Lois & Clark Forums
Posted By: samik Comments: Handmade Memories - 07/23/03 11:31 AM
My grandmother's side of the family had their family reunion this past weekend. My mother, a few years ago, made a family quilt with our crest on it, and people came up and put their names on the quilt along with the years they'd attended the reunion. In the center of the quilt framing the crest are the names of the family members six generations ago that started the reunion.

The Cousins (there are seven of us of college age that are really tight) stood in front of the quilt for a while and appreciated our history. This stemmed from all that.

Comments?

Sami
Posted By: ChiefPam Re: Comments: Handmade Memories - 07/23/03 12:56 PM
Nice idea, very nicely done... thanks for sharing it smile

Btw, I love your sig file!

PJ
Posted By: mariadferdez. Re: Comments: Handmade Memories - 07/23/03 01:06 PM
Hi,

Beautiful story. drool

MAF thumbsup
Posted By: rivka Re: Comments: Handmade Memories - 07/23/03 01:36 PM
Really nice! Martha has always been one of my favorite characters, and seeing her memory honored in such a beautiful way brought a tear to my eye.

Nicely done! thumbsup
Posted By: samik Re: Comments: Handmade Memories - 07/23/03 02:38 PM
Btw, I love your sig file!
I found that in a book called Pocket Muse: Ideas and Inspirations for Writing by Monica Wood. It sits on my desk, and is full of...well...ideas and tidbits to provide inspiration.

I figure it's appropriate since when Lois gets mad, she doesn't listen to anyone. smile
Posted By: Blayne Re: Comments: Handmade Memories - 07/23/03 07:07 PM
Very sweet little story. I absolutely loved it. Great job!
Posted By: TriciaW Re: Comments: Handmade Memories - 07/24/03 03:38 AM
Samik

A lovely story! smile1

Tricia cool
Posted By: LabRat Re: Comments: Handmade Memories - 07/24/03 10:06 AM
What a beautiful, sweet little vignette, Samik. Elegantly put together; rich in detail and characterisation, and with a wonderful atmosphere of warmth and love. Well done!

LabRat smile
Posted By: Bumpkin Re: Comments: Handmade Memories - 07/24/03 10:13 AM
Brought a tear to my eye. I have family quilts like that that have been brought over from Holland. That and I have helped make a few more for each child of a friend of mine. Its a nice idea to save some of the clothes that your child grows up in, like favorites and milestone outfits. I have the bag for my son's still building. The outfit I brought him home in from the hospital at the bottom along with a receiving blanket that he gnawed on for forever while he teethed.
Posted By: AnnieM Re: Comments: Handmade Memories - 07/24/03 10:47 AM
A sweet story and a great concept. I too have a quilt of my own. My mother made it for me when I was an infant. The squares are made out of her maternity clothes and one of my father's army uniforms.

Annie
Posted By: YellowDartVader Re: Comments: Handmade Memories - 07/24/03 10:53 AM
Very sweet story. It's so sad that Martha died frown .

I don't have any sort of family quilt -- because my family isn't very crafty and certainly no one knows how to sew . . . but even though I can't really identify with it, the story was very moving smile .

- Alicia smile
Posted By: samik Re: Comments: Handmade Memories - 07/24/03 10:59 AM
My G gave me mine when I started college three years ago. She's got 13 grandkids and gives everyone the same thing. So from my mom's parents, we all get a quilt and a dorm refrigerator. It's partly so no one feels like they're less than anyone else, but it's also so we have a physical reminder of where we came from.

What's even better is that my G and granddad look like ewoks. goofy
Posted By: merry Re: Comments: Handmade Memories - 07/24/03 04:34 PM
Samik
beautiful, nicely done
merry
© Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards