Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#51397 04/20/08 02:39 PM
Sheila Offline OP
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Wow! This story is just moving right along and I've enjoyed every chapter. I've been slack about feedback because school has just been a bear!

I think this story is absolutely fabulous and so full of emotions. There is a lot of sexual tension here and Lois has no idea. I am starting to think that Lois's friends are going to make her realize how fortunate she is to have Clark and make her realize how much he loves her. I think that Lois is already in love with him but is going to need a little push of assurance from her friends. The time with her friends is what she needs.

Lois sighed. "I guess I'm outvoted, but you know, I've only even been to like two high school dances in the last four years and that was to cover them for the paper." She shrugged. "They're just not important to me."
Clark wants to make sure that Lois doesn't miss out on any part of her high school experience and she is so busy thinking about everyone else that she is willing to forfeit her happiness.
"I would seriously bet money that she was. Lana was head over heels for you, from what you said in your letters, so I'm sure she was all aflutter too. And, I don't know Rachel, but you are kinda cute and a half decent guy to boot. Any girl would be crazy not to be crazy for you."
It slipped, but Lois does feel something for Clark, more than friendship.
Clark rolled his eyes and wished Lois were even a little crazy for him. "If you say so. I'm just glad Lana had moved on by then so I didn't have to deal with her thinking we were going together. My point is that even though I didn't have a steady girlfriend or anything, I'm glad I went. It's a once in a lifetime thing and I don't want you to miss it. That is if you don't mind taking an old married guy with you."
Clark caught that revelation, but made a joke out of the scenario so that Lois would not feel uncomfortable about her slip up.
"Well, yeah. And because then I get to be with the most beautiful woman here. And, uh, because I heard a couple girls talking about how they no longer believed you got married just to keep Lucy out of the system." He rested his hand on hers.

Her brows furrowed. "Why is that?"

He had the good manners to blush just a bit. "Um, they thought I was cute."

She looked him up and down critically. "I don’t think I'd say 'cute'."

He clasped a hand over his heart and pretended to swoon. "My ego..."

She turned to face him and straightened his tie with both hands. "Handsome, yes. Cute... well, in that monkey suit, you're way beyond cute. I can't believe they said cute."

He laughed self-consciously. "Well, they actually said 'hot'."

She turned and set her bag down on the chair in front of the plate with her name tag sitting on it. "Now that I believe."
Clark casually compliments Lois and lets her know how much it means to him that he's there with her. And Lois uses what her friends said to slip in her own compliment. Ahh, so much sexual tension!
"Hi, Dan."

"Call me Daniel, please. Can I have this dance?" He held out a hand.

"I'm married, remember?"

He shrugged. "That's okay. All I want is a dance."

She sighed. "Thanks, but no thanks."

"I’m not going to drag you off to my lair or something, Lois."

"Dan..." she started.
Oh no! Not Scardino! But I thought it was a unique idea. I would have done something like that! This Dan is a low life jerk. He doesn't seem to care that Lois is married. This is such a vulnerable time for Lois and Clark and Dan sees an opening.
A hand rested on her shoulder. "Honey, would you like to dance?" Clark turned to the other young man. "Hi, I'm Clark, Lois' husband." He held out his hand. "You are...?"

"Daniel." He took the offered hand and shook it quickly.

"Dan, you don't mind if I steal my wife for a dance do you?"

"Call me Daniel and, no, of course not."

Lois stood and Clark's hand rested on the small of her back as they walked over to the dance floor, where a slow song was playing. She moved into the circle of his arms. "Thank you."
And Clark to the rescue! And he called Lois "Honey". She didn't say anything if she caught it. Is she subconsciously just so used to Clark's affection or purposely ignoring it?
It raised an interesting question. She liked Clark a lot and she even loved him. He was her best friend, after all. But what if *the guy* for her came along and she was already married? She didn't believe that there really was a guy out there for her – she'd never told Clark that she'd actually sworn off marriage or why – but what if? What if Clark, regardless of his insistence that she was the only one for him, wasn't the only one for her? Would she leave him? Would he let her? Would she feel obligated to stay with him because of all he'd sacrificed for her and Lucy? Would he leave her first anyway? Was there a chance, slim as he made it sound, that he was already regretting tying himself down to her at such a young age? Her parents had shown her time and time again that marriage vows didn't necessarily mean anything. Would Clark actually be any different?
I think that Lois and Clark need to talk. Poor girl doesn't realize that she is with the man that is meant to be hers. Clark would fight to keep her but if she insisted, no matter what he has already said, he would let her go. It would kill him, but he would. I don't think Clark would try to make Lois feel guilty if she wanted to leave. He married her because he loved her. Yes, he's different and he's not like anyone else.
"He loves you, Lo. I can see in it the way he looks at you. That and he barely glanced at Jodi when she threw herself at him while you were in the bathroom."

"What?! Jodi was talking to him?" At the nod, she continued. "That hussy! He's wearing a wedding ring for crying out loud!" She glanced at Clark and saw him start to cough, but she knew he was just struggling to keep from laughing.

Peggy shrugged. "She doesn't care. She just saw a cute guy she hadn't either slept with or been turned down by and went for it. He smiled politely and told her that he wasn't interested."

Lois shook her head. "That sounds like Clark. He'd be nice to anyone. Even home breaking hussies."
What better confirmation for Lois than from the observations of friends that Clark is in love with her. These friends are good for Lois. And he turned down an attractive girl for her. Clark listening in on the conversations and then struggling to keep his composure is quite funny, too.

As always Carol, very nice! Loved it! I'll be looking for you on Wednesday!

~Sheila

I'm a firm believer in the fact that God doesn't put any more on us than we can bear. He does however make us come to Jesus every so often.
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Excellent section, Carol!

I didn't usually go with anyone in particular, but I did go with Lana a couple times and took Rachel to the prom, but it wasn't like you see on TV or whatever where the guy is all sweaty palms and the girl is all heart aflutter and..."

Lois snorted.

"What?"

"You may not have been all sweaty palms asking Rachel out, but 10 to 1 she was all heart aflutter."
Oh, my heart would be aflutter, that's for sure. drool

He had the good manners to blush just a bit. "Um, they thought I was cute."

She looked him up and down critically. "I don’t think I'd say 'cute'."

He clasped a hand over his heart and pretended to swoon. "My ego..."

She turned to face him and straightened his tie with both hands. "Handsome, yes. Cute... well, in that monkey suit, you're way beyond cute. I can't believe they said cute."

She turned and set her bag down on the chair in front of the plate with her name tag sitting on it. "Now that I believe."
Love it!!!

It was great to see Lois with some friends, too. I think I always got the impression that Lois didn't really have friends when she was in high school, even though I know that isn't true.

I really love this story. I can't wait for the next part on Wednesday!

F
Kerth
Kerth
F
Nicely done. I especially liked introspective Lois.
Lois was deep in thought...But what if *the guy* for her came along and she was already married?
Ok you've dragged in "Call me Daniel" so when do we meet the series of buxom blondes chasing after Clark? Rachel and Lana have been placed in the past, what about Mayson and ....

Any chance that you can have Lois and Clark do some world traveling at some point?

Framework4
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
She gave a resigned sigh. "Fine. Sunday Night Baseball it is."
*Chuckle* Way to take married life like a pro, Lois.

And really, what's all this 'what-if-I-meet-the-right-man' talk? Blah, blah, blah, c'mon, you married the perfect guy, Lois! Take an eyeful or two of to whom you said 'I do!'

Great part, Carol!
JD

"Meg...who let you back in the house?" -Family Guy
E
Merriwether
Merriwether
E
This has to be one of my favorite parts, Carol. Lois takes a long hard look at what she's giving up, the life that is considered normal for a teenage girl.

She also looks at the unexpected blessings:
She moved her head from Clark's shoulder and looked around. The stars were a million times clearer and a million times closer than they had ever been before.
and
"I'm glad they did it." Lois spoke softly.

He turned to look at her. "What?"

"I'm glad they sent you here, to me."

Clark smiled softly at her. "Me too."
I also enjoyed watching Lois looking at Clark through someone else's eyes.

Ahem... Yes, Lois. Didn't you notice he was hot?

Peggy rolled her eyes. "Lois, puppies are cute. Clark is way beyond cute. If the most adorable puppy ever is a 9 on the 10 point cute scale, Clark is a hundred and fifteen."

Debbie nodded. "Seriously. Tom Cruise would be the before, and Clark the after. The way, way after."

Julie sighed dreamily. "Okay, maybe not 'way way after' Tom Cruise, but he's way cuter than you ever let on."

Peggy held out a hand, palm down, near her lap. "If this is guys like Michael J. Fox and Kirk Cameron and Ricky Schroeder who are cute and possibly well-built, but not hot..." She held her other hand about six inches above the first. "...and this is the guys like Patrick Swayze and Mel Gibson and Harrison Ford..." She moved her first hand a foot above the second. "... and this is all the guys in the Brat Pack rolled into one..." Her second hand moved slightly above the first, so that it was just above eye level. "...then this is Clark."

Lois raised a brow. "Are you guys serious? Yeah, he's great looking, but I didn't think you'd put him on that level. *I* would obviously, but I didn't think you guys would."
A part of her realizes that Clark is hot, but a part of her still fights that. It's interesting for her to face the truth of how attractive he really is. But, of course, it's not just his outward features which make him attractive. It's also how committed he is to her. Her friends know that he's hopelessly devoted to her, to quote an old song.

It was also fun to see all of the heart-throbs from back in the days I was in high school. You missed Ralph Machio, but other than that be still my heart.

Your mention of Call-me-Daniel was fun. He's giving her strange art in hopes of getting a date with her even in high school. The other suitor is a perfect oppurtunity for Lois to think about what might have been and what might be.
They continued to move to the music, but Lois was deep in thought. Dan was weird. That was a given, but he had asked her to dance tonight even though he knew she was married. It raised an interesting question. She liked Clark a lot and she even loved him. He was her best friend, after all. But what if *the guy* for her came along and she was already married? She didn't believe that there really was a guy out there for her – she'd never told Clark that she'd actually sworn off marriage or why – but what if? What if Clark, regardless of his insistence that she was the only one for him, wasn't the only one for her? Would she leave him? Would he let her? Would she feel obligated to stay with him because of all he'd sacrificed for her and Lucy? Would he leave her first anyway? Was there a chance, slim as he made it sound, that he was already regretting tying himself down to her at such a young age? Her parents had shown her time and time again that marriage vows didn't necessarily mean anything. Would Clark actually be any different?
It's only normal for her to have these worries. She's so young. Even though she feels like she made the right decision, she worries about what the consequences of her actions will be. It's so sad that she doesn't feel free to share her fears with her husband.

Her friends don't understand what her new life is like. They just assumed she was busy. They don't realize that they skirt the edges of getting by financially. They also don't realize how much work it is for her now.
"Seriously?" Julie raised an eyebrow at her. "You don't have money for prom?
A great part.

Elisabeth

PS Is watching baseball that marital duty my great-aunt talked about which sounded so awful?

Columnist
Columnist
Great part Carol. I really liked seeing Lois with her husband in a high school setting. It was good to see how different her life is now that she's married.

And call-me-Daniel was great!

T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
I'm just going to chime in and say that I really like how this story is progressing. It was fun seeing Lois becoming almost-jealous when Debbie and her gang were ogling Clark. And I have to agree with Beth, seeing "Call-me-Daniel" at this stage of Lois's life was so much fun, too!

Looking forward to more of this!

Ann

Merriwether
Merriwether
Will Clark get to see a certain "You're in my mind like a touchdown pass..." message from Joe?

I think, therefore, I get bananas.

When in doubt, think about time travel conundrums. You'll confuse yourself so you can forget what you were in doubt about.

What's the difference between ignorance, apathy, and ambivalence?
I don't know and I don't care one way or the other.
Top Banana
Top Banana
Yay Carol! My suggestion made the list so as a reward you get feedback, even if it's only to say I'm still reading and enjoying your story. thumbsup

When Life Gives You Green Velvet Curtains, Make a Green Velvet Dress.
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Online Content
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
The prom. Nice, Carol. So many scenes deserving more comments and here I am, just quoting one bit grumble

They continued to move to the music, but Lois was deep in thought. Dan was weird. That was a given, but he had asked her to dance tonight even though he knew she was married. It raised an interesting question. She liked Clark a lot and she even loved him. He was her best friend, after all. But what if *the guy* for her came along and she was already married? She didn't believe that there really was a guy out there for her – she'd never told Clark that she'd actually sworn off marriage or why – but what if? What if Clark, regardless of his insistence that she was the only one for him, wasn't the only one for her? Would she leave him? Would he let her? Would she feel obligated to stay with him because of all he'd sacrificed for her and Lucy? Would he leave her first anyway? Was there a chance, slim as he made it sound, that he was already regretting tying himself down to her at such a young age? Her parents had shown her time and time again that marriage vows didn't necessarily mean anything. Would Clark actually be any different?
I might almost get worried at such musings. But then, it might actually be a good thing if Lois decided she wants to be *married* married to *the guy*.

Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
C
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
C
I will admit to being slightly annoyed when no one noticed what one of the most important lines was [IMO of course], but then I realized it wasn't in this part wink . Silly me!

Sheila - I can relate to the school thing believe me! She is willing to forfeit happiness, but I'm not sure she thinks she deserves it either - that it's just the way life is. Hey - I'm happily married and I can admit that Clark is a good looking guy - surely Lois can appreciate him from a purely aesthetical standpoint right? wink hehe - Dan was a stroke of inspiration when someone [Gr8? Elisabeth?] asked about her thoughts about her own Mr. Right. Don't worry he'll be back. /me runs and hides. I think she thought the 'honey' was mostly for Dan's benefit because he'd surely heard her trying to get rid of him. And I knew there was no way he wouldn't hear that conversation! Or at least the pertinent parts!

Rona - thank you smile . My heart would have been all aflutter too had a Clark asked me out - for any reason - in high school. The friends - all 6 of them - were characters from IASW. I know we didn't know if they all went to school together or just one of each couple, but I took it as all of them [because I'm the author and I can do those things wink ] and mixed the couples up. At least a couple of them will be back in the future, but not for a while.

Framework - now you wouldn't want me to give away too much would you? And who says Rachel and Lana are in the past? /me is glad she's already hiding

JD - LOL! I love baseball personally. We were introducing ourselves in Sunday School last weekend [Hi I'm Carol and this is my hubby 'name' and we've been married almost 11 years and then answer a question] and last week's question was where would you go if you could go anywhere - us and another couple decided we wanted to visit all the baseball stadiums in the country [we're going to ride in their back seat so it's cheaper for us wink ].

Elisabeth - I'm glad you're enjoying this. She's about to do a lot more thinking about what life would be like. Again - I'm sure Lois can appreciate him for a good-looking male. As for the last line of the 4th quote [and sorry about leaving out Ralph Machio - but wasn't he part of the Brat Pack?], I took it as part of her continued front that they got married because they were in love and so of course she'd think he was cuter than all the others - that they'd just moved the date up a few years. Maybe that wasn't clear though... hmm... will ponder it...

And I don't think it was baseball your aunt was talking about - but if she was a Cubs fan it might have been wink .

Beth - Thanks! I do love Dan [not really - but Anna does so I had to work him in somewhere - the FDK comment mentioned earlier gave me a good spot too - even though I don't think Anna's reading this - but that's okay smile ]

Ann - Thanks!

Woody - good question! I'll have to ponder that one!

Gr8 - Glad to hear it! And it was more fun to mention lots of the 80s guys than trying to pick just one [especially since I'm apparently in the minority for a bunch of them - I mean Patrick Swayze? Really?]

Michael - Thank you smile . Yes it would be a good thing, but our favorite couple does still have a thing or two to overcome before life gets 'easy' for them...

Thanks again everyone!!! Bonus points to anyone who picks out the line I mentioned at the beginning of this post in the next segment!

Carol

Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Carol,
Thank you for these nice long chapters! I am enjoying this story so much. I especially like this part because we Lois and Clark get to be teenagers again (very responsibles ones but teenagers nonetheless!). I am glad their aunt made them go. They certainly do deserve some fun time together and maybe Lois would have regretted not going to the prom later on. And I am relieved that Lois has friends in school and that they are now all trying to make an effort to stay in touch!
Looking forward to the next part!
Natascha

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard