Page 1 of 2 1 2
#4735 07/22/03 06:47 AM
A
AnnieM Offline OP
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
A
First of all, yes, that last line is another direct quote from the book. It was actually that quote that inspired me to write this. I've been toying with story combining these two sets of characters ever since the OT thread about our favorite books. I included this in my reply:

I think Gibert was my first love. I always loved the way he loved Anne and wanted to find a guy who would be so patient and encouraging with me. (Hmm, come to think of it, his relationship with Anne is pretty similar to Clark's relationship with Lois. Funny how I never noticed that before.)
Ever since then I've been toying with this premise, but I had no ideas for a timeframe or plot. Then late last night I stumbled across the longer quote that is included in the story and this just came to me. As much as I kept telling myself to just write down an outline and go to bed, I couldn't do it. So I was up until 4am writing this in one sitting.

It's just a piece of fluff, but I hope it's a fun piece of fluff. Anyone who hasn't read the Anne books, I highly recommend them. You'll laugh, you'll cry, you'll be amazed how similar the romance in to Lois and Clark. smile

All thoughts, comments, etc welcome smile

Annie

Being a reporter is as much a diagnosis as a job description. ~Anna Quindlen
#4736 07/22/03 06:55 AM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
FLUFF!!!?! You call this fluff?

This was wonderful, Annie! I loved the process that Lois took to realize that she was in love with Clark - and it taking her favorite childhood characters to see it was a new and wonderful twist on one of my favorite episodes.

You've been on a roll lately!! Keep it up!!

Missy (whose sailboat is named Kindred Spirit laugh )

#4737 07/22/03 07:13 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
This was perfect. Absolutely perfect, from the title (one of Anne's favorite phrases, how well it applies to Lois & Clark), right down to the last line (again, how well it applies!).

This was really nice!!! thumbsup

"Hold on, my friends, to the Constitution and to the Republic for which it stands. Miracles do not cluster and what has happened once in 6,000 years, may not happen again. Hold on to the Constitution" - Daniel Webster
#4738 07/22/03 07:26 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
Aww, that's so sweet and waffy, Annie. smile

Now you've just managed to make my already huge list of books I still want to read longer. wink But that's a very good sign, I just need more spare time <g>.

Thanks for sharing this, Annie!

Saskia

I tawt I taw a puddy cat!
#4739 07/22/03 07:33 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Yay! Lovely story, Annie! smile Very nice setting of the scene, leading naturally to finding the old books, leading naturally to reading them wink I'm glad Lois came to her senses, and told Clark what was going on smile This whole thing, in fact, was great!

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
#4740 07/22/03 08:05 AM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Annie!

That was great!

You should always follow your 4am impulses smile

And who knew, I've read Anne of Green Gables, the plot summary brought it all back.

Thank you!

Helga

Knowledge is knowing that tomatoes are a fruit.

Intelligence is not putting them in a fruit salad.
#4741 07/22/03 08:18 AM
RL Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
I'm sorry I never read "Anne of Green Gables" series, though I have read the other mentioned here. The quotes and situations fit very well with Lois' dilemma. This was a very sweet story, made even more impressive that it was written all in one sitting. thumbsup thumbsup

-- Roger

"The Constitution only gives people the right to pursue happiness. You have to catch it yourself." -- Benjamin Franklin
#4742 07/22/03 09:09 AM
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
/me snuffles into her kleenex and heaves a huge, big waffy old sigh...

Yay for Anne! <g>

This was beautiful, Annie. smile1

LabRat smile (who'll definitely forgive you for doing this instead of your keyword assignment. <G>)

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
#4743 07/22/03 09:20 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Wow!

Loved it, Annie!! smile1

Just a fly-by! *waves*
#4744 07/22/03 10:18 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
Aww..so sweet! *sigh* smile

Count me in among the 'Anne of GG' fans. I remember devouring them when I was a kid.

Loved, loved, loved this little piece of so called 'fluff'... thumbsup

~Liz

Lois: Can I go?
Clark: No.
Lois: Oh come on, Clark, why do we go through this? We both know I’m going to go.
Clark: Then why do you ask?
Lois: I’m trying to be nice.
#4745 07/22/03 10:27 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Hi,

Beautiful! smile1

Maria D. Ferdez.
---
Don't like Luthor, unfinished, untitled and crossover story, and people that promises and don't deliver. I'm getting choosy with age.
MAF
#4746 07/22/03 10:47 AM
Y
Top Banana
Top Banana
Y
I was so excited about this story when you told me about it yesterday laugh . Since you share my love of Gilbert and all wink . He was definately my first love, too . . . and now his place in my heart is shared only with Clark.

I can not believe you wrote this story so fast! I came home from school today and there it was! Yay! So exciting!

And omg, of course it is just as good as I expected. And, to think, you wrote so quickly after our conversation about our favorite quotes from the Anne books -- so I am totally taking credit for your writing this. It was my signature quote that got you thinking about your favorite quotes wink . I am just so so so happy you wrote this story!!!!!!!!!!

Here are some of my favorite lines:

Clearly love was not the best criterion to use when choosing a spouse.
Poor Lois! She is so cynacal. I feel really bad for her. Lois's relationship with Lex sort of reminds me of Anne's relationship with Roy Gardener in AotI.

The closest she’d come to feeling that great connection with her one true love – the spark immortalized by romance novels and classic movies – was with Superman. But now she realized that was a dream. He’d told her last night that she didn’t really know him, and though she’d protested at the time, she realized now that he was right.
Good for her for finally realizing that! thumbsup But that sort of drove her to lex -- knowing that her fantasy could never be realized.

The battered covers and dog-eared pages paid tribute to her love for the Anne of Green Gables series.
Awwww! I had to buy new ones recently because mine were *so* damaged from over-reading!

Although Lois’ life seemed vastly different from the little red-headed orphan’s outwardly, inwardly they shared both a hunger for knowledge and a tendency toward impulsive behavior. And she’d shared her loneliness as well.
So true! I have always pictured Lois and Anne as Kindred Spirits -- they both have so many of the same personality traits. And isn't it great that the books that seemed so hard to read as a kid are so easy to read as an adult?
And that is so sweet how she thought of Matthew as a father figure because her own father was so inadequate.

She’d been looking for moonlight and roses when what she’d needed was her best friend.
AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!

And omg the paragraph you quoted from Anne of the island describes Lois's feelings for Clark so well. I have always thought that the Anne and Gil relationship sort of mirrored the Lois and Clark relationship.

A part of her lamented her dishabille state of dress, but this was too important a mission to delay for vanity’s sake.
LOL! Good choice, Lois!

“I’m saying that I love you,” she answered quietly, terrified of his response. “I have for a long time, I just didn’t know it. I don’t know how I missed it. I should have known. I’m so sorry.”
YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Then his lips were on hers, covering them and tasting her. He was timid at first, but he grew bolder by the second, claiming her lips with his, burning the moment onto her memory.
Oh my god, you write smoochies so well!!! Awwwww, so sweet!!!!!!

“I don’t want sunbursts or marble halls.... I just want you.”
And my favorite quote from the Anne books!!! I love that quote because I picture the scene from the movie when Gil is sick and Anne comes to give him her book and the the scene on the bridge with Anne declaring her love for Gil. I get the same waffy feeling every time i see it -- and I've seen that movie hundreds of times. In fact, this story makes me want to watch the movies and read the books again!!!!!!!! Anne and Gil kissing on the bridge is my background on my laptop -- and you wouldn't believe the comments I've gotten about it when I've brought it places to do presentations and stuff.

I am so so so so so so so glad you wrote this story and even happier that you finished it so quickly.

- Alicia laugh

Laura "The Yellow Dart" U. (Alicia U. on the archive)

"A hero is an ordinary individual who finds the strength to persevere and endure in spite of overwhelming obstacles." -- Christopher Reeve
#4747 07/22/03 01:22 PM
T
Merriwether
Merriwether
T
Does this mean that Lex is out of the picture?

Tank (who, of course, never read the Anne of Green Gables books but did visit Narnia as a youth)

#4748 07/22/03 02:26 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Aww Sweet. laura

Clark: “If we can be born in an instant, and die in an instant, why can’t we fall in love in an instant?”

Caroline's "Stardust"
#4749 07/22/03 08:59 PM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Annie,

This little slice of life is just wonderful, made me awww out loud and tears come to my eyes. Well done. thumbsup

Marns
~pobody's nerfect
#4750 07/23/03 02:20 AM
Merriwether
Merriwether
Awwww. I always associate the term "kindred spirits" with Anne, and I do love that revelation in the series. I just love how you use that to open Lois's eyes to how she really feels. Thank you for posting this. :-D (Now I wanna go home and read the books again!)

"You need me. You wouldn't be much of a hero without a villain. And you do love being the hero, don't you. The cheering children, the swooning women, you love it so much, it's made you my most reliable accomplice." -- Lex Luthor to Superman, Question Authority, Justice League Unlimited
#4751 07/23/03 11:07 PM
T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
Annie

WOW! This is beautifully written. smile1

Tricia cool

#4752 07/24/03 12:31 PM
Features Writer
Features Writer
Annie,
wonderful, sweet and waffy
merry

#4753 07/24/03 08:30 PM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
WOW Annie, what another amazing display of your talents!!!! thumbsup You set the scene in Lois's apartment with execellent imagery and the use of Anne and Gilbert to make Lois realize her "true feelings" is perfect!!! clap

S (who is in constant awe of the impressive abilities you posess Annie!!! notworthy )

"Well, let's see, so far I've been given a glimpse of ritual crop worship, treated as your girlfriend, and I insulted your parents. No, I couldn't have planned this. Mmm, mmm." -- Lois to Clark, 'Green, Green Glow of Home'
#4754 07/26/03 04:11 AM
Features Writer
Features Writer
Annie, I've barely had any time to spend on the boards in a month, so this morning I thought I'd start small, rather than with the multi-parters calling out to me. So I scrolled through and was delighted to find your wonderful "piece of fluff", as you call it. Absolutely delightful! notworthy notworthy

I adore the "Anne" series myself, and my 10-year-old son is happily reading them now. (I think I need to read them again myself!) Lovely parallels with the relationships between both sets of characters, and a very nice way to bring this truth home to Lois.

Of course I love that once she realized that truth, she had to immediately try to put things right. What she said to Clark was perfect. And certainly it will come as no surprise that I *loved* this part and have to quote it, even though others have before me...
Then his lips were on hers, covering them and tasting her. He was timid at first, but he grew bolder by the second, claiming her lips with his, burning the moment onto her memory.

He pulled away suddenly and she felt bereft without him, her lips still tingling from where they’d touched his. His hand came up to cup her cheek, his thumb rubbing lightly against her sensitive skin.

“Are you sure? This is what you really want?”

“So sure,” she replied, her heart racing in her chest as she silently pleaded with him to believe her. She drew his face down to hers for another sweet kiss before pulling away just long enough to whisper, “I don’t want sunbursts or marble halls.... I just want you.”
Such a lovely piece, Annie! [Linked Image]

KathyM

"Our thoughts form the universe. They always matter." - Babylon 5
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard