Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Laura S Offline OP
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
This is the second GTA submission feedback thread!

Feel free to discuss and speculate away. smile

If someone does suggest you as the writer of this piece, please don't refute or confirm them. Let's keep this a surprise.

My own feedback...

Well, personally, I loved it. I hardly ever read stories dealing with an early first season Lois and Clark and I can forget how great they are!

Still, he had always enjoyed having his head firmly attached to the top of his neck.
This line was just great!

Oh and this...

She nodded appreciatively. “There is that.” She looked more closely at the dress and spluttered in surprise. “It’s a size 12! Do you really think I wear a size 12?”

“Well…” he hedged, not knowing quite what to say. She was clearly offended, but he couldn’t understand why. “I wear a 16-1/2 inch neck, so I figured yours would be a few inches smaller. I take it you wear an 11?”
was great! goofy But these guesses are a blast to read.

~Laura

Thanks to CapeFetish for the awesome icon. smile
Kerth
Kerth
I really loved this little story. Especially Lois' final choice of costume.

So, let's see. We have a Batman reference, a Spiderman reference, one to Measuring up and another (very sneaky one) to Catwoman. Additionally, we have lots of hyphons in the text. I'd say - and it's only a guess - that this story was written by LaraMoon. Or one of her great admirers/friends here.

The only known quantity that moves faster than
light is the office grapevine. (from Nan's fabulous Home series)
T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
Like Mellie said, we have Batman, Spiderman, and finally Lois as Catwoman - how can that not be written by Lara? But somehow it didn't feel quite, quite like Lara to me. I can't put my finger on it, but somehow it didn't. (Perhaps because when Lois contemplated Clark's assets, she didn't think of his arms at all?) Unfortunately, no other name comes to mind, either. (Unless it is - could it be - Mellie??)

This confused me, too:

Clark edged past Little Bo Peep and Nixon
Nixon??? As in Richard Nixon? As in the President of the United States between 1968 and 1974? Surely Mellie wouldn't have Clark run into such a nineteen seventies character - Mellie, you were barely born in 1974, were you? Ah, but Lara was. So it is you then, Lara?

As for the story, I loved seeing Lois and Clark try to decide on a costume for each other! You know, for a moment there, I thought Lois might pick up a Superman costume for Clark! goofy

This had me giggling insanely:

She sighed and crossed her arms. “Never mind,” she mumbled, turning on her heel to depart in humiliation.

There was nothing Clark could do but agree. He would just have to charm the socks out of her. That would solve everything.

“I had planned on going to bed early tonight,” he explained. He was toying with her now—he knew that, but couldn't seem to mind.
That was going to charm the socks out of her??? Ah, but it worked! He knows her so well!!! rotflol

Suddenly I had another insane thought. What do I know about the people who participate in this "guess the author" ficathon? It's not as if we have a list of names to choose from. One writer who hasn't been heard of for a long time, but who might just possibly have contributed a story here, is Nancy, Classicalla. Nancy likes Superman and all kinds of superheroes, and she is old enough to remember Nixon. Nancy, could it be you?

Ann

Z
Columnist
Columnist
Z
I loved the size comments too. smile Great job, Author X

Mona

Kerth
Kerth
Mmmm. I don't think it's LaraMoon. I've beta'd for her and it just doesn't feel like Lara. Almost, like someone said, but not close enough. Besides, I don't think LaraM. would fudge with the timeline (it seems like Clark has known Lois for longer than a couple of days).

So maybe it's Mellie (the other Lara)?

Lois: You know, I have a funny feeling that you didn't tell me your biggest secret.

Clark: Well, just to put your little mind at ease, Lois, you're right.
Ides of Metropolis
Merriwether
Merriwether
I think whoever did write it may have been trying to lead us to Lara and off the right track.

I think, therefore, I get bananas.

When in doubt, think about time travel conundrums. You'll confuse yourself so you can forget what you were in doubt about.

What's the difference between ignorance, apathy, and ambivalence?
I don't know and I don't care one way or the other.
Top Banana
Top Banana
I've beta'd for Lara too... and I thought for sure it was. Only because Lara has a habit of using — a lot. Haha that or maybe someone who has beta'd for her before decided to use that to imitate her style.

Gah you guys are to sneaky. I bet to Lara's happiness that everyone uses a bat reference (even her) just to throw us all off. HAHA

I'm stumped on this one if it isn't Lara though...

Angry Clark: CLARK SMASH!
Lois: Ork!
C
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
C
Oh, yay! I'm a sucker for a White Orchid Ball story smile

I don't think my favorite line has been quoted yet:

He tried to shrug it off. “All of the top banana costumes were taken.”
rotflol How I wish Clark had actually gotten to say that line!

And Ann, I believe Lane Smith played Richard Nixon in a TV movie back in the 80's, and there were references in the show to the fact that he looked like Nixon. I assumed that Perry was the one who had decided to be Nixon for the party, though quite how he would have distinguished his "Nixon costume" from Perry-in-a-suit I'm not sure.

Lovely story smile

Caroline

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
*lol* That was amusing!

Nice little clues all over to throw everyone off track in this one as well!

I totally giggled when I say that Lois thinks "May the Force be with you" is something Klingons say. Poor Lois... wink

I haven't a clue who wrote that, but well done! It definitely made me smile!

Superman: Why is it that good villains never die?
Batman: Clark, what the hell are good villains?
=> Superman/Batman: Public Enemies
E
Merriwether
Merriwether
E
She zipped past Spiderman and Batman. Young was one thing, but those made-up comic book fools lacked sophistication. She was looking for a real hero, not those fakes.
I'm sure this isn't Lara. She would never diss Batman.

It's not angsty so it isn't Wendy--BTW, welcome back, Wendy. Even if you're only visiting.

No follicles were injured in the making of the story, so it isn't Tank.

“It’s a size 12! Do you really think I wear a size 12?”

“Well…” he hedged, not knowing quite what to say. She was clearly offended, but he couldn’t understand why. “I wear a 16-1/2 inch neck, so I figured yours would be a few inches smaller. I take it you wear an 11?”
Maybe this is a Queen of Capes kind of thing, but I don't know.

It doesn't feel like Sue or DJ, who have worked together so much that I can't tell their styles apart.

This may be Paul's or it may be Laura S. (but I'm not voting for her since I'm convinced she did the first one.)

My vote is on Symbolicangel--definitively... in that I-don't-know kind of way.

Elisabeth

E
Merriwether
Merriwether
E
“I had planned on going to bed early tonight,” he explained. He was toying with her now—he knew that, but couldn’t seem to mind.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That was going to charm the socks out of her??? Ah, but it worked! He knows her so well!!!
That was the reference that made me know it wasn't you, Ann--although, come to think of it, I believe you're a dedicated reader, but not a writer. This is a quote from the Pilot episode.

Elisabeth

Kerth
Kerth
Hmm, there are some really good points. I do like Spiderman. And, of course, Batman - especially together with Catwoman. And - as you can see - I use lots of hyphons, too. blush

About Nixon: Well, I wasn't born then. But then, the other Lara was still very, very young back then, too. Primary school and younger.

So, could I have written this? I would tell you, if only... Well, 'nuff said! devil

The only known quantity that moves faster than
light is the office grapevine. (from Nan's fabulous Home series)
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
“Well?” Her nervousness was obvious. Even in a darkened, empty newsroom, her personality filled the place. She was a wonder! When she was excited, it emanated from her until the entire universe danced in victory. When she was hot on a story, the universe backed out of her way to watch the marvel of a master at work. And now, the ntire world jittered in place, waiting for his response.
Ah, this is just such a wonderful description of Lois’ presence.

“I’m not sure,” he answered honestly. “Did you want to measure me?”
Can I, huh? Please, please...

flummoxed
Hey, I think this word was used in Santa’s Helper, too. Same author? If so, they sure did do a good job of different writing styles. And darn it all! I did a search on the archive and there are at least 8 different authors that have used that word....

Clark was such a hayseed, he would probably just show up in a pair of bib overalls with straw sticking out of his mouth, left to his own devices.
Hey, Lois, hmm... that might be pretty sexy seeing Clark dressed like that.

The Klingon costume was a joke.
Hah!

Hmm.... I’m clueless, but the mention of the Klingon costume made me think of Ann (TOC). It also reminded me of Lara Moon, but the style seems very unlike hers. I also thought that it might be Mellie’s (and Ann seems to agree).

He tried to shrug it off. “All of the top banana costumes were taken.”
Lois dressed as a big banana! rotflol rotflol

“It’s a size 12! Do you really think I wear a size 12?”
Guys are clueless when it comes to things like dress size.

“I wear a 16-1/2 inch neck, so I figured yours would be a few inches smaller. I take it you wear an 11?”
More like a size 2, Clark.

His breath caught in his throat as he found her. She was wearing a black, satin dress with a black, satin mask. It was simple, yet elegant, making his heart stop in his chest.
Wow! Great imagery.

Nixon??? As in Richard Nixon? As in the President of the United States between 1968 and 1974? Surely Mellie wouldn't have Clark run into such a nineteen seventies character - Mellie, you were barely born in 1974, were you? Ah, but Lara was. So it is you then, Lara?
Mellie wasn’t even a thought in 1974, Ann. But it seems that I remember references to Nixon in the show.

One writer who hasn't been heard of for a long time, but who might just possibly have contributed a story here, is Nancy, Classicalla. Nancy likes Superman and all kinds of superheroes, and she is old enough to remember Nixon. Nancy, could it be you?
rotflol Porky and Petunia? (A bunch of piglets.) A piggy post? Richard Nixon? Ann, I think it could be you. Then again, Mellie has done some Beta work on that story...

I bet to Lara's happiness that everyone uses a bat reference (even her) just to throw us all off.
Wouldn’t that be fun?

Cute story!

~~Even heroes have the right to dream.~~
Columnist
Columnist
I laughed so hard while reading this!

She paused way too long at a toga costume. Sure, he would kill her, but dancing would certainly be interesting.
Mmm...indeed!

I have no idea who wrote this. Maybe Queen of the Capes?

Silence is golden.
Duct tape is silver.

~Saw it on a T-Shirt.
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I think that this was written by Elisabeth.

1. Clark's guessing the sizes wrong is reminiscent of a conversation we had earlier in our marriage.
2. The Klingon reference mixed up with a Star Wars quote. My wife is proficient in both fandoms and would know just how clueless Lois would be.
3.There was no gratuitous innuendo remarks.
4. Serious teasing of Lois by Clark.

James

“…with God everything is possible.” Matthew 19:26.

Also read Nan's Terran Underground!
Merriwether
Merriwether
I must say you certainly have an advantage on us in knowing your wife's style, James.

I think, therefore, I get bananas.

When in doubt, think about time travel conundrums. You'll confuse yourself so you can forget what you were in doubt about.

What's the difference between ignorance, apathy, and ambivalence?
I don't know and I don't care one way or the other.
E
Merriwether
Merriwether
E
I've asked him how embarassed he would be if he turned out to be wrong, Woody.

Elisabeth

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Originally posted by woody:
I must say you certainly have an advantage on us in knowing your wife's style, James.
Advantage nothing! My wife's style is very similar to at least 3 different author's styles. I am going out on a limb with this.

James

“…with God everything is possible.” Matthew 19:26.

Also read Nan's Terran Underground!

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard