Next Thread
Print Thread
T
TOC Offline OP
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
No one seems to have started a FDK thread for this, which I can't really understand. It is written in Nan's usual fluid, effortless style, which is all the more attractive because it doesn't call attention to itself. It is as comfortable as a pair of perfectly well-fitting shoes.

As for the story, I loved how Bobby Bigmouth sneaked inside Inspector Henderson's car to volunteer information that might help Lois. I loved this:

It was interesting how Bobby had gotten into this thing without anyone asking. Of course, there was the lure of the free meal but, oddly enough, Henderson didn't think that had been the primary motive. Lois Lane had the inexplicable ability to inspire plenty of loyalty in her friends and acquaintances.
I love it.

But it's horrifying to think that there is a perfect Lois look-alike out there with, we might assume, very sinister motives. I hope Henderson remembers Bobby's advice to fingerprint any suspicious Lois!

As for the 'Mrs', she is Arianna Carlin, isn't she?

This interested me:

Her farm boy from Krypton seemed to be letting her decide where things were going to go and how far, and, to tell the truth, she found that reassuring. Lex had definitely been irked when she had expressed a desire to wait until their wedding night, although he'd gone along with her wishes. If Clark was disappointed, he wasn't letting on in any way. Unexpectedly, she was a little let down by his behavior, but at the same time it took off a good deal of the pressure. Clark hadn't even raised the subject, so maybe he was waiting for her to do so. She supposed that she should, sooner or later -- maybe tonight, while they were cooking dinner, she thought.
Hmmmm. I don't expect anything too steamy, but it's nice that you bring the subject up.

"Are you all right?" he asked.

"Um ... yes, fine." She forced her gaze higher and looked him in the eyes. "Just, um...admiring the view."

To her surprise, he looked uncertain and reached for his own towel. "Maybe I should have borrowed Dad's trunks," he said. "These jeans seem to have shrunk a bit."

"They're fine," she assured him, resolutely not glancing at the item of clothing in question. "Besides, if you'd worn your dad's I might be getting a view of a lot more of you than you wanted."

"Lo--is!" He sounded almost shocked, and her surprise turned to amusement at the pink flush spreading up his neck.
Aw, poor Clark. If he's this embarrassad, the wedding night is going to be awkward for him.

“We may have a problem,” Rachel said. “Clark and Mrs. Luthor -- Lois Lane, actually, since she didn't take Luthor's name -- are at the Kent farm, hiding out from the media. Henderson knew it; I guess Clark let him know where they were. He's found out that there's a hit man headed for Smallville, who's after Ms. Lane.”
Horror!!! eek

“Yeah,” he said. “I get it. People get killed over fifty dollars. Luthor had billions. Y'know, I don't think I'd want to be in her place. Wouldn't be worth it.”
I agree!

“Did you try any papers before the Planet?”

He shook his head. “No. First I decided to try for the one I wanted to work for the most, so I came to Metropolis.”

“Why the Planet? There's the New York Times and the Washington Post --“

“Well, I'd seen the writing of this incredible journalist in the Planet and it really impressed me.”

“Who --“ She broke off when she saw him smile. “*Me?*”
I love this!!

“Yes, but you can see better than you could yesterday,” Lois said. “Remember what I said -- they seem to be getting better gradually. Have you tried any of your other powers -- like, oh -- X-ray vision, maybe?”

“No,” Clark said. He looked down at the water and Lois saw him squint. Another long silence. She was just about to speak when he blinked several times and looked back at her. “It seems to work.” His voice was shaking slightly. “Maybe you're right.”
Wonder why his voice is shaking? What did he see? Lois?

“Betcha I am,” Lois said. On impulse, she hit the lake's surface with one hand, splashing water into his face and turned to flee as fast as she could swim. “You're it!” she called.

Clark was after her instantly and she had barely gone ten feet before he caught up with her and grabbed her by the wet material of her T-shirt. “All right Ms. Lane, now you pay!”

She squealed, expecting to be ducked and trying to wiggle loose, but instead he spun her around and she found herself being thoroughly kissed. She ceased struggling instantly.

He lifted his head after several endless seconds and smiled down at her. “You're no fun,” he said teasingly. “You're supposed to try to get away.”

“Now that would be really stupid of me, wouldn't it,” she said breathlessly. “That's one super power you didn't lose.”

“Oh?”

“Every time you've kissed me, you've taken my breath away,” she said.

“Hmm. Maybe I'll have to do it more often,” he said.

“Believe me, Farmboy, if you don't you're going to be in a lot of trouble!”
Aw, this is adorable.

And that campfire dinner sounded lovely - so delicious and romantic - but then this happened:

The phone wasn't there.

“I can't find it,” she said, when she returned to the center of the clearing.

“Maybe it fell off the seat,” he said.

“That's what I thought, but I looked,” she said. “I looked everywhere I could think of. It's not there.”

“Maybe you left it at the farm,” Clark suggested.

“Maybe,” Lois said. “I guess I must have, but I could have sworn it was in the car.”
Lois's phone is gone!!! eek Don't tell me. The hit man has taken it, right? He has found them?

Let's hope that Clark's powers have returned sufficiently for him to be able to defend Lois from the hit man! So hurry back with the next part, please, Nan!

Ann

Nan Offline
Kerth
Kerth
Thank you, Ann. I was beginning to wonder if people are getting a little bored with my writing. The stories take time and effort to write and if people don't want to read them, I guess I can always go back to the less-carefully plotted ones I was writing for myself before I found the fandom. I've always said I'll write until people lose interest and then I'll know it's time to move on. Hopefully people just got discouraged because I took so long between posts. Unfortunately I don't have as much time as I used to. I'm responsible for my brother, now, who is handicapped, and my husband and I are also trying to ready our house for sale, so that he can retire. Sometimes events catch up with me and writing has to take a back seat to real life, but I always finish what I start. Anyway, I'll have to see how this story and the next one that I have in line go. As I said, I hope people just grew discouraged by the gap between posted parts, and summer *is* coming up, as well.

Anyway, I hope you like what I've got scheduled next. I have it outlined and will get it written as soon as I can.

Nan

Earth is the insane asylum for the universe.
S
Top Banana
Top Banana
S
I'm still reading your story, Nan! I love all your series, and I'm always happy when a new story is up! Unfortunately I really have no time left at the end of the day during these months, but I try to read even if I cannot post FDK as much as I'd like; I love your story, please keep posting it! smile1

Simona smile

Blogger
Blogger
As always Nan, I love your stories. thumbsup Please keep writing...

Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
I was beginning to wonder if people are getting a little bored with my writing.
Not a chance. I just haven't had a chance to get online for more than a minute or two in almost two weeks. grumble

Can't wait for the next part. laugh

Janine

I Do Whatever My Rice Krispies Tell Me To

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard