Print Thread
D
Dave Offline OP
Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
D
[de-lurk]

Silently, he floated up to the ceiling and disengaged the metal door from its frame.

He heard a breathless "Oh my god" and looked back down at her in utter defeat. He offered her a silent hand. "C'mere," he said softly. "I'll take you home now."
The best revelation ever. laugh

Really, really loved this - so very real. I loved that both Lois *and* Clark were angry.

Brilliantly Krafty! wink

[/de-lurk]

'I just kind of died for you;
You just kind of stared at me'
- Aurora, Foo Fighters
Top Banana
Top Banana
YAY!!!! A Sara Story!!!! hyper And hurray for Mel, too. wink

I already told you how much I like this. Love it, even!

He covered his eyes with one large hand, and she could see his brow was furrowed and his shoulders were tensed up. His hand pulled slowly down over his nose, his cheeks, his mouth, as if he'd physically painted a mask of anguish with his palm as it descended. It curled into a fist at his chin and he held it there for a moment, the raw emotion written clearly on his face. His hand fell and his shoulders slumped.
mecry Poor poor Clark! And oh, the angst!

Some feeble attempt at an apology teased at her mouth, but it wouldn't come. There was just no way to say sorry for something like that, was there? Had she hurt him that much? She could almost feel the remembered pain coming off him in waves. No, it wasn't just remembered pain; it was still there, had been there the whole time they'd been dating, lingering dangerously under the surface. And now it was coming to a head, bubbling with anger.
Both quotes are just so beautiful! I can feel the angst coming of it. And it shows how happy Mel is to be back. Really, really brilliant stuff, Sara! Oh, and lovely revelation, too.

Saskia smile

I tawt I taw a puddy cat!
M
Merriwether
Merriwether
M
SQUEE! *hugs story* You sneaky girl, Sara, all these weeks and I never suspected it might be you!

I love how you dived right into the fight without any setup. Pulls me right in.

"You can't stay mad forever," he baited.
Heh. You wanna bet?

His heart sank a little more at the nearly imperceptible flinch she made at his movement. He dared another step.

"Stop." The fire was gone, as well as the ice. He hated the slight tremor of fear that'd replaced them.
Ouch! She's afraid of him?

"Tell me just what was so important that you had to leave last night. Tell me why you didn't answer your phone. Tell me why I spent the night half worried sick about you and half wondering what the hell I could have done to make you loathe my presence so much."
Oh, Lois. *hugs Lois* Sara, this is a great paragraph. Her pain is articulated so well, something that they didn't cover on the show well at all.

his mind flashed to the mangled metal and smashed glass. The torn flesh and the... He hadn't been in time anyway. Everything had gone wrong last night.
Fabulous detail.

He'd been hoping for... What? A candlelit dinner?
No, Clark, that's too little, too late. Just go for broke, dude.

She gave an almost imperceptible nod and hugged herself tighter.
*hugs Lois again* Once again, great attention to detail and emotion.

"I can't be stuck in here!" She pounded more, then leaned forward against the door in defeat. Her next words were barely a whisper, but he caught them all the same. "Not with you."
whinging

If she couldn't bear his presence anymore, he'd take her home. No waiting this time. Silently, he floated up to the ceiling and disengaged the metal door from its frame.

He heard a breathless "Oh my god" and looked back down at her in utter defeat. He offered her a silent hand. "C'mere," he said softly. "I'll take you home now."
eek Well, that's certainly going for broke!

"No, why didn't you tell me about Lex? Why would you let me... How could you stand by and watch me get hurt? You said you loved me. Didn't you care enough?"

A brief look of shock crossed his face before it was replaced with anger and a not so small amount of hurt. "Didn't *I* care enough? Do you remember, Lois? Do you remember what you said to me?"
Ohh, is Clark about to let his claws out, too?

His hand pulled slowly down over his nose, his cheeks, his mouth, as if he'd physically painted a mask of anguish with his palm as it descended. It curled into a fist at his chin and he held it there for a moment, the raw emotion written clearly on his face.
I can see this so clearly.

"So, we're just going to see who can cut the deepest now? Don't tempt me, Clark. I don’t think you want to start that battle."
Actually, I think that maybe he does.

"Why, Lois?* Why*? Because you broke my heart, that's why. Twice in one day, and don't think I could have handled telling you goodnight, let alone why you shouldn't marry the man who tried to kill me on more than one occasion. He was my worst enemy, and not just because he got to ask first and you said yes."
Yeah, I think Clark is going to win this round. Sorry, Lois.

This is a great story, Sara. I really like a good fight (as long as it's not in my own house!) smile Thank you so much!

lisa in the sky with diamonds
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
awww!!! I loved this story! *yay*

thumbsup dance

Superman: Why is it that good villains never die?
Batman: Clark, what the hell are good villains?
=> Superman/Batman: Public Enemies
Top Banana
Top Banana
Yay! I can't wait to read this. I'm in the mood for some old fashioned angst right now.

She'd glared *at* him, though. That was a start.
That's so... pathetic. But so Lois and so Clark.

How did she manage both fire and ice in her tone?
Awesome question.

Her next words were barely a whisper, but he caught them all the same. "Not with you."

His heart took a sharp dive and he felt his shoulders slump. With a heavy sigh, he glanced upward at the maintenance door. If she couldn't bear his presence anymore, he'd take her home. No waiting this time. Silently, he floated up to the ceiling and disengaged the metal door from its frame.

mecry That's so sad! Awww. The angst.

And his voice was quiet when he spoke. "You told me you'd love me if I were just an ordinary man. If I had no powers at all, you'd love me just the same."
Oooh, I like that she didn't remember that part at first. Usually in stories she does and right away understands why Clark is upset. This is good. smile

That was beautiful. Wonderful job. I only wished he would have told her about the Kryptonite cage. But that might have been a little too much angst!

Laura

Thanks to CapeFetish for the awesome icon. smile
Features Writer
Features Writer
I also love a good fight (and somehow I like it more when I sense its a "growing pains" sort of fight than a blowout). And it goes without saying that I love angst. This was fabulous. Thank you so much for posting it!

alcyone

One loses so many laughs by not laughing at oneself - Sara Jeannette Duncan
http://languagelog.ldc.upenn.edu/myl/llog/duty_calls.png
C
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
C
I think Mel's passport needs to be revoked. She definitely needs to stick around!

No time to say more than 'wonderful'!

Carol

C
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
C
Whoa! When Mel comes back, she does it with style!

She had her arms wrapped tightly around herself, tense with emotion. But she didn't look expectant, as if she'd given up on getting an answer from him.
Oh, this kills! That she's given up on him... *sniff*

"I can't be stuck in here!" She pounded more, then leaned forward against the door in defeat. Her next words were barely a whisper, but he caught them all the same. "Not with you."

His heart took a sharp dive and he felt his shoulders slump. With a heavy sigh, he glanced upward at the maintenance door. If she couldn't bear his presence anymore, he'd take her home. No waiting this time. Silently, he floated up to the ceiling and disengaged the metal door from its frame.

Fantastic revelation! It broke my heart and gave me goosebumps at the same time.

"You don't remember, do you?" he scoffed. She wasn't sure if he sounded hurt or amused. Laughter through the pain?

Apparently she didn't remember. She bit at her lower lip and shook her head softly.
Oooh. I don't think I've ever seen her not remember. But it's realistic, isn't it? I've unfortunately had the experience of saying something that was hurtful to someone without realizing it until much later. It didn't stick with me at all, but it festered with the friend I'd hurt. Awful, that.

She could almost feel the remembered pain coming off him in waves. No, it wasn't just remembered pain; it was still there, had been there the whole time they'd been dating, lingering dangerously under the surface. And now it was coming to a head, bubbling with anger.
Ouch! But thank you for leaving us with some hope:

When it came down to it, there wasn't anyone else she'd rather be with, and that had to count for something. That made everything worth it, didn't it?

"I think so, Clark. I hope so."
Yay! I think so, too smile1 .

This was so lovely, Sara - sad and painful and hopeful and so perfectly in character throughout. Thanks for a wonderful read smile .

C.

Columnist
Columnist
This story had some great angst!!
I sniffeled a few times during theire conversation at Lois' appartement.

There, he couldn't mistake that being directed at him, at least.
poor Clark...

"Go ahead and explain." She crossed her arms over her chest. "Tell me just what was so important that you had to leave last night. Tell me why you didn't answer your phone. Tell me why I spent the night half worried sick about you and half wondering what the hell I could have done to make you loathe my presence so much."
Poor Lois. She would actualy think that Clark woudn't want to be with her. (She's so wrong!!)

Wow!! what a revelation!!

A brief look of shock crossed his face before it was replaced with anger and a not so small amount of hurt. "Didn't *I* care enough? Do you remember, Lois? Do you remember what you said to me?"
...and she didn't remember,*snif* *snif* poor Clark but also poor Lois. They're just both so hurt at the moment. I really don't know whom I should feel more sorry for!!

but this is kind of a happy ending laugh

-Camy

"I have no regrets. If you regret things, then you're sort of stepping backwards.
I'm a believer in going forwards." ~Kate Winslet
T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
I, too, loved it. Of course, as the world's staunchest Lois defender (Tank, where are you?) I will of course look at this from Lois's point of view. But before I start reviewing, Sara, please don't think I'm criticising your fic - because I loved it!!! - and please don't think I'm trying to tell anyone what your story "really" is about. I'm going to describe what I, the diehard Lois fan, see in it, OK?

She huffed and reached for the stop button again, but he caught her hand. She was trembling, but hiding it extremely well under the circumstances.

"Are you seeing someone else, Clark?" There was a dangerous current of doubt hiding beneath the challenge of her tone.

"What? No! Of course not." How could she even think that of him?

"Is it me, then? Has dating me been a big let down?"

"Lois, no," he pleaded. He was the one letting her down. He should have told her by now. Superman was coming between them once again. "I shouldn't have waited so long. I'm sorry. I sho – "

All pretense and fight had left her now; her voice was quiet. The threatening tears were evident in her voice. "You want to break up with me."
Lois is going to pieces because Clark keeps running out on her. Do I feel sorry for her? You bet!

But can't I feel sorry for Clark, too?

He winced and his mind flashed to the mangled metal and smashed glass. The torn flesh and the... He hadn't been in time anyway. Everything had gone wrong last night. And now he was frozen to the spot, certain there was nothing he could say to make anything right.
Of course I feel sorry for him! This is heartbreaking. Worse than heartbreaking. He is trying to be there for everybody, to save everybody... but sometimes he can't save anyone, and all he gets to see is horror and death. And then he comes home to Lois, who is upset and heartbroken because he hasn't been there for her. That must be horrible for Clark. And yet... it was his choice not to tell Lois why he always ran out on her.

(And honestly, you female FoLCs out there... wouldn't you be fed up, angry and hurt if your man kept running out on you and stubbornly refused to tell you why?)

"It's because..." he hesitated. This wasn't really the time or the place. Not like this. He'd been hoping for... What? A candlelit dinner? No, more like an impenetrable anger-proof force-field. Or at least a guarantee that she'd even still talk to him when it was all said and done.
He is afraid of her reaction. That's why he has kept lying to her. frown This reminds me of a mock TV trial where a man was accused of having had sex with his wife for years without telling her that he was HIV positive. Now she was infected, too. This was the husband's defence: "I couldn't tell my wife, because she might have divorced me!" In other words, his need not to be rejected by his wife was more important than her need not to get a life-long, serious, incurable disease. frown

And Clark's need not to be rejected by Lois is more important than her need to understand who Clark really is, and why he keeps running out on her?

He cursed his alter ego for the second time in as many days. Juggling was getting too hard, and now they were both suffering the consequences of his inaction.

"Look," he started. "Why don't we go to my apartment, and I can make us some coffee."
But maybe he is really going to tell her now?

Clark reached for the emergency stop and released it. And nothing happened. He pulled it out and tried again, this time slotting it back into place a little more forcefully.

The elevator gave a lurch and halted again. He could hear the gears and cables above grinding in their attempt to move.
And the elevator is stuck! Me the claustrophobiac would have freaked out completely!

Aaaaahhh! That must have hurt Clark so badly, and I do feel sorry for him. I really do. Still, because of his continual lying to her, I think he deserved to hear it.

Yes!!! This paragraph is awesome. I'm so glad he just gave up pretending. smile Still, it's really sad that he gave up and revealed his secret to her when he had sort of given up on them, as if he would stop lying and tell her the truth only when there was no hope for them any more. razz

He took a deep breath and let it out slowly. His gaze seemed to burn through her. "Are we going to be okay, Lois?

Would they be? Could they be? She did love him, and she knew in her heart how he felt about her. When it came down to it, there wasn't anyone else she'd rather be with, and that had to count for something. That made everything worth it, didn't it?

I'm glad she didn't give him an unqualified "yes". I think they are going to be together. I want them to be together. But I have to tell you, Sara, that if Clark keeps nursing his old wounds like this and refuses to see how badly he treated Lois, then I wouldn't mind if Lois told him that being with him probably wasn't worth it after all.

And now, all you Clark fans: no, I haven't seen the episode that this fic is based on. I do believe you if you tell me that Lois was incredibly bitchy and galactically stupid in this ep, and that it was very hard to sympathize with her. So I really, really don't blame you for sympathizing with Clark here! But please accept that I have spent half a lifetime watching Clark/Superman reject Lois in various heartless ways. Please understand that I will side with Lois!

This was a superb fic, Sara! clap

Ann

Top Banana
Top Banana
Sara I cannot say that anyone has ever explained Lois's and Clark's feelings following her rejecting him and soliciting Superman, as well as you did here. I think this story portrayed their feelings so well and left little room for wonder or speculation.
I know tis really hurt Clark, even when he knew that Lois said it out of anger.
I'm glad that he didn't hold back anymore, and just told her, or showed her rather.
"Oh, I see, it's okay for you to be the victim, but I'm not supposed to feel anything?" His anger was back, full force.

"I didn't say that. You, on the other hand, there were a lot of things *you* didn't say."

"I *told* you Luthor was a monster. You just didn't want to listen." He flung an arm forcefully in front of him as he yelled.

"You could have told me that night. I would have listened!"

"You would have listened to Superman. But my opinion didn't matter."

"You *are* Superman."

He snorted.

"And I didn't listen to Clark – to *you* – because you were just being jealous and spiteful."

"Was I?" he challenged.

"Yes, you were. If you hadn't let your feelings color your attitude, I might have listened then."

"But you would have listened to Superman?"

"Yes," she said defiantly.

"Why? What makes it so different? Because Clark *was* in love with you, but you were *hoping* Superman was?"

Was it? She'd like to think it wasn't. "I don't know."
Why did it matter if Lois got her warning from Clark or Superman? Clark was her best friend and even if he was jealous, she trusted that he had her best interest in mind. I never understood that in Lois. So I'm siding with CLark here.

Good job!

~Sheila

I'm a firm believer in the fact that God doesn't put any more on us than we can bear. He does however make us come to Jesus every so often.
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
[also delurks]

What a way for your Muse to come back, Sara! This is powerful in its expression of the pain they're both feeling. Both of them have legitimate reasons for feeling it, too. And what I especially like about the ending is that both of them compromise. Both of them give a little. It's not that one person has totally crumpled beneath the other's anger. They both acknowledge that they did things wrong, and they both let go of some of their anger so that they can listen.

You describe Clark's sense of defeat, of giving up on their relationship, so well that I can feel his utter despair as he floats up to the top of the elevator. And even though the revelation's very understated (which is A Good Thing), it's brilliant all the same.

Excellent work! clap

Wendy smile

[/lurks again]

Just a fly-by! *waves*
T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
Now that I'm done explaining my postion as a diehard Lois fan, let me take off my Lois-colored glasses and say that I, too, really enjoyed how this argument was an argument of the very best kind - the kind where both parties get to explain what they felt and how hurt they were, and where both, as Wendy said, ended up giving a little. In other words, this could be a fresh start, a new foundation to build on, where both of them learn to understand the other one a little better. And hey, Clark is done lying to Lois!!! clap

Again, like others have said (not least Wendy), the revelation here is absolutely great, in a delightfully understated way.

Ann

K
Boards Chief Administrator
Pulitzer
Boards Chief Administrator
Pulitzer
K
Eep! How could I have left this feedback so long un-replied to?! Bad me! Thank you all so much for the wonderful feedback! I'm so thrilled that you enjoyed the angst and the revelation! dance

Dave – You already know you're my hero. Thanks for the best feedback ever. wink

Sas – Thanks again for all your help with this one! I love that the angst comes off really well for you. evil

Ann – About the revelation – I don't see it so much as Clark only revealing things to her because he'd given up completely on them. He felt defeated, yeah, but he hasn't given up all hope. wink

I cannot say that anyone has ever explained Lois's and Clark's feelings following her rejecting him and soliciting Superman, as well as you did here
Wow, Sheila! That's a wonderful compliment! Thank you! smile

Wendy – Ooh! I made you delurk! *g* I love that you picked up on the sharing of the blame, the compromising – one of the main things I was trying to get across, I think: it wasn't one person's fault more than the other, really. Hurt feelings on both sides more than blame, and that's just something they have to work through. laugh

Thanks again, everyone! smile

Sara

Kerth nominations are opening on March 3!
🏆2024 Kerth Award Posts 🏆.

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, the show, life, and more!

You can also find me on Tumblr and AO3.

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard