Next Thread
Print Thread
T
TOC Offline OP
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
All I have time for is some mini-micro-feedback, so fasten your seatbelts, please....

“Ok, Lois, first off, if you go home, you get to work with Superman. That’s a plus,” Bridget began.

“And he’s in love with a thinner version of me,” Lois argued. “So that’s a good and bad point.”
I love this, Lois weighing the pros and cons of going back to Metropolis with Superman! The fact that Lois believes Clark to be in love with a thinner version of her really makes the choice interesting.

And this was completely irresistibly funny, but I would find it unspeakably horrible, if it happened to me:

“Lois, that’s so great! You can stay at my place until you find a new apartment, of course. That is, if you want to.”

“Like *that* won’t get the press in an uproar,” Lois said, picturing tabloid journalists lurking outside on the balcony, taking pictures of her as she walked around Superman’s apartment and having them end up on the cover of the National Whisper with the headline: “BBW girlfriend Lois Lane parades around naked in Superman’s love nest”.
And I completely loved this little snippet - so Lois, so Clark, and so sweet:

“Smallville? That’s really the name of the town? I thought when people said you were from ‘Smallville’ they were being sarcastic, like it was their own private slang for someone coming from a hick town. Oh, I’m sorry, Clark,” as she noticed his crestfallen expression at her snark about his home town. “I know you lost your parents when you were young, and I’m sure you have a lot of sentimental memories of your time growing up there. I might be bored out there in the middle of nowhere, to be honest, but if I’m going to have no privacy in Metropolis, it might be a viable option to consider. Thanks for the offer.”
As for the hypnotizing session, well, I'm a hardened old skeptic, and I'm afraid I don't believe in reincarnation. And I was a little disappointed at this:

You must realize that remaining overweight is not good for your health. From this point on, you will no longer look at food as a safety net. You will eat healthy foods. You will no longer eat when you’re not hungry. You will realize that you are deserving of love and that you are a beautiful person and gradually you will bring your weight down until it is proportionate with your height. You will no longer blame yourself for what happened to you in that other life.
How do I put this? I believe that so many people become overweight today because so much food is available, it is served in such large helpings, and it's so perfectly attuned to the average "peak preferences" of human beings. Coca-Cola, for example, must have gotten something right to be able to make such huge numbers of people drink it daily. And MacDonalds. And many other producers of fast foods and snacks.

In short, I believe we become overweight because most people find it attractive to eat large helpings of good-tasting, if fattening, food. I would guess we are genetically programmed to eat sweet and fatty foods whenever they are available, and in as large quatitites as possible, because during most of the lifetime of the human race food has been scarce, and starvation has been a real threat to our survival. Eat now, survive later - that's the rule that used to apply, but doesn't do so any longer. Therefore, I believe most of us do not become fat primarily because we have a problem in our lives, but because we are genetically programmed to like sweet and fatty foods.

I would like you to keep this Lois fat, because I really think she is more interesting that way! thumbsup

Ann

Nan Offline
Kerth
Kerth
Ann, I have to respectfully disagree with you here. In the parameters of the *Lois and Clark universe*, reincarnation *is* a viable explanation. I don't believe in reincarnation either but I based a whole series on it because it exists in the L and C universe. There aren't any magic shoes or other magical items but the Oz series, by L. Frank Baum, was based on magic. A writer accepts a series of premises for her story and, if the writer stays consistent to those premises, they are perfectly acceptable, no matter what exists in the real world.

Whatever may be the real reason for the large number of overweight people in the world today, and whatever our own opinions may be, this is a premise of the story. The writer has no obligation to change it because of the private opinions of the readers unless her idea is completely outside the already established premises. The most you should ask for is a content warning, such as I put at the beginning of each of my "Home" stories.

Nan

Earth is the insane asylum for the universe.
Top Banana
Top Banana
Wow! Did I unleash a debate here? I'm thinking that Wells came back and made Lois and Clark remain celibate until they fixed an issue in their past lives. So I'm thinking that maybe in the Alt-Universe, there were other, different issues that caused this Lois to have a different body type than *our* Lois.

Nan: I put a disclaimer up, and thanks for the tip about that. I never think of past lives or reincarnation as a religious belief, but I guess that it is, and certainly don't want to offend anyone reading the story!

I've listened to past-life regression hypnosis tapes, and they never worked for me. I've also listened to weight-loss hypnosis tapes, and I tried to combine the two. I also thought it might be interesting if Bridget Crosby was a past-life friend of sorts..and her kids moving west and "abandoning" Lois, the way they have kind of left her in the lurch in this life, might be interesting too.

I guess what I'm saying is that = for God's sake, we're reading a story about a man from another galaxy that can fly! If we want to believe that, we should be able to suspend out beliefs on other things too!

And Ann...hypnosis doesn't always work...so don't worry about Lois becoming skinny overnight or anything. And, like I said before, a thin person that was formerly fat always sees the fat person looking back at them in the mirror. And our self-image is what changes the way we view the world and react to it.

Oh, I'm at work. Have to stop right now!! I just love a delicious debate though!

Back later!

Chris

"Together we are stronger than each of us is apart"
T
TOC Offline OP
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
Please, Chris, I don't want to make a big issue out of the reincarnation thing. It's not a big deal, and I don't see your story primarily as a reincarnation story anyway. Interesting: I don't have a serious problems with the idea of alternate universes and alternate versions of Lois and Clark, even though I don't honestly believe in those, either. However, I have seen so many different versions of Lois and Clark in my lifetime that it somehow seems more natural to me that there should exist alternate versions of our favorite reporters than that they should have existed as other people, in other bodies, not Lois and Clark, in earlier times but in the same universe. Because of that, I found my interest slackening during the hypnosis and "reincarnation" part of your story, but that was really all I was trying to say.

I do think that the present "overweight epidemic" or even "overweight pandemic" has everything to do with our changing eating habits. Believe me, I'm 51 years old and I remember what it was like during the sixties, at least here in Sweden. Fast food hardly existed, apart from hot dogs. People ate traditional Swedish dishes. Normal helpings were relatively small. People ate three meals a day, breakfast, lunch and dinner, and little else. Most days, kids ate no ice cream, cookies, cakes, candy, chocolate, potato chips etcetera, and they drank no Coke, Fanta or other carbonated soft drinks. Hamburgers and pizza didn't exist. A fat kid was a teenager weighing ten pounds too much. Throughout the sixties, I never once saw an obese person in real life.

I most certainly agree with Nan that one fat individual can be fat for all kinds of different reasons. It is indeed quite possible that he or she is trying to expel a sense of unhappiness by eating too much. I'm just saying that people must have been unhappy in Sweden in the sixties too, but at that time they weren't fat, because they didn't have the kind of eating habits that could easily make people gain weight. And the reason why they didn't have these eating habits was, pure and simple, that they weren't immersed in today's relentless "eating culture".

I do think it is hard to resist binging on delicious food when it is easily available, and that is why so many people are fat today. I think it would be interesting if Lois, too, was to share this problem that affects so many people all over the world today.

Also, I think that hypnosis can't be a miracle cure, because if it was the problem of overweight would largely go away. Of course... I can see that there might be only a few people who are good enough at hypnotizing others to transform them into slim people who will stay slim for the rest of their lives. Bridget might, indeed, be such a miracle worker, but no matter how hard she worked at hypnotizing people, she would hardly make a dent in the collective overweight of the human race today.

Anyway, Chris, I've said it before and I'll say it again: this is such a timely, hugely interesting premise for a Lois and Clark story.

Ann

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Hi,

Great part. thumbsup

Bridget: “When did you start gaining weight? Do you remember what was going on in your life?

Lois: “Yes, my father stopped coming home every night and my mother was drinking. She was very upset. It made me very insecure so I started sneaking food into my room at night.”
thumbsup Her father was responsible. She didn't say that her parents fought a lot. Sam didn't seem to care about his family.

Lois: “I died. I refused to leave my husband and the four of them came back and this time, after they raped me, they slit my throat and left me there to bleed to death. I remember thinking as I was lying there that if I had been fat and ugly, this wouldn’t have happened to me.”

Bridget looks at Clark and they both nod knowingly realizing intuitively that this incident is the reason for Lois’ weight problem in this life.
Love whole hypnotizes session. thumbsup

eek Clark could see the name Lang in Smallville.
But in that past life Bridget was a man.

More ASAP, please.

MAF hyper

Maria D. Ferdez.
---
Don't like Luthor, unfinished, untitled and crossover story, and people that promises and don't deliver. I'm getting choosy with age.
MAF
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Intersting debate. Good segment of story. It is going rather smoothly at this point and I am wondering if we will run into any kind of angst or twist or if they will just live happily ever after at this point.

Hmm the weight issue. Well genetics, modern society, depression, emotional eating, I guess everyone reason is ther own. It will be a life struggle for me I am afraid. I haven't made the connection Oprah has talked about with myself. Sometimes I think when the world pulls at you from all different angles the tendency may be to self indulge for comfort knowing full well that it is self destructive. Maybe destruction is easier then fighting yourself daily. I am not sure but it has made me persue therapy. It is the only thing I haven't tried. Hypnosis and every diet under the sun does not work for me because I just don't want to do it in my own head. I am not sure why. Logically I understand my hypertension and probable eventual Diabedes if I continue. It is like I do it to spite myself. Maybe someday I will figure it out, but I doubtit is past life oriented<g> Laura

Clark: “If we can be born in an instant, and die in an instant, why can’t we fall in love in an instant?”

Caroline's "Stardust"
Columnist
Columnist
great part and interesting topic.

Loved it and can't wait for the next part.

smile1

It is Friday here. wink

Top Banana
Top Banana
Hi everyone,

thanks for the feedback. I do think that overeating can be for emotional reasons. I know that when I was a kid, my mother was sick and in the hospital alot, and I got bounced around for baby sitting purposes while my father went to work. I was normal weight until I was about 6, when I went to school I would worry whether or not my mother would be home when I got out of school. I'm pretty sure I developed bad eating habits - eating = love for me. Once you're overweight as a child, you will have a life long problem for sure.

As someone who has conquered weight for a while and then lost the battle again, I do believe that very attractive women do get "harassed" alot. Being overweight protects a woman from all that attention - being hit on, etc. It can be a subconscious way to be left alone. Problem is, when there's a guy you really want to notice you, he generally doesn't.

I believe that there are lots of reasons that people become overweight. Lack of exercise is certainly one, but emotional overeating is something I've personally done. I've broken the habit, but once you're overweight all you have to do is look at food and it seems to go straight to your hips.

And strong-willed people don't usually do well with hypnosis, so we're going to see how it affects Lois' eating habits, if it does.

Angst? There's going to be some. No real WHAMs though. A story isn't interesting without SOME angst....

See ya tomorrow nite!

Chris

Top Banana
Top Banana
Nono, see you should change it so Lois is just lazy so I can identify with her. LOL (joking!!) I have no one but myself to blame for my problems. I just plain don't try to lose any. Although I am going to start my first real try at it with diet and excercise.

Anyway, I have recently started following this story and I have to say I love the premise and so far the whole story. I'm looking forward to the paths you take Lois and Clark down in this one. ^_^

Thanks for sharing it!

Angry Clark: CLARK SMASH!
Lois: Ork!
Top Banana
Top Banana
Hi everyone,

I have to play the piano at a wedding tomorrow and I have a migraine so I'm thinking that I'm going to post Chapter 9 tomorrow nite and Chapter 10 on Monday nite. RL stuff keeps getting in the way I guess. All good intentions, though...really!

For a little sneak preview:

Clark and Lois are going to be flying back to the States. Question though: HAs anyone thought about how fast Clark could go when he's carrying someone? I mean, the Concorde at top speed was like 1500 miles an hour. If the distance between the Congo and the East coast of the U.s. is abot 7500 miles or so, how many hours would it realistically take to fly back when you have a passenger? I would think the G-force would kill the passenger if you went faster the speed of sound...

Anyone have a thought about that? I'm debating on how many hours it would take Clark to fly Lois home...

Or we could just say his aura protects her from everything magically....LOL

any thoughts on the subject??

Chris

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Hi,

Or we could just say his aura protects her from everything magically....LOL
I like the aura protects. thumbsup

MAF

Maria D. Ferdez.
---
Don't like Luthor, unfinished, untitled and crossover story, and people that promises and don't deliver. I'm getting choosy with age.
MAF
T
TOC Offline OP
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
It is an off-and-on canon thing that Superman has an aura (well, sometimes writers seem to forget it). I do think that Superman could fly quite fast with a passenger, because his aura would protect her, if he held her close to her. Yes, I think he could faster than the fastest air planes without hurting his passenger.

Ann

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
As Ann said, it is an on and off canon that Superman has an aura. I'm pretty sure it's LnC canon. I think it's fanon that he can't fly his fastest while carrying someone, and it makes sense that he wouldn't be able to carry someone across the ocean in a second without causing them harm. I don't think he is ever seen flying extremely fast with anyone on the show.

I'm just now reading all 8 posted chapters. Great story. Interesting feedback, too. I love it that you made a Clark who loves Lois regardless of what she looks like.

On another aside, which has nothing to do with your story, I also don't believe in reincarnation, but that doesn't mean I was offended in any way by your story. (My least favorite episode by the way was 'Soul Mates'.)

When I read part one and Lois was called Great Dane Lane, I just felt so bad for her. Awww....

I haven't read through all the other feedback, but I wonder if anyone else has asked if Bridget Crosby looks suspiciously like Margot Kidder... laugh

Is snark really a word? I don't think I like it.

Anyway, this is a great story, and I look forward to the next part. Take care of the migraine. I feel for you.

Nan, I'm curious as to why you had to put a content warning in your Home series. Is that because there was no Lois? (The Home series is my absolute favorite, and any of you who haven't read it need to, in my opinion.)

~~Even heroes have the right to dream.~~

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard