#39589 02/23/07 08:57 PM
K
Boards Chief Administrator
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Boards Chief Administrator
Pulitzer
K
You wrote something and didn't say anything? *gasp* I'm glad I peeked in here just at the right time, or I'd have missed it altogether!

I'm sitting here with a goofy smile on my face and and one of 'em WAFFs settled in my chest. laugh What a very sweet story! I don't really have the energy for more detailed feedback right now, but I will say I got that warm, cuddly feeling of comfort from Jordan's thinking scene. "Hearing" Lois and Clark in the background like that was just... it was like you could (I could, rather, because I'm a dork like that wink ) feel the love and feeling of home all around. (And that didn't come across at all right, but like I said, it's late. *sigh*)

Yay for writing more! You should do it more often! wink wildguy

Sara (who's off to hit the hay now)

Kerth nominations are opening on March 3!
🏆2024 Kerth Award Posts 🏆.

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, the show, life, and more!

You can also find me on Tumblr and AO3.

#39590 02/23/07 09:08 PM
Merriwether
Merriwether
That was beautiful. Looking beyond the obvious to someone who goes above and beyond without recognition-those are the true heroes.

I think, therefore, I get bananas.

When in doubt, think about time travel conundrums. You'll confuse yourself so you can forget what you were in doubt about.

What's the difference between ignorance, apathy, and ambivalence?
I don't know and I don't care one way or the other.
#39591 02/23/07 09:16 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Cute, Paul.

I've seen some other stories where kids are asked to write about their heroes. This is evidently something that is done in school, but somehow I don't ever remember doing that. Weird, huh?

~~Even heroes have the right to dream.~~
#39592 02/24/07 12:36 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
That was wonderful, Paul.

You took a mundane bit of cannon, then gave us insight into why it is, and so gave us more insight into the characters themselves. Nothing overstated, just really very good. smile

c.

#39593 02/24/07 01:13 AM
Merriwether
Merriwether
I agree with everyone else. It's cute, and I like how you not only show who each person's hero is, but why. And isn't it funny how both Kent boys chose their mom? laugh

"You need me. You wouldn't be much of a hero without a villain. And you do love being the hero, don't you. The cheering children, the swooning women, you love it so much, it's made you my most reliable accomplice." -- Lex Luthor to Superman, Question Authority, Justice League Unlimited
#39594 02/24/07 04:43 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Oh, Paul! You should really write more often. Really...

This was lovely. Waffy without being sickening sweet and very insightful.

Okay, I over analyze things way too much but it just brought a smile to my face to think of how much Jordan was like his father. His father's hero as a boy had been his mother, and his father's hero now was Jordon's mother, was Lois. And so Jordon's hero was both his mother and his father's hero.

Awwwww. goofy

Don't let so much time go before you write your next one.

-- DJ

Smile and the world smiles with you ... frown and you're just giving yourself wrinkles.
#39595 02/24/07 04:51 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
awww! How sweet! Loved it, Paul. smile

Superman: Why is it that good villains never die?
Batman: Clark, what the hell are good villains?
=> Superman/Batman: Public Enemies
#39596 02/24/07 07:49 AM
V
vsp Offline
Freelance Reporter
Freelance Reporter
V
Hehe, for a while there I thought Jordan was going to choose Clark because he wasn't allowed to choose Superman... smile

#39597 02/24/07 10:30 AM
Kerth
Kerth
How sweet! I loved the way Clark and Jordan chose their respective mothers. It's so cute. I also liked that Lois chose to write about herself. It so fits her, and it's true in every sense of the word, considering her dysfuntional family.

The only known quantity that moves faster than
light is the office grapevine. (from Nan's fabulous Home series)
#39598 02/24/07 11:28 AM
M
Merriwether
Merriwether
M
That was great, Paul. I like the cutting back and forth between the past and the present as well as the overall poignancy. Good job.

lisa in the sky with diamonds
#39599 02/24/07 12:46 PM
SNL Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Paul,

Absolutely brilliant! clap

The pain and admiration hidden in these choices shines through.

I don't blame Lois or Jordan for chosing Lois as their hero and for Clark chosing Martha. The woman is always the back bone of the home and as we learn in Proverbs...

"A woman of worth who can one find, for her worth is greater than rubies".

Both Martha and Lois show there values and their love and support for their families.

Please Paul, may we have many more stories from you.

Regards,

Stuart

#39600 03/02/07 03:47 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
Great story, Paul!

"You take turns, advise and protect one another, even heal or be healed when the going gets too tough. I know! That's not a game--that's friendship!" ~Shelly Mezzanoble, Confessions of a Part-Time Sorceress: A Girl's Guide to the Dungeons & Dragons Game

Darcy\'s Place
#39601 03/03/07 03:57 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Guess I should rewrite my comments reply. Too bad I didn't save a copy of the first one.

Oh well. Just gives me an excuse to go back over all that FDK. laugh

So... thanks for the comments, everyone! smile Glad you guys enjoyed the story. smile

I got that warm, cuddly feeling of comfort from Jordan's thinking scene.
Very glad to hear that, Sara. I was a little worried about this story, because it felt kind of bare-bones to me. Sketched out. It had some themes and meaning and stuff to it (a first for me!), but it was light on detail. So, while I'm always happy to hear that a story of mine pulled you in, I'm especially happy to hear it this time.

I've seen some other stories where kids are asked to write about their heroes. This is evidently something that is done in school, but somehow I don't ever remember doing that. Weird, huh?
Truth to tell, I don't recall doing that, either. Maybe it's something that only happens in fictional universes. In any case, it's what makes the story work, so that's what's important to me. wink

You took a mundane bit of cannon, then gave us insight into why it is, and so gave us more insight into the characters themselves.
Thanks, Carol! And yay! You noticed the cooking theme! laugh

Nothing overstated, just really very good. smile
This was lovely. Waffy without being sickening sweet and very insightful.
Thanks! That's exactly what I was hoping for. smile

I also liked that Lois chose to write about herself. It so fits her, and it's true in every sense of the word, considering her dysfuntional family.
Yes! For me, that was the whole point of the story. Jordan's bookends allowed me to add a bit more, but the central moment, for me, was Lois's choice.

Also, a few of you pointed out that Jordan and Clark both chose their respective mothers. This is true, but it's only part of it.

Clark's hero was, "my mother, Martha Kent."

Lois's hero was, "myself, Lois Lane."

Jordan's was, "my mother, Lois Lane."

Jordan is what every child is - a new whole made up from parts of what came before. It's true of his choice of hero, it's true of his name ("Jordan Elliot" draws elements from all 3 sets of grandparents - Jor-El, Jonathan, and Ellen), and it's true of his reaction to the crowd (Clark's shyness, Lois's fierce temper, and then something uniquely his: a blend of Clark's geniality with Lois's confidence).

Please Paul, may we have many more stories from you.
Aww, shucks. blush

Unfortunately, the reason I've only written two stories (counting my DVD fic) in the past couple of years is not that I chose to retire or to work on writing something else. I seem to have run out of ideas, or the ability to flesh out old ones (I've got a folder that's been gathering virtual dust for years...). Thanks, though. smile

Thanks again to everyone who commented. Having been out of the game so long, it's really good to come back to such a warm reception. smile

Paul

When in doubt, think about penguins. It probably won't help, but at least it'll be fun.

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard