Next Thread
Print Thread
T
TOC Offline OP
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
I have very little time for feedback now, but I want to say that it's great to have you back with this.

I'll just quote a few little things:

I may be scattered, a little shattered
What does it matter?
No one has a fit like I do
— “Disenchanted Lullaby,” Foo Fighters
As an image and a summary of Mayson, this is incredibly poignant. Due to her injuries she has certainly been a little scatter(brained), and physically (and emotionally), she is more than a little shattered. And what does it matter? Who really cares about Mayson?

Mayson bristled. “Look — ” She paused, letting Scardino’s words sink in. You'd be dead. A chill ran down the length of her spine. Her stomach clenched.

“You’re — ” Ridiculous. Overreacting. Wrong. “ ... right.” The words reverberated hollowly in her ears.
This is as chillingly horrible as it is brilliantly written.

“So what kind of cop wears Hawaiian shirts?”

“The best kind,” Scardino smirked.

Mayson glared at him. “Seriously. It may as well be Day-Glo. You couldn’t sneak up on a deaf man wearing that.”

“Hey, that’s what the black leather jacket’s for — camouflage. Besides, what kind of assistant DA nearly gets herself killed?”

In spite of herself, a smile ghosted across Mayson’s wan features. “The best kind.”
And I love this piece of dialogue. Mayson really scored there.

Lois sighed, staring down at her hands twisted in her lap. “It’s just — you seem to have a ... a personal investment in this,” she finished quietly, unable to look at him.

Clark swallowed thickly and rubbed at the back of his neck. “Well, Lois ... I know what it’s like.”
“Caring for, um, someone, you know, romantically, and — and having that person not, ah, return the sentiment.”
This is so stark, somehow, and so poignant. And it gets so strong because Clark is saying it to Lois.

She whimpered softly in her fitful doze, and Scardino frowned. No, this wouldn’t be easy. Mayson could never know she was the bait who was going to lead him straight to Intergang.
This is overwhelmingly horrible. Mayson, already so broken and vulnerable, is going to be used, without her own knowledge, as the bait that is going to lead Scardino to Intergang.

I have no more time for feedback now, but as I said, it is very good to have you back with this story.

Ann

Top Banana
Top Banana
That was very nicely written. I have to admit you got me when Clark insisted on leaving to get coffee. I had no idea that he heard something...knew that Lois's apartment was bugged.

I also thought that Dan had a sincere interest in Mayson.

Oh well...

Hope you post again soon.

I'm a firm believer in the fact that God doesn't put any more on us than we can bear. He does however make us come to Jesus every so often.
T
Pulitzer
Online Content
Pulitzer
T
Oh, Angel, I'm so glad to see this one back in production! I was having nice-Mayson withdrawal symptoms.

I've always viewed Dan Scardino as a bit clueless, but you're painting him as a very cagey character, one who feels sad about using Mayson as bait, but not bad enough to pull her out of the line of fire. I wonder if she'll survive the encounter this time. And if she does, I wonder if she'll forgive Dan for manipulating her.

I wasn't real clear on Lois's take on Clark and Mayson's relationship. Does she think Clark is attracted to Mayson? Me, I'm a sucker for intelligent blondes with a flint-hard face and a weak spot for Midwestern dorks. But I wonder if it will make a difference in Lois's attitude towards Clark when Lois finds out that Clark's blaming himself for Mayson's injuries because he's Superman and he should have prevented them.

I'm pleased to read that the story's almost finished. I was really hoping this one wouldn't end up in the boneyard of abandoned tales, so the news of near-completion is heartening.

As for a fickle muse, I find that milk and cookies work wonders, along with a hot bath and a professional massage and a little note to the Muse Enforcers Local 307 (ask for Rocky or Guido).

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Can I just say how much I love you guys? Because I love you guys. Thiiiiiiiiiiiiiiis much! *throws arms open to demonstrate*

Seriously, Ann, Sheila and Terry, the feedback you've left has given me a warm, glowy feeling that only comments like these can. smile For so long, I felt like this story was just languishing in limbo, even though I had the storyline almost completely sketched out in my mind. I just couldn't find the time to sit down and actually write it.

But then, one day a couple weeks ago, I sat down and wrote and wrote and wrote (well, typed and typed and typed, actually), deciding to go ahead and flesh it out, then worry about revisions and chapter splits later. And even though I'm still in the middle of that particular process, tweaking the next parts until I'm satisfied, it's a great feeling to be posting again.

Ann, I'm so glad you liked that particular bit of dialogue between Dan and Mayson -- it's my favorite! And I know you've been incredibly cramped for time lately, but your comments are as lovely as ever, don't worry!

Sheila, don't completely discount Dan's interest in Mayson. wink The parts still to come will explore that whole dynamic much more. I'm so glad you're still reading this story!

And Terry, your comment about Dan being cagey made my day! Thank you! I've always felt his character, much like Mayson, was treated somewhat unfairly on the show in terms of being one-dimensional, and I wanted to write a more self-aware, somewhat darker version of Dan for this story. So for you to say something so wonderful about him right off the bat -- well, I'm just wowed and humbled. And I think your advice for a fickle muse is spot-on. Milk and cookies do wonders for the soul (well, mine, anyway), and serendipitously enough, I'm having a mini-spa day with a girlfriend Friday and totally getting a massage, whee!

Again, thank you guys so much for sticking with this story through its lengthy hiatus, and for your feedback!

~ Crystal

"Not all those who wander are lost." — JRR Tolkien

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard