Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
Will comment!

And now I shall:

Martha had been noting the rising tension in her tall son’s frame, but hadn’t been prepared to see such stark terror.
Poor Martha. thumbsup

Clark felt that his father’s eyes going over him carefully, and felt that he could see right through him, taking in every bruise, every cut, every scar and scrape. Every sore rib, every fearful beat of his heart. And then, he looked back into his eyes, more deadly serious than he had ever seen him.

“So what are you going to do about it?”
YAY Johnathan!

“It’s like what you said,” Jonathan replied, his voice slurring slightly. “You can hope, Clark. That…that’s really all of us have got. Don’t you ever stop hoping. And with that hope, you do what you know is right. You might be the man of steel but your mother and I know you have the most gentle heart as anyone beneath that. Keep that heart, son. You were sent here for a reason. You can’t let a little fear get in the way of the good you can do, or evil really does win, no matter how many times you’re able to escape with your life.” He smiled. “You’ll be all right.”
Yup, Johnathan is a wonderful person. Great paragraph. Clark can pull through. I hope Lois and him can pull through it together. I'm glad Johnathan wasn't scared enough by Clark's looks and kidnapping to help him. I guess I knew he wouldn't but you never know how bad it can get!!!

WHOOOOHOOOOO KENTS!

Thanks for the gift!

I've converted to lurk-ism... hopefully only temporary.
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
“Don’t be sorry,” Jonathan gruffed softly. “You came in here like a shadow. Scared me to death. Hardly recognized you, all hunched and dark and pale like that. Th-thought I was seeing a ghost or something, or that they might have beat your spirit, which is even worse. But…you’re in there. You’re still the boy we raised, no matter what they do and say. That’s your true strength, Clark Kent. Not that you can lift rockets or bend metal with your bare hands—you’re Clark. My son. A good, strong boy with good raising. No matter what, you’re who you are. You’ll be all right.” He sighed again. “You’ll be all right.”

Clark wanted to cry.

“I…I wish I knew that, Dad.”

“It’s like what you said,” Jonathan replied, his voice slurring slightly. “You can hope, Clark. That…that’s really all of us have got. Don’t you ever stop hoping. And with that hope, you do what you know is right. You might be the man of steel but your mother and I know you have the most gentle heart as anyone beneath that. Keep that heart, son. You were sent here for a reason. You can’t let a little fear get in the way of the good you can do, or evil really does win, no matter how many times you’re able to escape with your life.” He smiled. “You’ll be all right.”
Bravo! Bravo! That's a beautifully written moment. Way to go Dad. Reminding Clark of his real strength.

A wonderful christmas present!

doublel

G
Blogger
Blogger
G
Hi!

I was very pleased to see your post tonight. Thank you for a great Christmas gift!!!

I really like the way you show Jonathan and Martha's unconditional love for Clark. The interaction between Clark and his parents is wonderful. Parents can make a huge difference in a child's life. You really know how to show that special relationship between parent and child in your writing. Especially in the way Clark tells his father more about the horrors of his ordeal. And Jonathan's wise understanding of his son. Very touching scene.

I'm starting to wonder what you have planned for Lois and Clark when they first meet again after this ordeal? Hopefully, Lois will figure out Clark is Superman sooner rather than later! Just my take on your story so far. Lois seems pretty smart so she should be able to figure it out, I hope. Or, maybe Clark will need Lois support & be so greatful for her help that he might actually tell her?

Can't wait for the next post after Christmas. I'll be watching for it. Have a great holiday!

G. Kuhn
T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
Merry Christmas, Rachel! Thank you for the very nice present.

I love it that Jonathan challenged Clark to fight through the pain and the terror and the fear of torture and death to accept what happened to him and deal with it. It's not what Martha would have done, nore even something Martha could have done, I believe, but instead of being on opposing sides they were actually counseling and treating different parts of Clark. Martha was so frightened by the physical aspect of Clark's injuries (although she certainly didn't miss the psychological aspects), and Jonathan was frightened by what he perceived as Clark's mental injuries over his bodily injuries. So he challenged his son to see if he'd been broken completely or just bent badly.

It turns out that maybe Clark isn't bent quite as badly as even he feared. He confessed to a desire to track down those responsible for his imprisonment and kill them, but in almost the same breath he realizes that he couldn't possibly do that and remain Superman.

I also wonder what he's going to do about Lois. I doubt he'll be able to simply pretend that nothing happened between them, and it's a safe bet that she won't ignore it! There's still a lot of drama and angst to wring out of this story, and you're doing a great job. Keep it up!

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
I really like the way you show Jonathan and Martha's unconditional love for Clark. The interaction between Clark and his parents is wonderful. Parents can make a huge difference in a child's life. You really know how to show that special relationship between parent and child in your writing. Especially in the way Clark tells his father more about the horrors of his ordeal. And Jonathan's wise understanding of his son. Very touching scene.
thumbsup

I've converted to lurk-ism... hopefully only temporary.
Top Banana
Top Banana
Thank you, Rachel for posting! This was yet another great chapter. But I am still anxious to see what happens when Clark meets up with Lois. wallbash

I'm a firm believer in the fact that God doesn't put any more on us than we can bear. He does however make us come to Jesus every so often.
Pulitzer
Online Content
Pulitzer
This was such a wonderful part. I loved Clark's outburst and how he is scraed of himself. The guy who usually never admits that something was hard for him, tells his parents that he would collapse if he didn't pretend that everything was all right. I can't wait to see Lois meeting the new Clark. He's somewhat scary now, I think.

Uhhhhh - come back soon!

And did you ever tell that you couldn't write stories? You prove yourself wrong!

It's never too dark to be cool. cool
T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
I, too, loved the interaction between Clark and Jonathan. I think Jonathan challenged Clark to dare to be himself again, and Clark probably needed to hear that. Beautifully written as always.

But I'm still waiting so eagerly for the confrontation(?) between Lois and Clark!

Merry Christmas, Rachel!!

Ann

Columnist
Columnist
I second that on the confrontation between Lois and Clark!

Great part! Thanks for the wonderful Christmas present! I loved Jonathon's support of Clark in this.

Merry Christmas! Looking forward to the next part.

Silence is golden.
Duct tape is silver.

~Saw it on a T-Shirt.
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Sorry for being negligent with posting fdk Rachel. I've had a lot going on.

I am still reading though, and still loving.

Thank goodness for Jonathan. Someone needed to pry Clark's stubborn "never-give-up" nature from deep inside him. With that small glimpse of it, there's hope. Hope that Clark can rise above all this.

Thanks!

-- DJ

Smile and the world smiles with you ... frown and you're just giving yourself wrinkles.
M
Merriwether
Merriwether
M
Good chapter. Clark needed Jonathan to test him; I am glad he did.

lisa in the sky with diamonds

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard