Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
OOOoh! I get to be first! *squee*!

OK... commenting as I read. smile

"Surgery," Martha repeated in disbelief. "Our boy is in surgery, Jonathan."
*shrieks* Oh no!!!!

The phone began to ring and the clerk spoke rapidly as she reached to answer it. "I don't have that information. Let me get this call and then we'll see if we can have someone from the CCU come talk to you."
This, however, I fully expected. heh.

Not matter how hard he concentrated his feet remained firmly on the ground. What in the world had happened?
Yeah, we'd all like to find out - but I'm sure Sue isn't going to tell us just yet... is she? :p

Lois looked up at the clear blue sky above them. There was no sign of him. It was foolish to think that somehow Superman would have known they were in trouble and shown up.
He does know! And he's there... he's just not *super* at the moment. dammit!!

Clark had been surprised when Lois kicked him off his feet and even more surprised when a bullet had gone through his thigh.
Oh no!!! frown

He had been shot again in the struggle and he could feel this bullet, hot and deep to the bone at the bottom of his right rib cage.
Egads!!!! Poor Clarkie! mecry

His glasses were missing and she wondered just how blind he was without them.
*giggles* maybe now that he's lost them she'll see better, too? hehehe!

Clark was almost angry with her as he contemplated how to get her to leave him there.
Silly man!!! Of course she's not going to leave you there... don't you realize that by now?

"Remember how you said I could ask you anything?" she asked.
Lois, Lois... you can always ask him for anything (I'm sorry, I couldn't help that... *lol* but it's truuuuuue!!!)

There was a bright blue fabric beneath his shirt and her mind seemed to stutter as she tried to make sense of it.
Uh oh...

"Please don't hate me," he said softly.
See, I think she's going to have a fit -- but I kinda expect she'd mostly going to freak out over the fact that he's hurt. Superman is invulnerable. Bullets should bounce off him, not go right through like a hot knife through butter. That's sure to have her completely flipped out.

Can't wait to find out what he "actual" reaction is going to be.

Great part - excellent suspense. smile Had me on the edge of my seat, holding my breath just about the whole time. Loved every second of it!!

Superman: Why is it that good villains never die?
Batman: Clark, what the hell are good villains?
=> Superman/Batman: Public Enemies
Merriwether
Merriwether
Sue, how do you keep getting better? I mean, really. The determination feels real.

Loved the candy bar.

I think, therefore, I get bananas.

When in doubt, think about time travel conundrums. You'll confuse yourself so you can forget what you were in doubt about.

What's the difference between ignorance, apathy, and ambivalence?
I don't know and I don't care one way or the other.
Columnist
Columnist
goofy
That candy bar, on your desk? When we get home, can I have it?"
rotflol This part really got me laughing!! It was just perfect sweet little scene between all the action!!
Clark was Superman
ooh yay she knows!! But still, how can superman be hurt?? wink

"I have no regrets. If you regret things, then you're sort of stepping backwards.
I'm a believer in going forwards." ~Kate Winslet
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Wow awesome stuggle for life and what a place to leave us. More soon. great job. Laura

Clark: “If we can be born in an instant, and die in an instant, why can’t we fall in love in an instant?”

Caroline's "Stardust"
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Ooh! Part 4 of 6! We're getting closer...

The phone began to ring and the clerk spoke rapidly as she reached to answer it. "I don't have that information. Let me get this call and then we'll see if we can have someone from the CCU come talk to you."
The CCU?!! Isn't that the Coronary Care Unit? What's going on? eek

"He thinks you do." Mickey pointed at Clark and addressed his next comments to him. "You expect me to believe that you two just followed me to the airport and flew out here on the chance that I was going to be doing something big?"
They did, Mickey! Really they did!

First her hip, then her shoulder slammed into solid rock.
The main thing I was thinking here was 'Ow! Man, that had to hurt!'.

"I'm not going to argue with you, Clark. Can you sit down? We can scoot back down the hill on our butts."
Okay, I know it makes sense for them to do this, but I kinda couldn't help laughing at the image it presented... dizzy

I thought that this was a fantastic part, Sue. I'm definitely looking forward to the penultimate part...soon? Please?

~Anna.

Lois: Jimmy, give me back my dress.
Clark: Now there's something you don't hear around the newsroom everyday.
Blogger
Blogger
This really has me holding my breath in anticipation. I love the way each section starts in the present with Martha and Jonathan and then leaves us hanging as it reverts to the past and continuation of the story (not that I want to be left hanging you understand frown , I'm just dying to know what happened). Can't wait for the next post.

Annette

~aks
"Reading gives us someplace to go when we have to stay where we are." - Mason Cooley
Top Banana
Top Banana
I'm torn between wanting an update and wanting the story to drag out a bit longer. smile I absolutely love it. I too love the way you start with Martha and Jonathan and how you leave them as confused as we are as to why their boy is in surgery! This chapter was so well written. I was cringing along with Clark and Lois! I can't wait to see what else you have in store for them or why Clark was actually hurt!

Laura.

Thanks to CapeFetish for the awesome icon. smile
Columnist
Columnist
Perfect in every way and now I am way too late for bed and too excited to think of sleeping.

Loved it. Have a save trip with lots of fun and then come back and give us the rest of the story.

Top Banana
Top Banana
OMG! Get back here! I cannot even form a coherent sentence! dizzy

I'm a firm believer in the fact that God doesn't put any more on us than we can bear. He does however make us come to Jesus every so often.
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
The clerk tapped on the keyboard in front of her. "Your daughter-in-law is in room 314 and your son is currently in surgery."
What?!

Clark was Superman.
wildguy wildguy wildguy wildguy

Are you serious?

God, I've done way too much yelling at written material today. Get back here! You cannot leave me at a bullet-wound-comparisoned-revelation! Ugh, I'm off to stew about this.

wink
JD

"Meg...who let you back in the house?" -Family Guy
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Lois felt her stomach flip over in cold terror. This was it. This was how it ended. On a perfectly beautiful, clear-skied day she was going to be worm food.
lol
I love the way you put that!
Man, what a revelation story! I don't think I've seen the like in fanfiction. Now solve the mystery of why Clark is not Super!
cool
Artemis

History is easy once you've lived it. - Duncan MacLeod
Writing history is easy once you've lived it. - Artemis
T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
Excellently written, Sue.

I knew you would just keep teasing us with the Martha and Jonathan part, but it's still so frustrating to be told so little! The CCU? The Coronary Care Unit? Let's be thankful it wasn't the CSI....

"You're going to kill us for nothing. We don't know anything." Lois looked up at the clear blue sky above them. There was no sign of him. It was foolish to think that somehow Superman would have known they were in trouble and shown up.
So perfect! So horribly frustrating! The Superman-colored sky is as off limits to him right now as it is to you, Lois. But like Lara said, he's right beside you.

Lois felt her stomach flip over in cold terror. This was it. This was how it ended. On a perfectly beautiful, clear-skied day she was going to be worm food.
Like Lara, I have to pause at this. This is not how we usually talk about death these days. We don't spend a lot of time imagining what actually happens to dead bodies after murderers or doctors or coroners or undertakers are done with them. I just had a class of mine perform a wildly abridged version of Hamlet that I had written myself - in Swedish, too, since this was part of a lesson about literature that Swedes read in Swedish, whether it was originally written in Swedish or translated - anyway, I had Hamlet contemplate Yorick's skull, wondering where the jester's lips had gone, the lips that Hamlet had kissed so many times as a child. I guess worms had eaten them.

I like the contrast between the (now unattainable) clear blue skies above and the maggots that will attack dead bodies in or on the ground.

Who would Tony shoot first? Her vision blurred as she realized it would probably be Clark.
Beautiful. She is able to contemplate, relatively coldly, the question of which of them will be killed first. But her vision blurs with tears when she realizes that she will probably be alive to watch Tony shoot and kill Clark.

Her mind raced as her feet slowly plodded closer to their grave.
Beautiful contrast.

They had reached the mouth of the mine.
How interesting. Artemis was right that mines were involved in this.

She steeled herself to stop shaking and kicked at Clark, catching him off-guard so that he sprawled forward.

Clark had been surprised when Lois kicked him off his feet and even more surprised when a bullet had gone through his thigh.
In the previous chapter, Clark said that he knew that Lois would protect him. She did! If she hadn't kicked him, he would have taken that bullet in his chest.

But the sounds of struggle continued until there was another gunshot, then another in quick succession and Tony let out a loud bellow that fell away with an echoing Doppler effect.
Wonder if you put the Doppler effect in on my account, Sue? The Doppler effect is the change in pitch you can hear when something first approaches you, then catches up with you and overtakes you, going away from you. Think of an ambulance that first approaches you and then drives past. The pitch of the sound it makes changes. Also, of course, as it drives further and further away from you, the sound it makes gets fainter and fainter.

"Gun," Clark rasped out. "I have the gun, but I can't... Come get it. Be careful. There's a drop."
I like it. Clark can't shoot. There are two possible reasons for it. One, he is too hurt to be able to really aim at Randy. Two, he can't bring himself to actually, deliberately shoot another person to death.

She knew he would kill them, but she still wasn't sure she could shoot him.
And maybe Lois can't kill him either. I like the fact that she is so uncomfortable about shooting another person.

Just go away, her mind chanted. Just go away.

A dark silhouette appeared at the mine's entrance. "Tony?"

Lois swallowed, her finger trembling on the trigger. Go away. Just go away. Beside her Clark became absolutely silent and still.
I love this. It is so incredibly tense. We are just waiting for the explosion.

"Clark?" Lois touched his face, unable to make out his features in the dim light of the mine. His glasses were missing and she wondered just how blind he was without them.
Hmmmm, you have to wonder how blind Lois is going to be, now that his glasses are gone.

"He's going to... bring back... the others. You... have to... get away from here," he wheezed. "Just go."

"Can you stand up?" Her hands moved to his shoulders and for a moment she remembered kissing him last night, how thrilled she had been by those shoulders. What if she never got to kiss him again?

"Lois, please..." She had to get out of here; it wouldn't take too much time for Randy to catch up to Mickey. They were going to come back.

"Would you leave me?" Lois was horrified that he would even suggest she abandon him.

He tried to reason with her, panting against the pain. "Places reversed... I could... carry you."

"Then I'll carry you." She tugged on his arm, forcing him to a sitting position.

He groaned in agony. "Too heavy."

"I won't leave you. So quit arguing with me. If you want me out of here, you're going to have to go with me."

Clark was sweating now and he gulped in air. "You're killing me."

"I'm trying to save your life."
Great dialogue. They want to save each other. I particularly love the last things that Lois and Clark say to each other here.

She braced her knees, keeping her arms clasped around him and almost laughed at the thought that they were like carefully stacked cards - each of them was holding the other up.
Great simile. I love the idea that Lois and Clark need each other so badly that they are doomed to fall without the other one.

"Shot you..." he said weakly, pointing at her shoulder.

Lois looked at the crimson stain on his shirt. "He shot you, too."

"Your face..."

"My face?" she shot back. "You should see your face before you start making fun of me."
Oh, so Lois and Clark!

"Remember how you said I could ask you anything?" she asked.

"Yeah," he answered.

"That candy bar, on your desk? When we get home, can I have it?"
So you better make sure you both make it home then, Clark.

Clark was almost hopeful. It was easier to breathe now even though he could still feel the bullet inside him and the dull throb in his leg had not abated.
Is he getting slightly, slightly better? Is the sun reviving him, just a little?

Then Clark caught sight of the bruises and welts on her ribs. "Oh, Lois," he breathed. "Why didn't you tell me?"

Lois self-consciously crossed her arms over her chest as he leaned closer to look. "I couldn't. You wouldn't have come with me. I couldn't leave you."
razz

"I'm so sorry." He looked almost desperate as his voice dropped to an urgent whisper. "Please, Lois, don't be angry."

"Angry?" she asked, thoroughly confused. She tugged her hand free of his and pulled his shirt up.

Clark let out a groan and dropped his head back. It hit the side of the culvert with a dull 'thunk'. "I'm sorry, Lois. I should never have let this happen."
Poor Clark.

"This isn't your fault..." Lois paused, unable to process what she was looking at. There was a bright blue fabric beneath his shirt and her mind seemed to stutter as she tried to make sense of it. She blinked and wondered if the heat was making her delusional. The material was ripped where a bullet had entered and it was stiff and dark with blood. Even so the Suit was still recognizable.
Yes, Lois. It's Superman's suit. And Clark is Superman. Only he isn't super any more, at least not right now.

"Please don't hate me," he said softly.

Her mind went into overdrive, remembering the intensity in his voice and the tension - no, the power, in his posture when he told Mickey to leave her alone last night. She recalled Superman's expression at the accident scene. He hadn't been surprised that she was in Vegas. Her first impression had been right. It was worry - because she had seen him there. That it was a staggering coincidence only occurred to her now.
Watch the cogs in Lois's brain slowly begin turning.

Their eyes met and she knew. It wasn't a hunch; it was the truth. She knew it as surely as if he had spoken the words.

Clark was Superman.
Watch the coin finally drop.

Okay, by the way, I know what happened to Clark! We are in UFO country, right? And everybody knows there is a huge government conspiracy going on, right? They are hiding the truth from us, aren't they?

Okay. Here's the truth. The FBI, or CIA, or NASA, or whoever, have come up with an anti-alien weapon that irradiates America's UFO-land with anti-alien-superpower rays. Anything that approaches the Earth from space and lands (or has landed) inside a spaceship will lose its powers when exposed to these rays! At least if it ventures outside. If the aliens stay in their spaceships they will be all right, because the government won't rob them of their chance of leaving! That's why Clark was all right as long as he was still inside the truck! Right, Sue?

Ann

Nan Offline
Kerth
Kerth
Eek! I haven't been doing much in the feedback line. This week has been busy. For the first time in my life I'm trying to account to the government for my brother's credit union account (and of course, the whole thing is confusing and the credit union isn't trying very hard to be cooperative)so I haven't had a lot of time between that and writing, but I've been reading when I could.

Evilness doesn't describe this story. When is the next part going up?

Nan

Earth is the insane asylum for the universe.
Kerth
Kerth
OMG! FDK! YAY!

I have less than two minutes to type this so that I can get to my niece's graduation, but I just had to stop on the way there to see if anyone had replied on the story. And you have! dance

A couple of quick notes. "CCU" also stands for "critical care unit", not just "coronary care unit".

Ann, Ann, Ann. I already said in the thread for part three that this has nothing to do with a government conspiracy. Nice try, though. laugh

I won't have 'net access again until late tonight, but I'll come back and be more effusive in my gratitude then. Thanks so much to everyone who's written in. It really does matter to me and it honestly does make me write and edit faster. I'm hoping to post part 5 on Tuesday or Wednesday. It really depends on how much editing I get done over the weekend.

Thanks guys! Mmmmmmmmwwwwwwaaaaahhhh! sloppy

Lois: You know, I have a funny feeling that you didn't tell me your biggest secret.

Clark: Well, just to put your little mind at ease, Lois, you're right.
Ides of Metropolis
E
Merriwether
Merriwether
E
But the sounds of struggle continued until there was another gunshot, then another in quick succession and Tony let out a loud bellow that fell away with an echoing Doppler effect.
Thank you for your succinct, informative explanation, Ann. I just heard a 9th grader totally get the answer to that one wrong last week at the science fair. They babbled on about radar and didn't get anywhere close to the truth. But I did just what the judges did, smiling and nodding as if their drivel made sense.

I must say, though, I've never heard the Doppler effect echo. When the Doppler effect takes place it's because the sound changes pitch as the object rushes past. But an echo takes place as the sound hits an object and bounces back. So you're saying the object making the sound went past, but the sound itself hit the side of the mine and echoed?

Bah! It's too confusing for me! I liked the part where Lois tears up when she realizes Clark will probably be shot first much better than the echoing Doppler part.

Also, while I'm in the mood for clarification, I've heard of the intensive care unit much more often than the critical care unit. Is it a different level of care? Or is it another name for the same thing?

Elisabeth
who liked this part much better than it sounds like when you read the fdbk

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Elizabeth, you're right about the Doppler effect. However, much the same sound experience is had when someone falls down a mineshaft (or well), yelling and the sound fades. That's how I imagined it. So just imagine someone screaming as they are falling down several hundred feet. This will probably not bode well for a calm night's sleep.
regards
Artemis

History is easy once you've lived it. - Duncan MacLeod
Writing history is easy once you've lived it. - Artemis
M
Merriwether
Merriwether
M
Awesome, Sue. I'm on pins and needles waiting for the next part.

lisa in the sky with diamonds
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Originally posted by Sue S.:
I'm hoping to post part 5 on Tuesday or Wednesday. I
Tuesday? Wednesday?!.... What about: Today?!?

I really don't know how to be able to wait for the next part without biting in my desk because of frustration mecry . So please ... don't let us wait too long, ok? hail

"Superman is what I can do. Clark is who I am."
T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
As for the Doppler effect, there is only one change in pitch. The pitch changes because the sound waves get "squeezed together" when the source of the sound is approaching, so when something that makes a sound approaches you, the pitch of the sound is higher. Then when it recedes from you, the sound waves get "stretched out", and the pitch is lower. The echo itself has nothing to do with the Doppler effect. An echo is an echo... anyone care to explain what an echo really is, scientifically speaking? Eh... I think Elisabeth just did.

And Sue!!! You don't like my government conspiracy theory???? WHAT??? Okay, I'll stick with a previous theory, then. It's the Bermuda Triangle! I mean, it's the Nevada triangle!

Ann

Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Wow! Once again excellent writing! I am totally hooked and can't wait to find out what's going on with Clark. I love how you start the chapters with martha and Jonathan. Even though it is worrying that Lois and Clark are in the hospital in bad shape, it also means they were rescued somehow from the desert and that is a relief! wink

Great revelation! It never even occured to me that he's probably wearing the suit underneath... :rolleyes: Wonder how Lois is going to react? But at this point, I am sure their injuries are priorities.

More soon please,
Natascha

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard