Next Thread
Print Thread
T
TOC Offline OP
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
I can't understand why you haven't received any FDK on this yet, Kevin. It's absolutely delightful and full of the most delicious humour!

If there were corrupt corporate sharks ready to seize control of the new power source, or if the generator ran off Soylent Green, I'd be on it in a heartbeat. Exposing the naked underbelly of criminals -- that's my job. I'm just not interested in writing about plasma and quirks and protons."

"Quarks, Lois."
Hah! Great start! Sharks, naked underbellies, plasma, quirks and quarks! (Although I don't get that Soylent Green thing. EDIT: Okay, I looked it up - it's a futuristic sci-fi food product made of recycled human cadavers. Oh, and about the picture - sorry, couldn't resist:)

[Linked Image]

"That's what I mean! You seem to read the encyclopedia for fun, and know more than anyone who's not wearing a white lab coat about this stuff. You probably get Scientific American magazine, *no*, I'll bet you *write* for Scientific American in your spare time, not that we have much. Spare time, that is.
Deliciously "flavored" Lois babbling (seeing we are partly talking about quarks, which come in six "flavors"). laugh

You know a quark from a quirk, a proton from a futon, and are leaving me in the lurch on this story!
rotflol (And I had to look up a futon just for this!)

[Linked Image]

(And a photon, by the way, is a "unit" or a "package" of light:)

[Linked Image]

Clark laughed at her babble. It was one of the million things that kept him, like a trapped electron, as close in orbit to Lois Lane as possible.
Clark as a trapped electron orbiting Lois. I love it.

"Just take good notes, Lois. I've got the technical sidebar already started and will be more than happy to get your electrons excited in it."
Clark is going to be more than happy to get Lois's electrons excited! You're killing me, Kevin! I'm such an astronomy buff, and I've had to learn about excited electrons thanks to this kind of thing:

[Linked Image]

This is a tight group of hot blue stars, surrounded by dust lanes and a cloud of hydrogen gas. The stars give off a lot of ultraviolet light, and when an ultraviolet photon hits a hydrogen atom, it knocks the electron into a higher orbit around the proton. Voila, we have got an excited electron! And when the electron falls back into its original orbit again it gives off red light, hence the red light in the picture. Wow! I can just see Clark exciting Lois's electrons, causing Lois to glow with a red red light! rotflol

[Linked Image]

(So this isn't really Lois, but....)

Lois glanced at him, not sure whether he'd just made a pun, a pass at her, or both.
I think it was a pass!

By the way, quarks. I'll quote Answers.com for what they actually are:

n.

Any of a group of six elementary particles having electric charges of a magnitude one-third or two-thirds that of the electron, regarded as constituents of all hadrons.
Hadrons, by the way, are protons and neutrons and possibly something else that I don't know about. A proton, incidentally, is supposedly made up of two "up" quarks, which have a charge of +2/3, and one "down" quark, having a charge of -1/3. This gives the proton a total charge of +1. So this is supposedly a proton - note the two "up" quarks and the one "down" quark:

[Linked Image]

(Ain't "atom-ology" beautiful? laugh )

But hey, the very name, quark! This is where it comes from, according to Answers.com:

[From Three quarks for Muster Mark!, a line in Finnegans Wake by James Joyce.]
Delightful! Delightful! I love stories that makes me look up things and wonder about concepts and words, and makes me wonder how they apply to the world of LnC!

"I guess so, Farmboy! Who else in this office could put up with your high maintenance but me? Good thing I have an excess of patience -- it's fortunate for you that Perry saw my ability to handle you, and paired us up!"

Now it was Clark's turn to be stunned, before joining in her laughter. Patience, her? High maintenance, him? If Clark didn't know that Lois made her living with words, he'd suspect a sort of pronoun dyslexia.
Pronoun dyslexia! So that you don't know the difference between me and you, he and she! Kevin, you are killing me!!! rotflol

And not only that, but you make me write FDK that takes a long time to compose. And I'm writing this in the morning before I'm off to work, and I have just run out of time! So even though I have barely scratched the surface of this fic, I will have to stop writing now. But I so, so hope that others will give this story a chance, even if they don't get the slightest kick out of quarks and excited electrons. But, people, there is a strip-tease in this story, and I'm just saying... YOU MUSTN'T MISS IT!!!! Seriously!!!!

Ann

C
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
C
I read this earlier and haven't had a chance to post yet.

Ann - you should edit the fdk title to include the strip tease thing;).

I loved it! I would love to see what happens next!
Carol

C
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
C
LOL Ann! Perfect!
Carol

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
LOL on the strip tease<g> Laura

Clark: “If we can be born in an instant, and die in an instant, why can’t we fall in love in an instant?”

Caroline's "Stardust"
Kerth
Kerth
Not Clark's brightest day, ditto Tempus and the guys from the future wink

Marcus L. Rowland
Forgotten Futures, The Scientific Romance Role Playing Game
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Online Content
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
I definitely didn't expect a Superlois in there. Great. And Tempus getting thrown around party

I already read pt 2 in the archive and well laugh

Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
E
Merriwether
Merriwether
E
I liked the Soylent Green reference.

I wondered if this were real or another sci-fi reference.
"Call 911. Tell them it's Superman. We may need a Medivac unit. Dr. Klein, please come help me."
What's a Medivac? Is it used somewhere outside the USA or is it from a role-playing game? Maybe military? It sounds military.

I must admit, though, I wasted w-a-y too much time thinking about an absolutely metal free environment. Lois' canvas shoes probably have metal around each shoelace eye-hole (whatever they're called), not to mention jewelry, belts, dental work, bras blush ... Even plastic pens usually have metal springs inside. To find every scrap of metal you would have to x-ray everybody and look over the pictures with a fine tooth comb. This story definately put the sci back in sci-fi.

Elisabeth

M
Merriwether
Merriwether
M
Clark laughed at her babble. It was one of the million things that kept him, like a trapped electron, as close in orbit to Lois Lane as possible.
Fabulous line!

You've shown wonderful humor here. "blabbonium", indeed!

He turned his head, seeing the bolt of energy racing evenly alongside his body, competing to reach Lois first.
Great imagery!

It wasn't the reaction of a rubbernecker, but instead, the fear of a child seeing an adult injured. Uncertain of how to help, or even if help were possible, they stood and held their breath, waiting for Superman to rise, to get up, for things to be right again.
You use language so well; I can feel what the crowd is feeling right in my gut.

I guess you're right. I've got some of them."

"How can you tell, just from looking at me?"

She looked guilty for a moment. "Well, I, um, looked. I guess the Suit does come off."
rotflol

I need Clark, though, Superman. I mean, you're a friend and all, but for this, I really, really need Clark.
Oh! *sniffle*

If she had arrived from Krypton instead of him, Clark had no doubt that Metropolis would be now crime-free and all nations would live as one.
I don't doubt it!

I love that she doesn't believe that Superman is Clark.

"Hold still, so I can clobber you!" she hollered, throwing the other coconut before turning to grab more.

Bonk! Clark figured that discretion was the better part of valor. He ran.
This has got to be one of the funniest revelations I have ever read!

"Shut up, Clark. Now toddle off back to the future, Lora, and leave us be."
We need a new Kerth category - Best Kick-A$$ Lois Lane. This story would win hands down. I love this woman!

Kevin, this is a fabulous story. I'm so glad you found the boards and decided to post!

lisa in the sky with diamonds
Top Banana
Top Banana
Absolutely loved it!! Looking forward to reading more of your stories... thumbsup thumbsup

If she had to move heaven and Earth, perhaps come back to haunt Perry and explain the story after they'd killed her, she would do it.

Waking a Miracle by Aria
Blogger
Blogger
Thank you all for the kind words. I love Lois in all her moods, but when she is feisty the air crackles! She and Lora (Future Girl) have met and will meet again. Poor Lora. It won't get any easier dealing with Lois. shock

Good spotting on the problems with the need for total elimination of metal from the generation chamber. Some had to exist to propel the story (and of course it was Linda King that ruined things) and I agonized over how to put some in there without blowing credibility. I went so far as to imagine the STAR Labs crew checking for dental fillings, and just decided, "eh," and went with it!

Medivac (also called Medevac) units are hospital transport flights via helicopter. Sort of an airborne paramedic crew.

Thank you, Ann, for the wonderful comments & images! I minored in physics and chemistry at college, and I'll admit they do creep into my stories at times. I majored in zoology, so I snuck in a gecko reference, much like Clark did during his interview at the Planet. Not that it got him the job, of course.

I am so very glad to have discovered the boards, and am most pleasantly surprised at how welcoming and kind everyone is. It is especially gratifying when I see an author whom I enjoy reading, commenting on one of my bits of purple prose! blush

Two wrongs don't make a right. But three lefts do.
Nan Offline
Kerth
Kerth
Lol to the Lois babbles. It was like listening to Teri Hatcher and Dean Cain doing one of those scenes in the show. Wonderful.

And kudos to Lois for telling off "future girl". Just who the heck gave her the right to mess with Lois's powers, anyway? Didn't it ever occur to her that Lois might have had the powers and it just didn't get into the history books? After all, Lois happened before Lora did!

Nan

Earth is the insane asylum for the universe.

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard