Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Matrix Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
Hi Sue! So glad to see you posted.

I just loved this little vignette. It was waffy and heartbreaking all at the same time.

I think Clark left so he could go buy a shovel to dig himself out with...

Okay. I won't quote too much so I leave some for others... but... I had to quote this:

He sat very still for a few seconds and then he nodded. "Yes, I think you would." He was about to stand up when her hand touched his arm. Did she have any idea at all what her touch did to him? Not a night passed that he didn't lie awake recalling the feel of her lips on his back and the way her eyelashes had left a butterfly kiss on his skin.
Oh, Sue. That was so beautifully written. Gave me all kinds of waffy feelings. Mmmm...

And this...

"Were you really there?" she asked, wishing she could stop him from leaving. "At the White Orchid Ball?"

He turned around and smiled at her. "Yes, I really was."

"Prove it."

He looked at her for a moment as he considered what to say. "You had your hair pulled back into some kind of French twist. But there was one strand that came loose. Every time I looked at you I just wanted to brush it back. It was very sexy."

"Sexy? You thought I was sexy?" She felt the faintest surge of hope that she might stand a chance with him after all.

"Very," he replied with a smile.
It's so very Lois. And then him telling her she looked very sexy and she needs confirmation and he gives it to her? laugh

Wonderful Sue! I can't wait to get a peek at the next part -- "End (sort of)" wink

-- MR angel-devil

Smile and the world smiles with you ... frown and you're just giving yourself wrinkles.
M
Merriwether
Merriwether
M
A new Sue story! Yea! And it's a sequel to Proof. I knew you loved us, Sue.

Not a night passed that he didn't lie awake recalling the feel of her lips on his back and the way her eyelashes had left a butterfly kiss on his skin.
Beautiful.

What a great, *excrutiating* conversation.

I think sometimes Clark visits her as Superman just to get that little thrill of danger mixed with hope. "Is tonight the night she guesses? The night I give something away? The night I chuck all my clarity and sound reasoning and tell her the truth?"

It's a little like learning how to jump off the high dive. You climb up there even though you may not be planning to jump today, or even ever, but once you're up there, it's so close, you could do it, it would just take one little movement... and there's always the fear that the person behind you will get impatient and push, taking the decision out of your hands. And you don't know until you are on the way down if you can handle it or not, but by then you can't take it back. And sometimes you teeter right on the edge, your toes hanging off, and then you decide, no, not today.

lisa in the sky with diamonds
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
"Does your editor know you read that tabloid?"

Startled, Lois looked up from the 'National Whisper' to see Superman outside her open window.
Ah-oh! Caught with her fingers in the cookie jar….

"No. No love nest." He set the tabloid aside and half-turned to face her. "And you're the only person I know with incriminating photos of me."
Hah! Very incriminating, Clark.

"Obviously we've never met then. I know I would recognize you."

He almost smiled. "You think?"

"No disguise could be that good."

This time he did smile. "I guess not."
Oh, my goodness. Hahaha….

That was cute - her asking if Clark knew his own name. Oh, yeah, Clark and Kal-El hanging out together watching football.

"Would I recognize it? Your real name? If you told me right now would I remember where I'd met you before?"
Not a good idea to be drinking my coca-cola at that line. I almost choked….

"Yes," he admitted, his eyes warm with a remembrance that she didn't want to know about.

"Does she know?" Lois asked, envious that she had never inspired that same look in anyone, let alone him.
Awww…. How little you know, Lois.

Men were just as difficult and irrational as they liked to complain that women were.
Yep.

"Well, if she doesn't want you, I do," Lois blurted out the words before she could stop herself. She bit her lip, waiting to see his reaction.

"I may hold you to that," he told her with a grin. "So how would you recommend that I tell her?"

"Just tell her. And then, if she's petty enough to be angry with you, fly back over here and tell me."

He stood and held his hand out to help her up. "I'll do that."
Do it, Clark! Tell her!

Better tell us what happens oh, evil queen.

I think sometimes Clark visits her as Superman just to get that little thrill of danger mixed with hope.
Oohh... I like that, Lisa.

~~Even heroes have the right to dream.~~
Top Banana
Top Banana
Ooohh. Sue, that was evil...to end there! You've got to write another part to this. I loved it. Again, you show us how well you can paint a picture, put us on edge and then yank the carpet out from under us...with plenty of warning, but we're unable to do anything about it.
dizzy
Mas por favor!

I'm a firm believer in the fact that God doesn't put any more on us than we can bear. He does however make us come to Jesus every so often.
J
Merriwether
Merriwether
J
Aww that was so cute!

Jackie

Superman: I hear you've been looking for me.
Lois: All my life.
Top Banana
Top Banana
I'm taking the button back if you don't write the next part of this Sue... (I hope you have got it by now)

Poor Lois, she thinks he has someone else. smile I wonder if he will get the nerve to tell her soon. Ah, I'm just going to sit here and smile and imagine what ending you will have to this story... Because you do realize now you have to have an ending or we will all come with pitchforks...
wildguy

Angry Clark: CLARK SMASH!
Lois: Ork!
Matrix Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
peep

Is Sue in here?

<DJ looks around - nope, no Sue...>

I wanted to tell you that...

Eeep! I think that's her coming now! I'd better run. Don't want to get caught giving anything away. wink

<DJ - who is patiently camped out by her e-mail box>

-- MR angel-devil

Smile and the world smiles with you ... frown and you're just giving yourself wrinkles.
Top Banana
Top Banana
DJ, come on... you are our only hope to finding out the dirt on Sue's story. You are like the paperboy on the street corner calling out the headlines...

Come on give us a juicy headline!

(Jojo who thinks that DJ just gave us enough of a hint right there with out saying anything)

Angry Clark: CLARK SMASH!
Lois: Ork!
M
Merriwether
Merriwether
M
DJ, you're working real hard on honing the mean edge of that knife, aren't you??? :p

T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
I have illegally little time these days, Sue, so....

That was lovely. Great! What a wonderful revelation prequel. Imagine having Lois tell Superman how to tell his loved one that he loves her. Imagine her instructing him on how to tell that other woman that he is Superman. And if that ungrateful, good-for-nothing bitch is too angry at him for deceiving her, well, then he can just pop over to Lois and find some consolation for being snubbed by his real love! goofy

Like I said, brilliant. Now all we need is the real revelation scene. Which, if you don't mind, should be posted in the nfic folder. (Or do you have some kind of bet going on with DJ that you can post a story that has no nfic scenes....? wink )

Ann

Matrix Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
Hah - yes actually - I did make a bet with her.

However, my bet said nothing specifically about "additional" parts or perhaps an "epilogue"? I didn't want pitchforks coming after me. wink So that will be up to Sue...

WHAT? I didn't say ANYTHING!!!

-- MR angel-devil

Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Sue, this was wonderful and almost painful to read. Clark's trepidation *leapt* off the page, and Lois — oh, my heart just ached all over the place for her (for both of them!) as I read on.

But these three lines were like an emotional sucker-punch:
He shook his head and wished he had never started this conversation. There was no way he could tell her now. There was no way he could tell her later either.
Beautiful. Perfect. And so, so heart-wrenching. Thanks for sharing this with us.

~ Crystal

"Not all those who wander are lost." — JRR Tolkien
P
Columnist
Columnist
P
Wow! I loved "proof", and I love as much "proof and consequences". That's wonderful. The only word I didn't like was "end". Luckily, it had been followed by "(sort of)". What i'm trying to say is that I hope you'll write another sequel laugh

Kerth
Kerth
Ahhhh - feedback. That sweet nectar of the gods...

I find it amusing beyond words that DJ would quote the two parts where she told me I needed the most work. I guess the edits were to your taste? <g> Actually, the whole "prove it" angle was her idea. You're awesome, DJ! I hope you realize that.

I might just as well give up on the sequels because Lisa put it far more succinctly. One of my favorite things about the show was how close Lois would come to figuring it out or how Clark would almost reveal himself. I loved both of them teetering on the edge. The diving board analogy was so good I just sat there grinding my teeth. Why didn't I think of that? Grrrrr.

Thanks, Nancy, for picking out two of my favorite lines. "Does your editor know you read that tabloid" and the conversation about how she was sure she'd recognize him as a regular guy.

Sheila - there is more. And probably some more carpet-yanking, too. <heh>

Thanks, Jackie! I'm glad you liked it.

JoJo - I did get my button! And I sent you a thank-you note. Good luck trying to read my itsy-bitsy handwriting. I'm not nearly as anal as it might appear.

Never fear, Ann, there are others in the series and the last one is going to be nfic.

Thanks also to Angelic Editor and Poussin for chiming in. Your words were very much appreciated.

Now I must go back to writing before DJ starts poking me. :p

Lois: You know, I have a funny feeling that you didn't tell me your biggest secret.

Clark: Well, just to put your little mind at ease, Lois, you're right.
Ides of Metropolis
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Ah, Sue, you are just so good at this. You really should try to get something published. I'm sure your would be a hit!!

~~Even heroes have the right to dream.~~
M
Merriwether
Merriwether
M
I might just as well give up on the sequels because Lisa put it far more succinctly. (snip) The diving board analogy was so good I just sat there grinding my teeth. Why didn't I think of that? Grrrrr.
blush

You better be joking about giving up on the sequels! wildguy

Matrix Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
You better be joking about giving up on the sequels!...
Heh - she is... wildguy

You're awesome, DJ! I hope you realize that.
Awww, Sue blush - I'm glad you think so... at least that makes me feel more useful as a beta. wink You write so well that I feel my services are superfluous at times. And yes, I loved the edits... was totally grinning from ear to ear at them. wink

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I was having a day that is light years beyond bad -- until I read this. "Thank you for posting it" sounds like a very lame thing to say, but, well... thank you for posting it. Took my mind off my troubles and I really needed that. smile

Superman: Why is it that good villains never die?
Batman: Clark, what the hell are good villains?
=> Superman/Batman: Public Enemies
T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
I just re-read it now, Sue, because I have marginally more time tonight than I had this morning. I agree with all the others, this vignette is lovely. It's so bittersweet. You have to wonder why Clark comes to Lois at all, dressed as Superman. What is he hoping for? That he can have a relationship with her as Superman? But he doesn't really want that, as we all know. He can't allow that to happen. Of course, there is one story in the Archive where he really did let it happen - it is a story by Zoomway and it's called Joe's Story, or something. In this story, Superman (not Clark) enters into a very real relationship with Lois, so that he spends every night in her bed as her super lover, Kal-El. Then in the morning, he leaves before her to sneak off to work to become her colleague and partner at the Daily Planet, Clark Kent... and Lois doesn't have a clue. Wow, if that were to happen, and if Lois found out that Kal-El and Clark Kent were the same, could she ever forgive him?

Your Clark (or Superman) wouldn't deceive Lois as badly as that. He might become her lover as Clark Kent without telling her about Superman (as we saw in Faustian wink ), but that was just because he considers Clark Kent to be the real him. Superman is just a disguise to him. Surely he wouldn't enter into a relationship with Lois as a disguise of himself??? No, he wouldn't, so what is he doing here, seeking out Lois's company while he himself is in the super-suit?

The answer is simple. He loves her so much and wants her so much, but he feels that he has no chance with her whatsoever as Clark Kent. The only way he he can see her look at him with love and admiration in her eyes, the only chance he has to have her touch him gently and lovingly at all, is by coming to her as Superman. Even though he knows that he can never, ever give in to her wish to become her perfect, shiny super lover who has not tarnished himself by admitting that he is just Clark Kent, he can't resist the temptation to come and see her at all as Superman. To come to her as she so obviously wants him, as her noble, glorious superhero.

The bittersweet and hopeless longing here is achingly beautiful. Oh, the kind of games we play, and the masks we put on to please our loved ones, even though those very masks are the barriers that may forever prevent us from truly connecting with the persons we love.

Ann

Merriwether
Merriwether
The times he visits as Superman and what he does is a difficult battle between his self-control and his love and desire for Lois. He wants to be patient enough to let Lois get over Superman completely (he thinks that actually might happen) but he wants to be with her, talk to her, "hang out" with her so much that he gives in every once in a while, thus setting him back again. Without her knowing he's both CK and Big Blue, it's a love triangle catch 22.

I think, therefore, I get bananas.

When in doubt, think about time travel conundrums. You'll confuse yourself so you can forget what you were in doubt about.

What's the difference between ignorance, apathy, and ambivalence?
I don't know and I don't care one way or the other.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard