Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#4790 07/23/03 07:31 AM
samik Offline OP
Freelance Reporter
OP Offline
Freelance Reporter
My grandmother's side of the family had their family reunion this past weekend. My mother, a few years ago, made a family quilt with our crest on it, and people came up and put their names on the quilt along with the years they'd attended the reunion. In the center of the quilt framing the crest are the names of the family members six generations ago that started the reunion.

The Cousins (there are seven of us of college age that are really tight) stood in front of the quilt for a while and appreciated our history. This stemmed from all that.

Comments?

Sami

"I don't like people to talk for no reason, but I really love dialogue between people who aren't listening to each other." --Raymond Carter
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Nice idea, very nicely done... thanks for sharing it smile

Btw, I love your sig file!

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Hi,

Beautiful story. drool

MAF thumbsup

Maria D. Ferdez.
---
Don't like Luthor, unfinished, untitled and crossover story, and people that promises and don't deliver. I'm getting choosy with age.
MAF
Merriwether
Merriwether
Really nice! Martha has always been one of my favorite characters, and seeing her memory honored in such a beautiful way brought a tear to my eye.

Nicely done! thumbsup

Do you know the most surprising thing about divorce? It doesn't actually kill you, like a bullet to the heart or a head-on car wreck. It should. When someone you've promised to cherish till death do you part says, "I never loved you," it should kill you instantly.

- Under the Tuscan Sun
samik Offline OP
Freelance Reporter
OP Offline
Freelance Reporter
Btw, I love your sig file!
I found that in a book called Pocket Muse: Ideas and Inspirations for Writing by Monica Wood. It sits on my desk, and is full of...well...ideas and tidbits to provide inspiration.

I figure it's appropriate since when Lois gets mad, she doesn't listen to anyone. smile

"I don't like people to talk for no reason, but I really love dialogue between people who aren't listening to each other." --Raymond Carter
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Very sweet little story. I absolutely loved it. Great job!

*Blayne*

Clark: You are really high maintenance, you know it?
Lois: But I'm worth it.

Clark: Not exactly what you had in mind, huh?
Lois: Let's see. So far I've been given a glimpse of ritual crop worship, been treated as your girlfriend, and insulted your parents. No, I couldn't have planned this.
T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
Samik

A lovely story! smile1

Tricia cool

Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
What a beautiful, sweet little vignette, Samik. Elegantly put together; rich in detail and characterisation, and with a wonderful atmosphere of warmth and love. Well done!

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Brought a tear to my eye. I have family quilts like that that have been brought over from Holland. That and I have helped make a few more for each child of a friend of mine. Its a nice idea to save some of the clothes that your child grows up in, like favorites and milestone outfits. I have the bag for my son's still building. The outfit I brought him home in from the hospital at the bottom along with a receiving blanket that he gnawed on for forever while he teethed.

Marns
~pobody's nerfect
A
Columnist
Columnist
A
A sweet story and a great concept. I too have a quilt of my own. My mother made it for me when I was an infant. The squares are made out of her maternity clothes and one of my father's army uniforms.

Annie

Being a reporter is as much a diagnosis as a job description. ~Anna Quindlen
Y
Top Banana
Top Banana
Y
Very sweet story. It's so sad that Martha died frown .

I don't have any sort of family quilt -- because my family isn't very crafty and certainly no one knows how to sew . . . but even though I can't really identify with it, the story was very moving smile .

- Alicia smile

Laura "The Yellow Dart" U. (Alicia U. on the archive)

"A hero is an ordinary individual who finds the strength to persevere and endure in spite of overwhelming obstacles." -- Christopher Reeve
samik Offline OP
Freelance Reporter
OP Offline
Freelance Reporter
My G gave me mine when I started college three years ago. She's got 13 grandkids and gives everyone the same thing. So from my mom's parents, we all get a quilt and a dorm refrigerator. It's partly so no one feels like they're less than anyone else, but it's also so we have a physical reminder of where we came from.

What's even better is that my G and granddad look like ewoks. goofy

Features Writer
Features Writer
Samik
beautiful, nicely done
merry

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard