Print Thread
#32510 09/06/06 05:28 AM
T
TOC Offline OP
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
It was interesting to see Clark with Henderson. I've always liked the Chief of Police. Of course, Bill Henderson was always particularly irresistible when he was talking to Lois, so it's a pity she isn't here. Anyway, I'm glad he came clean with Clark and made him understand that he had figured out Clark's secret long ago! But Clark didn't want to admit that the new superhero who resuced Jenni Green is Zared, eh?

As for that thing about Candy, the girl Clark dated - I'll just say this much: it didn't improve my image of Clark as a sexual being in this story. And not even primarily because of Candy's bisexuality, but because Clark allowed himself to be talked into having sex with her when he wasn't in love with her.

But I sure liked it that Jon got his suit! And you know I liked the suit you had Martha make for him! smile

Ah, well, you know I don't want Clark to have sex with anyone but Lois, so whenever he brings a female to bed in your story, I get uncomfortable. I have no such compunctions when it comes to his sons, however, and I loved this snippet of dialogue between Jon and Hannah, after Jon showed her his new super-suit:

"You like?"

"I like! I'm like Jenni, too. I'd like to take it off."

"Did Jenni really say that to you about Zared?"

"You bet! We've discussed your knack for kissing, too. She says Zared's kisses fill her with more passion, but that's because she is more drawn to him. As for just kissing, she says you do it very well."
Too funny, Nancy! smile1 smile1 smile1

But the Mutilator is about to kill both Jenni and Margeaux, and he threatens Anamarie, too. But...

Jon arrived from one side, and Zared arrived from the other. They touched down at the same time.
Zared and Jon wasted no time. Jon grabbed the gun as he heard Clark think, <Don't destroy it!> Jon threw the gun into the pool. Zared took the pole of a table umbrella and wrapped it around the Mutilator.

Jon helped Jenni. "Are you okay, Ms. Green?"

She smiled at him, "Yeah. Just a little shaken."

Zared helped Margeaux get up. "I don't think he's going to hurt you anymore."
Yay!!! Sons of Superman to the rescue!!! Go, Jon and Zared!!! smile1

Chloe pulled Clark out of the water and as Claire pulled Caitlyn out of the water.
And well done, Claire and Chloe, too! smile1

I just loved this:

Even in the midst of all this danger, those with their min-comps were flashing pictures and recording videos of the heroes and of the Mutilator. Bruce watched as the events unfolded. He thought that it was just as well that pictures were being taken. It would be a good record for the police.
How typical! Isn't this what kids do these days? Take pictures with their cell phones - you called them min-comps? - all the time! Anyway, how typical! I liked it that Bruce just watched, too, instead of joining the fray. He let the Kent family handle the Mutilator.

And I loved this:

Somebody else said to Zared, "What's your name? You haven't said so far."

"Umm..."

"FireWind. His name is FireWind."

People turned to Jenni questioningly. She said, "Well, since I was his first rescue, I think he should be called FireWind. You know because he looks like fire in the wind."

"Why thank you Ms. Green. I hadn't decided on name yet. I think that will do very nicely." He turned at looked at the crowd. "I'm FireWind. Well, I must be going now. Bye."
How adorable! Zared hasn't thought of a name for himself yet, but Jenni names him on the spot! I love it! (And FireWind is a really good name, too.)

And this was just too sweet and funny:

Zared came walking back out. He acted like he had also been a witness to the events. "Oh, my." He grinned at Jenni. "You better behave. I can't have you getting a crush on FireWind, too. The one you have on Superman is bad enough."

She smiled at him. "I only have eyes for you, Zared Kent. Superman still has his charm, though."
Adorable!!! And this was just lovely, too:

The girl from their class that Zared had helped at the scene of the multi-car accident walked over to Zared and Jenni. She smiled at Jenni. "It is something to be rescued by one of them, eh?" Jenni agreed. The girl smiled up at Zared. "You just better watch out, Zared Kent, or FireWind might move in on you." She smiled and turned away.

Zared took a deep breath and whispered. "Ooohh... Thank goodness. She didn't recognize me."
And we got to see Meowoof one more time in this chapter:

Meowoof purred against Clark and was obviously upset. Clark said, "What's wrong girl? That mean man hurt your 'people'? Did you get him good, girl? Did you?" She purred happily.
I just love that kitty!

And this was funny:

The officer looked up at him. "Who are you?"

"Bruce Wayne. I'm one of the chaperones."

The officer just cocked his eyebrow at him and said, "Hmmph.." He wondered why Bruce Wayne was at this shindig.
Yes indeed, why would billionaire Bruce Wayne be one of the chaperones at Jon and Zared Kent's graduation party? We know, of course, but the poor policeman must wonder.

And this is an interesting paragraph:

Jon and Clark were both dressed as Supermen. Or at least they were. Clark's suit lay mostly at the foot of the guerney. He wasn't happy that his two sons were now embarking on their own super hero career, but now at least one of them could openly stay with him if he had to stay in the hospital. No one needed to know anything other than that they were friends. That was certainly true. He thought of both of his sons as friends.
Clark is such a good and caring father, and therefore he worries about the dangers his sons will meet, now that they have embarked on their careers as superheroes. But now he can have a more adult relaitonship with them. I loved it that he thought of both his sons as his friends.

This paragraph mystified me:

He hadn't seen Jon's outfit and hadn't known what it was going to look like. It looked good, but it also meant something else. Something he was hoping he wouldn't really have to face. He looked at the pale gray curtains hanging as a divider between the beds. Were they gray the last time he was here?
What would the pale gray curtains signify? I'm afraid you lost me there. The only things I can think of are:

a) pale gray as in the color of depression, as a symbol of Clark's mood?

b) pale gray as a symbol of "the fading of the light", as a symbol of Clark's deteriorating condition?

I loved this image of Jon:

He looked over at his son, who after sitting with his father in the emergency room for five hours had lost much of his stoicism. He'd actually fallen asleep. A nurse had put a blanket over him. That was sweet of her. The blanket was blue. The blue blanket along with the gray curtains, Jon's outfit and the fact that he was asleep was one more reminder of what he was getting ready to face.
The handsome young superhero is asleep like a little boy. This is an adorable image. And a motherly nurse has put a blanket over him. This is heartwarming. After all, I'm sure the motherless boy must miss his own Mom, Lois.

Looking forward to the rest of this story, Nancy!

Ann

P.S. I think my favorite name for Jon would be Blue Flame.

#32511 09/06/06 07:46 AM
SNL Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Wow! Fantastic! Brilliant! hyper dance

What more can I say?

I LOVE Meowoof's role - she is one cool cat! party

Looking forward to Part 25

Regards,

SNL

#32512 09/06/06 08:22 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Hi,

Great part. thumbsup

As soon as the Metropolis Mutilator realized Clark knew he wasn't who he was supposed to be, he had arisen to his feet. Just as Clark tried to grab his wrist, he snapped a karate type kick right into the middle of Clark's abdomen. Clark immediately and involuntarily doubled over. The blow sent sent him into the pool, and he landed hard. He watched in horror as the Mutilator slugged Caitlyn in the face. She also hit the water hard, and when she did the water around her turned red. Meowoof was not about to see her 'humans' hurt, and she gave this madman a vicious swipe of her claws down his forearm.
Meowoof is the heroine! thumbsup

I'd really like to kill you in front of Margeaux." Then he addressed Margeaux, "You'd like that, wouldn't you my sweet? Ah, but I guess your mother was enough."

Anamarie was shocked. "Mother?"
confused I thought the mother was not in her apartment when he went there?

He gave a small smile. "I'm Steel Lightning."

Zared thought, <Yeah, I might have known you would already have a name. Jon, do you realize you don't have any boots on?>

<Maybe no one will notice.>

Somebody else said to Zared, "What's your name? You haven't said so far."

"Umm..."

"FireWind. His name is FireWind."
Love both names. thumbsup

Meowoof purred against Clark and was obviously upset. Clark said, "What's wrong girl? That mean man hurt your 'people'? Did you get him good, girl? Did you?" She purred happily.
hyper

Maria D. Ferdez.
---
Don't like Luthor, unfinished, untitled and crossover story, and people that promises and don't deliver. I'm getting choosy with age.
MAF
#32513 09/06/06 02:47 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Thanks TOC, SNL, and Maria.

Take pictures with their cell phones - you called them min-comps? - all the time
Actually this is supposed to be mini-comp. I managed to leave the 'i' out. I'll fix that. This is set a few years into the future, and I figure by that time combination cell-phones / hand-held computers will be much more common than just a cell phone. I just thought calling them a mini-comp sounded like a logical name. And yes, kids like to take pics with them.

The confusion at the end of this story - the gray curtains, the blue blanket, being in the hospital emergency room, and Jon's outfit - will be cleared up in the next part.

As for Hannah and Jenni talking about their boyfriends, isn't this typical behaviour for teenagers?

Maria noted:

I thought the mother was not in her apartment when he went there?
She wasn't. He was bluffing. Thanks for catching this. I had a part where the police tell them their mother is okay. I guess I'm like Ann. My mouse must have been hurt and forgot to cut and paste. Anyway, I forgot to paste that part in. I'll fix it.

Nancy

~~Even heroes have the right to dream.~~
#32514 09/06/06 03:37 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Hi,

I was wondering why Henderson was not on the scene.

Love the new part. thumbsup

Maria D. Ferdez.
---
Don't like Luthor, unfinished, untitled and crossover story, and people that promises and don't deliver. I'm getting choosy with age.
MAF
#32515 09/06/06 03:39 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Thanks, Maria!

#32516 09/07/06 09:40 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
Okay, Nancy, I promised you words and here they are. laugh

First, I should confess that I've skimmed over some parts of the story so I only have a sketchy idea of what's happening with Clark's children. I'm a self-confessed Clark-o-file, so he's always my main point of interest in any story I read. That said, I can see that you're weaving a complicated and compelling tale of second-generation Kryptonian/human kids learning how to be who they are while still trying to fit into normal everyday life. I think you've captured the children's attitudes and dialogue very well, particularly the teenagers.

Overall, leaving aside a fun discussion we could have on (mostly minor) points of characterisation, you've got a great story to tell and I wish you well with that.

What I wanted to raise with you was the issue of narrative and bringing the story alive for your reader. You see, sometimes when I'm reading your story, I get a very good sense of the scene you're painting and the emotions of the characters involved, but at other times, I feel like I'm reading lines from a play without even the benefit of stage directions to give me those all-important clues as to how the characters are feeling and what the scene should look like in my head as I'm reading.

Now, before I go any further, I want you to know that I'm merely attempting a bit of friendly feedback that's constructive as well as complimentary. If I offend by doing so, then I apologise and I'll step quietly away. smile

Okay. /me takes a deep breath.

Clearly, you're quite capable of doing the scene-painting thing:

"What?!" Clark put his hands in front of him in a, 'Oh, come on' manner. Bill continued. "It's not my place. I mean..."
And then, a couple of paras later:

Bill watched Clark a moment then rested his chin on his fist. "Okay, if I'm right, then are you going to answer all my questions?"
But then we get 17 exchanges of conversation between Henderson and Clark with no clue as to how either of them are behaving. At a pretty significant moment in Clark's life - when Clark tells Henderson who he is - we get no reaction at all from either Henderson or Clark:

"Okay. You *are* Superman, aren't you? I mean, I don't know how you've sometimes been in the same place at the same time. I mean Superman and Clark Kent, but heck you are an alien. What do I know? Maybe you can split yourself in half."

"Yes, Bill, I'm Superman. I suspect you have known that for a long time. A couple or so times when another of me has been seen, the other one was from another dimension. Once it was a hologram. And no, I can't split myself in two, but I have been known to deconstruct myself down to the molecular level so I can go through things...
Now, this little exchange could be interpretated in two different ways, depending on how Clark and Henderson react. We can do this:

"Okay. You *are* Superman, aren't you?" Henderson stabbed his finger at Clark accusingly. "I mean, I don't know how you've sometimes been in the same place at the same time. I mean Superman and Clark Kent, but heck you are an alien. What do I know?" He shrugged and tugged down the corners of his mouth. "Maybe you can split yourself in half."

Clark grimaced. "Yes, Bill, I'm Superman." He sighed heavily. "I suspect you have known that for a long time. A couple or so times when another of me has been seen, the other one was from another dimension. Once it was a hologram. And no, I can't split myself in two, but I have been known to deconstruct myself down to the molecular level so I can go through things...
Or we can do this:

"Okay. You *are* Superman, aren't you?" Henderson spoke hesitantly. "I mean, I don't know how you've sometimes been in the same place at the same time. I mean Superman and Clark Kent, but heck you are an alien. What do I know?" He smiled ruefully. "Maybe you can split yourself in half."

Clark chuckled. "Yes, Bill, I'm Superman." He grinned broadly. "I suspect you have known that for a long time. A couple or so times when another of me has been seen, the other one was from another dimension. Once it was a hologram. And no, I can't split myself in two, but I have been known to deconstruct myself down to the molecular level so I can go through things...
See? Hopefully my writing skills are up to illustrating the difference. blush So much depends on those little narrative clues to tell us what our characters are really thinking as they speak their lines.

Here's another thing:

Clark immediately and involuntarily doubled over. The blow sent sent him into the pool, and he landed hard. He watched in horror
I imagine that blow hurt Clark a lot, but we get no sense of this. Maybe he was too concerned about Caitlyn to notice the pain? Either way, we'd get a more vivid experience of the action if we knew.

We also don't get any sense of how the children feel about their father and his girlfriend having just been beaten up and, in the case of their father, possibly being fairly ill and in pain as a result. Surely they're worried?

Clark spoke to Caitlyn. "Are you okay?"
Are they lying down? Sitting up? In the case of Clark, clutching his stomach, or braving it out with only the occasional wince? Is Caitlyn tending to her own injuries, or fussing over Clark? Are they on the edge of the pool on hard concrete or on slightly more forgiving grass? Are they sopping wet and dripping with water? Shivering?

The only person whose feelings and behaviour we know for definite is the cat's:

Meowoof purred against Clark and was obviously upset.
Again, you can obviously do this stuff and do it very nicely. I just think you need to do more of it - without going OTT, of course! smile

There are lots more examples I could quote, but I don't want to labour the point. Again, apologies if you don't want this sort of feedback, or would prefer to receive it in private. It's just that we have a tradition of constructive criticism on these boards and I thought it would be nice to resurrect it.

Happy writing!

Yvonne

#32517 09/07/06 11:16 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
While I've written several stories, this is the first one that I've had the nerve to post. I have posted three vignettes since I started posting this one, though. Since I'm new, I'll take any help I can get, so no, I don't mind at all. I guess sometimes I feel that the story has gotten 'cumbersome' and I wonder if the reader really wants all the detail. I know there have been many parts that I've just plain deleted because I didn't think people would be interested. I will re-think that.

I'm also interested in your characterization ideas. Feel free to email me. I will say though, that my characterization is not strictly LnC. I've been a Superman fan since I was a small child, and sometimes I find it difficult to stick with strictly LnC. I know I got a lot of flack over the Mayson incident - both here and via private email.

Any help you can offer will be greatly appreciated. Take a look at Defeated and tell me what you think.

Nancy

#32518 09/08/06 10:31 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
Nancy, it sounds like you're hitting that low spot most people get when they're writing a long story. The initial enthusiasm for the new project has worn off, you've been living with these characters and their problems for what seems like forever, you pretty much know what's going to happen in the end, and you're just tired. Hang in there! It's worth the slog, honest. smile

I guess sometimes I feel that the story has gotten 'cumbersome' and I wonder if the reader really wants all the detail. I know there have been many parts that I've just plain deleted because I didn't think people would be interested. I will re-think that.
Depends what you mean by detail. If you mean details about what Caitlyn ate for breakfast, or what colour shoes she's wearing, then no, we don't want that. laugh We also don't want the life history of minor characters, or side stories about how Jon fell in the water aged six and had to be rescued by his Dad.

But we do want the detail about what the characters are doing, thinking and feeling as your story unfolds. Yes, we can get some of that from their dialogue, but not all of it.

As regards characterisation, I won't discuss that here, because it's a subject which can get very contentious and we've already had an awful lot of debates about it. I may email you privately, but not soon - life is somewhat hectic at the moment and my brain feels like useless mush right now rather than a razor sharp intellectual instrument. laugh

Yvonne

#32519 09/12/06 12:23 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Just wanted to give you guys an update. Part 25 is ready, but I need to re-read it once more. Now I have a migraine. (Those seem to be going around of late on the boards...) I'll post it as soon as I can.

Nancy

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard