Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#38246 01/30/07 02:59 PM
IreneD Offline OP
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
Wow! For a non-writer, that was very, very powerful!

I loved this. Well done.

Irene

I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me at once.
#38247 01/30/07 03:10 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Very nice! (And yes, you did things just fine smile ) I've always had a certain fondness for Lt. Ching, and you did a great job with him. Very poignant, the contrast between Zara's hope (they can find Kal-El and fix everything) and Ching's hopelessness (he'll never be able to be with Zara). Thanks for sharing it with us!

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
#38248 01/30/07 04:06 PM
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
I was supposed to be closing down the mbs and pc before heading to bed...but somehow I find myself reading story comments and then I had to check this out. wink

The New Kryptonians were never my favourite characters, but I have to say that this was very sweet, Keri, and made me like both Ching and Zara more than I usually do. Your prose is very lyrical...for a non-writer. laugh I especially liked the repeat on the first paragraph and you have a keen sense of getting inside your character's head and painting his emotions.

Don't forget to send this along to the Archive if you want to - it'll be very welcome!

Welcome to the playground - hope to see more from you! And don't worry about not getting the details right - we don't tend to yell for that here. If you get it wrong someone might nudge you gently in the right direction, but that's about it. smile

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
#38249 01/30/07 04:28 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Hey welcome!

And um yeah, whatever; you are so a writer just waiting to happen! smile That was really amazing, and you should think about writing more often.

JD

"Meg...who let you back in the house?" -Family Guy
#38250 01/30/07 04:47 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Not a writer? You could have fooled me. wink
(and you know, most of us aren't writers either, really... I'm not - I just pretend.)

This was a great little fic. smile I hope you'll be back with more, Keri! smile

Superman: Why is it that good villains never die?
Batman: Clark, what the hell are good villains?
=> Superman/Batman: Public Enemies
#38251 01/30/07 07:14 PM
T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
Welcome to the ranks of the addicted, Keri. Your initial offering is excellent. One of the story forms I've never been able to master is the short, meaningful vignette, but you nailed it first time out of the box. I'm jealous of yet another writer.

And yes, you are a writer. If you put words in a row, have the courage to put them in front of people and let them express their feelings about your creation, you are a writer. I hope we see many more high-quality offerings from you in the near future. Thank you for sharing this one.

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing
#38252 01/31/07 01:36 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Very well done! I've never been a fan of either Zara or Ching since the two of them took Clark away from Lois. (And at least in my country it was not so sure if there would be a season 4)

But you described the two of them and Ching especially, in a way that makes me liking them. Impressive! Don't tell you're not a writer. Because if you make me feel what your characters feel, you most definitely are a writer. Unlike some people who actually published books.

It's never too dark to be cool. cool
#38253 01/31/07 07:10 AM
K
Blogger
Blogger
K
You'll all forgive me if this fdk makes me a bit fangirlish. It's so strange to see the names of people whose fics I've read.

Hi Irene!

Wow! For a non-writer, that was very, very powerful!
Thank you! I'm glad you enjoyed it. I really haven't written anything since high school and that was a very, very long time ago.

Hey PJ,

Very nice! (And yes, you did things just fine ) I've always had a certain fondness for Lt. Ching, and you did a great job with him. Very poignant, the contrast between Zara's hope (they can find Kal-El and fix everything) and Ching's hopelessness (he'll never be able to be with Zara). Thanks for sharing it with us!
Don't get me started on NK as it was treated. I'll have to be in agreement with a lot of the views I've seen from FOLCdom. So much potential and yet, the series rushed it. I think I was addressing one of the parts that seemed the most interesting to me--the dynamic between Ching and Zara, which I thought wasn't built nearly enough. I'm really glad you liked it (and that I did everything correctly smile )

Labrat!

I'm glad you decided to read my little snippet even not liking the Kryptonians.

Your prose is very lyrical...for a non-writer. I especially liked the repeat on the first paragraph and you have a keen sense of getting inside your character's head and painting his emotions.
I think it's just the fact that I don't know if what I write truly sounds good or if it's all in my head. I'm happy this worked out well, it felt like a gamble--there's a lot of sentences I felt unsure about. I'm definitely seeing the beauty of having a beta.

As for capturing Ching, I do think the whole control of the self thing is interesting especially with respect to the circumstances. I tried to keep that balance--like I wasn't sure that he'd outright mention he loves Zara, even in his head. So I fell back on "knowing her" as a type of admission close to that. So when he says that knowing her is not enough in my head it sounds like loving her is not enough.

Hey JD:

And um yeah, whatever; you are so a writer just waiting to happen! That was really amazing, and you should think about writing more often.
This was really fun (even second guessing every word I wrote haha). I'd love to write more. It's just the whole idea thing (apart from the putting it into writing thing wink ). I can't even imagine writing anything long--but I have some ideas floating around. Lets see if I manage to get them on paper.

LaraMoon!

Not a writer? You could have fooled me.
(and you know, most of us aren't writers either, really... I'm not - I just pretend.)
Pretend?! You wrote a whole novel, missy. Don't think I'm THAT new. smile By the way your avatar rocks my world. This experience really helped though, so I might "pretend" some more. laugh Hopefully like Labrat said--if I make some glaring error people will just push me onto the right path without kicking my butt wink

Hi Terri!

Welcome to the ranks of the addicted, Keri. Your initial offering is excellent. One of the story forms I've never been able to master is the short, meaningful vignette, but you nailed it first time out of the box. I'm jealous of yet another writer.
Wow. I'm taken back at this. Thank you so much. What I wrote was so small in the face of so many fics that truly draw me in. How about you and I trade? wink I'll trade you any "vignette skills" I may have for your skills in crafting long fics that have spot on characterizations and well-thought out, amazing plots. laugh

Hi Bakasi,

Very well done! I've never been a fan of either Zara or Ching since the two of them took Clark away from Lois.But you described the two of them and Ching especially, in a way that makes me liking them. Impressive!
I know! What a season ender, I wanted to scream. I really wanted Lois to go with them, it would have made it less the cheap "We're going to try to keep them apart" plot device.
I'm happy I made you like them smile

Thanks everyone for taking the time to reply and let me know what you think. This is all really encouraging--I look forward to posting again some time. thumbsup

#38254 01/31/07 07:58 AM
J
Merriwether
Merriwether
J
Welcome Keri. Wow! Nicely done.

Jackie

Superman: I hear you've been looking for me.
Lois: All my life.
#38255 02/01/07 11:36 AM
K
Blogger
Blogger
K
Thanks so much! smile

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard