Next Thread
Print Thread
C
carolm Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
C
What exactly does 'soon' mean? It's so subjective. Tonight? Tomorrow? Before Memorial Day? wink

I don't think I posted on the last part[s?] and I apologize for that.

I loved Lois and Jory and her mom.

I'm willing to cut Clark a little bit more slack. But only a little.

At the same time... I'm not sure why it *has* to fall to Clark to be Jory's dad. He's not. He was cloned from Clark and so Clark should want to make sure he's taken care of or something but why Martha is insisting that he be a father... that may be taking it a bit far. I can understand why M/J can't do it with Jonathan's failing health, and I think Clark *should* WANT to do it but... I think he's kind of stuck with it. They can't tell anyone else what's going on for a lot of reasons - including his secret, but I'm of mixed feelings about this.

I'm slightly more sympathetic to his lack of connection with Jory in a "Three Men and Baby" kind of way. Mom shows up with a child Dad didn't know existed and Dad doesn't know what to do from there but figures it out eventually. Though I hope Clark doesn't end up marrying Jory's 'mother' wink .

Oh, I'm conflicted.

And that's good in the 'it's a fic' kind of way wink .

I'm glad they're closing in on Lana but worried at the same time. She knows how to hurt Clark and would do so without compunction. Being in league with Jason Trask [who I'm not convinced is dead] and Lex Luthor makes it worse.

So, when is 'soon' again?!?!
Carol

Kerth
Kerth
Very minor typo

"he went rouge."

Should be rogue.

Marcus L. Rowland
Forgotten Futures, The Scientific Romance Role Playing Game
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Originally posted by Marcus Rowland:
Very minor typo

"he went rouge."

Should be rogue.
Oops! Fixed now- awesome. Thanks! Lol, "he went red."

And 'soon' is definitely subjective... let's call it 'tonight' by west coastian standards wink

October Sands, An Urban Fairy Tale featuring Lois and Clark
"Elastigirl? You married Elastigirl? (sees the kids) And got bizzay!" -- Syndrome, The Incredibles
C
carolm Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
C
Originally posted by sunrei:
[

And 'soon' is definitely subjective... let's call it 'tonight' by west coastian standards wink
Oooooo hyper hyper hyper hyper hyper

So sometime in the next 9 hours?

/me hopes she meant west coast of the US and not West Coast of Europe or something where it's already tomorrow and so won't be 'tonight' for quite some time

Carol

Columnist
Columnist
I like how Clark accepts her help to go find Lana, and also his earlier assumption that she would take care of Jory. I think he's really starting to trust her.

T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
So there is this connection between Trask, Lana and Luthor. Each of them wanted to take down Clark, each for his or her separate reasons. I like how you explained how Lana used Trask more than she helped him, because she was the one who wanted to clone Clark, not Trask.

I guess we need to suspend disbelief a little to be able to believe that a student fresh out of med school would be able to make a human clone singlehandedly, but it is possible, as far as I know. (Okay, so Jory is not a human clone, but...) You know what is impossible, though? Absolutely, totally impossible? It's the presence of meteors from Krypton on the Earth. You realize what that implies? The meteors must have travelled faster than light, or else very close to light speed, across many light years of space until they finally hit Earth - and do you realize how unbelievably tiny the Earth is compared with the mindboggling distance we ask those meteors to travel before they reach the Earth? By which time they had magically transformed themselves from some ordinary mineral into the one substance in the universe that is deadly to Clark Kent, to boot! The idea of the meteors making that journey (and transsubstantiating on the way) is so much more unlikely than the idea of someone pulling off a terrorist act by, say, releasing a couple of kites - perfectly ordinary kites - from Afghanistan, and hoping that they will cross the Atlantic, home in on Washington D.C., zero in on the White House, and explode the White House because they will magically have turned into nuclear missiles on their way! Uh. No, that's not likely.

[Linked Image]
Washington D.C., beware of the kites?

I liked to see how Clark seemed more relaxed around Lois in this chapter, so that he seemed willing to trust her more.

Here are some tidbits I enjoyed:

I mean, the country certainly doesn't suffer from a lack of billionaires… Bruce Wayne, Oliver Queen, Bill Church, Simon Stagg, Dick Branson, Doiby Dickles…”
Ha! We sure recognize some of those names. What about the others, though? Doiby Dickles? That's the funniest name I've heard for a while!

I loved this:

Clark smiled, thankful that she always seemed to be on the same page with him. He slid his chair back and stood up. “I think I'll go take another look…”

“Wait a minute. What about Jory?”

Clark turned to face her – he was almost halfway across the living room. “If the trail leads me to Lana, like I think it will, she should have the information we need to save him.”

“No,” Lois said, crossing the room to stand in front of him. “I meant, who is going to watch him?”

“Oh… Well, if you can't keep him tonight …”

“You think that I'm going to let you confront that woman alone?”
This Lois seems more comptetent somehow than the Lois we saw in the show. I think she should be able to actually give Clark - Superman - a bit more backup than she was usually able to do in the show.

I loved this conversation about a mountain and a doorbell, too:

Do you see anything else? Maybe a bigger hill?”

Clark blinked and turned to look at her. “No, not a bigger hill,” he said. “A mountain. About another 20 miles further inland from the guard stand.”

“Wow. I don't suppose we can just walk up and ring the doorbell, huh? Do mountains have doorbells?” Lois threaded her fingers through the strands of her ponytail and sighed. “But before we even think about getting *inside*, how do we even get to the door? I mean – 100 miles is too far for most intelligence systems, but what about cameras?” Her eyes grew wide. “What if they are watching us right now?”

“I scanned before we landed. There are no cameras, antennas, or receivers out this far. I think they would be too afraid of what would happen if they were found. No evidence is good evidence.” Clark bent down and picked up a fistful of sandy dirt. “But I think I have an idea for how we can make it to the mountain without the guards seeing – cameras and all.”

Lois looked at the dirt that was streaming from Clark's hand quizzically. “And after that?”

“After that?” Clark repeated. He brushed his hands clean. “After that, I guess we ring the doorbell.”
So funny!

Lois smirked and stepped closer when Clark stood. It wasn't much of a plan –and usually plans came out better when they were thought through, but then there were times like these when risks had to be taken. Considering the importance of the information they had come out here to find – risk was warranted. “You take the lead.”
Wow! It's Clark who jumps in head first without checking the water level!

Clark nodded curtly and reached out for her forearm. “Whatever you do, keep your eyes closed. When it starts blowing, sand is like glass.”
Is he going to create a sandstorm and move the two of them inside it toward the mountain? Wowzers. You know, I think that more than Lois's eyes may object to that. What about her breathing?

Fascinating as always, Sonia.

Ann

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Great story and I'm enjoying it, but I'm confused about the "closer to the Earth's core" statement. The elevation of Rachel, NV is 4970 feet, higher than some mountains. For pictures, go here: http://www.rachel-nevada.com/ . Now I've always loved Area 51 stories and the description of the Extraterrestrial Highway was good, but maybe you'd like to explain more? Feel free to e-mail me and maybe I can help out.
regards
Artemis

History is easy once you've lived it. - Duncan MacLeod
Writing history is easy once you've lived it. - Artemis
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Originally posted by Artemis:
Great story and I'm enjoying it, but I'm confused about the "closer to the Earth's core" statement. The elevation of Rachel, NV is 4970 feet, higher than some mountains. For pictures, go here: http://www.rachel-nevada.com/ . Now I've always loved Area 51 stories and the description of the Extraterrestrial Highway was good, but maybe you'd like to explain more? Feel free to e-mail me and maybe I can help out.
regards
Artemis
I'm sure there's a scientific answer out there, but basically what I was insinuating was that it's a bit harder to build underground in that part of the country than it would be say in 'New Troy' or New York area. I have lived in a couple of different areas around the US: MidWest, North, Southwest, and while it certainly is possible to build basements anywhere, they usually don't do it in... Phoenix, for instance. The ground is very hard (rock essentially) and it takes special machinery, more days, and more money. Now, I haven't lived in Hiko, NV, so I apologize if I was mistaken and the ground around there is less of a barrier. smile

October Sands, An Urban Fairy Tale featuring Lois and Clark
"Elastigirl? You married Elastigirl? (sees the kids) And got bizzay!" -- Syndrome, The Incredibles
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Basically we don't build basements in the west because there was lots of land and it was just cheaper to pour a slab of concrete. Some people do have basements, though. Also that area of Nevada is full of mines, which took a lot of digging by hand, yet was possible. People are very motivated looking for gold or valuable minerals. The mines were dug before the government came and bought up the land and so are still there. They were also easy to enlarge by the government.

[Linked Image]

Anyway, I'm enjoying your alt universe. More soon!
regards
Artemis

C
carolm Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
C
There's also not the NEED for basements like there is the Midwest. When we moved from the medium sized city where we lived to a small town literally 10 miles from our old house, we KNEW we needed a basement. The city RARELY gets tornadoes. The town we're in now has had 3 already this year, including one that tore part of the roof off of the school next door to my oldest daughter's school [but it was nighttime]. Without a basement, we wouldn't have anywhere nearly as safe to go. You just don't need those in Arizona [we had one tornado warning in the 12 years I lived in Phoenix and I don't think there was actually a tornado].

Carol

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Yes, Carol is right. I can't believe I forgot about tornados. We don't have any. Or heavy rain storms like the midwest. We have earthquakes, but I'll take them any time over a tornado.
cool
Artemis

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard