Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#33392 10/14/06 02:17 AM
Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
Generally, I liked this part although I think that Kal-El is getting off too easily. His Lois/Wanda ought to be much more furious than she is!

So, let's go into detail:
In fact, of all the varied versions of Clark Kent he’d met from various alternate time-lines, this one had to be one of the densest. Erasing someone’s memories? Give me a break.
I agree with Clark 150%! Nice touch, having him reflect on his counterpart like that! wink

Coming back downstairs, he noticed Kal-El and his Lois had gone out to the back deck to talk.

“How did it go?” he asked his wife.

“Was I that galactically dense?” she wondered aloud.
Well, the same as above applies here!

“No chocolate?”

“You know Lara and Jordan are allergic and you can’t have any until the baby’s weaned. Sleep good, baby wired on chocolate bad, remember? Have some carob kisses instead.” He popped one in to her mouth.
I didn't know (half-)Kryptonians could be allergic, much less to choclate. I love this twist, however. It really shows how much Lois loves to have Clark's children that she is willing to do without chocolate. thumbsup

Richard gave Penny a hug. Clark knew they had high hopes for tonight’s meeting. Like he and Lois before them, they’d been turned down by adoption agency social workers. Even the foster care system thought the risk of placing a child with a pair of Daily Planet investigative reporters was too great.

“I assume the natural parents are aware of the documentation they need to have?” Constance asked.

“The message was passed to them, so I assume they’ll have proper documents with them,” Clark said. “We may have to translate them, however.”

Constance nodded.

Clark had told her early on it was to be a privately arranged fostering involving foreign nationals. He hadn’t added any details aside from the fact that fostering was a normal part of the culture among the high ranking families of that nation. He assumed Constance had done her homework and realized that no current Earth culture was doing that sort of thing these days.
Just how many people know Clark's secret in your LC-universe? Might make things really interesting in the (immediate?) future.

Then she slapped Kal-El. Hard.

“That had to have hurt,” Richard commented.
Yeah, Lois'/Wanda's hand must be hurting! laugh

“Lois,” he said quietly. “You’re babbling.”

She stopped. To her horror, she was crying. She stepped toward him, recognizing through her tears that oh-so-familiar deer-in-the-headlights, ready to bolt look. “I’m sorry,” she said. “It just came at me too fast.” He seemed to relax just a bit, enough for her to put her arms around him. “I missed you. I missed my friend.”
As I said before, this is way too easy. dizzy Or is it just a bluff and this Lois is going to turn into a criminal? That'd explain a lot, at least to me.
cool

The only known quantity that moves faster than
light is the office grapevine. (from Nan's fabulous Home series)
#33393 10/14/06 03:30 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
Just how many people know Clark's secret in your LC-universe? Might make things really interesting in the (immediate?) future.
Just because Clark is handling Kryptonian matters doesn't mean people know he's Kryptonian.

Big Apricot Superman Movieverse
The World of Lois & Clark
Richard White to Lois Lane: Lois, Superman is afraid of you. What chance has Clark Kent got? - After the Storm
#33394 10/14/06 05:51 AM
T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
But Kal-El had been so blasted obtuse. In fact, of all the varied versions of Clark Kent he’d met from various alternate time-lines, this one had to be one of the densest. Erasing someone’s memories? Give me a break.
I'm very glad that Clark is really angry at Kal-El. Maybe, like Olympe said, he should be even angrier.

“Why don’t you go talk to her now?” Clark suggested. Kal-El’s expression was bleak, defeated. He sighed as he stood and headed up the stairs to the main floor.
You really make me feel that Clark is the stern father who has just had a very serious talk with his errant son. Good!

Clark went up to the master bedroom and changed out of his suit into black trousers and a black turtleneck shirt. He refused to wear the black Kryptonian body suit that still hung in the back of the hidden closet with his other ‘suits’. His one concession tonight to signify his Kryptonian obligations was a blue enameled pendant with the sigil of the House of El.
I like this, too - Clark is showing Zara and Ching that he is no slave to their Kryptonian dress code. In fact, he is showing them that in a cultural sense, he himself is human, not Kryptonian.

“How did it go?” he asked his wife.

“Was I that galactically dense?” she wondered aloud.
Like Olympe said, this is really funny! I like it when Clark and Lois are able to reflect on their own behaviour.

Richard gave Penny a hug. Clark knew they had high hopes for tonight’s meeting. Like he and Lois before them, they’d been turned down by adoption agency social workers.
So Penny and Richard hope that they will be allowed to adopt one of Zara and Ching's children? Wow. That's a twist, to be sure. And it would, again, make this universe parallel the universe we saw in Superman Returns, where Richard is, of course, raising a Kryptonian - or at least half-Kryptonian - child.

Clark glanced out the French doors to the back deck. Kal-El and Wanda were still talking. Then, he leaned over and kissed her, a long tender kiss. He pulled away and Clark saw Wanda’s eyes widen. Then she slapped Kal-El. Hard.
Wow, what a scene! That one packs a punch - eh, a slap! A really hard one.

“We have to talk,” he said, head bowed, hands in his pants pockets. His posture was so familiar, so Clark-like. She almost had it . . . and it was gone again.
This is so interesting. Wanda knows that Kal-El is Clark Kent, she just can't accept(?) acknowledge(?) remember(?) that fact.

“They’re happy,” Wanda said, looking at the clouds. “Married ten years, four kids, two cars, a mortgage. They’re in love and they’re happy.” She glanced at Kal-El. His head was still down, looking at his feet, not at her.
How sad and poignant this is. This scene moves me very strongly. This Lois and this Superman are more or less strangers to one another, and their lives are, in many ways, lives of regret and bitterness. Yes, that is what Superman's rejection of Lois in Superman II would have led to - because make no mistake, it was a rejection.

“Just one really. Who am I, really? And I don’t have an answer. I’ve spent seventeen years trying to be the person my birth father’s AI thought I should be. And in that time, the person I ought to be, the person I’ve been all my life, has turned into someone I don’t even like. He’s a clumsy, cowardly fool and I’m not even sure how it happened.”
Very interesting.

There was a long silence as she tried to put more pieces together. “I know, intellectually, that you’re also Clark. But I still can’t quite believe it.”
No, it must be like having a part of your memory surgically removed. People tell you that things have happened in your life, and you used to know certain things, and you have to take them at their word. But there is nothing inside you that recognizes the truth of what they say.

“Can you undo it?”

To answer, he stepped closer, tipped her head up with his hand and kissed her. She remembered the sweetness of his mouth, the soft lips, the fervent promise of more.
So that's why he kissed her! I should have known.

He pulled back and the memories of that night, the night Jason was conceived, the night in the Fortress of Solitude came flooding back, overwhelming her senses. There was more than just that night – all the things she hadn’t put together afterwards, all the sly comments at work when it was discovered she was pregnant and Clark Kent, her partner, had disappeared to parts unknown, the understanding looks from Perry, the orders from Perry to go with Clark to do a story at Niagara Falls. Clark’s unconvincing arguments against it. It all came into focus and she was furious.

She slapped him as hard as she could.
She remembers! And she was certainly right to slap him.

“I remember Niagara Falls. And things I didn’t put together then, that didn’t make sense at the time,” she said. “We were set up. Somebody had a great laugh sending Mad Dog off on a honeymoon with her dweeby partner. Even if nothing had happened, they would have said it had. Only something did happen, and then you took off and they blamed me for it. Oh, nobody actually said it, and Perry was so understanding, and you hadn’t placed any blame on anybody for you needing to leave. And then when Jason was born and he looked just like you, only you didn’t come back . . .”
Oh, poor Lois!! How utterly humiliating and heartbreaking it would have been.

“I missed you. I missed my friend.”

“I missed you, too. I should never have left,” he said, resting his cheek on the top of her head.
She is forgiving him pretty fast. I hope she hasn't got some huge revenge scheme planned to get back at him.

“If I had stopped you, you would have ended up resenting it, resenting me,” she said. “We both know that.”
I think this is very true. When Superman had made up his mind to go to Krypton, Lois could not have stopped him. Or she could have, but he really would have ended up resenting her, blaming her for denying him the right to go seek out his birth world.

Very, very interesting, Dandello!

Ann

#33395 10/14/06 09:53 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
I like the insight that Kal-El doesn't even like his own CK persona. And the memories of Wanda's about the Planet staff yukkin' it up behind their backs? Wow. Never would've thought of that.

Great chapter, Dandello. And you ARE evil, posting a "fake" chapter 8. :p

"You take turns, advise and protect one another, even heal or be healed when the going gets too tough. I know! That's not a game--that's friendship!" ~Shelly Mezzanoble, Confessions of a Part-Time Sorceress: A Girl's Guide to the Dungeons & Dragons Game

Darcy\'s Place
#33396 10/14/06 12:10 PM
Top Banana
Top Banana
quote: “No chocolate?”

“You know Lara and Jordan are allergic and you can’t have any until the baby’s weaned. Sleep good, baby wired on chocolate bad, remember? Have some carob kisses instead.” He popped one in to her mouth.

I didn't know (half-)Kryptonians could be allergic, much less to choclate. I love this twist, however. It really shows how much Lois loves to have Clark's children that she is willing to do without chocolate. [Thumbsup]
In SR, Jason White, Lois's son, is asthmatic and allergic to damn near everything. Since allergies are an immune system over-response, I figure the half-Kryptonian kids have these issues until they grow out of them and their immune systems mature a little.

Big Apricot Superman Movieverse
The World of Lois & Clark
Richard White to Lois Lane: Lois, Superman is afraid of you. What chance has Clark Kent got? - After the Storm
#33397 10/14/06 08:00 PM
T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
It's interesting that several people have commented that Wanda/Lois forgives Kal-El/Superman too easily. I don't think she's forgiven him at all. She's simply reacting to an extremely stressful and emotional situation (her returning memories) slammed on top of another extremely stressful and emotional situation (being marooned in a different dimension). I don't think their relationship and their situation is anywhere near resolution yet.

And I like the way Clark is taking charge of the Zara/Ching fostering situation. But this situation may be fraught with danger in and of itself. I don't believe US law would support fostering, so from a legal perspective it will have to be treated as an adoption, even if Ching and Zara don't look at it that way. And if they come back to take their twelve-year-old child to New Krypton with them, wouldn't that create even more problems, both legal and personal? Just look how culturally acclimated Clark and Kal-El both are. Neither one of them really behave like Kryptonians, and raising a baby to early adolescence in the US would make it almost impossible to re-integrate the child to Kryptonian society. There's a lot you haven't told us yet, and I'm afraid some explosions are due.

Keep it coming! This is a good story, and I really like the way you're handling the Kal-El/Lois storyline.

Oh, Lois, anyone would be galactically stupid with some of his or her memories erased (or, in this case, maybe they were just hidden?) for reasons I've never been able to fathom. (I wrote about this situation in an essay titled "Identity Crisis Unraveled" which I know some of you read.) Like Clark, I think that taking someone's memories away is a very bad thing to do, and Kal is going to have to show some real change. I just hope he grows up a bit in this universe.

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing
#33398 10/16/06 02:17 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Hi,

Great part! hyper

Maria D. Ferdez.
---
Don't like Luthor, unfinished, untitled and crossover story, and people that promises and don't deliver. I'm getting choosy with age.
MAF

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard