Previously:

“This wasn’t about getting the story.”

This was it. It was finally time to tell Lois the truth. She seemed willing to hear him, to really listen and he wanted her to know.
………

Clark Kent vs. Superman
By: Rhea
Part Four

This was not going to be easy.

“This was about Superman.” Clark glanced around and saw that they were alone.

Lois got a confused look on her face. “You were here to help Superman?”

“No, Lois. I am Superman.”

Lois nodded slowly. She took his hand and pulled him further away from the crowd so that they could sit on a park bench across from the burning building.

“Sit down, Clark. You have a head injury and I think you're a bit confused.”

Clark shook his head. “I know you wanted to understand the reason for all my disappearances. It's because I had to go help as Superman. I was given these powers and abilities and I couldn't just pretend that I didn't know there were people out there that I could help.”

She stared hard at him. Clark looked pale. He was bleeding and he was clearly delusional. Rather than argue with him, because he looked like he was about to pass out again she said slowly, “Okay, Clark. I'll believe you if you can fly us out of here.”

Clark grimaced. Of course, he would have to get exposed to kryptonite for the second time in less than twenty four hours just when he wanted to share his secret. He wondered how long it would take for him to regain his strength.

“I can't,” he said in a defeated voice.

“That's because you're only human, Clark.” She patted his hand in a way that was intended to comfort, but only served to annoy Clark. “We can't all be heroes, Clark, but you know you're special in your own way too.”

“I am?” Clark met her gaze and wasn't certain he liked the knowing gleam in her eye. He recognized that look and wished that he had his powers back. It helped to be bullet proof around Lois Lane.

“I know what this is all about,” Lois continued, with utter conviction.

“You do?” Clark asked, feeling as if he was being swept up in a hurricane named Lois. He was less sore, but the world seemed to be tilted at an odd angle. Clark wondered if he had actually hit his head harder than he had thought. He tentatively touched a tender spot at his temple and pulled his hand away to examine the blood on it. He did bleed red . . . just like everyone else.

Clark was certain Lois believed that she was being kind, but sounded only patronizing instead. “This is about that kiss I shared with Superman.”

“Huh?” Clark mentally rolled his eyes. Really good. Way to impress her with his witty repertoire. No wonder he never won a Pulitzer.

“Come on Clark, admit it. You're jealous! You see me kissing Superman and after getting hit on the head you suddenly believe you can fly. It makes perfect sense. Clark, you don't need to be Superman to get me to notice you.”

Clark opened his mouth to protest and then closed it when he heard the last bit. “Really?” Now he was definitely feeling a bit dazed, but he doubted that it was kryptonite induced. “Now, wait a minute Lois. I think you've misunderstood. . . “

“It's okay, Clark. I understand how mixed up you can get with a head injury, but this definitely means we have to get you to the hospital. You have a concussion at the very least. How many fingers am I holding up?”

“Lois! I'm fine. Really. I wasn't telling you that I'm Superman because I was confused or injured. I was telling you that because it's the reason that I'm here. I didn't leave you at my apartment to beat you out on a story, Lois. I left because I could hear that people were in trouble. I came to help put out the fire.”

Lois looked at the still burning building. It was true that Superman had been here and had saved many people. Then she remembered the unconscious Superman and realized that her . . . partner. . . was lying to her again. This was by far the worst excuse she had ever heard. She didn't care if he were hanging by his last thread, if she had a pair of scissors right now she cut it in two!

“Uh huh!” Lois crossed her arms in front of her. “You know, Clark, this is by far the worst excuse I have ever heard. Cheese of the Month! I'm Superman! Why don't you just tell me that you're the Emperor of China while you're at it!”

“I've lost my powers, Lois, because that imposter had kryptonite on him.”

“You're trying to tell me that Superman carries around kryptonite so that you, Clark Kent, don't help out with burning buildings?”

Clark sighed in frustration and ran his fingers through his hair. “I'm sorry that I didn't tell you earlier. I can understand why you don't believe me under the circumstances.” He never would have believed that when he finally told Lois about his alter identity that she wouldn't believe him. There was no way that he could prove it to her without his powers . . . unless . . . He had an idea.

He could show her the suit under his clothing. Once she saw the S on his chest, she would have to believe him. “Here.” He started to unbutton his shirt, but stopped when he saw that he had only skin beneath. What had he done with his outfit? He must have been too tired to concentrate when he had changed clothing and had left his suit somewhere. He should be grateful that he hadn't ended up naked in that alley!

She almost pitied him when he stared at his chest in shocked surprise. She felt the first niggling of doubt. Clark was many things, but he was not that good a liar. It took her a moment to work out what he was doing. He expected to find the Superman outfit under his clothing. Is that what Superman did? Wore regular clothing until he was needed? It put a whole new light on the life of the hero she had thought she had known so well.

As Clark continued to look at his exposed chest as if willing the big S to appear like magic, Lois lowered her gaze and found herself caught. She had seen him before wearing far less than this, but even when she was angry at him she found that the sight of his skin made her heart do crazy things. Earlier this evening she had been ready to take a chance with Clark and finally give in to the feelings he always evoked in her.

Now, she didn't know whether to be angry at his deception or sympathetic at his confusion. The only way to get past either of these obstacles was to bring Clark Kent to Superman. Only by confronting the actual man in blue would Clark have to face the truth.

Clark raised his eyes to meet hers. There was such a sense of loss visible in his gaze that Lois felt her anger melt away.

“Come on, Clark. We need to get going.”

(Sorry that this part is smaller than the rest, but I wanted to post before the holiday took over. I’ll try to get another part up by New Year! Happy Holidays everyone! Thanks again go to Mrs Mosley for her wonderful suggestions and help!)