Print Thread
#49150 01/17/08 04:27 PM
T
TOC Offline OP
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
What did you do with little kids? Feed them, water them, sing to them? Well, that's what you did with house plants anyway. And even Lois accepted she was notoriously bad at keeping those alive.
rotflol That was just hilarious! Poor Lois! Poor Kal! Ah, but I think Kal will be all right.

This, too, was priceless:

"Hello?" she said into the receiver, watching as Kal stared after her.

"Lois? It's Clark."

"Clark!" Kal must have overheard. "Clark," he said again, pointing at himself.

And now...

Lois put one hand over the receiver. "No honey, you are Kal." She pointed to Kal. "And, er, this is Clark." She gestured towards the phone. Now he's going to think all phones are called 'Clark.' She stifled a giggle.

Teaching English was tough.
Kal knows that he is Clark! How and why does he know it? (And when will Lois figure it out?)

"Mmm, mmm, apple pie." Kal pointed at the stove.

Lois answered, and was surprised to hear the voice of Jonathon. "Hi there, Lois. Clark asked me to call and let you know we're back at his apartment. He's in the kitchen helping Martha find a pie pan. Mmm, mmm, apple pie--I can't wait."
Kal remembers hearing Jonathan say 'Mmm, mmm, apple pie'! How can he remember it? It is as if he remembers two time lines at the same time - one time line where he came to the Earth as a baby and grew up with Martha and Jonathan, and one where he stayed on Krypton with Jor-el and Lara until he was four.

He took a step towards them when a bright blast of heat and light forced Lois to turn away. She stumbled away from the heat, only to turn and see the man had caught on fire. He dropped to the ground screaming, rolling to put out the flames. They seemed to be dying away quickly. Lois picked Kal up and ran.
Who set that man on fire? I don't think adult Clark would do that - he would just disarm the man and maybe burn his fingers. Four-year-old Kal might use his superpowers to cause an accident, of course. But how can four-year-old Kal have superpowers? "Our" Clark developed his powers gradually, and I don't think he was able to set anything on fire until he was at least ten.

Fascinating! Intriguing! Come back soon with more.

Ann

#49151 01/17/08 04:33 PM
C
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
C
I enjoyed this thoroughly.

Ann - a couple of things I thought about while reading your post... 'our' Clark didn't develop powers until later, but IIRC [and admittedly the last time I saw the movie was probably in the 1980s], didn't the Chris Reeves Superman lift cars at 2 or so? So not L/C canon but Superman canon that powers can manifest earlier.

And the two timelines... I don't get what you're saying... Kal came to earth at age 4, presumably not too long ago, but that doesn't mean that Lex/Tempus took him from the ship. I'd guess that they didn't get to him until he'd been there several days and that's how he knew about apple pie and that his name is Clark.

At least that's what I thought about those two things anyway.

I'm thoroughly enjoying this and can't wait for more smile .
Carol

#49152 01/17/08 04:37 PM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
And the two timelines... I don't get what you're saying... Kal came to earth at age 4, presumably not too long ago, but that doesn't mean that Lex/Tempus took him from the ship. I'd guess that they didn't get to him until he'd been there several days and that's how he knew about apple pie and that his name is Clark.
Yes, that's what I'm going for. Clark came to earth at ~4 years old, spent a little time with the Kents, and then got abducted. I think the source of confusion is that on the show, Tempus came for infant Clark right when he landed.

#49153 01/17/08 04:56 PM
Columnist
Columnist
Thank goodness Lois is going to have Martha Kent on scene soon. I am enjoying what you have presented. I am not worrying about time travel because heck in the world of Lois and Clark anything is possible.

Glad to see little Kal back.

#49154 01/18/08 06:28 AM
BJ Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
Ack! Mercy, you are such a tease. I love how you portray Kal, especially how you're showing us what he's picked up so far from the Kents. So far we know he associates with the name Clark, knows to answer the phone with 'hello', he knows who Elvis is and that apple pie is "mmm, mmm" good. So, is Martha the Elvis fan in the family? lol

I didn't expect for Martha and Jonathan to be in town when Clark meets himself for the first time. It will make the revelation so much sweeter with them there (I've got this wonderful mental image of little Kal-El running to Martha and Jonathan) - but still dangerous for Clark when Lois puts the pieces together.

Please hurry back with the next chapter.
BJ

#49155 01/18/08 09:48 AM
C
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
C
Just got caught up on this, Mercy, and I can't wait for more! Great stuff smile

Caroline

#49156 01/18/08 09:52 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
hyper

Please! grovel grovel grovel

~•~
#49157 01/19/08 02:55 PM
E
Merriwether
Merriwether
E
Lois is handling this so well. Me thinks she'll figure out all of the pieces shortly.

Elisabeth

#49158 01/19/08 07:59 PM
T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
Mmmm, mmmm, tasty story!

This really is very sweet. I hope it continues from Lois's point of view all the way through, because it's always fun to watch her put the pieces together and call herself all kinds of names. And this one will be even better, because Martha and Jonathan will be just as stunned as Lois.

Of course, Clark will be the one most stunned. Assuming, of course, that he doesn't dissolve into nothingness when he meets his child self.

Of course, in this L&C universe, maybe that's what was supposed to happen. So instead of damaging the timeline, these events are merely following their proper course.

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing
#49159 01/19/08 08:51 PM
T
TOC Offline OP
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
Speaking as someone who hasn't seen the episode that this fic is based on, I can imagine adult Clark and Lois keeping four-year-old Clark and raising him as their own son. Wow, that would certainly be a reason for Lois and Clark to get married in a hurry. They would have to say that Clark, who is himself adopted, had managed to trace a biological relative of his, only to find that his relative had suddenly died and left a four-year-old behind.

Wow. Talk about time travel conundrums.

Ann

#49160 01/24/08 07:34 PM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Thank goodness Lois is going to have Martha Kent on scene soon. I am enjoying what you have presented. I am not worrying about time travel because heck in the world of Lois and Clark anything is possible.
Martha to the rescue!

Ack! Mercy, you are such a tease. I love how you portray Kal, especially how you're showing us what he's picked up so far from the Kents. So far we know he associates with the name Clark, knows to answer the phone with 'hello', he knows who Elvis is and that apple pie is "mmm, mmm" good. So, is Martha the Elvis fan in the family? [Lol]

I didn't expect for Martha and Jonathan to be in town when Clark meets himself for the first time. It will make the revelation so much sweeter with them there (I've got this wonderful mental image of little Kal-El running to Martha and Jonathan) - but still dangerous for Clark when Lois puts the pieces together.
Yeah, I had a lot of fun trying to decide what an alien kid would pick up on when he only had a month or two on earth. How could Martha's apple pie not leave an impression?

I hope the big encounter with M & J lives up to your expectations--see part 5!

Just got caught up on this, Mercy, and I can't wait for more! Great stuff
Thanks for reading! Glad you like it!

That was close!! It reminds me of when Little Jason threw the piano at Luthor's henchman. Maybe Adrenaline causes power-spikes?
You know, I didn't think of it at the time, but I guess there are definitely parallels between Kal's use of heat vision in this scene and Jason and the piano. I guess even super-powered little boys will do what they can to save Lois Lane. smile

Lois is handling this so well. Me thinks she'll figure out all of the pieces shortly.
Methinks you are right. wink

This really is very sweet. I hope it continues from Lois's point of view all the way through, because it's always fun to watch her put the pieces together and call herself all kinds of names. And this one will be even better, because Martha and Jonathan will be just as stunned as Lois.
Yes, I'm doing the whole thing from Lois' POV. At one point I was sooo tempted to switch to Tempus', but I'm being good. Promise. grumble

Speaking as someone who hasn't seen the episode that this fic is based on, I can imagine adult Clark and Lois keeping four-year-old Clark and raising him as their own son. Wow, that would certainly be a reason for Lois and Clark to get married in a hurry. They would have to say that Clark, who is himself adopted, had managed to trace a biological relative of his, only to find that his relative had suddenly died and left a four-year-old behind.

Wow. Talk about time travel conundrums.
Yes, I imagine it would be harder to explain a kid appearing out of nowhere today than when the Kents found Clark. Then again, it helps that the Kents live in a tiny town in the middle of Nowheresville.

I definitely agree it would pose some serious time travel conundrums if Kal is never returned home!

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard