Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
F
Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
F
I don't get why you have Clark so worried about CSD? Is that an East Coast thing?
“Clark Kent?” the woman asked, icily. Her voice indicated that she wasn’t sure whether the man in front of her was really the right one. What did she expect? That he would be greeting her with a knife rather than just his hand? That he had tattoos all over his body or that the word dangerous was written on his forehead? He knew that she was one of those ladies from the Child Services that were visiting him with a frustrating frequency.

“Yes,” he replied with a forced smile and held out his hand.

“I’m here because of Rebecca Kent,” the woman said. She didn’t take his hand, she didn’t introduce herself, she just watched him like he was a particularly ugly piece of mud.

Clark couldn’t think of a single one of those ladies who had been unfriendlier than her. It looked like New Troy had already heard of him and had sent its worst watchdog. Clark tried to ignore her contemptuous expression, and forced himself to keep smiling. He failed.
In my part of the world CSD is not very powerful and frankly often ineffective in doing what they are charged with doing, protecting Children.

Framework4
Top Banana
Top Banana
If Clark is listed as Becca's real father, then why is SS involved?

When will Clark tell Lois that he is Superman?

I'm a firm believer in the fact that God doesn't put any more on us than we can bear. He does however make us come to Jesus every so often.
Pulitzer
Online Content
Pulitzer
I wouldn't tell you yet, would I? That kind of spoils the story. Wait for part 3 to learn more.

It's never too dark to be cool. cool
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
tsk, tsk! You guys are too impatient - it's meant to have a little suspense and you will definitely understand everything soon enough. smile

In my part of the world CSD is not very powerful and frankly often ineffective in doing what they are charged with doing, protecting Children.
Maybe - but once they target someone and they have reason to believe a child might be in some sort of danger, they usually follow up. Plus, I think Clark managed to rub someone the wrong way over there and they suspect him of something that they just can't prove yet. Maybe he's like the ultimate prize - you know, like for a real-estate agent, selling a home that's been listed for sooooooooo long and nobody wants? Well, then maybe Clark is the big fish that no one's been able to catch yet and they all want to get him red-handed doing something, because whoever does that is likely to get a promotion. It's a huge incentive and since he's not actually doing anything wrong, they might keep on trying for a long while.

My 2 cents... not worth much, after conversion, but they have this nifty image of Queen Elizabeth on them. *lol*

Thanks to LaraMoon for doing the beta-reading. That must be an awful lot of work.
Work? Noooo! Fun. smile Finding time is sometimes harder, these days, but reviewing your stories is always a pleasure. You know how much I love Becca!!

The scene with Mrs. Edwards is really good!! You can just feel how nasty she is. Mean old lady!

“Kent, you write an interesting amount of articles about Superman’s rescues, more than anyone else. How do you do that?” Perry asked.

Clark shrugged. “I’m lucky, I guess.”
This always makes me laugh. Lucky. Right! *lol* I like that he hasn't come out and mentioned that he knows Superman. That would have been trouble anyway - Lois would have gone crazy trying to get him to confess how he knows him. *lol*

Perry interrupted him. “I don’t want to know what you don’t. He has been in the city for three weeks now. I want this interview. Grab his cape and pull him down from the sky, if necessary.”
And this is just brilliant - "I don't want to know what you don't" smile I can totally imagine Perry saying that.

Nice part, Barbara. smile

Superman: Why is it that good villains never die?
Batman: Clark, what the hell are good villains?
=> Superman/Batman: Public Enemies
Kerth
Kerth
notworthy I'm bowing to the new Queen of Clifhangers! notworthy

I don't know how you're doing this. It's nothing short of 'totally awesome'! Can't wait for the next part!

The only known quantity that moves faster than
light is the office grapevine. (from Nan's fabulous Home series)
Top Banana
Top Banana
Nice premise .... thumbsup wave

If she had to move heaven and Earth, perhaps come back to haunt Perry and explain the story after they'd killed her, she would do it.

Waking a Miracle by Aria
T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
I, too, am intrigued at Clark's fear of the woman from the Child Services. It seems to me that if they truly believe that Clark is Becca's biological father, they wouldn't question his right to have Becca with him. Admittedly, if they even suspect that he has no biological ties with Becca, they might start fantasizing about him being a dangerous pedophile in a way they would never do if Clark had been Clara or Claire, a single woman who took care of her deceased boyfriend's biological child. Men are discriminated against that way, it's true. Of course, I have to wonder, too - has anything really bad ever happened to Becca?

There are some great quotes in this chapter:

He always tried to be there in time for the emergencies, they really could come in time for him once in a while, Clark mused grimly. But the world was giving him the cold shoulder; it just remained annoyingly silent.
I think this is an example of what is called magical thinking... but can't we all relate?

“Clark Kent?” the woman asked, icily. Her voice indicated that she wasn’t sure whether the man in front of her was really the right one. What did she expect? That he would be greeting her with a knife rather than just his hand? That he had tattoos all over his body or that the word dangerous was written on his forehead?
Uh-oh.

Lois knew that he wasn’t Superman, and that he could very well have his weak moments, but she didn’t quite understand how this strange woman had managed to push him into this state of distress.
Lois knew that Clark wasn't Superman... oh, gaaaahh.

Lois was annoyed that they just couldn’t find anything reliable. She was tempted to blame it on Clark - she had never been so unsuccessful when she had still been on her own -
Noooo!!!!

but that couldn’t be it, because he was working hard. He was at her side whenever they had tried to investigate the arsons and Lois knew that he was good. Clark had proven himself as a worthy reporter more than once. It wouldn’t be reasonable to make him the scapegoat.
Well, remember that, Lois.

Clark hadn’t actually planned for Lois to meet Superman twice in such a short time, but he hadn’t been able to help himself. The glances she shot the hero were addictive. The brief moments where he could make himself believe that she was in love with him were just too precious to let them pass.
Ever thought of letting her know that Clark is Superman, Clark?

“Perry, I don’t…” Clark began.

Perry interrupted him. “I don’t want to know what you don’t.
So Perry!

I want this interview. Grab his cape and pull him down from the sky, if necessary.”
hyper hyper hyper

Ann

Pulitzer
Online Content
Pulitzer
Gee, thanks to all of you. You're making my day, do you know that? smile1

I don't know how you're doing this. It's nothing short of 'totally awesome'! Can't wait for the next part
Neither do I, Mellie. I hadn't even considered this one a cliffhanger, but I'm glad you liked it.

I, too, am intrigued at Clark's fear of the woman from the Child Services. It seems to me that if they truly believe that Clark is Becca's biological father, they wouldn't question his right to have Becca with him. Admittedly, if they even suspect that he has no biological ties with Becca, they might start fantasizing about him being a dangerous pedophile in a way they would never do if Clark had been Clara or Claire, a single woman who took care of her deceased boyfriend's biological child. Men are discriminated against that way, it's true. Of course, I have to wonder, too - has anything really bad ever happened to Becca?
Exactly what I was thinking, Ann! I sometimes wonder if my father wasn't the cuddling kind of guy, just because he feared that someone would call him pedophil. He sometimes has such ideas. But maybe he just isn't the cuddling kind of guy anyway.

He used to carry me on his shoulders whenever we went to Cologne, because my parents were afraid I could get lost there. Very likely around Christmas, I have to admit. But I was afraid, not of the heights, but of falling down and I screamed. He almost dropped me, afraid that someone could accuse him that he was hurting me. wink

I think that I will give some reasons that will suffice to convince Child Services of Clark being dangerous. At least Lara stated that she found my explanations reasonable.

The next part, however, will explain a lot.

It's never too dark to be cool. cool
Columnist
Columnist
this was a great part like always and I can't wait for the next one. smile1

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Clark had made sure that the Child Services had gotten his change of address.
I’m still not understanding what they have against Clark. (Yes, I know I’ve said this before.) But they don’t just keep hounding people without cause. Especially in a city like Metropolis. She’s loved, well-fed, not neglected, and not abused. What else could they ask for? Clark being a single father is just no reason for them to keep after him. It’s unlikely that Becca would even be followed from one district to the next. I find it very improbable.

Clark couldn’t think of a single one of those ladies who had been unfriendlier than her.
Could she be any worse than the one that was in Smallville?

Mr. Kent, given your history, we have every reason to check on her.
What history!?

Or was she just trying to give him a hard time, to punish him for what he had done?
But he hasn’t done anything! What could he possibly have done that is so horrible?

Perry interrupted him. “I don’t want to know what you don’t. He has been in the city for three weeks now. I want this interview.
Better do that interview, Clark.

Grab his cape and pull him down from the sky, if necessary.
Absolutely fantastic line.

He couldn’t tell them anyway why Child Services were so keen on getting Becca away from him.
Could you tell us?

I don't get why you have Clark so worried about CSD? Is that an East Coast thing?
Not from what I’ve heard about New York City or Washington, D.C., and I believe those are the two largest cities on the east coast.

That’s been my experience, too. And I’ve lived all over the US.

If Clark is listed as Becca's real father, then why is SS involved?
Yes, unless Clark told them, they’d have to reason to think otherwise.

Maybe - but once they target someone and they have reason to believe a child might be in some sort of danger, they usually follow up.
Not very likely considering how much Clark has moved around (at least not in the States). I find it highly unlikely. Do you know how many kids out there that are truly abused (burned, beaten, raped, starved, etc)? This is going to have to be something major for me to be convinced. And unless Clark’s personality would have a major change - as in an true elseworld fic (which as I understand it, Bakasi has said she doesn’t do) - then I’m going to be hard pressed to buy it. I might also mention that Patrick (FrameWork 4), Sheila, and I all have medical ties and would have seen the things that can happen. (Oh, yeah, I’ve seen far too much.) A wise person recently told me that if enough people are telling you that something isn’t working, then it isn’t working - I reference my infamous Clark’s taking of one’s memory.. (Please don’t be too mad at me Barbara. You know I love your stories - with the exception of the aspect of social services chasing after Clark like a maniac.)

Plus, I think Clark managed to rub someone the wrong way over there and they suspect him of something that they just can't prove yet.
Okay, yes I can one overzealous person going after Clark. Or even one overzealous agency. But not several all around the country. If they suspected sexual abuse then they’d darn well be doing exams on Becca to find out. If they suspected she was being beaten they’d be doing xrays and looking for scars, etc. to find it. They’d be doing intensive interviews with Becca. And they can obviously see that she isn’t starving.

Well, then maybe Clark is the big fish that no one's been able to catch yet and they all want to get him red-handed doing something, because whoever does that is likely to get a promotion.
In the social work industry? Not likely.

It's a huge incentive and since he's not actually doing anything wrong, they might keep on trying for a long while.
Not buying it. It’s going to be HARD to convince me.

My 2 cents... not worth much, after conversion, but they have this nifty image of Queen Elizabeth on them. *lol*
It is kind of nifty isn’t it? Abe Lincoln and Queen Elizabeth. Imagine that.

The scene with Mrs. Edwards is really good!! You can just feel how nasty she is. Mean old lady!
Yes, I can see how nasty she is, too.

Oh, Barbara, your writing and your English just keeps improving and improving. I eagerly await the next part and your explanation. Please don't make us wait long.

~~Even heroes have the right to dream.~~
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Mr. Kent, given your history, we have every reason to check on her.
What history!?
You'll find out soon enough. Not everything absolutely has to be explained to the reader before they start reading the story - they find out about them while they read. You know, building suspense, keeping readers guessing... that sort of thing.

Trust me. He *has* a history. And from their side of the fence, it doesn't look very pretty. I'm not going to spoil it any more than this.

Superman: Why is it that good villains never die?
Batman: Clark, what the hell are good villains?
=> Superman/Batman: Public Enemies
Top Banana
Top Banana
Eagerly awaiting the next chapter!

"You take turns, advise and protect one another, even heal or be healed when the going gets too tough. I know! That's not a game--that's friendship!" ~Shelly Mezzanoble, Confessions of a Part-Time Sorceress: A Girl's Guide to the Dungeons & Dragons Game

Darcy\'s Place
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Hi,

Great part! hyper

Maria D. Ferdez.
---
Don't like Luthor, unfinished, untitled and crossover story, and people that promises and don't deliver. I'm getting choosy with age.
MAF

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard