Print Thread
#32919 09/24/06 05:54 AM
T
TOC Offline OP
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
Well, Janet, I asked you last time what your plans were regarding Lois and Clark's future relationship. I adored their awkward little "almost-proposing-almost-accepting" scenario that you served up for us in this chapter:

"It’s only fair that if a husband and wife both work outside the home, they should share the household tasks. I’m perfectly happy being the cook in this rela-” He stopped abruptly. “That is – well…”
“Clark… it’s okay,” she began awkwardly. “I didn’t think you meant – you know, anything specific about you and me, or… I mean, I know you didn’t mean you wanted to mar-“ She stopped, trying to swallow around the lump in her throat. She *wasn’t* going to get upset. Doggedly, she plowed on. “Well, you know – I didn’t take it seriously when your mom said –“
They so much want to get together, but they are so afraid of saying too much for fear of frightening the other one off. But Clark finds it in himself to be honest:

“I *did* mean it. I *do* mean it. I *want* us to be… together, like that. I love you. I want…” He took a deep breath. “I want to marry you, Lois. I want us to be husband and wife. It feels like I’ve wanted that forever. But…” His mouth quirked into the beginning of a smile. “I didn’t intend to propose to you in between stirring the pasta sauce. I meant to wait for a nice, romantic moment. So…”
He means it - so as soon as the pasta sauce is done, he'll propose?

Letting go of her hands long enough to cup her face gently in his larger hands, he leaned forward to kiss her softly, sweetly – and way too briefly.
Well - if he proposed to her now, she'd have no choice but to say yes.

But he's not going to pressure her:

“Can you consider this a… pre-proposal statement of intent? And then –“ He smiled. “…Could you be surprised, when I ask you for real?”
This is adorably sweet.

But suddenly, he isn't sure she is going to say yes:

He stopped rather abruptly again, the smile fading. “That is… If you even want to… Well, I guess I’m just assuming you’d say –“
But of course she will say yes. And the following paragraph is sparkling with joy and giddiness like champagne:

She felt the joy welling up inside her. Would she float off the chair if he weren’t holding her hands? When he looked at her like that… When he was… pre-proposing? …She felt lighter than the air around her. So if she wasn’t actually floating, she ought to be.
And I love your play on the words "I will" in this paragraph:

“I will. I *will* consider what you just said to be a pre-proposal. I *will* be surprised when you ask me for real. And –“ She smiled her own smile at him, letting him see everything she felt for him. “…I *will* say… ‘I will,’ …if you’re sure -”
And then they were both floating together. How delightful!

Then Clark asks her to accompany him to his parents, and suddenly she is feeling scared. What about sleeping arrangement?

“Where would we stay, Clark? Your parents only have one extra bedroom. It’s not that I don’t want…” She floundered. This was easier to think about than it was to talk about, and that wasn’t saying much. “Well, I’m just not sure I’m ready… That *we’re* ready…” She glanced rather desperately at the front door. Would it look silly if she made a dive for it?
She released a breath she hadn’t realized she was holding. “Oh, Clark.” It was nearly a whisper. Unable to resist, she leaned forward and kissed him softly, then tipped her forehead against his. This was easier to say if she wasn’t looking directly at him. “I’m… Well, I have no experience. At all. In… you know…”
She was so scared she was ready to bolt because she doesn't feel ready for intimacy yet, and she was afraid that she and Clark would be expected to share a room, and she doesn't feel ready for it.

I'm a little surprised. I wouldn't expect an elderly small-town American couple to automatically ask their son's girlfriend to sleep in the same room and bed as their son if he brought her along for a visit, particularly if they weren't even engaged and hadn't even been a couple for a long time at all. But perhaps Lois isn't being rational, and perhaps she isn't asking herself what kind of things the Kents would expect her to do. Perhaps she is simply tensing up, almost panicking, over the prospect of intimacy.

And of course - she isn't afraid of what the Kents will pressure her into doing, she is afraid of what Clark expects her to do. I'm glad he tells her that he is ready to wait for as long as she needs.

I can understand Lois's fear. She is a virgin, and more than a virgin. Ever since she was a small girl, she has held herself aloof from other people. She has been terribly alone, if not necessarily extremely lonely, and she has been cut off from other people. The idea of going from such a state of "untouchability" into physical intimacy is an overwhelmingly huge step, and I can't blame Lois for being scared.

For all of that, and because Lois and Clark are the sexiest couple I can imagine, I feel a little disappointed at Lois's skittishness. I hope you will be gently steering Lois into a greater and greater sense of security, comfort and trust around Clark. In other words, I hope your story will eventually show us how Lois is ready to take that final step with Clark.

Ann

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Hi,

Great part. thumbsup

He kissed her again, just as gently. “And don’t worry – at Mom and Dad’s house, you’ll get my old room. I’ll sleep on the couch. They won’t assume anything different, Lois. We won’t have to explain anything to them.” Taking her hands again, he asked, “Does that help?”
blush

More ASAP, please.

MAF hyper

Maria D. Ferdez.
---
Don't like Luthor, unfinished, untitled and crossover story, and people that promises and don't deliver. I'm getting choosy with age.
MAF
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Still keeping an eye out for updates on this story!

“I don’t know how to cook anything that doesn’t come in its own pan, frozen, with directions on how long to leave it in the oven…” she said. “…Or the microwave.” What if he minded about that? What if it really mattered, and -
Just described my cooking skills to a T. :p

But…” His mouth quirked into the beginning of a smile. “I didn’t intend to propose to you in between stirring the pasta sauce.
That was just so endearing, I had to grin.

Anyway, great to see another part!
Jen

"Meg...who let you back in the house?" -Family Guy
T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
This was a very sweet chapter. As Ann and Maria already mentioned, I really liked the "pre-proposal" scene in Clark's kitchen and Lois's "pre-acceptance" in response. I like the fact that they're on the same page as far as the intimacy question, although I had to go back and check out a couple of previous chapters (20 & 21) where I assumed they'd already crossed the "intimacy threshold." Guess I was wrong, since you didn't actually say that, and now they're talking about waiting for the wedding. Yay! This echoes one of the themes I like to put in my own stories, so it's nice to hear from someone who apparently feels as I do about this subject.

However, I must register a question which approaches a complaint. As sweet as the story has become, and as much as I'm cheering for a positive romantic resolution to this story, I'm wondering where the dragons have gone. Luthor has been apprehended, Superman's "out" and getting rave reviews, Clark and Lois are totally simpatico on their relationship, and Lois has found not just one person but an entire family who accepts her just as she is, so where's the conflict?

I'm hoping there's some coming. Not that I ever root for bad things to happen to people (even fictional people), but life just doesn't seem to work like that. Every time I think I've got Alice's flamingo under control, it sticks out a wing or a leg or a beak and I have to spend time wrestling it back into line. Lois's conflicts of the earlier chapters were so poignant that I looked for the next chapter of this story on a daily basis, hoping to find out how she might overcome the next set of problems tossed into her path. But the story seems to have lost some momentum and some of its direction. Maybe this is just the calm before the storm. I hope so, because you write very well and I always enjoy reading these chapters, even the romantic ones.

wildguy

Here's rooting for some dragons to appear and be soundly defeated! (Even if they leave some scratches on our heroes in the process.) They don't have to be big, scary dragons. They can be little ones that just singe Lois's toes before she cages them. But I have to believe that you've brought us this far and made us feel so "awwwww" about them that the dragon impact, when it does appear, will be that much greater.

Keep them coming! I like it, despite my feedback. And I plan to read all of it, I promise.

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing
Top Banana
Top Banana
I love every part of this great story, from the beginning, when I have literally cried for little Lois and her sweet Mama, to this wonderful post, which gave me so positive feelings during a stressful day, so thank you!
I really cannot quote my favourite part, everything is just perfect! smile1 I think in this post Lois basically says she has never dated, so I hoping to see in the near future our Lois going to her first real date with her boyfriend, before he ufficially propose her! wink

With or with out new dragons, I'm looking forward your next post!

Simona smile

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard