Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Wendymr Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
I don't usually start my own comments folders. But this time I have a number of people I want to thank, and to whom I'm extremely grateful. smile

This is my first long story since Carbon Copy, which was finished around a year ago. Since then, it felt as if I was incapable of writing anything longer than around 50 pages or so, and even difficult writing anything that long. Short stories for the most part were no problem, but while I'd started three or four stories which could all turn out to be long, I seemed to get blocked on them after a while.

So this story was difficult to write at times, since it was a process of getting over what seemed to be a case of writer's block. That's why, although I started out with two posts a week, my schedule slowed down to one a week, and then for a while even slower than that. Getting this finished feels like a major psychological hurdle passed.

And I owe thanks to a lot of people for helping me here. First, to all of you, who have been reading the story all along, or coming in at various stages, and posting wonderful and helpful feedback here or emailing me privately. Your comments have kept me going and reassured me that you really did like the story and wanted to read more. So thank you very much indeed. thumbsup

An even bigger thanks to two of my beta-readers, Kaethel and Annette. Kaethel is famous for her not-so-subtle hints, but also for a huge amount of enthusiasm and also for knowing just when to point out that I need to expand on something a little more. Annette is one of the best cheerleaders any fanfic writer could ask for, and it's such a morale-boost to go on IRC and be asked if I've written any more I can send her. Plus she was invaluable on a couple of US/UK language pointers. Thanks, you two! thumbsup

And finally, but far from least, my beta-reader-in-chief, Yvonne Connell, deserves the biggest thanks of all. Yvonne's stuck with me all the way through this story, diligently sent back sections as I wrote them, and nagged me about it even when I didn't want to be nagged. And all this when she was trying to write her own (fantastic) long story, too! Yvonne, you're a BR in a million. Thank you so much!! wave

And now, you may comment below if you wish. wink

Wendy smile

Just a fly-by! *waves*
Top Banana
Top Banana
Happy, waffy, relieved sigh. smile Whew! You didn't kill Lois after all. You know, Wendy, for all that pretence of being thrilled that Lex got me rid of Lois so that I could get my hands on Clark (before it got snatched away from me by absolutely evil others), I can't help but love this final part. smile

First, there was this line, which never fails to make me laugh no matter how many times I re-read it:

“What’s the problem, Lane?” the officer enquired, sounding distracted.

“It’s currently lying tied up on my apartment floor, actually,” she told him.
Then there's the end of the exchange between Lois and Bill Henderson, where you can see a glimpse of their relationship that is rarely shown. They really do respect each other a lot, and care for the other's safety.

Then there's this other bit, which is one of the most romantic love-confessions I've read so far.

Sliding his hands down her arms, he linked his hands with hers, intertwining their fingers. She gazed up at him, her eyes wide with concern for him.

For him! After all that she’d gone through this evening!

“Lois.” He heard the faint choke in his voice, and paused to take another steadying breath. “Lois, I love you.”
It was low-key, but it fitted perfectly into this context. I could feel Clark's weariness and hear the relief in his voice, sense the fear still in him that he had almost lost her, and the relief that he had not almost got there too late, that he needn't feel guilty for not reacting sooner. It made for a mixture of sweetness and passion in that line. smile

And finally, there's the extremely waffy epilogue-scene, which gives our heroes some romantic relief.

This story is going straight to my Kerth folder. Reading it was a real pleasure throughout, as it had just the right mixture of angst, humour and romance. There was witty dialogue in almost every scene, beautiful and often heartwrenching introspection, and very romantic lines and scenes.

Last but not least, thank you, Wendy, for your sweet words in the first post of this comments folder. I'm the one who is grateful to you - I didn't have time to BR the story as I usually do, but you still agreed to paste your new scenes to me on irc and listened to my sometimes rambling comments as I read. And you bore with me yelling at you when things got very complicated for our heroes, or when a sweet kiss was interrupted. smile

So... maybe I should start nagging for DBA now. Oops, wait, I've already started. Maybe I should continue then. laugh

Kaethel smile

- I'm your partner. I'm your friend.
- Is that what we are?
- Oh, you know what? I don't know what we are. We kiss and then we never talk about it. We nearly die frozen in each other's arms, but we never talk about it, so no, I got no clue what we are.

~ Rick Castle and Kate Beckett ~ Knockout ~
Merriwether
Merriwether
Awww. *sniff* What a perfect ending. Lex is tied up and off to jail for good, Superman has introduced himself to the authorities, and then the smoochies. "Everything else is just details" is right. But what details! (I still need a melting smilie. blah)

Great ending... much preferable to the TE, to me! laugh

"You need me. You wouldn't be much of a hero without a villain. And you do love being the hero, don't you. The cheering children, the swooning women, you love it so much, it's made you my most reliable accomplice." -- Lex Luthor to Superman, Question Authority, Justice League Unlimited
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Hi,

Beautiful story! smile1

Maria D. Ferdez.
---
Don't like Luthor, unfinished, untitled and crossover story, and people that promises and don't deliver. I'm getting choosy with age.
MAF
Top Banana
Top Banana
<sniff> What a beautiful wonderful sweet waffy end. *happy sigh*

I love that phone call with Henderson, very funny. smile And the rescue was great too, especially with Clark's introspection before it. He finally feels alright about his powers and knows where he belongs. smile1

And they told they love each other! thumbsup

Saskia

I tawt I taw a puddy cat!
Columnist
Columnist
Beautiful, Wendy! Lovely and WAFFy!

I can hardly wait for your next story.

Irene smile

I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me at once.
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Aw Wendy that was a really sweet ending to a good story. I will look forward to your next one.

Clark: “If we can be born in an instant, and die in an instant, why can’t we fall in love in an instant?”

Caroline's "Stardust"
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Another story well done Wendy thumbsup

doublel

Nan Offline
Kerth
Kerth
And a massive "Whew!" from me. I didn't really think you'd kill Lois after all that, but I'm really awful at handling suspense.

Very nice story, Wendy. Dare we hope your writer's block is over, now?

Nan

Earth is the insane asylum for the universe.
T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
Wendy

WOW! This is absolutely wonderful. smile1

Somehow, by some plan of Fate, Larry had been destined to meet Charlie. And to fall in love.
And, she was determined, they would live happily ever after.
Well, once she'd had enough of kissing him for tonight, that was.
I love how you refer back to Larry and Charlie. These lines are great. goofy

Tricia cool

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Ahh... very nice. It's been great to read a long story from you again, Wendy. I love the shorter ones too, don't get me wrong, but a longer story just offers more scope...

I love the way Lois helped save herself. And this part made me sniffle:

Distress was stark in his voice; Lois wanted to go to him, comfort him - and comfort herself in the process. But the timing was wrong. He was there in his costume, as Superman. The last thing they could afford to do was have anyone link Superman too closely with Lois Lane.
Though my initial reaction was to think they should knock Lex unconscious so they could snuggle for a while wink

But, they finally got to hug, and a very nice hug it was, too!

It's been a fun ride, Wendy smile

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
A
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
A
So, here's a good story, from the beginning 'til the end wink

When I first joined you, you had already posted 7 or 8 parts of it. I might had missed it if it wasn't for Raquel's recommendation (and she has a good taste, as it seems!!). I'm glad I didn't miss it, after all. From the first part I got hooked (although I didn't post comments very often).

I'm really looking forward to another (long or short) story from you.

Keep up the good work.
AnnaBtG.

What we've got here is failure to communicate...
Features Writer
Features Writer
Wendy
beautiful and waffy ending
I loved the whole story.
ditto others
merry

RL Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
Congratulations on the completion of another great longfic! It's been a fun ride. goofy

Clark was silent for a moment; then he said slowly, “I’m not so sure. I mean, I know I never believed that I’d find a woman who could accept me as I am - who could love me despite everything that I am -”

Lois interrupted him before he could continue. “Despite what you are, Clark?” She shook her head, then nudged him gently, chastisingly, with her elbow. “Don’t you know that I love you precisely because of everything you are? Because of your courage and your need to do what’s right, your loyalty and steadfastness - and the fact that under your incredible strength you’re so vulnerable, Clark. And that makes me believe that you need me just as much as I need you.”
Nice touch, Wendy. thumbsup

His gaze holding hers, Clark took Lois’s hand in his and raised it to his lips, brushing the back of her hand with a soft kiss. “I love you, Larry Long. And I love you, Lois Lane.”

Lois reached around and up, covering Clark’s lips with hers in a sweet kiss. “And I love you, Charlie King.” Interspersing her words with kisses, she continued. “And I love you, Superman. And, most of all, I love you, Clark Kent.”
It's been so long that they were Larry Long and Charlie King, it's nice to bring up this little reminder on how they met in this story.

Kudos, Wendy! Look forward to DBA next!

P.S. I hit 300 posts! Yay!

-- Roger

"The Constitution only gives people the right to pursue happiness. You have to catch it yourself." -- Benjamin Franklin
Features Writer
Features Writer
Congratulations, Wendy! A terrific tie-up to a wonderful story. Like others have said before me, I love how Lois helped save herself at the end; Mad Dog Lane will go down fighting. smile

And this was great... smile1
“What’s the problem, Lane?” the officer enquired, sounding distracted.

“It’s currently lying tied up on my apartment floor, actually,” she told him.
And of course I loved the entire waffy scene when Clark returned as Clark and they told each other that they loved each other. ::Very happy sighs:: But you knew that we'd all love that, didn't you... [Linked Image] There were so many romantic lines that it was hard to choose which to quote, but I had to pick something.
“Anyway, back to how amazing it is that we met, and we were both single... I think now that I’ve just been waiting for you. No other woman meant anything to me... because she wasn’t you.”

“You believe that everyone has a soulmate?” Lois asked.

“I don’t know. What I do know is this: if I can come to this planet from wherever I came from - maybe millions of miles away - and find the one woman I know I’ll love for the rest of my life, then there has to be a chance at happiness for everyone.”
Wonderful. A very enjoyable L&C voyage with you, and like everyone else I'm eagerly awaiting your next story (long or short).

KathyM

"Our thoughts form the universe. They always matter." - Babylon 5
N
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
N
Hmmm, I got two parts since I last checked. Well, great! This was very very satsifying Wendy (as was the TE too). A lovely ending to an irresistable attraction. smile

Happy happy camper, I

Best,
Sherry

Visit www.marykay.com/sfmurphy for wonderful cosmetic products and an opportunity to enrich the lives of women.
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
It was really amazing how Lois changed during this story: in the beginning I didn't much like her, but she became one of the most mature versions of Lois. This you described really well.

In this final chapter, I especially liked how Lois realizes that she had maneged years without Superman - and can do so now, also.

There is one thing that I would like alter and that is, could at least some the emotional tension between Lois and Clark be solved in the end?

Gabriele
T
Merriwether
Merriwether
T
I come back home to find another ending posted to this story? I thought we already had an ending?

There really was very little tension in this climax. Once it got going it was obvious that Clark was going to save Lois, even if she had to help out just a bit.

Then this degenerated into waffs, kisses, and all sorts of yucky stuff. Oh well, what did I expect.

Another great story by Wendy (ho hum) I wonder if she ever gets bored with writing good stories?

Tank (who can read 'em but still can't write too much and has to keep his comments short)

Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
WOHOOOO!! smile1

Such a little thing really, a kiss...most people don't give it a moment's consideration. They kiss on meeting, they kiss on parting, that simple touching of flesh is taken entirely for granted as a basic human right.

Susan Kay
Wendymr Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
I’m very, very late responding to this thread, for which I apologise. frown Blame it on the aftermath of moving, and on a certain French visitor who was here for a week! <g> I really am very grateful for all your comments, particularly for the reasons I mentioned at the start of this thread.

Thanks to everyone who mentioned what Lois said to Henderson about the problem lying tied up on her apartment floor - glad you liked it, and also Lois and Henderson’s banter towards the story. smile Particularly you, Roger:
I'd pay to see a comedy act between Henderson and Lane. These guys are just hilarious together, both with the same dry wit. Sorry, Clark. You're just too much of a straight man.
I’m grinning from ear to ear!

Saskia, you make me blush:
I'm glad you got over your writer's block, this was one terrific story that goes right to my Kerth list (for as far as I have one then)
Awww! Thank you so much! And Kaethel too blush

Speaking of Kaethel (again <g>):
So... maybe I should start nagging for DBA now. Oops, wait, I've already started. Maybe I should continue then.
ROFL!!! All in good time. A certain evil writer got in first!! But, while I’m here, thank you for being such a terrific BR, nagger and cheerleader. You’re amazing!

Ahh... very nice. It's been great to read a long story from you again, Wendy. I love the shorter ones too, don't get me wrong, but a longer story just offers more scope...
<g> I’m working on it, Pam - and I could say the same to you! <g> I have a few longer stories as WIPs on my hard drive, and will try to get back to one of them very shortly.

Gabrielle, I’m not sure what you mean by this:
There is one thing that I would like alter and that is, could at least some the emotional tension between Lois and Clark be solved in the end?
I thought it was all solved; we’d had the ‘I love yous’ and lots of kisses and hugs, and as the story ends they’re a couple. Dating, at least, even if it’s far too soon for them to be thinking about anything else. Can you elaborate?

Pel... I’m speechless:
The story wasn't just about how two people meet, fall in love, and despite some other people's efforts, in the end they live 'happily ever after.'

For me, it was about how we find comfort in one another, how much we can learn and how a person is able to fill your sense of belonging, as we find a home in each other's hearts.

Love isn't about loving somebody despite of who he or she is, overlooking the weaknesses, pretending they don't exist - love is about loving somebody *because* of who they are, loving every part of that person. And if you're so lucky to experience that kind of love, as Lois and Clark did, your weaknesses become your strength as well, because they are a part of you.

We are all inspired in different ways, from different people, from what they tell us - but, as for myself, that is what touched me in particular, as it was described so beautifully in this story.
blush Now I’m blushing again! Thank you so much, both for this and for your wonderful emails with comments along the way. You are terrific! And I am so much looking forward to seeing you post that amazingly good story you’re writing. Hurry up and finish it!!

Thanks very much again to Kaethel, Karen, Saskia, Maria, Irene, Laura, Linda, Nan (I hope it’s gone!!), Tricia, Pam, Anna, Merry, Roger, Kathy, Sherry, Gabriele, Tank and Pelican. You’re all stars, IMO!!

Wendy smile

Just a fly-by! *waves*
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard