepidation that he would actually be successful. Thankfully, Clark's sixth sense had him there in time to stop it, but the attack itself is going to leave a scar of its own.

I'm not sure where you are going to go from here, but I hope that it doesn't get too much darker for Lois and Clark. As others have mentioned, no consequences for Paul leaves him open to attempt to do the same to someone else. I know Clark can't live with that, and I think that Lois will come to that thought on her own as well. Her pursuit has always been for truth and justice as much as Clark's/Superman's has been, and while I can understand how she would be able to Loiscize (justify) herself as a silent victim, I think she's too conscious of others being victims to not respond. Now, how she chooses to respond in this greatly complex situation is (thankfully) up to you and not me wink

My wish would be that this event be an impetus to a much needed coming together for Lois and Clark, but I don't know that their relationship has set up a strong enough foundation to support it. I hope that I am wrong.

So, kind of off topic question here- is LTL: Lucy's Story the earlier mentioned 'sequel' or is that a 'spin-off' (meaning that there is a sequel *and* and a spin-off, yes, I am greedy). BTW- Above Alt Else way my Nano fic- although I obviously didn't make the given deadline, it was worth the shot.

Okay, so back on topic: Again, well-written, thought and feeling provoking part. Yet another situation that Lois and Clark have to deal with that leaves no easy solution. I look forward to your next addition.

~Sonia

October Sands, An Urban Fairy Tale featuring Lois and Clark
"Elastigirl? You married Elastigirl? (sees the kids) And got bizzay!" -- Syndrome, The Incredibles
E
Merriwether
Merriwether
E
Whoops, this was James not knowing I was logged in as Elisabeth... blush

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
This is a quote of me not telling Elisabeth in IRC any spoilers for LtL 16.

I am on part 16 and I am about to send to visit Carol M
ARRRRRGGHHHHH!!!!!!
ARRRRRGGHHHHH!!!!!! is the only thing I am going to textually scream
ARRRRRGGHHHHH!!!!! X2
ARRRRRGGHHHHH!!!!! X2 X infinitey!!!!!
ARRRRRGGHHHHH!!!!! X2 X infinitey!!!!! X222
PirateDiva will confirm that as well

Ok, now that I have that off my chest.

Ditto Tank, about the angst.

Now, Paul needs to be slowly roasted over an open flame after being basted with crude oil.

And Mayson...She is the joke of the campus, if she has been throwing herself at this Clark like our Mayson threw herself at our Clark in the series.

Now, please, please let that be a tape recorder in her pocket!

James

“…with God everything is possible.” Matthew 19:26.

Also read Nan's Terran Underground!
C
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
C
What a wonderful Mother's Day surprise smile . Just as DH and 2 of the DDs finished making me dinner [slightly burned beef stroganoff - hey DH had never made it before and I haven't made it since high school]. There was no Dairy Queen cake in the freezer but I do still have brownies from dinner with MIL last night.

Sonia - I didn't realize Above Alt Else was your Nano fic smile . LtL: LS essentially covers the same time frame [or that's the plan - right now it's only to the ice storm] but from Lucy's perspective so she's not privy to things that Lois/Clark know [like they only *sleep* together]. The sequel is Building a Life. Of course, there's also Martha's Letters and Louise's Letters - which I need to work on. I understand your wish and that certainly is one possibility.

James - I think that's you in disguise wink . You're evil. It's Mother's Day! You could have pasted it into IRC for her you know! Hmmm... that's an interesting scenario for Paul... I may need to have another contest for who can come up with the best one...

Thanks again! Look for 17 later tonight or early tomorrow!
Carol

E
Merriwether
Merriwether
E
This is Elisabeth posting as herself. (You can tell us apart by looking at the hair. I have hair. See the difference?)

I like the reasons why Clark studies slowly. His illustration of the 2-year-old's birthday is nice, too.

"I know but you know the old saying 'Family is like fish – after three days it begins to stink'. Three years is even worse I'm sure."
Actually, family is like family. After three years having Lucy there must feel normal. I've never experienced empty nest syndrome, but I imagine that it won't feel like the third wheel has finally left but more like the silence is closing in on them.

He'd been a good friend to her over the last two years – mainly since the first time she'd discovered Clark and Mayson eating together. He'd helped her with homework, given her suggestions for stories – many of which turned out to be above the fold – and even allowed her to help, from time to time, with the editing duties he had.
Which is why this is even a worse betrayal than it could have been. This would have hurt regardless, but wounds from a friend hurt so much worse.

While I rationally believe that Lois would be believed before Paul, at least enough that she would be protected while an investigation was launched. However, I can understand why Lois doesn't believe that. This is a calculated rape, her rapist having carefully selected a woman he feels doesn't feel good enough about herself to deny him.

"Clark will believe me. Perry White will believe me."
In her heart she still believes in Clark.

I like how she determines that she will fight him to the end. Even though he has physically mastered her she makes him degrade her to her face.

"Let go of my wife." Clark's voice held barely concealed anger.

"Didn't you know she likes it rough, Kent?" her attacker snarled.

"I'm not someone you want to make mad, Paul. Let her go."
Clark is used to concealing his emotions, to containing himself enough to keep those around him safe. The fact that he barely holds it down is very telling.

"Lois, we can't just leave him here, even if he is the lowest form of life imaginable."

She turned on her heel and headed for the stairs. "Watch me."
She doesn't feel strong enough to fight Paul, but she is safe enough to fight Clark.

While I understand and agree with Clark that it should be reported, realistically Lois has to be healthy enough to do that. Mom never reported when she was raped by someone she trusted. It was over a decade later that she realized she had left a friend in harm's way (who thankfully was fine), but still it isn't the first thing a woman thinks about. It's a big picture item. Who looks at the big picture when you're almost raped?

I know it's a little off topic to this story part, but I'm grieving a little bit that the first view that Clark has of Lois' body is under these circumstances. It was supposed to be a moment that was celebrated and forever etched into their minds. While I have no doubt this will be unforgettable, it will be remembered either as an open wound or as a scar.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not opposed to rape stories (I wrote one. Remember?), but I feel that this should be fully grieved for the horror that it truly is.

Elisabeth
who wonders where Lois will go for support in healing since she feels like she has no one

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard