Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#34089 11/08/06 10:35 AM
Sheila Offline OP
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
This was a very emotional part. Again I feel really sorry for Richard and I hope he finds happiness, but I also hate him for pressuring Lois into this big decision.

At any rate, Superman could be in Paris, too. Didn't Richard realize that. I think the time has come for Lois and Richard to go their separate ways.

“Bye. Love you,” he murmured softly in a deep dulcet tone.

“Bye. Clark, I...” she stammered for a second. The ‘love you’ part had caught her off guard but she quickly gathered herself together again, “Bye,” she whispered back to him and then rushed off to the elevator.
When Clark said, "Love you", to Lois, I was shocked. I didn't expect that. And obviously neither did Lois. I think Clark dropped that very strategically. He wanted to plant something in her heart that would keep her level headed and not decide anything rash. I have the feeling that he knew that something like this was up.

Anyway, girl, another well written very emotional part. Fabulous even. clap Please post part 4 soon.

I'm a firm believer in the fact that God doesn't put any more on us than we can bear. He does however make us come to Jesus every so often.
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Ok, I'm officially marking this story on my "to-read" list! And yes, I'll probably break down and read the prequel to it. <g> I can't believe I've run out of week and it's only Wednesday. Fussy grad schools... goofy

Happy writing!
JD

"Meg...who let you back in the house?" -Family Guy
M
Merriwether
Merriwether
M
Did they realize just what they had?
It is so interesting that our L&C and SR L&C each have what the other couple wants.

“I’m sure Clark won’t mind. After all, you’re not engaged to Clark.” He was still smiling at her, but it almost seemed like there was an edge behind it.
Hmm. I am going to file this away for future thought.

He caught her off guard when he quickly folded her hand in his and gave it a gentle squeeze before releasing it again. It sent butterflies fluttering in her stomach and she reached down straightening the jacket she had on to try and disguise what he’d done.

“Bye. Love you,” he murmured softly in a deep dulcet tone.
Both of these actions seem like Clark is putting a bit of pressure on Lois. They are both very sweet and I know he is being sincere, but these blatant reminders of his feelings - in public, no less - has got to be uncomfortable for her.

“And just what did you expect me to do? Follow on your heels and play the doting little housewife to her big editor husband?” She didn’t mean for her comments to come off sounding so harsh; but really, what did he expect her to do? To say?
Good question.

She finally realized where he was going with this... and it made her angry. “It would get us away from Superman,” she chimed in, biting the words out.
Richard's neither stupid nor blind, Lois.

He clenched his jaw together and she could see the tic working in his cheek. “Be careful, Lois. Be careful that while you’re taking your time trying to make up your mind that someone else doesn’t make it up for you.”
Talk about your ultimatums.

Very emotional chapter. You are clearly painting a picture of two men whose patience is running out. Nice work, DJ!

lisa in the sky with diamonds
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Hi, DJ! razz She didn't tell the real reason.

He clenched his jaw together and she could see the tic working in his cheek. “Be careful, Lois. Be careful that while you’re taking your time trying to make up your mind that someone else doesn’t make it up for you.”

“What’s that supposed to mean?” she asked pointedly.
/me echoes it: “What’s that supposed to mean?” [Linked Image]

“You know what I want, Lois. Now you just have to figure out what *you* want.
It's about time for the most galactically indecisive woman figure out what she wants. [Linked Image]

Andreia (who is trying hard to keep pace with DJ's posting, but not complaining. If DJ wants to post twice a day, it'll be nice...) angel-devil

"My wife's love is what unites Krypton and Earth in my heart. Without it, without her, I truly would be in hell."

~ Superman: Man of Tomorrow #15
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Hi Sheila! Thanks for all that lovely fdk.

Yes, Superman could be in Paris very easily. But maybe Richard assumed if he moved Lois away from Metropolis, where Superman was normally sighted, that Superman would get the point??? wink

I'm glad you enjoyed that "Love you" line. I could just so see Clark saying something like this. He's not giving up without a fight.

Glad you are enjoying this emotional roller-coaster. It's not over yet...

Thank you so much for the fdk.

Hi Jen!

Hah! I sucked you in, did I? Oooh, and maybe even enough to get you to read Supermen United? Yeah! How exciting. Well, just so you know, I have submitted the story to the archive. The corrections have been made and e-mailed to my GE (thank you Julie!) and so if the story isn't archived this weekend, maybe next weekend. But of course you can find it on the message boards as well (and I did an nfic version as well... if that interests you).

Thank you for the fdk and I'm glad I was able to score on your "to-read" list. laugh

Hi Lisa!

Both of these actions seem like Clark is putting a bit of pressure on Lois. They are both very sweet and I know he is being sincere, but these blatant reminders of his feelings - in public, no less - has got to be uncomfortable for her.
Yes, they were blatant. I think they showed Lois that he wasn't giving her up without a fight. To do that, he's got to help her remember what she felt for him.

Richard's neither stupid nor blind, Lois.
Wonderful observation, Lisa. Most definitely.

Thank you for all your thoughts and the fdk.

Hi there Andreia!

What he's got to tell her? -
Hmm, I guess you'll never know - since they didn't get to go to lunch together. devil

She used to treat him dismissively, too. -
Yes, she did. Sue said she was "the pot calling the kettle black". Hee hee. How very true.

Thespian is a term for "actor" or "theatrical performer". You can always go to www.dictionary.com if you need to look up something. I find it quite useful (that site and www.thesaurus.com)

That caught me off guard, too. [Shock]
Hee hee. Good. It was supposed to.

quote: “And just what did you expect me to do? Follow on your heels and play the doting little housewife to her big editor husband?”

This reminds me of 'our' Lois to Clark in Wall of Sound: "You want me to hang on your arm, smile and tell everybody how proud I am of my great big reporter man? Some things are the same, in any universe. -
Hee hee. I'm so glad you noticed this Andreia. That is exactly the scene I was thinking of when I wrote this. Except that Lois wasn't irritated in that scene on the series.

“What’s that supposed to mean?” she asked pointedly.

/me echoes it: “What’s that supposed to mean?” -
It means that he might make the decision for her. By moving to Paris with or without her.

galactically indecisive woman
Ha ha ha! Is that anything like "Super door mat man" Clark from my other story? Hee hee. laugh

Thanks for all that delicious fdk Andreia.

And, no, not twice a day... but I will post the next part sometime tomorrow.

Thank you all again so much for the fdk and comments. I loved each and every one!!!

-- MR angel-devil

Smile and the world smiles with you ... frown and you're just giving yourself wrinkles.
Features Writer
Features Writer
He turned and looked back at her with a deep sadness in his eyes. “You know what I want, Lois. Now you just have to figure out what *you* want. I don’t know what more there is to say. I’m going home. I’ll... I’ll see you back at the house later.”

“Richard,” she called out after him, but he didn’t look back this time.
Argh you're killing me and I love it! I feel so much for Richard. I know I'm supposed to side with Clark, but I find it kind of gross that he would tell her 'I love you' at this moment in time. It puts her in this really awkward position--I kind of wanted to scream "Back off," but that's all me and my hang ups--Lois seemed just a bit surprised and not in a bad way I want to point out. On the otherhand, I prefer almost anything to that self-sacrificing Christ-imitating crap that the movie had him pull. This move which seems vaguely selfish in my view at least lets you glimpse the man.

But I keep thinking about Richard and how I would feel in his position. Moving is a great way to connect--either that or a vacation. But yes, moving definitely forces you to create bonds. All the same, Lois' mind is made up. She loves Clark/Superman more, it's just a matter of her getting rid of her sense of obligation to Richard. His ultimatum does give Lois room to call quits from how I saw it.

“Be careful, Lois. Be careful that while you’re taking your time trying to make up your mind that someone else doesn’t make it up for you.”
That's a litte ambiguous, but we all gather that Richard is saying that he's not going to let her wait a million years to decide. I think that's fair enough because it sucks for the woman who you love and you have a home with to be considering leaving you for her old deadbeat boyfriend. The outrage in just having that situation--in having this person even considering leaving you despite the home you built is just so powerful I was waiting to see him crack a little. He's human too and unlike both Lois and Clark he has nothing to do with this.

*sniff*

Clark owes the man a fruit basket...at least.

One loses so many laughs by not laughing at oneself - Sara Jeannette Duncan
http://languagelog.ldc.upenn.edu/myl/llog/duty_calls.png
T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
If I was pressed for time before, let me assure you that things did not get easier when my fridge broke down yesterday. So I'll just say this. Fascinating, DJ! Richard isn't just going to roll over and give Lois up. That thing about moving to Paris - about moving Lois to Paris - and within twenty-four hours, too... well, there's something about that that is just a tad too possessive. Too much "you-are-my-woman-and-you'll-come-with-me". It's not as if I can't sympathize on some level, in view of what Richard has given to Lois (and Jason) over the years, but even so, this was too much. And there was something he said at the end of this that sounded just vaguely threatening:

You just made it easier for me to feel less sorry for Richard and hope that Lois will see this threat about - well, carrying her off against her will, separating her from the man she loves (Superman) and dumping her an ocean away - as proof that she can't let Richard rule her life, no matter how much she owes him.

Fascinating, DJ. Bear with me if you will get very little FDK from me for the next one and a half months!

Ann

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Oh goodie. More fdk!

Hi Alcyone!

Killing you and making you love it -- I'll take that as an extreme compliment from you wink

Yes, when it comes right down to it, I think we all *want* Lois to end up with Clark... but I'm glad that I've been able to make you readers feel for Richard. If I've done that, then I've accomplished something.

And I think when 2009 rolls around, that we might see more of that "Clark" - the real man. I think we didn't see so much of *him* in this movie because he had just come back and had been confronted with all this change. It just seems to me that now that he knows Lois still cares for him, and he knows that Jason is his... well, it just might *push* him a little - and let's face it, *that* could be very interesting...

Yes, oftentimes ultimatums just don't go the way people want them to, do they?

“Be careful, Lois. Be careful that while you’re taking your time trying to make up your mind that someone else doesn’t make it up for you.”
I just LOVE how everyone saw this statement just a little differently. Absolutely love it. So I'm not going to ruin it by going and commenting on it any further. wink

I did have to comment on your "waiting to see him crack a little"... you may get to see a little more of that than you realized, before this thing is over... but bear with me - I'm really not insane. wink

Glad you enjoyed me killing you on this part. Thanks for the fdk!!!

Ann, oh Ann!

I'm so sorry to hear about your fridge. I hope you get it repaired or are able to get a new one soon. Bummer.

No, Richard doesn't seem like he's just gonna roll over and take it, does he? And I'm not sure if I meant him to sound so much possessive as I did a little desperate. But, we'll see...

Again, so cool that so many of you got a different take on that "making up your mind" part. Hee hee... Oh, and don't worry, Richard isn't like Luthor, he's not going to drag her off against her will and hide her away in some fortress against her will...

Or is he?... wink

Fascinating, DJ. Bear with me if you will get very little FDK from me for the next one and a half months!
Oh, well, now that doesn't provide me very much incentive to get New Misgivings finished and start posting it. razz Just kidding. goofy

Thank you again everyone. I'll be posting part 4 sometime tomorrow. Not sure when at this moment.

-- MR angel-devil

Smile and the world smiles with you ... frown and you're just giving yourself wrinkles.
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Wow, I didn't see this one coming.

And this is one of those tests of a relationship's strength. I like that fact that Lois would only have seriously considered it before Superman showed back up.

Made me think a lot about what Elisabeth might say if something like that would happen to me.

Very thought provoking.

James

“…with God everything is possible.” Matthew 19:26.

Also read Nan's Terran Underground!
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Oh, hi, James!

You didn't see that one coming huh? Well good, perhaps I'm doing my job (hate to use that word... makes it sound like I don't like doing this. goofy )

Seriously considered... yes, it's not like Lois would have automatically said "oh, you have a job in Paris - why sure - let's go" but especially not now, with her feelings for Clark in the mix.

I'm glad you found it thought provoking.

Part 4 is out there.

Thanks again everyone! laugh

--MR angel-devil

Top Banana
Top Banana
*pokes her head in*

DJ, DJ, DJ.... I have been a bad girl. I haven't had a chance to read anything but part 1 of this story so far and no FDK yet. frown I just wanted to pop in and tell you though that I am still excited about it and I will leave you FDK for each chapter but real life is kicking me in the butt along with my other hobby and NaNoWriMo. frown *hugs*

Angry Clark: CLARK SMASH!
Lois: Ork!
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Yes, Jojo, I've been missing you horribly <sniffle, sniffle> thumbsup

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Great part. I loved it when Clark told Lois he loved her.

“There’s your assignment from Perry this morning. I covered for you. Was there an emergency?”

“Accident... on the highway,” he said as he flipped through the pages. “A few people were hurt, not too seriously, but I stayed to help clear up the mess.”
Ah, she’s already covering.

He caught her off guard when he quickly folded her hand in his and gave it a gentle squeeze before releasing it again. It sent butterflies fluttering in her stomach and she reached down straightening the jacket she had on to try and disguise what he’d done.
Awww…

She nodded numbly at him, willing herself to listen... for now. Move to Paris? What was he thinking?
Yeah, just who the heck do you think you are, Richard? I just hate it when men try to make decisions for their ladies and just assume they’ll go along.

“Yes. And I want to take it. It’s something I’ve always dreamed of – being the editor of a major newspaper...
Oh, good. Then just leave, Richard.

“And just what did you expect me to do? Follow on your heels and play the doting little housewife to her big editor husband?” She didn’t mean for her comments to come off sounding so harsh; but really, what did he expect her to do? To say?
Of course you did.

“Of course...” he said simply. She flashed her eyes at him in disbelief and opened her mouth but he held up a hand to silence her and let out a soft laugh. “...not.
Of course you *did*, Richard!!

“I can’t.” She said the words before she even realized she was saying them. They came out with such infinite finality that they caught both her and Richard by surprise.
Oh, thank goodness.

~~Even heroes have the right to dream.~~

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard