Print Thread
#51222 04/14/08 03:59 AM
T
TOC Offline OP
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
I'm not the one who should start this thread since I have so little time, but since no one else has replied so far...

Your story remains sweet and poignant. A lot of the interaction between Lois and Clark in this chapter was heartwarming:

She smiled slightly and then continued. "That's why darling, it's incredible that someone so unforgettable , thinks that I am unforgettable too."

They did little more than sway together in time to the music as the instrumental interlude floated in the air. When it was time for the lyrics to continue, Lois began to sing quietly again. "Unforgettable, in every way. And forevermore that is how you will stay. That's why, darling, it's incredible that someone so unforgettable thinks that I am unforgettable too."

The applause picked up again as the song came to an end.

The man came back to the microphone. "So, not only do we have a handsome couple who can dance, but a beautiful woman who can sing."

"Clark," Lois hissed as she smacked him on the chest. "I didn't think anyone else could hear me."

Clark smiled at her. "You sounded wonderful."
That's so sweet! I really think that Lois meant what she was singing - Clark is unforgettable, and she is happy to be married to him. Even though she doesn't love him like that.

He loved her. He somehow knew he had loved her the first time he saw her in line at journalism camp. Ever since he had first kissed her the day before they left camp and then at their wedding and later that night when they had found themselves kissing in their sleep, he had longed to take her in his arms and kiss her like she deserved to be kissed.

His arm tightened around her slightly, the flannel of what she claimed were her most comfortable pajamas sitting softly against his arm.

How on earth did he expect to keep his feelings to himself when he was so close to her all night every night? When he longed to not just hold her, but to kiss her and make love with her as married couples were wont to do?

Well, he had already availed himself of the shower – the cold side of it – once and had taken a quick trip to the arctic last night after their make out session on the couch.
And you just have to love Clark here. He loves Lois, and he will be an infinitely patient man for her sake, even if he'll have to cool off repeatedly in the Arctic.

And how did he plan to explain to her that he was an alien? Somehow he knew she'd understand, but would she feel slighted that she hadn't been allowed to choose for herself? To make the decision to marry him with all of the facts?
This isn't good, though. Clark need to tell Lois soon.

"I can drive all night and get there mid-afternoon on Friday in case Wayne needs me to sign anything or whatever. I can get a good night's sleep and pack up on Saturday and leave either late Saturday or very early Sunday and try to be home late Sunday night."

"I don't think so. Not by yourself. I'll go with you." She stabbed her fork into her salad and took a bite.

He sighed. "Lois, you have two finals on Friday."

She slumped back in her seat, defeated. "I know. I just don't want you to have to drive all that way by yourself."
I love that she cares so much about him, so that she doesn't want him to drive so far all by himself. Not that she knows that she needn't have worried.

I really liked that they both wanted to do their share to keep their little household afloat financially.

The UNGAME was fascinating, and the end of this chapter was lovely:

'Describe divorce in three words.'" Clark held up a finger with each word. "Not. Gonna. Happen." At Lois' look, he continued. "I think that as long as we care about each other, we can work through anything. Any problems we have. At least that's what I want. What my parents taught me."

"Even if you fall in love with someone else?" Lois looked at her hands, unwilling or unable to make herself look at him.

In an instant he was kneeling by her on the couch. One finger lifted her chin so she had to face him. "Lois, I know you aren't in love with me and I know it's hard for you to believe that I am truly in love with you because we know each other so little really. But I promise you, that is never going to happen. You are the only woman in the world for me. Ever. Period. End of discussion. I knew the second I bumped into you at Journalism Camp that someday, somehow I would find you again and I would marry you."

Tears had begun to stream down Lois' face. "Are you sure, Clark? Even if it's been ten years and I am still not ready to..." she gestured towards the bedroom. "...you know."

"Ten years?" An eyebrow raised. "I hope it's not that long, Lois, but I will wait for you, however long it takes, I promise." He pulled her close to him. "I promise," he whispered.
Beautiful!

But he so needs to tell Lois about his "difference", though! And soon!

Ann

Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
What a sweet chapter. And I just knew you stacked the deck.

The Ungame 1: You are a very bad person, torturing Clark like that. Only Lois is allowed to torture Clark.

The Ungame 2: Can you say: BIG HINT. How many opening does our favorite lunkhead need anyway to come clean. But still, so nice smile

Lois response to the divorce-question: I'm not sure if Lois really is only worried only about Clark falling in love with someone else. The earlier comment made me wonder:
Lois rolled her eyes, admitting to herself, yet again, that this marriage was more serious to Clark than it was to her.
Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
Columnist
Columnist
Very nice chapter!

While I don't think Clark needed to tell her about his abilities when they first got married, he is already finding that he has to prevaricate in order to cover up some things. This is when he needs to tell her.

So I'm looking forward to finding out when he does!

E
Merriwether
Merriwether
E
I just knew he made a trip to the arctic. Imagine Clark there all alone, sitting on an iceberg, reading letters from Martha and trying not to think about kissing Lois.

Thanks so much for another great part. Thanks even more for stacking the deck.

If you find space in this short little story of yours to explore Lois' worries that someday she runs into the man of her dreams and she can't do anything about it because she's a married woman, I'd appreciate it. She has to have concerns, especially at her age with things happening so fast to her.

Elisabeth

A
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
A
This is a great part. I'm really enjoying this story. Again, I'm not going to say too much because I tend to read these parts in relation to later ones.

- Alisha (who is by no means trying to appease Carol who seems to be gettng slighty frustrated with her. wink )

C
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
C
Well, you should be trying to appease me with FIC in my inbox [and not just those scenes you just sent back either]! You guys should *see* the teaser she sent me the other day!!! And she won't send me anymore!

Carol [who contemplates what Elisabeth says and will respond to the rest later]

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Very well done. I think you captured the characters emotions right on. Beautiful! Laura

Clark: “If we can be born in an instant, and die in an instant, why can’t we fall in love in an instant?”

Caroline's "Stardust"
C
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
C
Hey guys! Thank you again for the FDK.

It has been progressing - but remember how part 8 turned into part 8 and 9? Well, part 13 turned into 13-15 and isn't done yet *sigh*. I think I can wrap it up in 15... Then the next 3 are done after that.

Ann - Clark is unforgettable isn't he? And she doesn't even know about the flying yet wink . He surprised me yesterday with something about the Arctic - and yes, he has been there a lot, especially in the early days - but no, there's no secret lair or anything.

Michael - I promise - the only ones I threw out of deck one when I drew them were the 'say something about anything' ones [because I didn't know what to have them say] and the ones like the musical instrument one [I left one in] because they didn't help at all. Deck 2 was stacked totally against Clark wink .

Beth - thank you! He does tell her soon... but as we've discovered with "Above Alt Else", soon is a relative term wink .

Elisabeth - that is a good image - I never thought about him taking the letters with him because I thought of him reading them somewhere the day before - maybe even back at the farm or something. I did add something to a section coming up with Lois thinking about what might happen if she met someone now that she's married - we'll also find out a little bit more about Lois' views on marriage in general.

Alisha - SLIGHTLY FRUSTRATED!?!? Okay - the second part you sent helped. Some. A little bit. I'm going to need more soon - I sent you those smoochies you wanted!!! devil

Laura - thank you smile .

Yes, Clark's revelation is coming as are more of Lois' views about relationships/marriage in general - though I'm not sure how soon on those - but soon.

Thanks again! Look for part 6 late tonight Midwest time.

Carol

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard