Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#36179 12/19/06 10:30 AM
Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
Fine part! I found the scene between Clark and the headmistress interesting. Who would have thought that a single father is picked on like that?
Outside the office, he couldn’t help but hear the principal whispering something about single parents that just wasn’t repeatable.
Great start for Clark. Couldn't have been any better. mad

“Why don’t you come with me, Rebecca? I’m going to introduce you to your class,” Ms. Anderson suggested and opened the door to get out of the office again.
Poor girl! This is the second time Mrs. Anderson calls her Rebecca, and she hasn't told her yet to call her Becca instead. She must be so frightened!

“Mr. Kent, we’re not convinced yet that you are prepared to be a father,”
Well, this introduction certainly sums up the rest of the dialogue. How much worse could it have been? This whole backflash touches me deeply.

Five years ago, he had condemned Becca’s biological father for being so irresponsible. Clark had paid for another man’s mistakes and bitterly so.
I don't really get the meaning of this part. Do you want to express that Clark considered Becca a burden? Or that Lily's death is somehow the father's fault? Or are you referring to the dialogue with the dragon? confused

There was only one answer to that question: he *had* searched for it, unconsciously.
So he's really, truly smitten. Good.

Oh, and before I forget this one:
Lily had discussed sex several times, but it was hard to tell if she was only teasing. She had mentioned sex, granted, but she had never actually tried to seduce him.
Clark is a virgin! Surprise, Lois! (Whenever she'll find out...)

Thanks for sharing!

The only known quantity that moves faster than
light is the office grapevine. (from Nan's fabulous Home series)
#36180 12/19/06 10:35 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Five years ago, he had condemned Becca’s biological father for being so irresponsible. Clark had paid for another man’s mistakes and bitterly so.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't really get the meaning of this part. Do you want to express that Clark considered Becca a burden? Or that Lily's death is somehow the father's fault? Or are you referring to the dialogue with the dragon?
It's mostely referring to the dragon. Becca might be a burden, but I think that he doesn't mind it too much

It's never too dark to be cool. cool
#36181 12/19/06 10:45 AM
Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
Thanks for clarifying!

#36182 12/19/06 08:32 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Okay, Barbara, this was another great part, but I was left confused.

What did Clark do that would have brought in social services (the dragon)? This wouldn’t have happened unless they had reasons to expect neglect or abuse. Moving around a lot is not indicative of either - if anything Becca would have gotten ‘lost’ in the system. And just because he wasn’t married would also not have raised suspicion. Nor would the fact that he wasn’t there when Becca was born. His name was on the birth certificate. For all intents and purposes, he was the father. He had no reason to 'prove' himself. So what did these people think he did? I was rather left with the feeling that were doing this for no other reason than that he was a single father. Would this kind of thing happen in Germany? Unless they thought he had abused or neglected Becca they would never have started an investigation in the States. And even if they had had a complaint, and had looked into it, they would not have kept at him like this unless there was kind of proof that he had done something wrong. So what did he do?

He hadn’t accepted his own role as the little girl’s father then and had regarded himself as an uncle or godfather.
Why did the real father even know? Why would Lily have told him? She was just opening herself up for a lawsuit. If Clark had agreed that he would be Becca's father then why would he have even allowed this jerk around. Unless the guy insisted on DNA testing, he had NO rights.

he had tried to convince Becca not to call him dad . He had changed his mind completely, long ago, since Becca could melt his heart with those two syllables.
Two syllables?

There was only one answer to that question: he *had* searched for it, unconsciously.
I like this.

~~Even heroes have the right to dream.~~
#36183 12/19/06 08:52 PM
Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
he had tried to convince Becca not to call him dad . He had changed his mind completely, long ago, since Becca could melt his heart with those two syllables.
Two syllables?
As in 'daddy'.

#36184 12/19/06 09:50 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
After the mothers death Child Services would do an initial check but unless Clark tells them he isn't the biological father and doesn't want her, then she is his child free and clear.
He still has the child. He just met a very annoying worker of the child services. Isn't that imaginable?

#36185 12/19/06 10:04 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Ooops. Duplicate.

#36186 12/19/06 10:12 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
If he has been in the child's life all along, then yes, I find it hard to believe. If he didn't come into Becca's life until after Lily's death, then I could see this scenario as possibly happening, but I still don't see them being this hard on him if he was listed as the father on the birth certificate. Even if he had come into Becca's life after Lily's death rather than having been there all along, the social workers would most likely have been thrilled to not have to put Becca into foster care. I'm not saying that they might not talk to him for some reason, I just don't think anyone would have been that hard on him. He was a nice guy from a nice family and he had an education. He didn't have any trouble with the law. The social workers would have been far more worried about some other little girl that was being sexually abused. (See what I mean?) I was really curious, too, if they would be so hard on a father in Germany.

What about the real father knowing?

Was that my statement that you quoted? If so, I was thinking that Clark wouldn't be in her life until after Lily died.

#36187 12/19/06 10:48 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
It wasn't a quote from what you said. I don't know if it would be like that in Germany. Perhaps it's only wishful thinking after I saw a few pictures of what parents can do to their children. That doesn't mean that I consider single- parenthood as a bad thing. Violence can also happen in families with two parents.

But after nine dead baby's, a baby that was found dead in a restroom and more of this horror stories I can't deny that I wished the authorities would come sooner, sometimes.

Of course we all know that Clark's the good guy. I still haven't written the whole story and maybe I will include something to make it more plausible. I read some things about adoption in the USA and I don't think that Clark would have been able to adopt a child.

The scene devolped in my mind when I still thought that Clark had to adopt Becca. I like the scene and my beta- reader had no objections. Of course I could have asked you, Classicalla.

And I have no problems to imagine a dragon that dares to sail close to the wind. Maybe just because she doesn't like men and thinks that Clark can't be good for Becca because he's a man. You might say now that Clark could easily take her to court. I know it's not difficult in the USA and most people do anything to prevent that.

But then, she is a dragon and he is only twenty-two. I don't have children, but I can tell you that you're not too courageous at the age of twenty two. Moreover, Clark is insecure. He has to care for a child, but has no job. The person he could rely on has just died. And if you remember :

He had failed in saving those to people as much as he had failed years ago when Lily had died.
So somehow Clark blames himself for her death. I didn't explain why and won't do it now. So how strong would he be to fight with the dragon?

#36188 12/19/06 11:18 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I still haven't written the whole story and maybe I will include something to make it more plausible.
Yes, maybe you could put in that someone accused him unfairly… maybe someone important that would have been believed more readily.

I read some things about adoption in the USA and I don't think that Clark would have been able to adopt a child.
Must be really old stuff because it hasn’t been that way for a while now. There are lots of single parents (male and female) that adopt children. And there are still 100’s if not 1000’s of children that reach adulthood every year without ever having been adopted. It might be harder for him to get a baby, but not a slightly older child. (And Clark wouldn’t have had to adopt Becca in America. His name was on the birth certificate.)

The scene devolped in my mind when I still thought that Clark had to adopt Becca. I like the scene and my beta- reader had no objections. Of course I could have asked you, Classicalla.
Yes, I thought that it might have. No, you didn’t need to ask me. I just thought it seemed they were being SO mean to Clark… too mean. (And I don’t like Clark being treated mean. It makes me frown.) It just seemed there was no basis for all this… Add something. Make me believe…

Maybe just because she doesn't like men and thinks that Clark can't be good for Becca because he's a man.
Yes, this is true.

You might say now that Clark could easily take her to court. I know it's not difficult in the USA and most people do anything to prevent that.
Did I say that somewhere?

I wasn’t trying to upset you or give you a hard time. I was just really curious about this. It just seems so odd in regards to what I know.

#36189 12/19/06 11:24 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
quote:
You might say now that Clark could easily take her to court. I know it's not difficult in the USA and most people do anything to prevent that.

No you didn't. But since I got tea in New York with the note "Caution hot" on it, drank carefully and almost spit it out, because even the term "warm" wasn't really describing the temperature, I somehow figured that you've got to be careful with american laws.

#36190 12/19/06 11:32 PM
Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
Yes, you did. You said it in an email you sent to me.
rotflol No, I didn't forward it... rotflol

#36191 12/20/06 12:16 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
No you didn't. But since I got tea in New York with the note "Caution hot" on it, drank carefully and almost spit it out, because even the term "warm" wasn't really describing the temperature, I somehow figured that you've got to be careful with american laws.
Yes... Things can be a little crazy. There are also signs on cans of peanuts telling you that they contain peanuts and that some people are allergic....

Yes, you did. You said it in an email you sent to me.
Well, I knew I'd said it somewhere....

#36192 12/22/06 06:58 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
hi! I meant to post this before now - but the last couple of days have been just a blur... Thursday was my last day at work and it's just been crazy!! (and I cried and cried and cried.. *sigh* I'm good now, though)

The thing about social services and adoption and... everything... well, back when Barbara started asking about these things, I went over and looked. And the thing that I found is that if the mother is not married, then in order for the father's name to appear on the birth certificate, he needs to sign forms that acknowledges him as the child's father. Else, he has no relationship with the child and is not legally recognized as anything in relation to the baby. I actually went and read all sorts of laws and things for the state of Kansas so I would be sure to have the right information.

This means that, as far as I understand it, unless Clark actually filled out the papers back when Becca was born, it's fairly likely that upon the mother's death, that social services would have checked up on the child and bureaucrats being what they are, they might have given Clark a hard time about everything.

Mind you, I am not an expert at leagalese and it's possible that I misunderstood some of what I read. But based on my online researched, it was plausible that social services would be called at the time of the mother's death. I doubt Lily was responsible enough to make arrangements to declare Clark as legal guardian in the event of her death, therefore, legally speaking, he had no rights to the child at all. I don't think these people will just let you keep a child just cause "she lives here" without asking questions...

my 2 little rusted Canadian pennies. wink

Superman: Why is it that good villains never die?
Batman: Clark, what the hell are good villains?
=> Superman/Batman: Public Enemies
#36193 12/22/06 07:07 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Thanks, Lara. If my memory serves me, though, Barbara did say at one time that Clark signed all the papers when Lily asked him to do so. (But I'm not sure.)

#36194 12/22/06 11:03 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
hi! I meant to post this before now - but the last couple of days have been just a blur... Thursday was my last day at work and it's just been crazy!! (and I cried and cried and cried.. *sigh* I'm good now, though)
Glad, you're okay now, Lara.

#36195 12/23/06 01:42 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Hi,

Great part! thumbsup

More ASAP, please.

MAF hyper

Maria D. Ferdez.
---
Don't like Luthor, unfinished, untitled and crossover story, and people that promises and don't deliver. I'm getting choosy with age.
MAF

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard